HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan Malone

Old
06-12-2012, 11:50 PM
Glide5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
To

LW Ryan Malone ($4.5M)
2012 2nd RND pick [#37 via MIN/SJ]

Sabres get a big-bodied winger to play w/ Hodgson & Pommer, as well as a solid 2nd RND pick.

To

D Andrej Sekera ($2.75M)
C/LW Luke Adam ($875K RFA)
2012 3rd RND pick

Bolts get a likely top-2, shutdown d-man with some scoring upside to play with Hedman or Brewer, and a big, young C/W with good upside who has seemingly been passed over by Foligno & Tropp.

Thoughts?
Ya i like this trade. It addresses some issues, and doesnt really create any for the bolts. We can replace Malone a whole lot easier than we can get a top 4 defensive player right now.

Glide5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 02:57 AM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Overpayment by Buffalo, Sekera alone is worth Malone and the 2nd.

Would Leopold + Adam for Malone work if Sekera is off the table?

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 03:09 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Well.... I am game for the Malone-Martin trade.

A bizarre situation considering valuations when Martin signed with Pittsburgh, but I agree with the OP that Martin will likely find himself in a different organization and a pairing with Hedman would be good for both. Moreover, aside from the nightmare series against Philly, Martin has not been anywhere as bad as many/mopst would believe. The real problem with him is that his qualities weren't what Pittsburgh needed in a 5 million dollar D-man. Rather, his relative weaknesses were exactly the areas we needed to improve in (size, physicality, PP qualities from the right point). Put him in the right situation where his qualities addresses team needs, (big minutes, great skating and anticipation, great stickwork, very good and fast outlets from D aiding transition) and you have a player who is worth his cap-hit and a first pairing D-man.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 03:16 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
TB also couldn't be on Martin's list of limited NMC teams where he won't accept a trade, but I don't see that.

Personally, as a Pens fan, I'd move Kennedy and Martin for Malone (and the 2.5M in cap space).
Bizarre to want to add Kennedy, IMO. But maybe you didn't notice him once again being among our best players in the playoffs?

Further, being anal, it doesn't open 2.5 million in cap-space, as there's a roster spot you'd need to fill instead.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 05:40 AM
Blitz
Welcome 2 HH Archie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
Overpayment by Buffalo, Sekera alone is worth Malone and the 2nd.

Would Leopold + Adam for Malone work if Sekera is off the table?
No. Malone is not a typical 1st line winger - He is a proven power-forward commodity who can score as well (think Clowe 2yrs ago...). Sekera is great, and I love his game - that said we get the same style of play from Ehrhoff & Leopold, and going forward Pysyk. Andrej is expendable for the sake of adding a talented big-body to an otherwise undersized/underpowered team. This isn't Mason Raymond we're talking about...

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 06:56 AM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Tampa has been trying to trade him for a couple years now but due to his no trade clause and inflated contract its lowered his value down much more then you think. Sekera has quite a bit more trade value and if we are trading him it better be in a package for players like Staal or Pavelski... don't get me wrong tho, I like Malone and the kind of game he plays would be nice to have, just not at the expense of Rej.

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 07:20 AM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Tampa has been trying to trade him for a couple years now but due to his no trade clause and inflated contract its lowered his value down much more then you think. Sekera has quite a bit more trade value and if we are trading him it better be in a package for players like Staal or Pavelski... don't get me wrong tho, I like Malone and the kind of game he plays would be nice to have, just not at the expense of Rej.
Where have you heard they've been trying to trade him for two years? I know they tried to trade him for Bernier last year but that's all I've heard about him being shopped. His contract isn't inflated he gets paid about what you'd expect from a 20+ goal scoring power foward.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 07:21 AM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe604 View Post
The only thing is, if we trade Malone I would like to see some cap space open up, not take some more on. That is probably the only reason I would not move for Martin.
Keep in mind that you would be re-allocating cap space from a position of organizational strength to one of weakness. The Lightning truly need 2 top-4 D and when you accept that signing 2 via UFA is unlikely given this year's FA crop and Malone is one of the few pieces you'd likely be willing to move that could actually return a top-4 D, you realize how much sense Malone for Martin actually makes, especially with, at the moment, 3 young forwards in Connolly, Brown and Conacher who will be contending for a roster spot and the possibility of adding other FA FWs.

nhljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 07:28 AM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Well.... I am game for the Malone-Martin trade.

A bizarre situation considering valuations when Martin signed with Pittsburgh, but I agree with the OP that Martin will likely find himself in a different organization and a pairing with Hedman would be good for both. Moreover, aside from the nightmare series against Philly, Martin has not been anywhere as bad as many/mopst would believe. The real problem with him is that his qualities weren't what Pittsburgh needed in a 5 million dollar D-man. Rather, his relative weaknesses were exactly the areas we needed to improve in (size, physicality, PP qualities from the right point). Put him in the right situation where his qualities addresses team needs, (big minutes, great skating and anticipation, great stickwork, very good and fast outlets from D aiding transition) and you have a player who is worth his cap-hit and a first pairing D-man.
Well put.

The advanced stats for Martin were actually pretty decent. They don't tell the whole story, of couse, but Martin could not have been as bad as made out, by some, to be.

nhljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Rschmitz

Quote:
To

LW Ryan Malone ($4.5M)

Sabres get a big-bodied winger to play w/ Hodgson & Pommer, as well as a solid 2nd RND pick.

To

D Andrej Sekera ($2.75M)
2012 3rd RND pick

Bolts get a likely top-2, shutdown d-man with some scoring upside to play with Hedman or Brewer, and a big, young C/W with good upside who has seemingly been passed over by Foligno & Tropp.

Thoughts?
Done. Sekera is exactly what we need. I would want something different than Adam because of our forward depth, but wouldn't be against him either. Could the deal be tweaked to include Enroth instead?

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:34 AM
chasespace

Quote:
I don't think Yzerman has been actively shopping Malone for 2 years now. Probably got a good offer and asked him to waive his NTC and he said no.

chasespace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Not interested in giving up Sekera on his value contract and having to add in Adam and a draft pick as well. Counter-offer above was Leopold (22+ minute a night mid-pairing defenseman who offers a bit of everything) and Adam (another wide-body scoring type). Buffalo takes the significantly higher cap risk with an aging physical player making more than anyone in the deals.

06-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Anderson55

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
If there was any truth to last summer's rumors, he nixed a trade to both LA and Toronto. I have no idea if there was any accuracy to that at all. I wouldn't mind the Nashville trade at all, but would Malone waive the NMC to go there?

I'm sure he would waive to go back to Pittsburgh, not sure I would want Martin in exchange. We need D in Tampa, but IIRC, Penguins fans were less than happy with Martin this past season. Can't see how he would be any better at all with the Lightning.
He was good the first year, struggled this past year. Personally i think a move to a more defensive system like tampa would suit him better. Similar to when he was in NJ

Anderson55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Not interested in giving up Sekera on his value contract and having to add in Adam and a draft pick as well. Counter-offer above was Leopold (22+ minute a night mid-pairing defenseman who offers a bit of everything) and Adam (another wide-body scoring type). Buffalo takes the significantly higher cap risk with an aging physical player making more than anyone in the deals.
Malone gets paid slightly less than Sekera in actual salary.

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:22 AM
mpp9

Malone's conditioning could be better. Part of the reason he's missed around 15 games/season the last few years. But if the cap goes up, 4.5 mil is pretty spot on for what he brings. His actual salary being much lower could entice some budget teams.

If the Pens don't make any trades for the future, I'm down with trading for him. His value is tough to gauge.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:33 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschmitz View Post
Malone gets paid slightly less than Sekera in actual salary.
Buffalo cares more about the cap hit. And Malone's is significantly higher.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:49 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Buffalo cares more about the cap hit. And Malone's is significantly higher.
Exactly. And it's not like Buffalo would be able to replace Sekera's minutes via free agency -- what he offers would likely cost them double on the open market. It's possible improvement from within between Myers, Ehrhoff and probably McNabb could eat up that time, yet they're still taking a hit in on-ice play AND the bigger cap hit.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 03:22 PM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
How's this fair for both parties? They're values may be similar but we have no need to trade Malone. If Pitt wants to get rid of Martin and get Malone they need to add something to make us do this.
Pittsburgh has a log jam on defense, obviously Despres and Morrow are off the table completely. But we have RFA defense, Bortuzzo is unlikely to see the big club here in Pittsburgh with Strait playing his way above Lovejoy in the eyes of the fans and organization. He will likely be our #7 going forward. Then Despres essentially taking Martins place if he is moved.

Tampa needs defense so if you want a throw in take Bortuzzo who looks to be a capable #5/6 guy but just can't make it through our clogged roster and also get Martin you D is improved in two spots then. And for Borts add a pick to the trade on Tampa's end, say a 3rd which is about Borts value. So...

To Tampa:
Paul Martin
Robert Bortuzzo

To Pittsburgh:
Ryan Malone
3rd

As said before Malone would most likely waive to go home to Pittsburgh, Martin would thrive in a more defensive system like Tampa's and probably enjoy playing more in such a system he would thrive in. Bortuzzo gets on a team he can crack a line up in and not be stuck in the farm where his development is done in, and Pittsburgh gets a fair value back in a 3rd for him.

You may gripe about the 3rd and wanna change it to a 4th. But other than that, that seems about as well rounded of a trade and fair for all sides teams and players as I have seen in awhile.

That's my two cents, take it for what you will.

EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 04:59 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
No. Malone is not a typical 1st line winger - He is a proven power-forward commodity who can score as well (think Clowe 2yrs ago...). Sekera is great, and I love his game - that said we get the same style of play from Ehrhoff & Leopold, and going forward Pysyk. Andrej is expendable for the sake of adding a talented big-body to an otherwise undersized/underpowered team. This isn't Mason Raymond we're talking about...
Leo is a solid all-purpose minute-eater, but Sekera is the best PMD we have -- aside, maybe, from Myers. If we're gonna move Sekera, I would rather we get back more similar value (ie: a winger between 24-27 on a cap-friendly contract). Leo makes more sense to move for Malone because the age and contracts are much more similar. I would be ok with trading Sekera but not for Malone.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 05:04 PM
Flat Stanley

It would be cool to see Bugsy back in the black and gold.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 05:05 PM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictionzero View Post
You may gripe about the 3rd and wanna change it to a 4th. But other than that, that seems about as well rounded of a trade and fair for all sides teams and players as I have seen in awhile.

Tampa has 2 1sts and 4 or 5 2nds, I doubt there is griping about a 3rd round pick. Most Tampa fans just want to see something to shore up D/Goal

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 05:52 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictionzero View Post
Pittsburgh has a log jam on defense, obviously Despres and Morrow are off the table completely. But we have RFA defense, Bortuzzo is unlikely to see the big club here in Pittsburgh with Strait playing his way above Lovejoy in the eyes of the fans and organization. He will likely be our #7 going forward. Then Despres essentially taking Martins place if he is moved.

Tampa needs defense so if you want a throw in take Bortuzzo who looks to be a capable #5/6 guy but just can't make it through our clogged roster and also get Martin you D is improved in two spots then. And for Borts add a pick to the trade on Tampa's end, say a 3rd which is about Borts value. So...

To Tampa:
Paul Martin
Robert Bortuzzo

To Pittsburgh:
Ryan Malone
3rd

As said before Malone would most likely waive to go home to Pittsburgh, Martin would thrive in a more defensive system like Tampa's and probably enjoy playing more in such a system he would thrive in. Bortuzzo gets on a team he can crack a line up in and not be stuck in the farm where his development is done in, and Pittsburgh gets a fair value back in a 3rd for him.

That's not a bad deal, would prefer 4th just cause it'll be most likely Pitt calling us about the deal. What would it take to swap Bortuzzo for Niskannen?

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 06:38 PM
BrookswasHere44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
It would be cool to see Bugsy back in the black and gold.
Agreed

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
To

LW Ryan Malone ($4.5M)

To

D Andrej Sekera ($2.75M)
2012 3rd RND pick

Thoughts?
WTF is this? A reasonable proposal?!

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't have any problems doing this deal. Works out for both sides.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 07:14 PM
FireBylsma
Palmebjörk & Doktorn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
That's not a bad deal, would prefer 4th just cause it'll be most likely Pitt calling us about the deal. What would it take to swap Bortuzzo for Niskannen?
Switch the pick with Brett Connolly

FireBylsma is offline   Reply With Quote