HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sylvain Lefebvre named Hamilton Bulldogs head coach

Old
06-13-2012, 11:36 AM
habitue*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Price is Right View Post
Why is all our management turning to French people. I got nothing against french people but there are good English speaking people out there too not liking this looks like its the media who is controlling this...
Dudley, Mellanby, Carrière (mainly Anglo) and Timmins got the "key" jobs. Outside Bergevin.

Lapointe and Brisebois are supporting cast.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
If I seem "that interested" it's because I rarely heard aany other fans base being so critical about assistant-coaches. Here we are even questioning the water boy competence.

Bergevin has tons of other options for the head coaching job in Hamilton. If he has chosen Lefebvre, I believe it's for the right reasons.
I guess you ignored the reaction from this board when Kirk Muller took the job in Carolina? Or when AHL head coach Guy Boucher took the job in Tampa?

Every move that involves the Montreal Canadiens, be it the team, the coaching staff, upper management, little Jimmy working the stick rack, or Mélanie working the phone line, if they are involved with the Montreal Canadiens, they are under the microscope.

I'm surprised that you are surprised by this.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I know. Which is why it's weird for me to see you question others who want to discuss the matter at hand. Ivan is bringing an outsider's perspective, which is not something we get all the time here.

Just because he had his failings in Colorado doesn't mean he can't succeed here.
I agree and I wish him all the best.

As for me, I'm not a guy that will criticize someone without any valid reason, but I'm also not afraid to voice my opinion if I find that my concerns have some foundation even if it might be the unpopular view of the situation.

Even tough I post here for only one year, I didn't become a fan of hockey or a fan of Colorado and Montreal one year ago. I had a chance to follow Lefebvre since he became a coach in Lake Erie and he didn't do much to make me believe he'll be a good HC during his tenure in Avs organization.

Could I be wrong? Of course I can, I've been wrong a lot of times before and I don't think I'm some kind of an expert, but I still have my doubts based on his track record.

And FTR I don't think Lefebvre is the only one responsible for the way their defense played, some of it is on Sacco and some of it is on the players, but in my humble opinion he didn't get the best out of his players.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:03 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Why is all our management turning to French people. I got nothing against french people but there are good English speaking people out there too not liking this looks like its the media who is controlling this...
There seems to be a good mix of both. I really don't think it should be an issue.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:07 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
I agree and I wish him all the best.

As for me, I'm not a guy that will criticize someone without any valid reason, but I'm also not afraid to voice my opinion if I find that my concerns have some foundation even if it might be the unpopular view of the situation.

Even tough I post here for only one year, I didn't become a fan of hockey or a fan of Colorado and Montreal one year ago. I had a chance to follow Lefebvre since he became a coach in Lake Erie and he didn't do much to make me believe he'll be a good HC during his tenure in Avs organization.

Could I be wrong? Of course I can, I've been wrong a lot of times before and I don't think I'm some kind of an expert, but I still have my doubts based on his track record.

And FTR I don't think Lefebvre is the only one responsible for the way their defense played, some of it is on Sacco and some of it is on the players, but in my humble opinion he didn't get the best out of his players.
So, explain me why he was promoted from AHL to NHL as assistant coach in charge of d-men, and was not fired at some point ?

Old
06-13-2012, 12:10 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
So, explain me why he was promoted from AHL to NHL as assistant coach in charge of d-men, and was not fired at some point ?
Explain why Pierre Gauthier kept getting hired and kept on as a GM? Some people fail upwards, and rewards in the business world are not at all in proportion with how well you do.

Keep in mind, I don't dislike this hiring. It's just that it's not at all unheard for someone to do a mediocre job and get a promotion. Especially in hockey.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

The only thing I don't like about this and it has nothing to do with Lefebvre is that this is our 4th coach in 4 seasons. Talk about stability for our prospects, but at least with this one I'm confident he'll be here for longer than his precursors unless Brian Burke decides to troll us because of the Dudley case.

Chris Cutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:15 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Explain why Pierre Gauthier kept getting hired and kept on as a GM? Some people fail upwards, and rewards in the business world are not at all in proportion with how well you do.

Keep in mind, I don't dislike this hiring. It's just that it's not at all unheard for someone to do a mediocre job and get a promotion. Especially in hockey.
Hey, personally I am as surprised as you that he got a "HEAD COACHING" job at AHL level. I can only explain it by the numbers of great prospects we gonna have on D in Hamilton in the next couple of years. Or, he is really better than you think (and I think) an got what it needs to be head coach.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Because Avs (and Pierre Lacroix) believe in promoting from within their organization and so called familiy, which is something 99.99% of Avs fans object to, nepotism is (sadly) highly regarded in Denver, there's little if any sense in trying to find a logical explanation for the way they're handling their coaching staff(s), I mean they trade for a young goalie in Varlamov and they haven't got a full time goalie coach on the staff.

When Sacco got called up the rest of his staff from Lake Erie followed him. I still can't figure it out how Sacco kept his job after 10/11 season and after the abysmal stretch (that costed them their playoff spot in the end) during this season, but this is a topic for another thread and another forum altogether.

PS

Keep in mind that PL (or his puppets who held the GM job) hired Granato for the 2nd time even tough he was terrible in his first go around. Seeking logic behind their coaching decisions is an exercise in futility.

Last edited by Ivan13: 06-13-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

We have no idea how good a guy is or not. But there was 2 things to fill that we didn't have with Jodoin.

1 - The possibility to have another choice when it will be time to replace Therrien
2- A coach that knows Defense, that preferably played the position, to be in Hamilton.

Lefebvre fit the profile way more than Jodoin. No chance that Jodoin would ever be a candidate for the NHL job. And unless we have heard that Jodoin would have been hiring a great assistant D coach, Lefebvre already fits the profile and it doesn't even mean that Lefebvre is not going to help himself with another D coach.But the quality of it.....we will have to find out. I'll trust Bergevin to have been able to determine his quality.So for that alone, that's a very good news.

And that is EVEN if I thought that, quality wise, I would have gone with Groulx, Tourigny or even Houle. Yet, cleary, Bergevin wants EXPERIENCED NHL'ers at those key positions. Not a bad strategy....but I hope we also bring some newcomers in the mix like Groulx or Houle in some capacity. Houle as assistant to Lefebvre would be neat.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Fozz

I've heard very, very good things about Lefebvre's coaching style. He apparently runs very efficient and diversified practices and is great with younger players. I'm glad that the Habs see guys with high potential and are proactive about bringing them on-board the organization, even if they are under contract with other teams.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:53 PM
De Montreal
help

Quote:
Dudley, Mellanby, Carrière (mainly Anglo) and Timmins got the "key" jobs. Outside Bergevin.

Lapointe and Brisebois are supporting cast.
One could point out Michel Therrien, though.

Still hate this pick. All the other choices are fine.

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:23 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
We have no idea how good a guy is or not. But there was 2 things to fill that we didn't have with Jodoin.

1 - The possibility to have another choice when it will be time to replace Therrien
2- A coach that knows Defense, that preferably played the position, to be in Hamilton.

Lefebvre fit the profile way more than Jodoin. No chance that Jodoin would ever be a candidate for the NHL job. And unless we have heard that Jodoin would have been hiring a great assistant D coach, Lefebvre already fits the profile and it doesn't even mean that Lefebvre is not going to help himself with another D coach.But the quality of it.....we will have to find out. I'll trust Bergevin to have been able to determine his quality.So for that alone, that's a very good news.

And that is EVEN if I thought that, quality wise, I would have gone with Groulx, Tourigny or even Houle. Yet, cleary, Bergevin wants EXPERIENCED NHL'ers at those key positions. Not a bad strategy....but I hope we also bring some newcomers in the mix like Groulx or Houle in some capacity. Houle as assistant to Lefebvre would be neat.
I think you are right, that Lefebvre sets up a replacement of Therrien, but I don't think it's Lefebvre himself. I think it's Patrick Roy who reportedly spoke to Groulx and Lefebvre about being assistant if he was to take over in Montreal. I wouldn't be too surprised to see Groulx as the assistant of Lefebvre. But I'm not sure that's a good move for Groulx would could get an AHL lead job at this point.

I have a little theory that Therrien was hired for a very precise and possibly short term mission: end the country club and bring discipline.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Who cares about an assistant coach, but you ?
Why are you even involved in this discussion? I asked Ivan for his take on Lefebvre and he gave it. Now you interject with this aggression which only serves to deteriorate the conversation.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
This is interesting!

My favourite Coach of all times "Pat Burns" felt that he saw something in Lefebvre enough to take him from Montreal to Toronto when he moved on. Let's see what he picked up over the years...

Player 61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
OK! I'm really starting to like this move! Basically giving him the keys to our futures...

Lefebvre Audio:
http://www.gazblogs.com/habsinsideou...c/R09_0005.MP3

Player 61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 06:44 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Erik Johnson is ONE player. The only one with some real talent.

There is also reasons he was traded from St-Louis...

Blaming an assistant coach...
Kyle Quincey was alright too.

Quote:
You don't think they might be the most competent ones?
They also have to prepare another coach in the eventuality that Therrien gets fired. And as shown last year, an anglo one won't cut it here.

Quote:

Would he accept the job? He was coaching the kids on the ice today, start the rumor mill!

Last edited by QuebecPride: 06-13-2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: merge
QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Bullsmith

Very interesting choice. This guy was one of the most underrated D in the league till injuries took their toll. The quintessential Pat Burns D- calm, tough but zero penalties, no mistakes, no heroics. Bergevin didn't make this hire as a safe choice, SL is a rookie head coach, he made it cause he sees a potential NHL head coach and/or because he sees this as THE right guy to train our outsized incoming AHL rookie crop. If the guy yells, good. He's not a hothead, his career proved that in spades. I'd be more worried about him being too quiet, going in.

Either way, the era of silent ciphers is over. Bring on the new org. Wish him well.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:42 PM
deandebean

I'm shocked that the guy is considered 'old-school' screamer-type, because he always looked the coolest dude on the team.

But I like 'old-school' dudes. They tend to value 'accountability' more than the new generation of coaches. And their value just went up with an 'old-school' dude taking a playoff fringe team to the cup.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:58 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Would he accept the job? He was coaching the kids on the ice today, start the rumor mill!
I hope he does. For me, he's the new gem coming from the Q. Been saying that for a long time now. Even when he was coaching Lewiston. Somehow, I don'T believe it will happen though. Which is unfortunate. For having watched both of them REALLY closely, can't believe Vincent is an assistant in the NHL while Houle doesn't have his chance yet. I hope it will happen soon for him.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:05 PM
deandebean

Quote:
I hope he does. For me, he's the new gem coming from the Q. Been saying that for a long time now. Even when he was coaching Lewiston. Somehow, I don'T believe it will happen though. Which is unfortunate. For having watched both of them REALLY closely, can't believe Vincent is an assistant in the NHL while Houle doesn't have his chance yet. I hope it will happen soon for him.
Vincent wasn't even a good junior coach. But he's a good salesman. Maybe Houle isn't?

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:41 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
I prefer Houle too. Lefebvre said in interview that he will talk to Bergevin about adding another assistant-coach in Hamilton.

I'm just not sure Houle will accept to be the second fiddle.

I was happy when Vincent was hired by Winnipeg, because it meant he wouldn't be with the Habs. If people didn't like JM's system, can't imagine how it would've been with Vincent's 1-3-1. He employed that system in Montréal even if he had one of the best teams in the 'Q

QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:54 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

As much as I am not pleased with Jodoin possibly joining the big club, I am excited to see what Lefebvre will do in Hamilton.

From what I have read, he is a teacher, a coach in every sense of the word. Hopefully the focus of the Habs will be on properly developing our youth to their full potential.

As of now, I feel that this is a great signing by Bergevin.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:02 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Lefebvre sounds to me like a very wise guy. I don't remember hearing a hockey coach speaking French as well as him. Once his coaching career is over, he has a good future as a commentator!

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:55 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Lefebvre sounds to me like a very wise guy. I don't remember hearing a hockey coach speaking French as well as him. Once his coaching career is over, he has a good future as a commentator!
Bergevin impresses me with a lot of his moves, but perhaps the most interesting caracteristic he has is that people are quitting their jobs to take part in his project. lefebvre said he told colorado he wanted to become a coach, and said that it was bergevin who called the avs to negociate... that tells me he knew lefebvre was looking for a coaching job ... which means he has ears all around the league.

lefebvre : a guy that wanted to coach that bergervin knew about.

dudley : a guy that left toronto to join habs because bergevin was here.

mellamby : a guy that was fed up with coaching ( coached st louis this season) and jumped onboard. Bergevin had to know he was looking for something else.

my guess is ... not one of these guys would have come here if goat was begging on the phone. They havent done anything yet, but seems like hockey people come here FOR Bergevin ... which , from the point of view of a fan like me, sounds quite interesting.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote