Offseason moves part 2

Old
06-13-2012, 10:42 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Id offer Stemp 2M/per for 2 Years.

Let Moss walk.

Sign Comeau if its cheap like 1M/1 Year.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:58 AM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Id offer Stemp 2M/per for 2 Years.

Let Moss walk.

Sign Comeau if its cheap like 1M/1 Year.
Whosever cheapest really I'd bring back. Moss and stempniak are good for a couple goals, as is Letendresse. I'm sure Comeau would bury more next year under Hartley too. We need a right winger, so one of them is likely brought back.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Xelstyle

vCash: 500
I'd leave Moss and Stempniak out, bring in Comeau and Latendresse. The latter can fight over who will be on the 3rd line and bring some size and grit to the team.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
I'd leave Moss and Stempniak out, bring in Comeau and Latendresse. The latter can fight over who will be on the 3rd line and bring some size and grit to the team.
I had another idea, if Jokinen walks have the following lineup. Keep Comeau, bring in Latendresse and bring in Konopka.

Then on the blueline bring Kubina (not my first choice, I just see it happening) and Carkner

Tanguay - Cammalleri - Iginla
Baertschi - Stajan - Glencross
Latendresse - Cervenka - Comeau
Bouma - Konopka - Jackman
Jones

Bouwmeester - Giordano
Butler - Kubina
Brodie - Babchuk
Smith - Carkner

Kiprusoff
Irving

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 02:40 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
I had another idea, if Jokinen walks have the following lineup. Keep Comeau, bring in Latendresse and bring in Konopka.

Then on the blueline bring Kubina (not my first choice, I just see it happening) and Carkner

Tanguay - Cammalleri - Iginla
Baertschi - Stajan - Glencross
Latendresse - Cervenka - Comeau
Bouma - Konopka - Jackman
Jones

Bouwmeester - Giordano
Butler - Kubina
Brodie - Babchuk
Smith - Carkner

Kiprusoff
Irving
This is what I see happening, though my lines would look different. Garrison could be on the radar if VAN cannot put together a decent offer for him. He expressed interest in playing in VAN (close to home) if FLA does not re-sign him. If VAN does not work out CGY is his next best bet to be close to home.

Sign: Latendresse, Comeau, Jones, Garrison, Carkner, Konopka

Tanguay-Cammy-Iginla
Cervenka-Stajan-Glencross
Bartschi-Backlund-Latendresse
Bouma-Konopka-Comeau

Jones, Jackman

Bouwmeester-Garrison
Butler-Giordano
Brodie-Carkner/Smith/Babchuk

Kipper
Irving

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
I don't see your reasoning to be sound at all. Your are looking at their entire career's and not recent success. Latendresse really started to become a dynamic player when he was in MIN. He can burn people with skill, but can also make big body plays to overcome strong defense. From what I've seen he would be worth the risk of cheap 1 year contract to see if he can regain that form. We have no idea if either Latendresse or Comeau will put up solid numbers and contribute. But their contract demands will be minimal, and the risk low. You simply role the dice with better odds, because you have both guys.

Create competition for 2nd/3rd line RW spots. Nemisz/Comeau/Latendresse, keep in mind we've alreayd seen how useful Comeau is on the 4th line. I'd rather him on the 4th line then Jackman, unless you need him to drop the gloves.
Latendresse can also play both wings if I'm not mistaken. I'd have no problem playing one of them on the 4th if we signed them both.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 02:47 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Just wondering, as I'm guessing Nemisz is getting a little impatient as he is 22 and not playing full time in the NHL yet, could we see him asking for a trade if he does not play with the big club this season?

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 02:54 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
Just wondering, as I'm guessing Nemisz is getting a little impatient as he is 22 and not playing full time in the NHL yet, could we see him asking for a trade if he does not play with the big club this season?
Honestly, I just do not think he is NHL ready. Obviously training camp could be an eye opener. But from what I've seen, his skating will lead to nothing spectacular in the NHL. Guys like Latendresse and Comeau add a few years, but at least they can contribute to a team that is clearly trying to win now.

I still do not see the harm in signing a guy like Latendresse to a 1 year deal. If Nemisz outplays him in camp then so be it, we have nothing to lose.

Old
06-13-2012, 02:56 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Latendresse can also play both wings if I'm not mistaken. I'd have no problem playing one of them on the 4th if we signed them both.
This is what I remember as well (I could be mistaken). If Latendresse cannot play off wing then I would be less inclined to sign him.

Old
06-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
This is what I remember as well (I could be mistaken). If Latendresse cannot play off wing then I would be less inclined to sign him.
I'm almost positive he can. He shoots left, and I am sure I recall that he has played both wings although I could be wrong.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 03:40 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Then why don't we sign just Latendresse, and let Nemisz play?

Old
06-13-2012, 03:55 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Then why don't we sign just Latendresse, and let Nemisz play?
Because Comeau, as of his play to date, is a perfect fit on a 4th line. Brings tons of energy, hit everything, skates well, and has some offensive upside. I would rather have him there on a regular basis over Jackman (who can spot fill on the nights we need him).

Nemisz and Lats do not have that same ability to play 4th line. I already printed my idea for the lineup but meh...

Tanguay-Cammy-Iginla
Bartschi-Backlund-Latendresse/(Nemisz, if he wins the spot)
Bouma-Konopka-Comeau

Also, why just hand over playing time to Nemisz, IMO he's shown very little at the NHL level. Create some competition for spots, it's not like we'd handcuff ourselves by having low cap hit, 1 year contracts like Lats and Comeau sitting up in the box.

Players get injured. It'd be nice to have some solid depth. But guys like Byron, Horak, Nemisz, Bartschi, Wilson, etc...They should have to earn their time with the big club, and if they do, we have the flexability to insert them in the lineup.

Posters are acting like I want to add Latendresse at a 3 million cap hit with a 4 year term. I see no harm in adding him based on what most project his demands (if he even has any) to be for a contract.

Last edited by The Gnome: 06-13-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old
06-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Random Rangers fan here:

What are your feelings about the potential of you guys resigning Moss and Stempniak? And also, could you give me a brief idea of the type of players they are? I get that Moss was hurt for most of last year.

One of the big things my team needs is a 3rd line RW. They seem to be the only two out there.
I really lke Moss when he's healthy. His advanced stats are excellent. The problem is he's never healthy... He could contribute 15-20 goals while playing a shutdown role if he could ever play 82 games.

Stempniak is a tweener type. Between a 2nd and 3rd line player who does nothing poorly and nothing exceptional. He usually scores in bunches and goes through extended dry spells.

If both players were consistently healthy I'd take Moss ahead of Stempniak, but that isn't the case so I'd take Stempniak.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanHerbsman View Post
this line is tooo soft
That line has two centermen on it. Cervenka wasn't brought in to play wing. Feaster has repeatedly said he'll be playing the middle. Almost all "fan lines" have him playing the wing on the 2nd or 3rd line. Clearly people don't listen/pay attention to interviews.

Old
06-13-2012, 04:09 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Because Comeau, as of his play to date, is a perfect fit on a 4th line. Brings tons of energy, hit everything, skates well, and has some offensive upside. I would rather have him there on a regular basis over Jackman (who can spot fill on the nights we need him).

Nemisz and Lats do not have that same ability to play 4th line. I already printed my idea for the lineup but meh...

Tanguay-Cammy-Iginla
Bartschi-Backlund-Latendresse/(Nemisz, if he wins the spot)
Bouma-Konopka-Comeau

Also, why just hand over playing time to Nemisz, IMO he's shown very little at the NHL level. Create some competition for spots, it's not like we'd handcuff ourselves by having low cap hit, 1 year contracts like Lats and Comeau sitting up in the box.

Players get injured. It'd be nice to have some solid depth. But guys like Byron, Horak, Nemisz, Bartschi, Wilson, etc...They should have to earn their time with the big club, and if they do, we have the flexability to insert them in the lineup.

Posters are acting like I want to add Latendresse at a 3 million cap hit with a 4 year term. I see no harm in adding him based on what most project his demands (if he even has any) to be for a contract.
Don't see Comeau signing for 4th line money. Id rather give one of the young kids a chance.

Old
06-13-2012, 04:14 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
I can't say I would agree with that.

Moss works his ass off night in night out. When he is healthy and being utilized properly by the head coach he is the better all around player in my opinion. It seems as if I am in the minority here, but I personally don't see the effort everyone is clamoring about in regards to Stempniak. He is probably one of the streakiest player's I have ever seen, and if he is not scoring he disappears into mediocrity in all facets of his game.

Moss is the better forechecker, drives to the net far more often, and is better defensively in my opinion. He also comes with the added benefit of being able to play all three forward positions relatively well.

At this point, I think we are best served injecting some new faces throughout our lineup, but If I were to bring one of the players back it would be Moss (Injury concerns or not).
I agree with your post, but disagree with the bolded part. I think Moss is the better player all around and by a substantial amount. I'd just rather have someone who has played in 60+ games more than twice in his career.

Old
06-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
Problem is Nemisz is fighting for a roster spot with Horak, Byron, Aliu, Jones, Jackman, Kolanos, Bouma and Comeau (if he's kept). Unfortunately he hasn't shown that he's head & shoulders above any of those guys yet - and if he doesn't he won't play in the NHL on a regular basis. It's that simple, and I'm sure he's had that explained to him.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Rolen
sick

I could actually very well see Nemisz play next season. When Baertschi was playing they obviously had some very good chemistry and Nemisz played very well for Abbotsford during their small playoff run, baertschi and Nemisz on the third line, I actuallly woudn't mind seeing that.

Rolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

As someone who watches almost all of the Sens games on top of watching all of the Flames games, Konopka is not that much of an upgrade on Jones.

I'm also torn on the whole Comeau debacle. I think I'd rather have Jackman on the 4th line.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 04:52 PM
nogger
#wemissyoubutler

Is it completely out of left field to think Max Reinhart could take the leap next season for a 3rd/4th line center? (

Down the centres have:
Jokinen
Cervenka/Cammy
Stajan
Reinhart

nogger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
As someone who watches almost all of the Sens games on top of watching all of the Flames games, Konopka is not that much of an upgrade on Jones.

I'm also torn on the whole Comeau debacle. I think I'd rather have Jackman on the 4th line.
Konopka would be an upgrade in the face-off circle and he can kill penalties. He's nothing more than a 4th-line centre, but the Flames definitely could use his face-off skills. Konopka also had a very, very good playoff series against the Rangers.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 05:55 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post
Is it completely out of left field to think Max Reinhart could take the leap next season for a 3rd/4th line center? (

Down the centres have:
Jokinen
Cervenka/Cammy
Stajan
Reinhart
I think Bill Arnold may have just as good of a chance, if not better, since he's a lot stronger right now.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
This is what I see happening, though my lines would look different. Garrison could be on the radar if VAN cannot put together a decent offer for him. He expressed interest in playing in VAN (close to home) if FLA does not re-sign him. If VAN does not work out CGY is his next best bet to be close to home.

Sign: Latendresse, Comeau, Jones, Garrison, Carkner, Konopka

Tanguay-Cammy-Iginla
Bartschi-Backlund-Latendresse
Bouma-Konopka-Comeau

Jones, Jackman

Bouwmeester-Garrison
Butler-Giordano
Brodie-Carkner/Smith/Babchuk

Kipper
Irving
I am so used to "trading" Backlund I forgot all about him

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 06:38 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
I don't see your reasoning to be sound at all. Your are looking at their entire career's and not recent success. Latendresse really started to become a dynamic player when he was in MIN. He can burn people with skill, but can also make big body plays to overcome strong defense. From what I've seen he would be worth the risk of cheap 1 year contract to see if he can regain that form. We have no idea if either Latendresse or Comeau will put up solid numbers and contribute. But their contract demands will be minimal, and the risk low. You simply role the dice with better odds, because you have both guys.

Create competition for 2nd/3rd line RW spots. Nemisz/Comeau/Latendresse, keep in mind we've alreayd seen how useful Comeau is on the 4th line. I'd rather him on the 4th line then Jackman, unless you need him to drop the gloves.
My point is that Comeau to this point has been the better player and his healthy. He can play the pk which Lat cannot and he is cheaper than your proposed Lat contract.

Since Lat joined Minny he has 52 points in 82 games for ppg of .63

Comeau has 96 points in 212 games for ppg of .45 but this year I feel is an anomaly as he just didn't look right all year so with out this year he has 81 points in 138 for ppg of .59 making them extremely close and he wasn't put in as many offensive situations. (as I showed before) if Lat does not work out offensive he is useless if Comeau doesn't work out he can play the pk.

Lat has only been able to play 82 games in THREE years. There is no way I would risk letting Comeau go for him.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 06:56 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post

Down the centres have:
Jokinen
Cervenka/Cammy
Stajan
Reinhart
Maybe he could play 4th line, i think it would be better for his career to play in the AHL next year though.