HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Nail Yakupov General Discussion Thread Part 2: Yodeling for Yakupov.

View Poll Results: What should the Oilers do with the 1st overall?
Draft Yakupov 281 90.35%
Trade down in the draft 23 7.40%
Trade the pick for an established NHLer 7 2.25%
Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2012, 04:47 PM
The Big Unit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
Only reason oil management dont take yakupov is because theyre scared at the prospect of having the most talented top six in the league..so instead they would rather have 2 more top 4 defensive prospects than have a potential 4th superstar..

The fact they still question who is number one makes me question theyre IQ level, everyone including stu mcgregor because it shouldnt take a whole freakin year to figure out whose the top prospect in this years draft...

I'm sure stu mcgregor and most oil manangers are smart people, but arrrrghh! Frustrating way of doing business for us fans
it's all smoke and mirrors. The Oilers know Yakupov is the undisputed #1 but they want to leave the door open to trading the pick. Not because they don't want Yakupov but because they hope to drive up the price for the pick and totally rip some team off. If they're able to do that you could fill all the team's holes in one trade like Quebec did with Lindros. If it's not possible to fleece somebody, you pick Yakupov and have the most dangerous top 6 in the NHL real soon. For the Oilers, it's win-win but for the record........just draft the Yak

Old
06-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
This thread isn't about Sam Gagner.

Back to Yakupov.
You have to draft him, because he's freaking amazing.

Old
06-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Having watched so much hockey all these years, it's easy to tell when players have "habits" that seem difficult to break out.

Cogliano - reading play and getting himself offside
MPS - his patented weak wrister while flying along the wing

Until he shows otherwise, I'm not counting on him being any different.
I'm guessing you didn't see him play in the Calder Cup playoffs at all then.

Old
06-13-2012, 04:53 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I'm guessing you didn't see him play in the Calder Cup playoffs at all then.
Nope. Did he get better?
He still isn't scoring which is a disappointment to me already.

Anyway, as long as yakupov is picked and none of the big 3 are moved, I could care less about the other players

Old
06-13-2012, 05:17 PM
hockeyaddict101

Some stats from the NHL Combine.

Ryan Murray: 72.5 inches Wing Span 73 inches and Weight is 197.8 lb #NHLDraft #NHLCombine

Yakupov Nail Yakupov (by request since I'm only in the C's) Height- 71.25 inches Wing Span- 73.75 inches and Weight 185 lb

Tweeted my Mark Edwards. He is tweeting a whole bunch now.

Old
06-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
it's all smoke and mirrors. The Oilers know Yakupov is the undisputed #1 but they want to leave the door open to trading the pick. Not because they don't want Yakupov but because they hope to drive up the price for the pick and totally rip some team off. If they're able to do that you could fill all the team's holes in one trade like Quebec did with Lindros. If it's not possible to fleece somebody, you pick Yakupov and have the most dangerous top 6 in the NHL real soon. For the Oilers, it's win-win but for the record........just draft the Yak
It's not that simple and not necessarily a win win. You potentially trade away a superstar for two average players. No GM is stupid enough to over pay these days.

Old
06-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Some stats from the NHL Combine.

Ryan Murray: 72.5 inches Wing Span 73 inches and Weight is 197.8 lb #NHLDraft #NHLCombine

Yakupov Nail Yakupov (by request since I'm only in the C's) Height- 71.25 inches Wing Span- 73.75 inches and Weight 185 lb

Tweeted my Mark Edwards. He is tweeting a whole bunch now.
That's a little over 5'11 for Yakupov. Probably the same height as Crosby. I can live with that.

Weight is decent, but it'd be nice if he could add about 4-5 pounds of muscle in the summer. He looks a lot more solid than either RNH or Hall in their draft years already though.

If the season started tomorrow I'd have no worry about putting him on the 1st or 2nd line.

Old
06-13-2012, 06:10 PM
oilfaninvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
You have to draft him, because he's freaking amazing.
/thread

Old
06-13-2012, 06:25 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
This is what really seperates Yakupov from Hall, their games are similar, but Yakupov's hands and shot are on another level.

It'd be like combining Hall with Eberle's hands, but I think Yakupov's shot honestly might even be more explosive.
"hall with eberle's hands" might be about the best description of yakupov i can think of.... he might not have as soft of hands as eberle does, but by all accounts his shot is greatly superior... think of all the breakaways that hall gets because of his tenacity and speed.... now combine those breakaways with eberles ability to cash in prime scoring chances

yakupov will score more goals than hall, of this i have very few doubts

people compare him to bure for a reason, and its not just cause he is russian

Old
06-13-2012, 06:49 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
The Lindros trade didn't happen over night. They actually drafted Lindros and waited quite awhile before trading him. Plus, Lindros's play the year after he was drafted made his value sky rocket threw the roof. The #1 pick this year doesn't have anywhere near the value of Lindros as it stands now.

Old
06-13-2012, 06:51 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
The Lindros trade didn't happen over night. They actually drafted Lindros and waited quite awhile before trading him.
Yeah, so the circumstances, just a LITTLE different.

Old
06-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfaninvan View Post
/thread
ouff, I guess your end thread didn't work...

Old
06-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Yeah, so the circumstances, just a LITTLE different.
Oilers could probably get:

Gardiner
5th overall 2012
TOR 1st 2013
Conditional 2nd 2013 (if Toronto makes the playoffs)
Option to swap 1sts with Toronto in 2014

for

1st overall 2012

Old
06-13-2012, 07:03 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

I'm surprised there aren't more comments on Bob McKenzie's comments from Inside Hockey today.

Basically said he would strongly consider Schenn+5th for the 1st if he were Edmonton, but not if he were Toronto.

Bob is not a nobody, he's an intelligent and informed guy, and maybe a reality check on the value of that pick is needed.

Old
06-13-2012, 07:06 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe in Oil View Post

Gardiner
5th overall 2012
TOR 1st 2013

for

1st overall 2012
Will take.

Old
06-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
I'm surprised there aren't more comments on Bob McKenzie's comments from Inside Hockey today.

Basically said he would strongly consider Schenn+5th for the 1st if he were Edmonton, but not if he were Toronto.

Bob is not a nobody, he's an intelligent and informed guy, and maybe a reality check on the value of that pick is needed.
Take Yakupov.

Old
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:

Bob McKenzie is an intelligent and informed guy but that's insane.

Old
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe in Oil View Post

Gardiner
5th overall 2012
TOR 1st 2013

for

1st overall 2012
No team is going to offer that much for Yakupov.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
06-13-2012, 07:10 PM
CupofOil

Quote:

Yes, a big reality check is needed. For example, look at the ridiculous proposal in the post above yours.
I'm not saying that Schenn + 5th is a good deal for the Oilers but it's pretty much in the ballpark of what teams will offer for the pick IMO. I even think that Gardiner + 5th is completely unrealistic.

It seems that some Oiler fans and pretty much the rest of the hockey universe have different views in regards to the value of the pick. I just don't see a team offering up a kings ransom to move up to #1, Yakupov is very good but he's not a generational talent, he plays probably the least important position (depending on team needs of course) and whether some like to believe it or not, him being Russian plays a factor so i don't see any of these ridiculous overpayments being offered to Tambellini.

The bottom line is the Oilers just need to draft Yakupov since i don't see them getting great value for the pick.

Old
06-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Yes, a big reality check is needed. For example, look at the ridiculous proposal in the post above yours.
I'm not saying that Schenn + 5th is a good deal for the Oilers but it's pretty much in the ballpark of what teams will offer for the pick IMO. I even think that Gardiner + 5th is completely unrealistic.

It seems that some Oiler fans and pretty much the rest of the hockey universe have different views in regards to the value of the pick. I just don't see a team offering up a kings ransom to move up to #1, Yakupov is very good but he's not a generational talent, he plays probably the least important position (depending on team needs of course) and whether some like to believe it or not, him being Russian plays a factor so i don't see any of these ridiculous overpayments being offered to Tambellini.

The bottom line is the Oilers just need to draft Yakupov since i don't see them getting great value for the pick.
This.

Old
06-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty

Luke Schenn + 5th is not enough, i might do it if Grigorenko was there at 5 tho and they added Gardiner

Old
06-13-2012, 07:31 PM
oilfaninvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
Only reason oil management dont take yakupov is because theyre scared at the prospect of having the most talented top six in the league..so instead they would rather have 2 more top 4 defensive prospects than have a potential 4th superstar..

The fact they still question who is number one makes me question theyre IQ level, everyone including stu mcgregor because it shouldnt take a whole freakin year to figure out whose the top prospect in this years
That is classic.

Old
06-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Krut

Quote:

As reliable and well respected as Bob is (and deservedly so), I have noticed a touch of Leaf homerism come from him once in a blue moon. A few years ago he picked Viktor Stalberg for rookie of the year when he was still a leaf (just an example off the top of my head). I think that this can be put into the homerism category.

Old
06-13-2012, 07:43 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
It's not that simple and not necessarily a win win. You potentially trade away a superstar for two average players. No GM is stupid enough to over pay these days.
Gregor was saying Oilers fans would be crazy not to like Schenn and the 5th overall if Galchenyuk was available. First, I think Gregor LOVES Galchenyuk. He seems to have more faith in most that he could possibly go 1st overall if it wasn't for the injury. Second, I definitely think it would be worth considering but if Galchenyuk becomes nothing more than a 65 point player(still good) and Schenn becomes a 2nd pairing Dman(very likely)....while Yakupov is scoring 45+ goals in Toronto, that's a terrible deal.

Unless it's a guy like Weber coming the other way, Yakupov is not the guy you trade to help with the team's depth. He could potentially be our best player.

Old
06-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Gregor was saying Oilers fans would be crazy not to like Schenn and the 5th overall if Galchenyuk was available. First, I think Gregor LOVES Galchenyuk. He seems to have more faith in most that he could possibly go 1st overall if it wasn't for the injury. Second, I definitely think it would be worth considering but if Galchenyuk becomes nothing more than a 65 point player(still good) and Schenn becomes a 2nd pairing Dman(very likely)....while Yakupov is scoring 45+ goals in Toronto, that's a terrible deal.

Unless it's a guy like Weber coming the other way, Yakupov is not the guy you trade to help with the team's depth. He could potentially be our best player.
I think the biggest problem with the idea of "oh that's good value, and there's a good player there, go for it" in terms of trading the pick, it fails to show a TRUE picture of the difference in player quality when you go from #1 to 3, 4, 5, etc.

Just because, like every ****ing year, "this pick won't be as good as those other picks before" doesn't make it true and doesn't make the gap between #1 and NOT #1 any more obvious.

Closed Thread