HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Marty Lapointe named Director of Player Development

Old
06-07-2012, 12:37 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
With Lapointe aboard, there will be more grit and muscle in the administration than on the ice...

Forwards:

Mellanby-Dudley-Lapointe

Defence:

Bergevin - Carrière

Hopefully it's gonna reflect on the ice in a near future.
We need better horses.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:44 PM
onice

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
We need better horses.
Black stallions or French ponies?

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Bloumeister
Certifiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Black stallions or French ponies?
toro braids

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 04:53 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Americans think that every first name should be anglicized. Case and point: many foreign athletes' names were 'transformed' into slang. In hockey, the examples are a plenty: Kovalev (Alex instead of Alexei), Ovechkin (Alex instead of Alexander), Marty Brodeur (instead of Martin), Danny (instead of Daniel), Gino Malkin (instead of Evgeny), etc. That how they think. We don't do that here.

It's part of their culture. Robert (Bobby), Dino (Dean), etc.
That has nothing to do with anglicizing , its just to shorten the names.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 04:54 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
deandebean needs to come down off his high horse.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 06:00 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Yeah. Not good.

A large management group is a good idea, but Bergevin keeps hiring his buddies. He needs to broaden the types of voices he has in his management team. It's starting to look like a giant echo chamber right now.
Well, Timmins and Carriere are not party of his buddy group. They were here prior to MAB's hiring, and Dudley has enough experience that he's no one's yes man, so really there's only Lapointe. The dir. of player development is often given to newbie manger types. Carbo had it with the Habs at one point.

It sounds like Timmons as director of player procurement is going to be in charge of all scouting, pro and amateur, that's how I read it, while Lapointe will be his assistant and help him to take of the prospects needs and the pro development of players already in the org.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:06 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Now official

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|MTL|home

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:11 AM
zzoo

Bergevin seems very active.
So, what's next ?

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:14 AM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
So, what's next ?
I think we are into the 'assistants' phase for Habs and Bulldogs.

Maybe a managing director of directors should be considered. BUt as indicated in another thread, scroll through other teams and management teams are just equivalent. Shows how understaff it was I guess...

ti-vite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:22 AM
sampollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
So, what's next ?
get a big centre.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:28 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite View Post
I think we are into the 'assistants' phase for Habs and Bulldogs.

Maybe a managing director of directors should be considered. BUt as indicated in another thread, scroll through other teams and management teams are just equivalent. Shows how understaff it was I guess...
There can be no better time than the present to have the proper personnel.With seven of the Habs best prospects joining the Bulldogs and the Habs having the draft position they have this year.Bergevin is going to make sure all of the Habs and prospects are taken care of nutritionally and physically.This should help cut down on the man hours lost to injuries as well,having the players in optimum shape will give them a better chance of avoiding serious injuries.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:56 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
There can be no better time than the present to have the proper personnel.With seven of the Habs best prospects joining the Bulldogs and the Habs having the draft position they have this year.Bergevin is going to make sure all of the Habs and prospects are taken care of nutritionally and physically.This should help cut down on the man hours lost to injuries as well,having the players in optimum shape will give them a better chance of avoiding serious injuries.
Yeah. Now they need a better supportive cast of specialized trainors who gonna take care of the physical conditions of the whole team in Montreal and Hamilton.

Therrien has now to find his two (or three) assistants. I doubt Jodoin would be behind the bench. But IF Therrien goes with three assistants, I could see him being upstairs to analyse the games and communicate infos to the bench.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Martin Lapointe once mentioned that he would never sign with Montreal because the fans were crazy. I don't like him!

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:06 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Martin Lapointe once mentioned that he would never sign with Montreal because the fans were crazy. I don't like him!
It's not exactly what he said....

+ The guy did not want to have the pressure to play in Montreal.

I'm not crazy about having him aboard. That's a typical "who you know" type of hiring. Bergevin and him are good friends.

I'd rather given that job to Eric Desjardins or Audette, if they wanted to give it to a local guy.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:

I'm not crazy about having him aboard. That's a typical "who you know" type of hiring. Bergevin and him are good friends.

I'd rather given that job to Eric Desjardins or Audette, if they wanted to give it to a local guy.
"It's not exactly what he said..."

That's how I remember it... I don't like him!

PS he would have been a perfect fit for us at the time. GAWD I wished he signed with us! (I wished he signed... I need English 101 help here)

Old
06-13-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:

You find it problematic for someone to want to work with people who he's had a previous working relationship with?

I think most people like to surround themselves with people who they have a prior level of comfort with, it's only natural

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:46 AM
Artie

Quote:

Depends on what Brisebois' role is. Will it be on ice coaching or will it be more of a counselling role.

I hope the Habs reach out to Gaston Gingras as a D coach candidate. Great teacher.

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:01 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
Depends on what Brisebois' role is. Will it be on ice coaching or will it be more of a counselling role.

I hope the Habs reach out to Gaston Gingras as a D coach candidate. Great teacher.
Off-ice Counselling role for Brisebois.

yes, Gingras could be a good candidate to coach the D.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:21 AM
SmurfsFTW
DD for Masterton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
The group Bergevin is putting together is very samey and very, very old-school. I'm not expecting a lot of forward-thinkingness from that lot.

Frankly I'm becoming less impressed with Bergevin with every passing day. Final judgement will wait for roster moves, but he's expended most of my goodwill. Honeymoon's definitely over in my case.
LOL @ this

Cut the new guy some slack. He knows better who to hire to do whatever. All these guys are long time pros around the NHL.

Honeymoon's over LAWL. You definitely need to take your chill pill and relax.

What makes you think they're personnal friends ? MB said he'd hire some strong minded characters to challenge his decisions. Martin Lapointe is a perfect candidate for that. He was a pretty good grinder and leader, although overpaid when he got UFA. Many GMs were thinking at that time that he was a very valuable player to have in a lineup. Not his fault to chose more money elsewhere, you'd be an IDIOT to not take the money and run when GMs go all in.

Don't tell me you wouldn't do it.

Don't.

SmurfsFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Its also a sign of affection and closeness. To even suggest that its an attempt to anglicize people is absurd.

He called Patrick Roy "Patty"! The english are trying to unfrench him and steal him in the name of England! We're being oppressed

Oh I know what to do to combat this injustice!

*Clang* *Clang* *Clang* *Clang*

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Alfie Turcotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
I dont like Martin Lapointe. He refused to join us as a player why would we make him a favor and hire him? Because he's unumployed and needs a job? Beside, what relevant experience does he have to earn this position?

Anyway, I'm not gonna loose sleep over this but I would've preffered someone else.
Yeah, we needed a player like him at the time, but he signed with Boston instead. I remember the attitude, man he dissed the habs.

I will never forgive him, sorry.

Alfie Turcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:08 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
His name isnt Marty but Martin! (MAR-TIN) Pronounced the same way as Martin Rucinsky who was never named "Marty"... Why was Martin Rucinski named Martin but a french player named Martin is automatically named Marty??,

Hey lets do the same thing now and arbitrarily name all the player named Bob by the name Skippy. Like skippy Gainey...
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Marty Lapointe.

Lighten up, bro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
Its also a sign of affection and closeness. To even suggest that its an attempt to anglicize people is absurd.

He called Patrick Roy "Patty"! The english are trying to unfrench him and steal him in the name of England! We're being oppressed

Oh I know what to do to combat this injustice!

*Clang* *Clang* *Clang* *Clang*
Anglo Saxons always (Marty, Vinny, Luke, Ray, Alex...) do that. I guess it comes with being the second most spoken language in the world.

Personally, that's one of the reasons I like Pierre Houde from rds: he always goes out of his way to learn the correct pronunciation of a player's name. For instance, he asked Vokoun how to pronounce his name; Thomas told him that the correct pronunciation was Vokon. Since then some people are making fun of Pierre Houde because everyone else in North America did not make the effort to learn it the proper way!

Basic rule: proper nouns... make an effort to pronounce it correctly! It is a sign of respect.

Back to the topic...

Martin Lapointe bailed out on us a few years ago (too much pressure blablabla, I will never sign with Montreal blablabla...): I don't like him!

Old
06-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Marty Lapointe is going to be great for your organization. If people aren't sure of this move, look at what he did for a shy 18-year old from Quebec City. That player was Patrice Bergeron.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nhl...mes&id=6607304

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:01 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie Turcotte View Post
Yeah, we needed a player like him at the time, but he signed with Boston instead. I remember the attitude, man he dissed the habs.

I will never forgive him, sorry.
I was listening to Chris Nilan on 990 at 5:30 and boy was he pissed that we brought this guy in the organization. Said basically the same thing, when he had the chance to come he refused and made fun of the Habs and acted like a jerk while being with the Bruins and the Ribeiro incident. Anyways he was happy about all of the Habs moves so far this off season but he really didn't get this one. He really doesn't like him

Old
06-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
Marty Lapointe is going to be great for your organization. If people aren't sure of this move, look at what he did for a shy 18-year old from Quebec City. That player was Patrice Bergeron.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nhl...mes&id=6607304
That's great, I guess he earned that 5 million a year after all