HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Official Offseason Thread (Part IV) - "Is the lockout over yet?"

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Jersey Girl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
They can't expect to not take any salary back though.

I'm fine with holding onto Dubi.

Replace Dubi with Anisimov? Fine by me. But we'd then have to clear salary and the likely candidate would again be Dubinsky, which is unfortunate, but we'll see what happens.

DZ, Anisimov, picks, prospects not named Kreider or Erixon?
If I'm Columbus I say no way to that

Old
06-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Cap is set at $62M in the next CBA for 12-13 and 13-14. The Rangers are paying 31% of the cap to 3 right wingers. Priceless. The cap is not going to remain at $70M with the players taking a cut in % to 50%.

Don't try to bring reason and pragmatism to the debate. The Rangers are going to need JT Miller and his cheap ELC when they are paying the majority of the cap on a handful of players. They don't have a plethora of other cheap options in the organization.
Because when you make a trade you don't send salary back the other way right?

Old
06-13-2012, 06:07 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
If I'm Columbus I say no way to that
Same here. But our offer isn't going to be much more than that in terms of roster players.

The most I can see Sather giving up for Nash is

Dubi/Arty, Del Zotto, Miller, McIlrath, 1st

If they think they can do better from a team on Nash's short list, that's fine by me. Not overpaying(trading assets) to overpay(contract).

There are other options now, and there will be even more as players who are off the table now become available by January/February.

Old
06-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Same here. But our offer isn't going to be much more than that in terms of roster players.

The most I can see Sather giving up for Nash is

Dubi/Arty, Del Zotto, Miller, McIlrath, 1st

If they think they can do better from a team on Nash's short list, that's fine by me. Not overpaying(trading assets) to overpay(contract).

There are other options now, and there will be even more as players who are off the table now become available by January/February.
I say no to trading picks/prospects for Nash

Old
06-13-2012, 06:13 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Because when you make a trade you don't send salary back the other way right?
Sorry but I have no idea what you are talking about.

Old
06-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Sorry but I have no idea what you are talking about.
Neither do I.

Old
06-13-2012, 06:20 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Neither do I.
Go back and look at what Gagline wrote. Read it. That is what I was responded to. I agree with him. The Rangers adding a big ticket is dangerous business with the CBA expiring. This is not some stupid video game.

Old
06-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Go back and look at what Gagline wrote. Read it. That is what I was responded to. I agree with him. The Rangers adding a big ticket is dangerous business with the CBA expiring.
I know and his response was to my comment stating that if you can make a contract fit now and in the future why not do it. I thought your "don't bring reason into it" comment was directed at me, when I think it's more than reasonable to add a salary if you can, and send salary the other way in a trade.

I certainly don't advocate trading for Nash, signing a bunch of UFA's and acting as if 70m is the gospel when it comes to the cap next year. I am sure it will be lower, but that's not to say we couldn't take on one contract.

Old
06-13-2012, 06:32 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
I think the Nash boat is dead and sailed to other harbors...
Do not want - especially at the cost (ie caphit plus the assets CBJ evidently demands) it is apparently going to wind up being
We want to strengthen the team as a whole - not to irresponsibly gut it

We have beaten this horse to death
Time to look at other options

Old
06-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
I think the Nash boat is dead and sailed to other harbors...
Do not want - especially at the cost (ie caphit plus the assets CBJ evidently demands) it is apparently going to wind up being
We want to strengthen the team as a whole - not to irresponsibly gut it

We have beaten this horse to death
Time to look at other options
Yeah I expect those other options will reveal themselves next week at the draft.

Old
06-13-2012, 06:59 PM
eco's bones

Cap hell is a bad place to be. It usually means you're holding on to your big ticket players--whether they're producing to expectations or not (Gomez is the exception not the rule) and jettisoning less expensive players who tend to give value closer to the buck--or are younger and getting better. Sometimes you don't have much choice it's the young guys coming into their prime years that everyone else wants and who are the first to go.

Again Chicago won a Cup and then had to move Byfuglien, Ladd, Versteeg and several other players. The only big ticket player they were able to move was Brian Campbell who has issues but is also one of the best pwp qb's in the league--which made him maybe not unique but close to it.

The CBA expiring throws things even more into doubt. Trading for Nash at this point in time without any idea of what the new agreement will look like when the smoke clears--is just lunacy. Fans can project about this player or that player and it can be fun but I expect the Rangers management staff to act with a little bit more discretion than that.

Trading for Nash afterwards may be lunacy as well. 6 years at $7.8-- a lot can go wrong. This guy is not a proven big game performer. It's not necessarily his fault that his team is and has been awful but IMO he's way overpaid for what he's accomplished. I know some think just put him on Richard's line--the same thought process that should have worked with Richards--Gaborik. Chemistry can be a funny thing. There are no guarantees.

Old
06-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Go back and look at what Gagline wrote. Read it. That is what I was responded to. I agree with him. The Rangers adding a big ticket is dangerous business with the CBA expiring. This is not some stupid video game.
yea blessing in disguise with Parise not coming to NY is they dont have another crazy high salary. They sign DZ this yr long term then next a TON of key players. Need the space next yr to do something

which is why a 1 yr deal with a guy like Whitney may make some sense

Old
06-13-2012, 07:18 PM
BBKers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
yea blessing in disguise with Parise not coming to NY is they dont have another crazy high salary. They sign DZ this yr long term then next a TON of key players. Need the space next yr to do something

which is why a 1 yr deal with a guy like Whitney may make some sense
Whitney or Smyth as possible stop gaps
Selanne, Jagr or Doan as a "pipedream plan B" (none OF THESE 3 are probably available)
Iginla at the deadline if the stars are in alignment

Old
06-13-2012, 07:21 PM
Vitto79

Slater just got the same deal as Campbell at C......what does that mean for Prust? 2 guys now got that deal, Prust is a fighting winger that can PK

What does Gaustad get? Same as Kelly at 3 million per?

I have a feeling Sather may go get Gaustad even though he may be overpaid.

Hagelin , Gaustad, Anisimov? That would be a pretty nice 3rd line

Old
06-13-2012, 07:25 PM
BBKers

Quote:
Slater just got the same deal as Campbell at C......what does that mean for Prust? 2 guys now got that deal, Prust is a fighting winger that can PK

What does Gaustad get? Same as Kelly at 3 million per?

I have a feeling Sather may go get Gaustad even though he may be overpaid.

Hagelin , Gaustad, Anisimov? That would be a pretty nice 3rd line
I think the roof for Prust is at $1,6 M per for 2 years. Maybe $1,5 M for 3 years?

Old
06-13-2012, 07:25 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Whitney or Smyth as possible stop gaps
Selanne, Jagr or Doan as a "pipedream plan B" (none OF THESE 3 are probably available)
Iginla at the deadline if the stars are in alignment
Selanne is staying in ANA.
Smyth likely to stay in EDM for the same reasons.
Would not mind Whitney or Doan at all but Doan is also likely to stay in PHO because he loves it there.

So between Jagr and Whitney I don't have a preference on short term contracts.

Also would love it if we could get Semin on a 1 year deal so that he can come here give us that much needed scoring while at the same time giving himself a chance to earn a bigger contract next offseason. I think he'd put up big numbers with Richards and Gabo.

But if we do make a big deadline acquisition I think it will be for Marty St.Louis

Old
06-13-2012, 07:49 PM
NYR ribbet

RFA/UFA question.

Let's just use Parise, NJD, and NYR as an example in this scenario (has nothing to do with any negotiations that may or may not happen).

Say NJD decides to trade Parise's exclusive negotiating rights to NYR prior to July 1st for like a draft pick. What's to stop Parise from not working out a deal with NYR and resigning with NJD again after he becomes an UFA on July 1st.

Are there any rules? Anything with qualifying offers and such that may prevent this type of situation? I take it there's no restriction on resigning with NJD after becoming an UFA.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Leetch66

Habs have some good young blueline talent on the way that all played in the Memorial Cup Tourney a couple of weeks ago...it might be time to kick the tires on Subban . Maybe we can flip a guy like AA/Stepan or even DZ and a prospect of some sort or a mix of those guys and a pick.

I like the game Subban brings and with some more maturity...he will become a way better all around player than DZ will ever be and he has no fear shooting the puck from the point whenever he has the opportunity .

The addition of both Subban and Kreider on our PP for a whole season will automatically make our team much more offensive thus eliminating the need for the desired 7 Million dollar player everyone covets and one that we cannot afford .

Old
06-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Vitto79

McClement going to Free Agency. I like this guy for the 4th line and PK

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2012...alanche/10811/

Old
06-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR ribbet View Post
RFA/UFA question.

Let's just use Parise, NJD, and NYR as an example in this scenario (has nothing to do with any negotiations that may or may not happen).

Say NJD decides to trade Parise's exclusive negotiating rights to NYR prior to July 1st for like a draft pick. What's to stop Parise from not working out a deal with NYR and resigning with NJD again after he becomes an UFA on July 1st.

Are there any rules? Anything with qualifying offers and such that may prevent this type of situation? I take it there's no restriction on resigning with NJD after becoming an UFA.
Yes, Parise could have his rights traded and then go back and sign with his original team (in this case the Devils) as soon as July 1st comes. Never seen this done before, but it's certainly legal.

That's partially why the return for "rights" is usually very low for UFA's. RFA's are a different story because the only way they can sign with another team is through an offer sheet which can either be matched or the team losing the player can get compensation in the form of draft picks. In Parise's case it'd be something like two firsts, a second and a third, unless he signed for a cap-hit over 7.8 in which case the compensation would be four consecutive 1st round picks.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:08 PM
NJRangers35

Does anybody have any guesses on how what type of contracts we can expect to hand out to McDonagh and Del Zotto? Very curious. Thanks.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:12 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRangers35 View Post
Does anybody have any guesses on how what type of contracts we can expect to hand out to McDonagh and Del Zotto? Very curious. Thanks.
McDonagh I see getting 5/$25m or at best 5/$20m. Arbitration eligible group II.

Del Zotto. Group II. Ineligible for arbitration. 2/$5m or 3/$9m.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
Old
06-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
McClement going to Free Agency. I like this guy for the 4th line and PK

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2012...alanche/10811/
another 4th liner much rather go after Stoll but i bet he resigns with the Kings...

Old
06-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRangers35 View Post
McDonagh won't have arbitration rights, but it greatly depends on his offensive production. Ballpark? 3 mil for 2 years is my guess.

I forget what DZ's ELC status is so I'll let someone else comment on that.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:14 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
another 4th liner much rather go after Stoll but i bet he resigns with the Kings...
Would like Stoll or Gaustad but whether we like it or not Boyle is likely 3rd line C with another as the 4th line like a McClement. Hope I am wrong

Closed Thread