HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[BOS] Kelly Re-signed (4 Years, $12 Million - AAV of $3 Million)

Old
06-13-2012, 09:57 PM
Scruffy
Beast Mode

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
I hope this isn't off topic.

Is Marc Savard permanently on LTIR? Does his cap count towards the cap during the off season? Does any of this pertain to the Kelly signing?
Savard was never placed on LTIR because the Bruins were under the cap with his hit included. Yes his cap counts against the cap until he is placed on LTIR. None of it pertains to the Kelly Signing.

It was "rejected" because it would put the Bruins over the current cap, but it will be signed on July 1st and all of this nonsense will be put to rest. Non-story here.

Scruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:15 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deflowd View Post
I don't understand. What is payroll tagging, and why was the contract voided?

Thanks.
The Bruins can't have more than the current upper limit of $64.3M committed for next season.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:10 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
Savard was never placed on LTIR because the Bruins were under the cap with his hit included. [u]Yes his cap counts against the cap until he is placed on LTIR.[/] None of it pertains to the Kelly Signing.

It was "rejected" because it would put the Bruins over the current cap, but it will be signed on July 1st and all of this nonsense will be put to rest. Non-story here.
Technically Savard's salary counts towards the cap all the time. Teams are allowed to exceed the cap due to players on LTIR during the regular season. Savard will be eligible to go on LTIR when the next regular season begins around Oct 1st if the CBA renegotiation doesn't delay it.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:41 AM
Prongo
Beer

I know if this was Holmgren, the Flyers fan base would be ripping him a new one.

I forget who said it(I think it was a GM actually in an interview), but this happens more then we think, we just don't hear about it that much. The NHL just tells them some things need to be slightly adjusted or it exceeds the tagging space, and bing bang boom it gets changed(or they wait). Everyone goes home happy.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 05:36 AM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
Savard was never placed on LTIR because the Bruins were under the cap with his hit included. Yes his cap counts against the cap until he is placed on LTIR. None of it pertains to the Kelly Signing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Bruins can't have more than the current upper limit of $64.3M committed for next season.

Okay guys, but even Kelly's contract is signed today, it is for the next season.

He's still under his current/old contract which fit under the current cap (64.3M), as it fitted during the season.

How can the new Kelly's cap hit count against old salary cap? I don't get it ...

PenguinTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:48 AM
FallsForItEveryYear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
Okay guys, but even Kelly's contract is signed today, it is for the next season.

He's still under his current/old contract which fit under the current cap (64.3M), as it fitted during the season.

How can the new Kelly's cap hit count against old salary cap? I don't get it ...
yea i havent seen an answer either. doesnt seem to make sense to me. how can a contract that doesnt kick in to july first have any bearing on the current cap? once july first rolls around boston has plenty of cap space because other contracts expire like rolston.

FallsForItEveryYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:57 AM
SilverRiver89

vCash: 1365
I think it's just that the new cap doesn't apply until July even though we have the calculation.

SilverRiver89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:07 AM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsForItEveryYear View Post
yea i havent seen an answer either. doesnt seem to make sense to me. how can a contract that doesnt kick in to july first have any bearing on the current cap? once july first rolls around boston has plenty of cap space because other contracts expire like rolston.
No team is allowed to have cap obligations for the next season that surpass the current season's cap ceiling. I guess it's a way to stop teams from signing players to 1-year affordable deals to get under the cap for a season, and then sign them to bigger extensions during the season (possibly promised beforehand.) Maybe that would be considered a backhanded way of keeping premier talent while staying under the cap.

I remember in 2007-2008, the Ducks traded Andy McDonald to the Blues for pending UFA Doug Weight+, because when Niedermayer came back and got unsuspended, his & McDonald's cap hit for 2008-2009 would have put the Ducks over the 2007-2008 cap limit, if you follow me. Since Weight was a pending UFA with no cap hit for 2008-2009, trading McDonald for Weight solved the "tagging" issue.

So once July 1st hits, the Bruins will be allowed to operate under the new $70.3 million limit (unless a new CBA changes it), and the Kelly deal can become official.

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote