HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Just how good will Bernier be?

Old
06-09-2012, 12:32 PM
kingsboy11
Comeback King

vCash: 500
When I see bernier play, he seems kind of asleep when the game starts, but as the game goes on he is unbeatable. Very calm, sound in his own net, not scrambly and is very good with his stick(unlike his teamate)

kingsboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 12:37 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Bernier can be a top 5 goalie.

With Bernie, the bigger the game, the better he performs. He thrives on pressure and doesn't crumble as easily as most goalies would. Kings would be foolish to rush and trade him. Unless someone blows Dean away with an offer, I don't see the point.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Not entirely sure how people are already saying he has top 5 potential definitely.

The biggest concern with any goaltender is consistency. He has good outings. But i've seen him have bad outings. A top five goaltender isn't lights out every night, but he is good almost every night.

The only way Bernier can prove that is if he plays on a consistent basis.

So as far as top 5 potential? I think some of you are really reaching on that. That's projecting without valuable information. He's a good goalie for sure. Based on his skill set, I'd say top 10 is fair. But I would not be bold enough to say top 5 until we see him play at the NHL level on a more consistent basis.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Mr Los Angeles

hes fundamentally sound. doesnt rely on his athleticism like quick does. i think someone before me has already said this but it really does rely on the goaltending coach on how much a player matures (look at the quick and ranford coach/player duo). ive definitely never been worried with him as a back up. the only problem i have with bernier is that he seems to give up a lot of soft goals but that can be because he is still really young and does not have much nhl experience

Mr Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudboy View Post
People forget how long Lombardi hung on to Kiprusoff, Toskala, and Nabokov. Bernier will not be moved next year. UNLESS, they need big-time help, at the deadline.
This. Though with Zatkoff and Jones awaiting in Manchester, Berube in Ontario and Gibson toiling in the QMJHL (and I think able to go AHL/ECHL). The logjam does present an issue for Lombardi.

Unless Lombardi can turn a Bernier deal into either a high end forward prospect or a high draft choice (i.e. a lottery pick), I say he trades Zatkoff instead, even if Zatkoff is a RFA, I think he gets re-signed. Give Jones the starters job full-time in Manchester and Berube another year in Ontario with Gibson backing him up. Either that or have Gibson go play in Finland for a year (providing he'd get the playing time the Kings would want for development).

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 04:09 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post
As for trading him. IF the Kings go on to win the cup, I hope they trade him. Quick is #1, and he has more than established himself with this playoff run. Quick contract will get done. Bernier has done all he is asked and now he deserves a shot at playing regularly. I hope DL will trade him into the right situation. The Kings on the other hand can use a high pick this draft, and with pretty much all the key pieces signed for next season, I think DL would look to replenish the minor league system, draft picks or prospects, instead of getting someone who will compete for roster spot
I don't understand that line of thinking.

If LA wins the Cup, the pressure will be on to repeat. Having a solid backup goalie will be WAAAAAAY more important to next year's team than any first round pick.

If you haven't noticed, LA is incredibly deep and chances are, that 1st round pick won't have a chance to break the lineup for several years.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Scottkmlps

He could be top 5 if he learnt how to fight to see the puck through screens and traffic. Quick is a master at that. If Bernier can learn to do that, the sky is the limit for him.
I honestly see Dean holding onto him for one more year to give Jones and/or Zatkoff another year in the minors to develop. There really is no hurry to deal him.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 06:30 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
He could be top 5 if he learnt how to fight to see the puck through screens and traffic. Quick is a master at that. If Bernier can learn to do that, the sky is the limit for him.
I honestly see Dean holding onto him for one more year to give Jones and/or Zatkoff another year in the minors to develop. There really is no hurry to deal him.

And this is where I step in. Quick is "a master at it" because that's his style to always be moving. There's a reason you see very few NHL goalies move their heads as much as Quick and that's because Quick is probably the most active goalie in the NHL. That doesn't however translate to seeing the puck through traffic necessarily. I think Bernier is actually pretty good at finding pucks through traffic. And unlike Quick, he stays calm which might make it look like he's not tracking the puck well but he really is.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Hey does anyone have the link where Lombardi explains why we still had Bernier at the trade deadline this year, how he wanted to keep him for Quick's contract negotiations?

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
I don't understand that line of thinking.

If LA wins the Cup, the pressure will be on to repeat. Having a solid backup goalie will be WAAAAAAY more important to next year's team than any first round pick.

If you haven't noticed, LA is incredibly deep and chances are, that 1st round pick won't have a chance to break the lineup for several years.
I agree with this. We could use a high pick like anyone could use a high pick...just to add to the coffers. But we don't NEED one. We will need some decent picks in the next few years to trade for rentals during future runs but they don't have to be high firsts.

Besides, I'd rather give up picks rather than prospects that have already panned a little bit and our organization has already put work in to...plus the obvious thing where we're HF guys and once a prospect is in our org a bit, we have a tendency to form an attachment to them. Not that I wouldn't do a deal like the Richards deal, it just hurts more when you do 'em, lol.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Interesting thread

Halak (Who was far more proven coming off good Olympic and deep playoff run) netted a good prospect (Eller) and a average one (Schultz)

I cant see Bernier getting that type of package

I do like the person who used Brees/Rivers comparision about your situaiton

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
I think that Bernier will definitely be a top 15 guy in the league, if not even higher. The key is that he just needs to play a lot, which obviously comes with the territory of being the clear starter. The greedy side of me wants to keep him here, but he's too good to be warming the bench all season long. The dude is ready for his turn and I just hope he goes to a team that we don't see too often.
This. I, like many of us here have been watching this kid since he was drafted, think he will be a top 10 goalie in the league and it's his time to shine. Assuming DL can get a deal in place for Quick I think its time we send him somewhere where he can shine and play 70 games a year.

The only issue at this point is that DL is going to want to get paid for him and I'm not sure that a team is going to give up what DL will want for "potential".

One thing I will say is that whoever gets him will win the inevitable deal.

Hatter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:12 AM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Curious... Do you guys think he will be better than Quick? Do you feel Quick is your future, or is Quick the amazing superstar stopgap until Bernier steals the spotlight?

Will you guys regret getting rid of one of these guys pretty soon?

Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:02 AM
kynen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyrocket View Post
Curious... Do you guys think he will be better than Quick? Do you feel Quick is your future, or is Quick the amazing superstar stopgap until Bernier steals the spotlight?

Will you guys regret getting rid of one of these guys pretty soon?
A Vezina nominee isn't a stopgap, it's what you strive for. Quick is here to stay.

I will however miss Bernier when he is traded later. I think he has great potential...

kynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:36 PM
SuperAlmeida

L.A. Lariviere ‏@L_A_theRiver#Kings Bernier had asked for a trade in régular season, says he's happy to've stayed on board for Cup quest #SCFinals #NHL

SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 06:25 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrazor12 View Post
Top ten. Maybe top 5 if he reaches his full potential.

In no order, in three years we could see a top 5 of....

Quick
Bernier
Schnieder
Rask
Lundqvist/rinne/price
Bernier is the next Jocelyn Thibault. There's nothing special about the guy at all.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:09 PM
BringTheReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
I think personally in terms of value, his stocks are fairly low. His potential is extremely high. He needs to have more games on his shoulder.

On the other hand he is learning a lot from Quick and the entire playoff experience, so his value wise has gone up.

If I were to rate him, I would say, if he's traded this summer we should be getting a:
1 Top 6
1st rounder
Prospect Goalie

Maybe I am overvaluing him but hmm, i dont know.

Next year before the trade deadline:
Prospect Goalie
1 Top 6, whose contract will be expiring as well

But who knows. Management might be crazy enough to trade away Quick this summer or next year and use JB as an anchor, but I know this will anger a lot of fans and DL will probably get fired. Kind of like what happened to the Habs when they traded away Roy.

My hopes are to keep both goalies because nowadays they are so hard to find and once you find a good one, like quick, he will elevate your team!
I want whatever you're on, because if you think Bernier is going to land us that, then you're delusional. Varlamov got a high 1st round pick after a stellar playoff run and people were still saying that that was an overpayment.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Bernier is the next Jocelyn Thibault. There's nothing special about the guy at all.
That's pretty insulting.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
That's pretty insulting.
Not like he said Bernier was the next Olli Jokinen or something HA !

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:37 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
That's pretty insulting.
Lol sorry. That might be a bit harsh and exaggerated. But he really hasn't done anything special to warrant he'll ever be a top 10 goalie.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:21 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

The thing about Bernier is that we have to keep him until we re-sign Quick. There's no way we trade him if we don't re-up Quick. The most Jonathan Bernier is ever going to do for this club is be used as leverage in the Quick negotiation (No pun intended)

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:07 AM
Roxo

Send a message via AIM to Roxo
I really really like bernier....

Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:25 AM
regulate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
This. Though with Zatkoff and Jones awaiting in Manchester, Berube in Ontario and Gibson toiling in the QMJHL (and I think able to go AHL/ECHL). The logjam does present an issue for Lombardi.

Unless Lombardi can turn a Bernier deal into either a high end forward prospect or a high draft choice (i.e. a lottery pick), I say he trades Zatkoff instead, even if Zatkoff is a RFA, I think he gets re-signed. Give Jones the starters job full-time in Manchester and Berube another year in Ontario with Gibson backing him up. Either that or have Gibson go play in Finland for a year (providing he'd get the playing time the Kings would want for development).
Zatkoff is an unrestriced free agent on July 1, so unless the Kings sign him shortly, he is no longer in our plans.

The Kings would be foolish, short of a massive overpayment for Bernier, to trade him this year.

1) You need an NHL caliber goal every game, not just when the starter is playing. I want to win every single time. Good goal tending gives you that chance. (Didn't we just learn this boys and girls).

2) Lombardi needs a bargaining chip. Quick is signed for one more full season. Obviously, everyone wants to get Quick signed to an extension. Bernier wants to play, and has high end NHL talent, but Lombardi needs to hold on to him until Quick is signed long term, plus we need an NHL caliber back up. Sucks for Bernier, but that's the way it is.

3) Injuries happen in this league. If Quick was seriously injured (think concussion), then what? Martin Jones? This isn't a video game, this is the back bone of your team built around defense. No way Lombardi is that much of a gambler short of massive overpayment.

regulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
L.A. Lariviere ‏@L_A_theRiver#Kings Bernier had asked for a trade in régular season, says he's happy to've stayed on board for Cup quest #SCFinals #NHL
I think this is what we all expected. All comes down to:

1. Does Quick sign early.

If he waits till UFA then all bets are off.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:15 AM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Lol sorry. That might be a bit harsh and exaggerated. But he really hasn't done anything special to warrant he'll ever be a top 10 goalie.
really? you mean as a backup for a Vezina/Smythe trophy guy he hasn't done anything? You don't say. The force is strong withy this one.

Hatter is online now   Reply With Quote