HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jay McClement Headed to Free Agency

Old
06-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 813
People are dreaming if they want him for 2mil per. The Avs would have signed him to that already based on what we've heard.

It'll be 2.5+ minimum.

He's a good 3rd line center who will make everyone's PK better, provide solid leadership and chip in 10g-20a for you along the way.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:18 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
He's a guy who should end up overpaid. You've got at least 2 teams (Chicago and Toronto) with just godawful special teams who have talked about upgrading, and you've got a UFA who averages over 3 minutes per game of PK time. All signs point to bidding war.
If that was true I would still be very happy. I mean how much overpaid could McClement get? Probably not any more so than Paul Gaustad

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:24 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

I was hoping he'd become available.

Detroit: 3 years, 11 million. They could really use a guy like him in the dot, and on the PK. Plus that slots down Helm to the 4th line and lets Filppula remain at wing.

Come on Holland...

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:25 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
I could see him get close to $3M/year.

He is, in even strength, a third-fourth line tweener. He is solid in the faceoff circle and a fantastic penalty killer. I don't think he'll be worth what he will get paid but no doubt a very useful player.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:28 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Tor
det
buf
ott

06-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Tor
det
buf
ott
All good picks.

In that order?(likeliness)

Old
06-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Spitfire11

Isn't Boyd Gordon a better version of Jay McClement? Maybe not in offense, but certainly in defense/FO/PK and he's RH.

He didn't exactly get paid big bucks last offseason.

Spitfire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:49 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
If you just want to be screwed in the future, sure why not. Or it just means you don't have much talent in the top 6 or on defense. McClement isn't anything more than a 4th liner who can get 20-25 points. Good, but not great faceoff guy at 51.3%. He does play really good defense and is good in the locker room, but that isn't worth more than 2 million.
He plays really good defence.

He is good in the locker room.

He's a good faceoff guy (not sure how your math works but 51.3 is pretty damn good)

He's a great PK'er.

He's a centerman.

And he isn't worth more than 2 million dollars...in free agency?

Do people still think the cap is at 45 million or something?

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
I was hoping he'd become available.

Detroit: 3 years, 11 million. They could really use a guy like him in the dot, and on the PK. Plus that slots down Helm to the 4th line and lets Filppula remain at wing.

Come on Holland...
That would probably be the winning bid, sounds like he was asking for 3M from the Avs, and they wouldnt go above 2.5M. 3.33M is probably what he'll get in the open market.

Sucks, he was the reason Oreilly broke out last year, allowed Oreilly to play more offensivly then previous years.

Pierce Hawthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Lux Aurumque*

He'd be a great fit on the Jets' third line.

Little, Burmistrov, McClemment and Slater down the middle would be solid.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:53 PM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

vCash: 50
Quote:
Tor
det
buf
ott
I think that both Ottawa and Detroit have similar/younger options in Helm and Z.Smith so I'd be surprised if he ended up there. Even Buffalo has Roy/Ennis/Hodgson up the middle as of now (even though we all expect Roy to be on his way out).

stempniaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:56 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
He plays really good defence.

He is good in the locker room.

He's a good faceoff guy (not sure how your math works but 51.3 is pretty damn good)

He's a great PK'er.

He's a centerman.

And he isn't worth more than 2 million dollars...in free agency?

Do people still think the cap is at 45 million or something?
51.3 is not near the tops in the league. He is a good faceoff man, but he is not an ace.

When has paying top dollar to a 4th liner ever actually worked out? He will make some teams better, but he is not going to suddenly make non-playoff teams into playoff teams and he isn't the piece that will take teams over the hump, and those teams won't have the cap space.

The most I'd give him would be 2 million, but you can find players to do his job for a lot less. We replaced him with Nichol, who signed under a million, is better at faceoffs, and our penalty kill was still great.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:01 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Some of the money being thrown around here is ridiculous though. 3M+? Unless you have nobody to play center for your team, pass

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:02 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
Isn't Boyd Gordon a better version of Jay McClement? Maybe not in offense, but certainly in defense/FO/PK and he's RH.

He didn't exactly get paid big bucks last offseason.
Yes, but Boyd's injury history meant he was had at a discount. He also wasn't getting the ice-time in WSH that he did in PHX. Jay rarely misses a game.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:02 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
All good picks.

In that order?(likeliness)
Sure.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:09 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Yes, but Boyd's injury history meant he was had at a discount. He also wasn't getting the ice-time in WSH that he did in PHX. Jay rarely misses a game.
That and the number of quality players on the market of this caliber and the large amount of teams looking for players as such drives up the price even more. One by one, a bottom 6 center has been re-signed (Kelly, Campbell, and Slater recently) and the few that actually make it to the market will be in high demand.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:09 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Probably looking for 3m+, Avs didn't want to pay a 4th line centre that much since he's behind Stastny, Duchene and O'Reilly on the depth chart.

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Sure.
That works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
That would probably be the winning bid, sounds like he was asking for 3M from the Avs, and they wouldnt go above 2.5M. 3.33M is probably what he'll get in the open market.

Sucks, he was the reason Oreilly broke out last year, allowed Oreilly to play more offensivly then previous years.
Exactly, it's free agency. And, like you said, he allows other players on the team to perform because they aren't overextended.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:29 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
51.3 is not near the tops in the league. He is a good faceoff man, but he is not an ace.

When has paying top dollar to a 4th liner ever actually worked out? He will make some teams better, but he is not going to suddenly make non-playoff teams into playoff teams and he isn't the piece that will take teams over the hump, and those teams won't have the cap space.

The most I'd give him would be 2 million, but you can find players to do his job for a lot less. We replaced him with Nichol, who signed under a million, is better at faceoffs, and our penalty kill was still great.
So there's what....10, 15 "good" faceoff men in the league?

How do you know he isn't the guy who can take a team over the hump?

Maybe he signs in Vancouver and as a result of him signing on they can use Kesler minimally on the PK, and as a result of that he's fresher for a playoff run and as a result of that they are able to get back to the finals and maybe win this time.

Maybe he signs in Montreal and as a result of that they can use Plekanec way less on the penalty kill and as a result of that he's fresher for them on a regular basis and he plays a big part in them returning to the playoffs.

It's about a sum of all the parts, not just looking at it like a situation where you look at how much he makes and declare him to be overpaid. If a team can fit him in to their cap space at 4 million (though he won't get that) and they feel he makes their team better in various ways who cares if he's "overpaid"?

I'd rather pay a guy like McClement who "deserves" 2 million dollars 3.5 million dollars than pay a guy like Cammalleri 6 million when he deserves 5. And there's countless others like Cammalleri who I'd feel that way about

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:36 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:

How do you know he isn't the guy who can take a team over the hump?

Maybe he signs in Vancouver and as a result of him signing on they can use Kesler minimally on the PK, and as a result of that he's fresher for a playoff run and as a result of that they are able to get back to the finals and maybe win this time.

Maybe he signs in Montreal and as a result of that they can use Plekanec way less on the penalty kill and as a result of that he's fresher for them on a regular basis and he plays a big part in them returning to the playoffs.

It's about a sum of all the parts, not just looking at it like a situation where you look at how much he makes and declare him to be overpaid. If a team can fit him in to their cap space at 4 million (though he won't get that) and they feel he makes their team better in various ways who cares if he's "overpaid"?

I'd rather pay a guy like McClement who "deserves" 2 million dollars 3.5 million dollars than pay a guy like Cammalleri 6 million when he deserves 5. And there's countless others like Cammalleri who I'd feel that way about
Uh huh. A player like him has a bigger impact on the team that his individual stats. It allows the coach to slot different players into an offensive roll, with less time on the pk, mostly because the coach has a depth player they can trust to hold the fort.

Let's the offensive guys stay fresh.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:43 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
I'm a McClement fan and I've always been ever since he came up with the Blues, so I'm not gonna talk bad about him.

I'm just gonna point out how you have terrible reading skills, and how you assume that I don't think McClement is good at faceoffs, when I clearly said he was good, he just isn't great. If people think they are signing someone who is great at faceoffs, they will be disappointed.

On nhl.com, he is 84th amongst centers. There were some outliers, so I could see him being around 60-70th best in the league. That means he should be your 2nd best faceoff man.

He is a very good penalty killer, but he isn't a vital piece. We lost him and we still have a great penalty kill. You can find other options that can do just as good of a job for A LOT LESS.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:50 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Been a fan of Silent Jay for years now. I'd love him on the Caps for 2.5-3M per year. Slot him in at 3C to let Laich rejoin the top 6 and give Beagle the perfect role model to learn from.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:53 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
ou can find other options that can do just as good of a job for A LOT LESS.
...without the offensive production.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:06 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
...without the offensive production.
17 points last season, 20 before that, and the only reason he had bigger numbers before with St. Louis, even though he only topped 30 once, was because he was given minutes on some of the top lines because of injuries and a poor roster. He was a 3rd line center for us when we healthy, but if a team has true Cup ambition, McClement won't be their 3rd line center.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:18 PM
BlueDream

Wow good job by the Avs to move on from him if these rumors of what he's asking for are true. Anything close to 3 mil per year will be ridiculous. Dude's a 4th-line center...you can find other penalty killers out there for cheaper. He's not worth that.

BlueDream is online now   Reply With Quote