HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jay McClement’s days with Avalanche likely over

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2012, 08:48 PM
  #51
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$
 
bohlmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,283
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
If anything this team needs more veterans.
LOL. Yeah. If anything hopefully we are replacing him with more of a leader.

haha. Open it up for a younger player.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:02 PM
  #52
Bonzai12
Registered User
 
Bonzai12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver CO
Country: United States
Posts: 6,745
vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Puzzling.

They keep McLeod and dump McClement. Should have been the other way around.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:12 PM
  #53
Pure
Registered User
 
Pure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,943
vCash: 665
Disappointing, but I saw it coming. Theres just not much room when we can have Olver play 4th line center.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:14 PM
  #54
BoxOfChocolates
Registered User
 
BoxOfChocolates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cap Floor
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
Disappointing, but I saw it coming. Theres just not much room when we can have Olver play 4th line center.
No we really can't.

BoxOfChocolates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:16 PM
  #55
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
No doubt. He may have been a little over qualified for what we need. We need to replace him with a player that is great in the face off circle, and a good penalty killer.

Anyone think Winnik could be coming back? UFA, good PK'er.
Highly doubt that.

Christian Litscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:19 PM
  #56
Rhaego
Registered User
 
Rhaego's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 6,644
vCash: 50
If he wanted 3 mill, thank god we let him go

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:34 PM
  #57
Lonewolfe2015
Registered User
 
Lonewolfe2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 11,114
vCash: 239
The biggest problem is we may be losing our two most frequent PKers from last season, Jay and Dan.

Good news? This could mean more time for Staz, Radar, Lando and Jones on the PK. More skilled offensive guys should mean less Winnik breakaways where he shoots right into the goalie's chest.

Bad news is it means we lose some of our defensive potency and O'Reilly may get less offensive minutes.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:35 PM
  #58
Congo Jack
Hello M'Lady
 
Congo Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Candy Apple Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,646
vCash: 500
So does this mean Olver or Malone will compete for that spot?

Congo Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:45 PM
  #59
BoxOfChocolates
Registered User
 
BoxOfChocolates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cap Floor
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE RANDESKOGAH View Post
So does this mean Olver or Malone will compete for that spot?
I hope not, but it's what I'm expecting.

BoxOfChocolates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:58 PM
  #60
Ruiner058
Registered User
 
Ruiner058's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 69
vCash: 500
I think the worst part about this isn't really losing Jay, but that he'll walk and the Avs won't get anything - when at the deadline he was probably worth something. But the Avs were in the playoff race and that wasn't really a viable option at the time. So yeah, it sucks, but at the same time w/ the centers we have it wouldn't shock me if they let him walk. A 3rd round pick at the deadline would have been more than enough of a consolation but what are you going to do? Can't really blame anyone - it's just unfortunate.

Ruiner058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:03 PM
  #61
Bill Peckerskull
Farging Ice Holes
 
Bill Peckerskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 5,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruiner058 View Post
I think the worst part about this isn't really losing Jay, but that he'll walk and the Avs won't get anything - when at the deadline he was probably worth something. But the Avs were in the playoff race and that wasn't really a viable option at the time. So yeah, it sucks, but at the same time w/ the centers we have it wouldn't shock me if they let him walk. A 3rd round pick at the deadline would have been more than enough of a consolation but what are you going to do? Can't really blame anyone - it's just unfortunate.
What will suck is when he signs with a Western Conference or Division rival.

I'm sure the Avs have someone in mind as a replacement, but knowing their tightness with UFAs in years past, it will be a lesser player than we would all want.

Bill Peckerskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:13 PM
  #62
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1
 
Pierce Hawthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Caverns of Draconis
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,678
vCash: 500
Wonder what we could get for McC's rights? Obviously not much, but it'd be better to trade him for a 7th then let him walk for free right?

Also, Winnik is a UFA. Wonder if he would have any interest in comming back?

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:14 PM
  #63
JoemAvs
Registered User
 
JoemAvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,824
vCash: 250
Very disappointed .
Huge Jay homer here.

But in the end I get that you can not pay a guy like him more than 2.5 m a year. So I can not crucify Sherm and company for that.

What I dont like is that you overpay McLeod and Funwick who were completely replacable only to let go your best PKer.

Why not get rid of Hunwick and McLeod and sing Jay for 2.8m / 3 years?

Im bummed out right now.

I loved it when our key guys like Landy and Radar could focus on offense because Winnik and Jay took care of the PK. Now we wont see ROR improve offensively because he will have to shoulder Jays load.

i hope they get a replacement. But out of all bottom six special PK FA guys I rated Jay the most ( not counting guys like Gaustad who will obv get more than Jay is asking for and therefore never sign with us)

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:15 PM
  #64
skip2mybordeleau
Expected Regression
 
skip2mybordeleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,937
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Wonder what we could get for McC's rights? Obviously not much, but it'd be better to trade him for a 7th then let him walk for free right?

Also, Winnik is a UFA. Wonder if he would have any interest in comming back?
we have no need for winnik unless we let mueller walk, plus im sure winnik will be asking for mcclement type money as well i'd rather keep the guy we havent let go yet.

skip2mybordeleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:18 PM
  #65
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1
 
Pierce Hawthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Caverns of Draconis
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,678
vCash: 500
Heres a small list of potential UFA's I wouldnt mind signing to replace McClement.


Moen
Winnik(Weird option, but if he would come back I would take him)
Mitchell(SJ)
Burrish
Scott Nichol


Mitchell in particular interests me. Always like he and McGinn in San Jose before we got Ginner, adding Mitchell would be awesome IMO.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:19 PM
  #66
AvalancheFan19
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 802
vCash: 500
What's with the Winnik talk? Are we that quick to forget the black hole he generated offensively? I swear if Lando and Radar had a decent offensive winger for the entire season their numbers would be significantly higher.

AvalancheFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:43 PM
  #67
Hans Landaskog
Registered User
 
Hans Landaskog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 5,335
vCash: 50
I'm okay with a McCleod - Olver - Kobasew 4th line... maybe even Malone or Brophey. Could also mean Hishon or Sgarbossa gets slotted as a winger for Duchene.

Hans Landaskog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:44 PM
  #68
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$
 
bohlmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,283
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalancheFan19 View Post
What's with the Winnik talk? Are we that quick to forget the black hole he generated offensively? I swear if Lando and Radar had a decent offensive winger for the entire season their numbers would be significantly higher.
Well this is a thread about Jay McClement leaving. And people are talking about Winnik replacing the PK hole that losing McC will create. So it has nothing to do with Lando and O'Reilly's offense. And it has nothing to do with Winnik's obvious lack of offensive skills. He was a good PK'er and was good at playing a simple game. He would be a good option on the 4th line, with 3rd line potential. I hardly think anyone is interested in seeing him play 23 minutes a night like Sacco had him playing this season.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:46 PM
  #69
BoxOfChocolates
Registered User
 
BoxOfChocolates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cap Floor
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OReally View Post
I'm okay with a McCleod - Olver - Kobasew 4th line... maybe even Malone or Brophey. Could also mean Hishon or Sgarbossa gets slotted as a winger for Duchene.
Ugh.

BoxOfChocolates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:50 PM
  #70
The Mars Volchenkov
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 37,275
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Can we really trust Dater, though? A few weeks ago he said the only UFA's he knew for sure the Avs wanted to bring back were O'Brien and McClement, and those are the only two that aren't signed. There's still a few weeks, anything can happen.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:52 PM
  #71
Unaffiliated
Registered User
 
Unaffiliated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Richmond, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,138
vCash: 50
tps mia?

Unaffiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:10 PM
  #72
shadow1
Registered User
 
shadow1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 11,296
vCash: 1210
Like I was talking about in the Trade thread the other day, you just can't pay a guy like Jay McClement top dollar when you're a low revenue team with three centers ahead of him on the depth chart.

Dominic Moore made $1.2 million dollars last season ($1.1 million cap hit). While McClement is certainly better defensively and probably better overall, the difference between the two is not the rumored money McClement wanted. Nor is it the difference between Colorado making or missing the playoffs.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:23 PM
  #73
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ballarado
Country: United States
Posts: 6,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
Very disappointed .
Huge Jay homer here.

But in the end I get that you can not pay a guy like him more than 2.5 m a year. So I can not crucify Sherm and company for that.

What I dont like is that you overpay McLeod and Funwick who were completely replacable only to let go your best PKer.

Why not get rid of Hunwick and McLeod and sing Jay for 2.8m / 3 years?

Im bummed out right now.

I loved it when our key guys like Landy and Radar could focus on offense because Winnik and Jay took care of the PK. Now we wont see ROR improve offensively because he will have to shoulder Jays load.

i hope they get a replacement. But out of all bottom six special PK FA guys I rated Jay the most ( not counting guys like Gaustad who will obv get more than Jay is asking for and therefore never sign with us)
McLeod and Hunwick aren't overpaid.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:54 PM
  #74
skip2mybordeleau
Expected Regression
 
skip2mybordeleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,937
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
McLeod and Hunwick aren't overpaid.
i would say hunwick is, 1.6 million for our seventh defenceman


and if i disagree with anyone thinking hishon or sgarbossa make the team next year, if we do we are not a playoff team ,

skip2mybordeleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:04 AM
  #75
Bonzai12
Registered User
 
Bonzai12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver CO
Country: United States
Posts: 6,745
vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
"Cup Half Full" Viewpoint - Money could be saved for a big name FA.

(yeah yeah I know it's unrealistic, but let's see. If this means signing Parise or Suter we'll all be having a crow feast)

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.