HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Thread 2012 II: Offseason Harder

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2012, 10:29 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

vCash: 500
Offseason Thread 2012 II: Offseason Harder

Continue!

06-13-2012, 10:31 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Harder?

Old
06-13-2012, 10:32 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633

Old
06-13-2012, 10:33 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Remember, Robert Patrick got killed in the 2nd Die Hard movie.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Harder?
Die Hard 2 joke is the best I could do while bridging the gap quickly.

Also...I see what you did there. There's a penisy connotation

Old
06-13-2012, 10:34 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Screw defense! Trade for all the superstars! Acquire Nash, Stamkos, and Parise! Scoring 500 billion goals next year! Stick Hovinen in the net! He'll be so huge no more deflection goals! Have Mathers on the team and have him punch out other teams players! Win the cup!

But seriously I'll be okay getting Nash, 2nd overall as long as we keep Schenn and Couturier. I just got Schenn's jersey!

Old
06-13-2012, 10:39 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
Screw defense! Trade for all the superstars! Acquire Nash, Stamkos, and Parise! Scoring 500 billion goals next year! Stick Hovinen in the net! He'll be so huge no more deflection goals! Have Mathers on the team and have him punch out other teams players! Win the cup!

But seriously I'll be okay getting Nash, 2nd overall as long as we keep Schenn and Couturier. I just got Schenn's jersey!
You left out giroux

Old
06-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Jtown

Please just say no to nash. We had a better cheaper version of nash that we traded away last year.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:08 PM
Krishna

Carter or Richards?

Would say neither of them are like Nash

Combination of them? Yeah

Old
06-13-2012, 11:10 PM
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28

Sign Justin Schultz

Old
06-13-2012, 11:46 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
You left out giroux
who?

Homer will def throw in next years 2nd just to keep the annual tradition going.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:48 PM
YuioIklo

Even though I'd love to see Nash in O & B, I'm scared to trade JVR. The guy could really explose when healthy and become an incredible player.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:01 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Please just say no to nash. We had a better cheaper version of nash that we traded away last year.
Who? Carter? For his price he may be better than Nash, but his skill is not. There's a reason why Nash started the 2010 Olympics on Sidney Crosby's wing and Jeff Carter started it on his living room couch.

Dawkins121 from the last thread
Quote:
Say what you want about his cap hit, but doesn't a package based around those 3 seem like underpayment for Nash alone? What would it take to even sniff a Nash + JJ or Nash + 2nd? Add Read and a 1st or even more?
Nash's price will be down because Howson burned his bridge with him immediately after the trade deadline. I think both Nash, Howson, and 29 other GMs know that he won't play a single game for CBJ this season. Howson didn't help himself in the negotiating market, much like Snider didn't help Holmgren last offseason by saying that we would acquire a #1 goaltender...

Old
06-14-2012, 08:09 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I think Holmgren knows an elite winger is needed, but I don't think that winger is Nash. I hope everyone on here realizes that the cost of Rick Nash will be high. People can say what they want about Nash playing his last game in Columbus, but there's no way Scott Howson is just going to accept a package that might look mediocre compared to what others are prepared to offer up for Nash.

The best thing the Flyers can do is sit back and let other teams approach them. They've been so aggressive the past few seasons that in some cases, it's blown up on them because they've grossly overpaid for players when they didn't have to. Let the Rangers blow their entire farm and future for Nash. It's not like the Flyers need a complete overhaul. Get the defense fixed first then look for that elite winger.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:38 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I think Holmgren knows an elite winger is needed, but I don't think that winger is Nash. I hope everyone on here realizes that the cost of Rick Nash will be high. People can say what they want about Nash playing his last game in Columbus, but there's no way Scott Howson is just going to accept a package that might look mediocre compared to what others are prepared to offer up for Nash.

The best thing the Flyers can do is sit back and let other teams approach them. They've been so aggressive the past few seasons that in some cases, it's blown up on them because they've grossly overpaid for players when they didn't have to. Let the Rangers blow their entire farm and future for Nash. It's not like the Flyers need a complete overhaul. Get the defense fixed first then look for that elite winger.
So you'd Like the flyers to not beat the rangers again for about 3 or 4 years?

Old
06-14-2012, 09:44 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
So you'd Like the flyers to not beat the rangers again for about 3 or 4 years?
You are underestimating how muh Nash is going to cost. The Rangers wont have the current roster they have and most likely will lose an inportant player or two.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:15 AM
Schenn10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
You are underestimating how muh Nash is going to cost. The Rangers wont have the current roster they have and most likely will lose an inportant player or two.
Not to mention they will then have a 7.5 million dollar winger and a 7.8 million dollar winger on top of the reduced depth they will lose in a trade for Nash.

The only reason I think the Flyers may be able to pull off a Nash trade and not be crippled is because they have an overabundance of offensive depth. If the current roster offensive lineup looks something like this:

Jagr - Giroux - Hartnell
Simmonds - Schenn / Briere - Schenn / Briere
Voracek - Couturier - JvR
Read - Talbot - Wellwood

That is a ridiculous amount of offensive depth. We would potentially have 24 and a 19 goal scorers on the 4th line. There simply isn't enough minutes to go around in that lineup.

I think the Flyers desperately want to give Couturier and Schenn plenty of powerplay minutes next year. But if the current powerplay lines remain at:

Hartnell - Giroux - Simmonds
Timonen - Voracek

Jagr - Briere - Schenn / Read
Carle- Meszaros / Schenn

There simply aren't enough minutes to give all of Couturier, JvR, Schenn, and Read time to blossom offensively. I think this is the major reason (if the rumors are true) that the Flyers want to trade JvR and/or Read, they simply do not have enough minutes offensively for all of them to fulfill their potential.

Obviously the optimal solution would be to trade from our abundance of offensive depth to obtain a high-end defender, but if that isn't currently possible I believe the Flyers may think that the next best thing is to consolidate some of the offensive depth into more elite talent, such as a Rick Nash.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:17 AM
Stockholm Syndrome

Yippie ki-yay, mother****er.

Really not opposed to getting Nash, but we really need help on D first.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:29 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
Even though I'd love to see Nash in O & B, I'm scared to trade JVR. The guy could really explose when healthy and become an incredible player.
agreed...Keep all the young kids. I like Jagr...but by adding him...we push Read or Talbot to the 4th line. Now for sure...we will have 1 injury up front so maybe both will be on 3rd line with 1 injury. Use the 3 mill on DDDDDDDDDD. And if that deal isn't there on draft day...or July 1. KEEP THE CAP SPACE for when a deal might open up(Weber). Of course, if we can add Suter...go for it. And Shultz too if you can. I just don't see the logic in trading 2 forwards for a better forward. We did the reverse of that last summer.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:31 AM
JABEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklund
The Flyers, Canadiens, Capitals, and Hurricanes all may have interest in Jay Bouwmeester. As I have reported over the past few days, it really sounds like the Flyers are attempting to move for a top D-man via trade...and they may be willing to give up a top 6 forward...or even two if that other D-man is Shea Weber... More on that later today..l
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...s-Iggy/1/44944

Eklund is now saying that the Flyers may be trying to move two top 6 forwards for Weber. Who could those top 6 forwards be? JVR and Voracek?

Old
06-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post

Eklund is now saying that the Flyers may be trying to move two top 6 forwards for Weber. Who could those top 6 forwards be? JVR and Voracek?
He's been saying it for a while. No chance--not with Suter apparently unwilling to come back.

To answer your question, though, I think Nashville would want one of JVR / Voracek and one of Schenn / Couturier to start with, plus multiple first round picks. I'd also think that they would want a replacement for Weber (Mezsaros)--but I can't imagine the Flyers surrendering three roster players.

They might do that if they can persuade Suter to change his mind.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:38 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

Well that would make sense although it's scary to think who has to go the other way but again Couturier has to stay! I would also miss Jake...JVR I can live with losing especially for Weber.

I suspect Schenn goes, our pick and a batch of future number 1 picks again like with Pronger. To win a cup you need an anchor like Weber back there no doubt..the impact Pronger had in his initial year kind of proves that.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:39 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:

I'd give up essentially any player on the roster for Shea Weber, really only taking Giroux off the Table. If they want JVR + Couturier, they can have them. If they want JVR + Schenn, they are theirs. Any other D-man out there, I would not give up that much for, but if Shea Weber could be wearing an Orange and Black jersey come September, I'd give Nashville pretty much whatever they wanted.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:42 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:

Probably JvR since he's already signed. I would think Nashville would want Schenn or Couturier as the other.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:42 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'd give up essentially any player on the roster for Shea Weber, really only taking Giroux off the Table. If they want JVR + Couturier, they can have them. If they want JVR + Schenn, they are theirs. Any other D-man out there, I would not give up that much for, but if Shea Weber could be wearing an Orange and Black jersey come September, I'd give Nashville pretty much whatever they wanted.
I still doubt that Couturier is going anywhere ..even for Weber. Flyers ..particularly Snider are way too enamored with him and rightfully so. Snider probably gave orders not to let him go regardless......that's how he operates as we have learned.

Closed Thread