HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Other Games Around The League: Stanley Cup Playoffs Edition Part V

Old
06-12-2012, 04:32 PM
gonegonegone*

vCash: 500
kings are built to win now and in the future. they have one pressing ufa (stoll) and SIXTEEN million in cap space. if they spend to the cap, they could realistically sign both parise and suter. they are also super young, with no aging superstars on that team unlike us, nucks, and detroit. if dl can spend to cap, he can assemble a team that will dominate the west for the next 4 years.

sharks on the other hand have 3 aging superstars including a 36 year old boyle. our window closes in 2014, and we are already in decline mode. as much as one can hope, our time has passed and the kings will outclass us badly next season if they can convince a parise or suter to sign with them. there is just no denying that the future looks bleak for us (and detroit too for that matter).

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Eighth Fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
And our March loss was one of our worst games of the season, you talk about not really trying. Shutouts happen, a 0-2 loss is hardly uncompetitive. Yes, we beat them squarely this season. We simply are not outclassed by them like most other teams showed they were. That's because contrary to popular belief, our roster is freakin' good.
There is a difference in not trying because the game is literally meaningless (game 82) and playing like absolute horse crap when you're coming down the stretch and things really matter (our March loss). That should be an indicator of the difference between these two teams.

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighth Fret View Post
There is a difference in not trying because the game is literally meaningless (game 82) and playing like absolute horse crap when you're coming down the stretch and things really matter (our March loss). That should be an indicator of the difference between these two teams.
By the way, I don't buy that they weren't trying in game 82. That's a myth. A playoff position was still on the line. And perhaps you forget what happened in the game just before.

No 8th seed had ever won the Cup. I guarantee you the Kings did not want the 8th seed.

Last edited by Phu: 06-12-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Eighth Fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
By the way, I don't buy that they weren't trying in game 82. That's a myth. A playoff position was still on the line. And perhaps you forget what happened in the game just before.

No 8th seed had ever won the Cup. I guarantee you the Kings did not want the 8th seed.
Don't buy into the 8th seed BS. All they cared about was making it into the playoffs and winning the division, if possible.

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:11 PM
LeeIFBB
Teflon Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
kings are built to win now and in the future. they have one pressing ufa (stoll) and SIXTEEN million in cap space. if they spend to the cap, they could realistically sign both parise and suter. they are also super young, with no aging superstars on that team unlike us, nucks, and detroit. if dl can spend to cap, he can assemble a team that will dominate the west for the next 4 years.
Ugh. Yeah, their payroll situation is aggravating.

LeeIFBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Now everyone is going to want Sutter/Lombardi back.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Iron Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIFBB View Post
Ugh. Yeah, their payroll situation is aggravating.
Agreed, they have a pretty set roster for next year and are going to be able to ride Quick's cheap contract for another run until 2013-2014 when they'll have to make a few decisions, but nothing too stressful. Quick is going to be due for a massive raise and will likely command at least Rinne type money.

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:45 PM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Now everyone is going to want Sutter/Lombardi back.
take a look at their team and contracts vs ours. it's depressing as ****. DL wasn't that great here but he is doing a fantastic job with the kings. only a total homer wouldn't trade our entire roster for theirs. man if DL can spend to cap, then they could field a team that looks like:

kopitar parise williams
richards carter brown
lewis gagne stoll
richardson clifford whocares

suter doughty
willie greene
amart scuderi

quick
bernier

i am so jealous of that team right now. cup win and bright future... while we are cupless and are in aging/decline mode. we are one of a small handful of teams never to even see the finals! so depressing!!!

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:52 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
take a look at their team and contracts vs ours. it's depressing as ****. DL wasn't that great here but he is doing a fantastic job with the kings. only a total homer wouldn't trade our entire roster for theirs. man if DL can spend to cap, then they could field a team that looks like:

kopitar parise williams
richards carter brown
lewis gagne stoll
richardson clifford whocares

suter doughty
willie greene
amart scuderi

quick
bernier

i am so jealous of that team right now. cup win and bright future... while we are cupless and are in aging/decline mode. we are one of a small handful of teams never to even see the finals! so depressing!!!
I should refer you to an Aesop fable....just do not know which one.

They don't have Suter or Parise yet.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Iron Chef

While I'm not on the Fire Doug bandwagon yet, I do see that one problem is that he gets too emotionally attached to players. He has a reptuation of being a "player's GM." (Unless you ask Seto).

With that being said, I think too much is being said about Lombardi being their savior. Remember, this is the same Lombardi that the media reported was on very thin ice with ownership right before the trade deadline. I think a lot of credit has to go to their players for just elevating their game and playing for each other. That's why their salary situation looks so much better, because some of their cheap talent really played beyond the expectations of their contracts.

I'll also reiterate that I think the Canucks would have beat them if they had both Sedins playing. By the time they had both of them in the lineup, it was too late. They were already in that massive hole.

But, all that said, I really do have to tip my hat to LA. They put it together when it counted. What happened before the trade deadline just feels like a separate season.

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:17 PM
LeeIFBB
Teflon Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post

You might want to refer Doug to the one about the vain Jackdaw while you're at it.

LeeIFBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:19 PM
murdock1116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
While I'm not on the Fire Doug bandwagon yet, I do see that one problem is that he gets too emotionally attached to players. He has a reptuation of being a "player's GM." (Unless you ask Seto).

With that being said, I think too much is being said about Lombardi being their savior. Remember, this is the same Lombardi that the media reported was on very thin ice with ownership right before the trade deadline. I think a lot of credit has to go to their players for just elevating their game and playing for each other. That's why their salary situation looks so much better, because some of their cheap talent really played beyond the expectations of their contracts.

But, all that said, I really do have to tip my hat to LA. They put it together when it counted. What happened before the trade deadline just feels like a separate season.
I agree.

The fact of the matter is that none of these GM's really know anything. No one can predict who is going to win the cup at the start of the season.

The fact that there have been no repeat champions in 14 years suggests that its all random.

Heck, there have only been two teams, Pitt and Detroit, to make it to the Stanley cup finals twice since the lockout.

This is either encouraging or discouraging as a Sharks fan.

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
DL has had some of the best drafting since he took over ... just sayin'

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
DL has had some of the best drafting since he took over ... just sayin'
Not that hard when you have top-5 picks. He also drafted Hickey at #4, Teubert at #13, and Lewis at #17 - hardly the best. I'll give him credit for Martinez and Simmonds though.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Kitten Mittons

Just for comparison - current NHLers:

LA:
#11 - Bernier (2006)
#17 - Lewis (2006)

#61 - Simmonds (2007)
#95 - Martinez (2007)
#109 - King (2007)

#2 - Doughty (2008)

#5 - Schenn (2009)
#35 - Clifford (2009)

SJ:
#36 - McGinn (2006)

#9 - Couture (2007)
#201 - Braun (2007)

#177 - Wingels (2008)
#186 - Demers (2008)

Now take away top-five picks and compare. They have a second liner, three third/fourth liners, and a promising dman and a goalie. We have an elite (in the future) second liner, a couple of third/fourth liners, and two promising dmen. Not that different.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
Just because the Kings won the Cup doesn't mean Lombardi is a genius or anything. If they missed the playoffs, he might have gotten fired so he went from having one foot out the door to winning the Cup. Things just broke right for the Kings. He traded a promising young rookie in Schenn and a solid player in Simmonds for a more proven product in Richards. He traded the Minus Machine JMFJ for Carter who solidified the second line. The loss of JJ didn't hurt because they had Voynov to replace him. Quick went God Mode all year. Dustin freaking Brown went from trade block to scoring machine. Quick and their defense has been great all year. You knew if they found some offense, they'd be a definite contender and that's what happened. Give DL credit for shoring up the offense but I remember threads calling for the firing of DL and TM when the Kings were struggling.

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:59 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
the kings are lucky they signed the majority of there core, before they actually started to become the stars they are today.

and they got richards and carter after they signed life time deals that lowered the cap hit by lots.

and the fact quick wasn't quick when he signed his last contract.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:49 PM
Winky

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post

Don't count your chickens before they hatch ... I have the book upstairs

Winky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:03 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Just for comparison - current NHLers:

LA:
#11 - Bernier (2006)
#17 - Lewis (2006)

#61 - Simmonds (2007)
#95 - Martinez (2007)
#109 - King (2007)

#2 - Doughty (2008)

#5 - Schenn (2009)
#35 - Clifford (2009)

SJ:
#36 - McGinn (2006)

#9 - Couture (2007)
#201 - Braun (2007)

#177 - Wingels (2008)
#186 - Demers (2008)

Now take away top-five picks and compare. They have a second liner, three third/fourth liners, and a promising dman and a goalie. We have an elite (in the future) second liner, a couple of third/fourth liners, and two promising dmen. Not that different.
For the Kings you are missing:

Jordan Nolan #186 (2009)
Slava Voynov #32 (2008)

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:35 AM
What a joke NHL
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksFan1 View Post
I think it is more like a rule of thumb and not an official rule.
Oficcial rule is up to ref if its major or minor. Game misconduct if player is injured

What a joke NHL is offline   Reply With Quote