HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Warm-up stretches?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2012, 01:46 PM
  #1
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 50,976
vCash: 1020
Warm-up stretches?

Do you stretch during the pre-game warmup? What are the best stretches?

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:54 PM
  #2
esidebill
Registered User
 
esidebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
I usually don't stretch at all. But if I had to, I'd stretch my Quads/Groin/Hamstrings and Abs. Your groin you can do by touching your two feet together in front of you and pushing down on the knees in a slow, steady, non-bouncing motion. Quads, grab your foot standing up, pull it behind you a bit. Hamstrings you can either lay on the floor and use a resistance band to pull your leg towards you, or just touch your toes.

I recommend stretching only shortly, as too much stretching can weaken your muscles a bit.

*I've done these on the ice, I wouldn't recommend the band part

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 02:29 PM
  #3
Wildturkey12
Do It!
 
Wildturkey12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: L.A.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,396
vCash: 500
I used to do the typical stretches you see all of the guys doing on the ice before games and I used to always have to deal with sore groins and hamstrings.

I learned from a coach about dynamic stretches and I havent had a problem since. When I get on the ice I skate a few laps, spin the stick around in one arm and then go to the other. Then while still skating, I bend over and put my stick at the front of my skates, hold it for a bit and then do it towards the back of my skates. After that I put the stick above my shoulders and rotate a bit and then the same with my behind my back. I will usually finish it off with a few outside and inside edge drills and then I am ready to rock.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 02:36 PM
  #4
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 50,976
vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
I used to do the typical stretches you see all of the guys doing on the ice before games and I used to always have to deal with sore groins and hamstrings.

I learned from a coach about dynamic stretches and I havent had a problem since. When I get on the ice I skate a few laps, spin the stick around in one arm and then go to the other. Then while still skating, I bend over and put my stick at the front of my skates, hold it for a bit and then do it towards the back of my skates. After that I put the stick above my shoulders and rotate a bit and then the same with my behind my back. I will usually finish it off with a few outside and inside edge drills and then I am ready to rock.

It's funny you say that, we use the exact same sequence of warmup drills in my practices. I never knew the rationale behind it before. Think I'll give it a shot before my next game.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:23 AM
  #5
izzy3
Registered User
 
izzy3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
I had the "luck" to start with a coach who made us stretch like crazy, 10-15 mins before practice. I was hurting all the time, until another coach, a chiro in his dayjob told me that research showed static streching BEFORE is actually detrimental to performance. I did not stretch once ever since, and I am injury free, almost always the quickest guy on the ice.

I'll do a few easy laps, doing crossovers, forwards-backwards, some edge drills, then start doing tight turns / short sprints / stops. Good to go. If I feel tight I'd do a few legswings (back-forth) while gliding on one skate and maybe some hip stretching also while skating (the one Laura Stamm suggest, ya know).

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:35 AM
  #6
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 15,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
I used to do the typical stretches you see all of the guys doing on the ice before games and I used to always have to deal with sore groins and hamstrings.

I learned from a coach about dynamic stretches and I havent had a problem since. When I get on the ice I skate a few laps, spin the stick around in one arm and then go to the other. Then while still skating, I bend over and put my stick at the front of my skates, hold it for a bit and then do it towards the back of my skates. After that I put the stick above my shoulders and rotate a bit and then the same with my behind my back. I will usually finish it off with a few outside and inside edge drills and then I am ready to rock.
The best dynamic stretches are with foam rollers.

I never have injury problems due to pulled muscles etc because I do 20 minutes of foam rolling before I play. Its simple and very effective.

Ditch the static stretching.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:06 AM
  #7
Stories
Science!
 
Stories's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
The best dynamic stretches are with foam rollers.

I never have injury problems due to pulled muscles etc because I do 20 minutes of foam rolling before I play. Its simple and very effective.

Ditch the static stretching.
Agreed, if I can't dynamic stretch, I don't stretch at all. I've found far less muscle soreness this way.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:43 AM
  #8
evengodlovesthecbj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pickerington
Country: Ireland
Posts: 210
vCash: 500
Sorry, but what are foam rollers?
I'm a 40 yr old who just started playing. I stretch before leaving my house, especically my lower back as it tends to seize up on me. Once I get to the rink I do some lower body stretching and stretch the back one more time before taking the ice.
This keeps me "limber" and allows me the short warm up time to skate and take a shot or two. Maybe go to center ice along the boards and stretch the groin for a second or two.
Maybe its age, but stretching makes the following morning much more tolerable!

evengodlovesthecbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:00 AM
  #9
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou
 
Axman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy3 View Post
I had the "luck" to start with a coach who made us stretch like crazy, 10-15 mins before practice. I was hurting all the time, until another coach, a chiro in his dayjob told me that research showed static streching BEFORE is actually detrimental to performance. I did not stretch once ever since, and I am injury free, almost always the quickest guy on the ice.

I'll do a few easy laps, doing crossovers, forwards-backwards, some edge drills, then start doing tight turns / short sprints / stops. Good to go. If I feel tight I'd do a few legswings (back-forth) while gliding on one skate and maybe some hip stretching also while skating (the one Laura Stamm suggest, ya know).
This was my experience as well; I used to take hot shower to loosen up before a game and then stretch. Someone told me otherwise and now I just do a couple laps beforehand and I'm good.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:11 AM
  #10
JJ Johnson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
Great thread guys!

Yes, Static Stretching before the game has an inhibitory effect on your nervous system (reducing your power, speed, explosiveness)... that effect lasts for about 4hrs.

BUT, that's just for "healthy players"... some injured players respond very well to static stretching before competition - for some it's the only form of flexibility that will give them greater suppleness in their tissues and greater range of motion with their joints. Yes, the "nervous system" still gets inhibited, but that's not their limiting factor,,, their limiting factor is their injured tissue... so in some cases it IS a good idea.

Generally speaking though, anything that will get your heart rate up and blood flowing, and movements that will take your joints/limbs through a full range of motion.

Be sure to do either some "explosive" stuff at the tail end of your warm up (either some jumps, explosive starts, etc...) or some drill(s) that demand lots of coordination (like passing & shooting drills on the ice, agility ladder, etc...).

And no, it's not so much about "being a hero" even if you're playing in Men's league, it's just about taking care of your body so you don't get hurt and can enjoy the best game on the planet and play well too, of course!

JJ Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 04:24 PM
  #11
Ozolinsh_27
Registered User
 
Ozolinsh_27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 551
vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by evengodlovesthecbj View Post
Sorry, but what are foam rollers?
Its a firm piece of foam rounded off so you can roll your body or various parts over it to do a self massage. Its amazing. I use it to get the knots out of my upper back and its great filler if you don't want to get a real massage.

I play rec hockey so I experimented over the winter with a post game ritual of: a 25g whey protein isolate shake (taken within 20-30 mins post game), 5g fish oil, magnesium citrate supplement, and 5-10 mins of foam rolling. The next day I could barely tell I played a game the previous night aside from maybe a slight stretching feeling in my legs while my teammates were complaining about their entire body being sore for days afterward.

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.