HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft (All NON-Ranger Prospect Discussion Thread - Part II)

Old
06-13-2012, 03:41 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

vCash: 500
well truth be known, its forsberg that is the best of the bergs.

though hes not dropping to us.

im in the minority here i guess as i like aberg better than collberg. collberg no doubt has world class skills and wheels but he needs to develop his frame. i love his offensive ability and his play at the wjc was at times breathtaking but his lack of results in the sel against bigger stronger players tells me he needs to add alot of strength.

while collberg is very slight, aberg has a solid, almost stocky build. 5'11 and almost 193 lbs is a pro type body. he plays with an edge too which i think makes him the better overall prospect. with his sniping ability, wheels and 2 way game, hes the berg i would draft.

truth be known either would make me very happy.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 04:17 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Aberg is very solid, but IMO Collberg is the better overall athlete.

I really like the fact that Collberg is very conditioned athlete with dynamic physical aspects, where as Aberg is more stiff and straightforward.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

I picked Andry Vasilevskiy in HF's mock draft--both Collberg and Aberg were gone, as was Koekoek, who is an interesting prospect, who might fall into the 20s. I will write more about all this in my draft preview, but I believe that Vasilevskiy is the best goalie available in the draft this year.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ff-mock-draft/

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 06:44 PM
eco's bones

I was wondering actually about Subban--who lists Lundqvist and the Rangers as favorites and who probably projects to be in the NHL sooner than Vasilevski--so one thing I'd wonder is how clear cut is Vasilevski's game over Subban's. Vasilevski apparently is a physical beast and did great at the combine. Subban seemed to do really well also and whereas the Russian has a larger frame--maybe he's more technical the other seems a more flexible Richter-esque type.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I was wondering actually about Subban--who lists Lundqvist and the Rangers as favorites and who probably projects to be in the NHL sooner than Vasilevski--so one thing I'd wonder is how clear cut is Vasilevski's game over Subban's. Vasilevski apparently is a physical beast and did great at the combine. Subban seemed to do really well also and whereas the Russian has a larger frame--maybe he's more technical the other seems a more flexible Richter-esque type.
I have the feeling that the Rangers are more interested in Vasilevskiy (which is how the NHL is spelling his name). Subban probably will be ready earlier, which may not be good for the Rangers. I also got the feeling from talking to him that Subban would not be patient waiting around for an opportunity. He might be better off being picked by a team that needs a goaltender in 3-5 years.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 07:03 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Both tenders are talented. AV is a man among boys and already shows the maturity to go with it. Subban is still young and a bit erratic.

IMO AV is a top flight prospect, I've rarely seen a goalie that age that can follow the puck the way he does. Great concentration to go with flashy skills and a strong massive frame.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:36 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
I picked Andry Vasilevskiy in HF's mock draft--both Collberg and Aberg were gone, as was Koekoek, who is an interesting prospect, who might fall into the 20s. I will write more about all this in my draft preview, but I believe that Vasilevskiy is the best goalie available in the draft this year.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ff-mock-draft/
I agree but do the Rangers take that chance or do they know because their russian scout says he would come over here?

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:45 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Both tenders are talented. AV is a man among boys and already shows the maturity to go with it. Subban is still young and a bit erratic.

IMO AV is a top flight prospect, I've rarely seen a goalie that age that can follow the puck the way he does. Great concentration to go with flashy skills and a strong massive frame.
Any chance the rangers take a goalie that columbus is high on for 'trade bait'?

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:52 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflepadsave View Post
As we've seen repeatedly, goalies don't generally get you much value as far as trades are concerned. I hope we don't waste a 1st or 2nd round selection on a player who will likely never be a starting goalie on the Rangers.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:40 AM
eco's bones

Rangers don't tend to draft any player high just to turn around and trade them and they really nurture their first round picks. If Vasilevskiy or even Subban is the pick because they think he's the best player then so be it. The Rangers do have a depth problem as far as goal and getting a successor to Henrik in place is not a bad idea for an iffy draft. Keeping in mind as well we're not talking a top ten pick--we're talking tail end of the first round. The main thing is the guy becomes a good NHL player not necessarily what his position is.

If both goalies plus Dansk are still on board trading down to a team with multiple second round picks might be another way to go. Montreal--for instance--takes the 28 and we pick up an extra 2nd rounder and pick up a goalie that way.

Old
06-14-2012, 03:47 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Rangers don't tend to draft any player high just to turn around and trade them and they really nurture their first round picks. If Vasilevskiy or even Subban is the pick because they think he's the best player then so be it. The Rangers do have a depth problem as far as goal and getting a successor to Henrik in place is not a bad idea for an iffy draft. Keeping in mind as well we're not talking a top ten pick--we're talking tail end of the first round. The main thing is the guy becomes a good NHL player not necessarily what his position is.

If both goalies plus Dansk are still on board trading down to a team with multiple second round picks might be another way to go. Montreal--for instance--takes the 28 and we pick up an extra 2nd rounder and pick up a goalie that way.
Agreed, i would be very much for this. 3 2nd rounders would be a very good option imo. One goalie, and a couple of hit or miss fwds. That would be the beat theoretical way to go. But I do not think Gordie wants this? We shall see...

BBKers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 05:20 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

The question for Leslie and others of course is, where is Vasilevskiy committed to playing the next few years? If it's definitely the KHL, I don't see the Rangers using a first rounder on him.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 05:47 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Don Maloney was on NHL tonight last night. They have #27. He said they will either trade the pick for immediate help,trade up,trade down or stay at #27. He said its a strong draft for D. They want a forward and have targeted 3 or 4 forwards who might be at their pick.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 05:54 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Don Maloney was on NHL tonight last night. They have #27. He said they will either trade the pick for immediate help,trade up,trade down or stay at #27. He said its a strong draft for D. They want a forward and have targeted 3 or 4 forwards who might be at their pick.
Hahahaha. I love Don's statement on his strategy. "Well, I won't beat around the bush with ya, Mr. Interviewer - of all the possible options with our pick, we'll do one of 'em."

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 06:59 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Really going out on a limb there, Baloney.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:40 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflepadsave View Post
Not now, but eventually. You may not get a great player straight up for an up and coming goalie, but as part of a package its totally possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Agreed, i would be very much for this. 3 2nd rounders would be a very good option imo. One goalie, and a couple of hit or miss fwds. That would be the beat theoretical way to go. But I do not think Gordie wants this? We shall see...
Quote:

I say it before every draft - Sather has never traded down in the first round. Maybe that means he's due, but I don't see it. They have shown in the last few drafts that when they like someone they go after him.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:46 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Okay, so let me get this straight - Maloney will either trade up, trade down, trade the pick, or keep the pick and even though he admits its a defense heavy draft, he's looking at FOUR(!!!!) forwards for the #27 pick.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:20 AM
NYR Viper

I don't think I would be overly upset with Vasilevskiy in the late 1st.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:36 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I can see why people would be upset about it, but he's the best goalie in the draft and we're pretty barren in that department. We've been trying to find a future #1 in the bargain bin for a few years now with no success. Stajcer is an overager in the CHL and lost his starting job to Binnington. Talbot and Johnson are up and down. Missiaen is really the only one with a possible NHL future, IMO, and that's as a backup.

The thing I really like about Vasilevskiy is his maturity and composure. He doesn't get rattled. Subban can fly off the hinges just like his brother. Subban is flashy and athletic, but I'm not sure if he has the mental fortitude to be a top starter in the NHL.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:38 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

honestly, taking a russian keeper in the first round would be unwise.

first, we'll hear the typical anti-russian "yeah he wont ever play here" stuff (which i do not buy) and second, i dont like drafting goalies that high. ever.

this draft has some excellent value available around the time we will step to the podium and that value is in forwards and dmen. not netminders.

taking a russian keeper with our #1 pick, or any keeper for that matter, would be suspect.

i will say this however, this specific russian is very good. his quick hybrid style and size make for an interesting prospect.

him being russian does not faze me one bit. taking him in round 1 does.

Last edited by offdacrossbar: 06-14-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old
06-14-2012, 08:41 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Not now, but eventually. You may not get a great player straight up for an up and coming goalie, but as part of a package its totally possible.

I say it before every draft - Sather has never traded down in the first round. Maybe that means he's due, but I don't see it. They have shown in the last few drafts that when they like someone they go after him.
I can't remember him trading a first for seconds but he hasn't picked this late in the first round either.

If Glen (or Clark) have 5 or 6 guys more or less rated even at 28--at least one of those guys is still going to be around if we're picking at 33. If it's the Rangers idea to go for a goalie and they really like Vasilevskiy a lot more than Subban then I can see holding on to 28. If it's close and Dansk is still around then it's very likely--though not a sure thing that at least one of those three will be there at 33.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:49 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

first, we'll here the typical anti-russian "yeah he wont ever play here" stuff (which i do not buy) and second, i dont like drafting goalies that high. ever.

this draft has some excellent value available around the time we will step to the podium and that value is in forwards and dmen. not netminders.

taking a russian keeper with our #1 pick, or any keeper for that matter, would be suspect.

i will say this however, this specific russian is very good. his quick hybrid style and size make for an interesting prospect.

The question is how good Vasilevskiy is now and how good he will become. If one day he's an all-star goalie it's a great pick especially if the forwards and d-men drafted around that spot are 2nd, 3rd liners or busts. It also addresses a team need--organizational goaltending depth.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:55 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
The question is how good Vasilevskiy is now and how good he will become. If one day he's an all-star goalie it's a great pick especially if the forwards and d-men drafted around that spot are 2nd, 3rd liners or busts. It also addresses a team need--organizational goaltending depth.
i dont draft goalies in round 1.

and i would be beyond shocked if we drafted a russian in round 1, goalie or otherwise.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:31 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
The question for Leslie and others of course is, where is Vasilevskiy committed to playing the next few years? If it's definitely the KHL, I don't see the Rangers using a first rounder on him.
Having him incubate in the KHL wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. It's not like he'd has to be ready from day 1. You let him develop overseas, maybe you run less of a flight risk. He comes over when he's mature and ready.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:32 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Depends on who is available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I can see why people would be upset about it, but he's the best goalie in the draft and we're pretty barren in that department. We've been trying to find a future #1 in the bargain bin for a few years now with no success. Stajcer is an overager in the CHL and lost his starting job to Binnington. Talbot and Johnson are up and down. Missiaen is really the only one with a possible NHL future, IMO, and that's as a backup.

The thing I really like about Vasilevskiy is his maturity and composure. He doesn't get rattled. Subban can fly off the hinges just like his brother. Subban is flashy and athletic, but I'm not sure if he has the mental fortitude to be a top starter in the NHL.
Well said.

Quote:

first, we'll hear the typical anti-russian "yeah he wont ever play here" stuff (which i do not buy) and second, i dont like drafting goalies that high. ever.

I don't like goalies too high, they are almost always overrated and good players are passed up. But late in a not so fantastic first round? Seems like good a time as any, and how could you forget that Mike Richter was taken #28 in 85

The Russian factor is silly, you and I are big fans of Russian players and know that the 'he wont come over' is nothing but a fallacy.

'Depends on whos there' is my motto this draft

Quote:
I can't remember him trading a first for seconds but he hasn't picked this late in the first round either.

If Glen (or Clark) have 5 or 6 guys more or less rated even at 28--at least one of those guys is still going to be around if we're picking at 33. If it's the Rangers idea to go for a goalie and they really like Vasilevskiy a lot more than Subban then I can see holding on to 28. If it's close and Dansk is still around then it's very likely--though not a sure thing that at least one of those three will be there at 33.
But thats not very 'Lion' is it?

I would love to pick up another 2nd rounder, hell, every year I would love to, 2nd round has been so kind to us.

Quote:
Good teams have depth at every position. Quick, Thomas, Luongo, Rinne have all had solid backups and the teams they play for have benefited greatly.

Quote:
i dont draft goalies in round 1.

and i would be beyond shocked if we drafted a russian in round 1, goalie or otherwise.
Depends on the Russian. Obviously they have not liked some of the other Russian players at spots we've drafted, but Anisimov was a great 2nd round pick cause he had great value at our slot. I think the timing is always crucial, never say never.