HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ditched the visor(I think for good)

Old
06-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I've never had an issue with seeing out of a cage. You're not looking AT the bars, you're looking through them.
It's not the bars that are the problem, its the chinguard when the puck is in my skates I cant deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperworkNinja View Post
Like mirrored visors, you can still get on other people's nerves with a cage for some strange reason. I wonder if it's possible to go with a flat black or white on the inside and a late-80s-early-90s mirrored iridium finish on the outside, like the original Oakley sunglasses? Or would that be a troll move/asking for trouble?
I have no problem with a guy wearing a cage, but it really pisses me off when the guy is running around highsticking and being an idiot wearing one. Just because you have one on, doesn't mean you can be reckless with it.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
It's not the bars that are the problem, its the chinguard when the puck is in my skates I cant deal with.

Yeah, I remember hating the cage for peripheral vision and losing the puck in my feet. I'm hoping the fact that I've improved a lot as a player in the last 6 years since I last wore one will mean those things won't bother me as much.

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:17 PM
TJD

I ran into the issue of going from no cage (coaching) to cage for rec league and the adjustment of a few minutes to get used to the peripheral vision with the bars.

I wore a visor for 5 years (rec) and took 3 errant high sticks, elbows, and a couple pucks to the face. Worst was getting some stitches in the lip. At the end of the day though, it's not worth the risk of forking over a couple grand here in the states to get dental work done (teammate just had this done).

While I loved wearing the visor, there are too many irresponsible skaters on the ice and in the end, I will be the one dealing with their mistakes.

TJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:44 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
That too. Wore a visor for a few months and the whole time it was foggy. A nice Oakley too. I had it so I could flip it up when I was on the bench to clear it but man it sucked. Tried the spray and baby shampoo and still foggy. I just breathe a lot maybe.
the visor is too close to your nose.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:56 AM
PaperworkNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post

I have no problem with a guy wearing a cage, but it really pisses me off when the guy is running around highsticking and being an idiot wearing one. Just because you have one on, doesn't mean you can be reckless with it.
Right there is the truth. A lot of high-sticking comes from new players like me, most of whom wear cages since it seems like a good idea from a safety standpoint. For us older beginners, "watch your stick, keep it on the ice" usually works. For the younger ones... they may not get it until someone slashes the stick out of their hands.

PaperworkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:00 AM
TUCKER 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperworkNinja View Post
Right there is the truth. A lot of high-sticking comes from new players like me, most of whom wear cages since it seems like a good idea from a safety standpoint. For us older beginners, "watch your stick, keep it on the ice" usually works. For the younger ones... they may not get it until someone slashes the stick out of their hands.
I wonder if all newbies had to wear a visor would they be more mindful of their stick play?

Maybe that's not fair to say, my buddy (with visor) took a stick near his eye from one of our other buddys (no face protection) who was probably the most skilled player on the ice at the time.

TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Pierre Gotye

Cages are virtually indestructible, they'll last forever so long as you don't take a Zdeno Chara slapshot off it.

They don't fog up, they don't scratch, blurring your vision. The save your face and choppers from a bad injury. You don't have to shell out big $$ to replace them every few weeks/months.

It was an adjustment, but it wasn't that bad of an adjustment.

I really didn't notice the difference too much.

For those of you considering, do go with a gray cage though.

For those asking, I have an older Mission Intake helmet.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
it's a shame you're not trying to go pro any more, brian burke is always looking for free wallets
LOL, I would make Brayden Irwin look like Crosby.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:47 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
Cages are virtually indestructible, they'll last forever so long as you don't take a Zdeno Chara slapshot off it.

They don't fog up, they don't scratch, blurring your vision. The save your face and choppers from a bad injury. You don't have to shell out big $$ to replace them every few weeks/months.

It was an adjustment, but it wasn't that bad of an adjustment.

I really didn't notice the difference too much.

For those of you considering, do go with a gray cage though.

For those asking, I have an older Mission Intake helmet.
I had a cage bend right in half in my bag somehow.. luckily it was my old helmet that I only had in case of emergency but still. Was under 10 years old for sure

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:17 AM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKER 06 View Post
I wonder if all newbies had to wear a visor would they be more mindful of their stick play?

Maybe that's not fair to say, my buddy (with visor) took a stick near his eye from one of our other buddys (no face protection) who was probably the most skilled player on the ice at the time.
I wear a visor. I've gotten caught in the chin by a new guy with a cage and I've also gotten caught in the temple by an amazing player with no cage/visor. Sure, skilled players are more mindful (and generally keep their sticks down since there's no real reason to have your blade up high) but if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:07 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Yeah that's my experience. Maybe some people's eyes work differently. I never notice the bars, ever. But I also don't wear glasses if that makes a difference.
When you're starting off you notice them but after a while you just begin to tune them out. I have a helmet w/o face protection that I use for pond hockey and the visibility is awesome. Having the cage doesn't bother me in a full equipment game and on the pond it feels like an enhancement.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:14 PM
Banana Sandwiches

I don't think I could ever wear a visor. Unless they've gotten dramatically better over the years, I think the finger prints, smudging, and clouding would piss the crap out of me.

I'm a full cage kinda guy right now and I plan on sticking with that.

To be honest, I'd rather go with no visor (just a regular helmet with no face protection, just like the pros!) before ever wearing a visor.

Banana Sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:21 PM
JaeTM

I'm a cage guy as well and I don't think I'll ever make the switch to a visor simply because of the possible facial injuries that have been expressed in this thread.

I have however, used one of the half visor, half cage helmets and that was pretty cool. It fogged up a lot though and I just wasn't a big fan of having to take care of all that stuff while I was playing. After that, I went back to the cage.

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:23 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by 27Niedermayer View Post
Unless they've gotten dramatically better over the years, I think the finger prints, smudging, and clouding would piss the crap out of me.
I have a HejdukSport visor (year old or so) and I never have any problems with it. It fogs up occasionally when I'm huffing and puffing on the bench but as soon as you hop over the boards it clears up. I think the act of standing up is enough to clear it, haha. As for finger prints and smudges, really easy, don't grab the visor. The rare occasion that I get a fingerprint or sweat or whatever on it I have a cloth handy and just buff it out.

Edit: I should note it has the anti-fog coating on the inside of the visor as well as it came with a cleaning solution. I think those two together really do a great job at keeping fog away. I imagine a plain, cheap visor would have fogging problems still.

Last edited by kr580: 06-16-2012 at 10:40 PM.
kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:45 AM
Stickmata

Well I experienced the good and bad all in one night last night. I decided at the last minute to wear my cage instead of the visor. The good: took a nasty cross check/slash right in the mouth in front of the net that would have absolutely cleaned out my front teeth if I had only a visor on. The bad: later in the game I got drilled coming across the blue line by a guy that I never saw coming and I'm sitting at home today with a mild concussion. Came at me from the side where the cage kills my peripheral vision and I never saw him until I was on my ass and he was on his way to the penalty box. That's why I freaking hate the cage, but I think I'm still gonna go with it from now on.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Well I experienced the good and bad all in one night last night. I decided at the last minute to wear my cage instead of the visor. The good: took a nasty cross check/slash right in the mouth in front of the net that would have absolutely cleaned out my front teeth if I had only a visor on. The bad: later in the game I got drilled coming across the blue line by a guy that I never saw coming and I'm sitting at home today with a mild concussion. Came at me from the side where the cage kills my peripheral vision and I never saw him until I was on my ass and he was on his way to the penalty box. That's why I freaking hate the cage, but I think I'm still gonna go with it from now on.
ouch. Hope you took his number for next time. Feel better. I still love the freedom of the half shield; I guess you can liken it to bikers who ride without a helmet even though they know the risks.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yikes, hope you get better soon.

Cages do have a shelf life. They will rust out from the moisture and that's what can cause them to bend/crack/etc. Try and check your helmet, cage, and screws every month or two.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:38 PM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

I know a guy who took his cage off on his 18th birthday, and took a slapper to the mouth. Talk about bad luck....

O23L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:18 PM
the watcher

finally decided to make the jump to a cage. Any recomendations? I tried a cage 2 years ago and took it off half a game later because i couldn't see it. So i would really like a cage that is barely noticable

the watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:27 PM
LordsCup*

I get high sticked ALL the time and take pucks to my cage.

Im 5'9 so im not extremely tiny or anything but I do play low to the ice with the puck which is probably why i get quite a few high sticks.

I can't imagine what my face/teeth would look like right now without a cage. I really think people who dont play with a cage are idiots.

LordsCup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Bauer 9900. Might be on clearance some places as I think it's getting discontinued (at least I didn't see it in the latest catalog).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:28 PM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
I've played with my cage a few times now, still not a big fan.

I find when I pick up the puck on a bounce or a pass or whatever, the part where my eyes/head move from puck to the situation in front of me is a little bit delayed. There's something about the bars that just throws me off, I fanned horribly on a tap-in that I'm pretty sure I would have had with a visor on.

Eh, I'm sure someday I'll be very thankful for it....

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote