HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

The All Things Parise Thread (Part III)

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 12:31 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Probably the same as a reverse vampire. Someone who is immune to sunlight and has a reflection.
I guess I'm a reverse vampire then. I don't sunburn, and I have a reflection.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:34 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
lol - sign Marty to a $2M contract with a wink/nod and then pay him $4M a year to be the goalie coach after he retires.
And the NHLPA can take a hike if they don't like it. What can they do to Marty, anyway?

Old
06-14-2012, 12:36 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Personally I think Parise is cut from the same cloth as Marty and Elias. Fair money will be enough and it won't be a ransom to stay. He may even go full Marty and take the discount to field a quality team consisting of maybe a good friend on D to boost things up the next level.
I just dont see this happening, simply due to his father. J.P. Parise has said things over the course of the last 2 years that relate specifically to $$$$$. Not that it should be any of this business, but it will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackedDevilsFan View Post
Marty should just sign for the league minimum so we can surround him with an all star team

thats if he really just wants one more chance at winning the cup
The NHLPA would go ape ****. Hell, there were rumors that there was talk of potentially fighting Marty on his last contract.

Frankly, I dont think the NHL or the NHLPA would have a legal leg to stand on if a player agreed to a $1 salary like some CEOs do.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:38 AM
JackedDevilsFan*
Sign Suter&Garrison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
I just dont see this happening, simply due to his father. J.P. Parise has said things over the course of the last 2 years that relate specifically to $$$$$. Not that it should be any of this business, but it will be.

The NHLPA would go ape ****. Hell, there were rumors that there was talk of potentially fighting Marty on his last contract.

Frankly, I dont think the NHL or the NHLPA would have a legal leg to stand on if a player agreed to a $1 salary like some CEOs do.
what was wrong with Marty's last contract? Yeah if Marty signed for the league minimum for one year that would screw over all of the upcoming goalies that are set to be ufa's

Old
06-14-2012, 12:41 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackedDevilsFan View Post
what was wrong with Marty's last contract? Yeah if Marty signed for the league minimum for one year that would screw over all of the upcoming goalies that are set to be ufa's
When Brodeur signed his last contract, $5.2M was deemed way too low for him, and it was, he could have gotten $6.5M'ish for sure. Maybe more?

I dont exactly recall the sums being tossed around, just that some people were speculating the higher ups at the NHLPA might object because it could set a falsely lower near-term (back then) floor in the UFA goalie market.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:54 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
I didn't look at the video just now, but I saw the goal on Miller. Sad thing was it was a fairly stoppable goal too. Vintage Miller softy. He had actually come back from the dead by that point in the season too. Just saying when Marty gives up a goal like that this whole board goes crazy. If we're holding Miller to the same standard that was a soft/stoppable/weak goal. I don't remember if Gomez goal on Nabokov was as bad. Pretty sure he wasn't screened there either as he was watching Gomez as he shot it. One of his teammates may have slightly screened him, but I don't think so.

By the way Gomez is a backup plan should things go south with Parise.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:06 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Quote:
When Brodeur signed his last contract, $5.2M was deemed way too low for him, and it was, he could have gotten $6.5M'ish for sure. Maybe more?

I dont exactly recall the sums being tossed around, just that some people were speculating the higher ups at the NHLPA might object because it could set a falsely lower near-term (back then) floor in the UFA goalie market.
His contract had no bearing on future goalie salaries anyway.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:43 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
I realize I'm out of consensus here being I'm the only one that thinks this can be classified as tampering, but, well, it was aliens........

Look, the information come DIRECTLY from the Wild's owner, the fact that it comes to the media one step removed from the owner is for my money trivial.
It's a sneaky way of doing it, that's for sure. Have someone that 'used' to work with you, is no longer officially affiliated with the franchise but still on good terms with the higher-ups spread the word with a bullhorn that your hometown's going to write you a blank check. It would be the equivalent of Lemaire telling Sherry Ross that he talked to Lou and he plans to make Suter a ginormous offer in FA.

And like you said it torpedoes the Devils, unless Zach completely rebels against his agent/dad/whoever else wants him to leave and says no he wants to stay, work out a deal now.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:06 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

After reading BG and Saugus' posts in the last thread, I'm also of the camp of something needs to be done here aside from a slap on the wrist and a minimal fine about the Wild's underhanded nonsense. I hope Daly responds back to you BG, and that other Devil fans have written him too (he was good about answering letters during the Kovy debacle).

Old
06-14-2012, 07:21 AM
glenngineer

Quick question from a Nashville fan concerning Parise and your fan base. As we are in a similar situation with Suter and his UFA status, how panicked are all of you about Parise. Many people in Nashville feel as if Suter is gone. They have all said, if he hasn't signed by now, he's not going to. Do you feel the same way about Parise? Do you feel he's going to test free agency and then re-sign after fielding other offers? I'm curious how another fan base is dealing with a similar situation.

I feel Suter is going to field offers, weigh his options and then make a decision based on what's best for his career and family. I hope he ends up back in Nashville but I certainly don't think he's gone for sure like so many others have said.

Thanks in advance.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:26 AM
Fayne Staley
Deboer is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Quick question from a Nashville fan concerning Parise and your fan base. As we are in a similar situation with Suter and his UFA status, how panicked are all of you about Parise. Many people in Nashville feel as if Suter is gone. They have all said, if he hasn't signed by now, he's not going to. Do you feel the same way about Parise? Do you feel he's going to test free agency and then re-sign after fielding other offers? I'm curious how another fan base is dealing with a similar situation.

I feel Suter is going to field offers, weigh his options and then make a decision based on what's best for his career and family. I hope he ends up back in Nashville but I certainly don't think he's gone for sure like so many others have said.

Thanks in advance.
The comments he said yesterday are encouraging, looks like he definitely wants to stay. He keep referring to "us" and "next season" and "we". I am worried about the Wild, seems like they want to give him a blank check and let him fill it out. Then Detroit and I guess a few other teams that have the space & cash. Then we have financial issues (which seem to be heading in a good direction, but not set in stone), so who knows if can compete with what some teams are willing to offer.

Last edited by Fayne Staley: 06-14-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old
06-14-2012, 07:37 AM
CerebralGenesis

I would be much more worried if I were a Preds fan with Suter than I am with Zach. Then again, I won't be shocked by anything Zach does except for resigning before July 1st.

And Elias and Marty in the same sentence implying martyrdom makes me cringe. Like literally cringe.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:12 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
After reading BG and Saugus' posts in the last thread, I'm also of the camp of something needs to be done here aside from a slap on the wrist and a minimal fine about the Wild's underhanded nonsense. I hope Daly responds back to you BG, and that other Devil fans have written him too (he was good about answering letters during the Kovy debacle).
He was remarkable with the Kovalchuk thing in replying to fan concerns, but I dont expect an answer to my letter this time, given it's a more serious issue.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:58 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I think we might be a little calmer than Nashville might be, just because this is routine with Lou.
He never negotiates during the season and he never seems to panic when players want to test free agency. So the timing isn't the issue, the money definitely is, though.

He's indicated that New Jersey has everything he wants -- the paycheck just has to be right.

Detroit seems to be the biggest threat (this is true for both of us, I guess). They play a similar system, come with a successful track record, he respects most of their players and they can offer a bigger paycheck.

Minnesota dangling a boatload of cash is worrisome, only because of how much it's going to drive up the asking price.

For me, I'm encouraged that he wants to play here. But, Rafalski did too.
I'll remain cautiously optimistic until the ownership issues start to get settled (which should be soon).

Old
06-14-2012, 09:08 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
you guys really need to relax with the tampering stuff.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:12 AM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

I can't picture Parise not waiting until 7/1 to make his decision. I imagine that day to be a frenzy for the player, though, and irrational decisions can be made at that time, which is worrisome.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
It's a sneaky way of doing it, that's for sure. Have someone that 'used' to work with you, is no longer officially affiliated with the franchise but still on good terms with the higher-ups spread the word with a bullhorn that your hometown's going to write you a blank check. It would be the equivalent of Lemaire telling Sherry Ross that he talked to Lou and he plans to make Suter a ginormous offer in FA.

And like you said it torpedoes the Devils, unless Zach completely rebels against his agent/dad/whoever else wants him to leave and says no he wants to stay, work out a deal now.
Except we'd probably get slapped for having Lemaire do that, because he's still a special assignment coach. Maybe the better comparison is if Tremblay started running his mouth on Montreal radio. Either way, it's playing dirty.

Quote:
We're doing fine here. Parise's comments yesterday calmed us all down (because they were decidedly more definitive than "I'd like to stay if it's right"), and we're used to Lou postponing negotiations with UFAs until the season ends. That's just his policy, so I don't think any of us were expecting anything to happen on that front until we were out of the playoffs. And since Parise couldn't have signed before now, we don't have that same fear that since he hasn't yet, he won't.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:16 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
Seriously

Who cares what other organisations have to say about the subject. They are 2 weeks ahead of schedule, at worst, and what does tampering charges bring us anyways?

Zach isn't signing with us before july 1st regardless, so let Minny, Detroit or any other team for that matter spread the word that they are interested in the best forward available in this summers crop, it's not like they are shocking the world by coming out with those allegations.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:17 AM
manilaNJ

Quote:
It's a blatantly ****** move and Zach's agent would be an idiot not to use it as leverage. I think, as a fanbase, we have every right to be pissed about it.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:20 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
It's a blatantly ****** move and Zach's agent would be an idiot not to use it as leverage. I think, as a fanbase, we have every right to be pissed about it.
Everyone knows teams are going to go balls out to sign him. This is no secret.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
the guy does not work for the Wild. he has the right to state his opinion

Old
06-14-2012, 09:25 AM
NJDevils1

What if Lou talks with Parise and tells him we're going to trade you're negotiating rights, but DON'T sign with them Zach. Then come back and sign with us on 7/1 and we'll trade up into the top 5 of the draft.

Not sure this makes sense or is legal, but has anything like this ever happened?

Old
06-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevils1 View Post
What if Lou talks with Parise and tells him we're going to trade you're negotiating rights, but DON'T sign with them Zach. Then come back and sign with us on 7/1 and we'll trade up into the top 5 of the draft.

Not sure this makes sense or is legal, but has anything like this ever happened?
I always wonder this but if it was documented that it definitely happened that he said that to him we would be ****ed.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:27 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PariseforPresident View Post
Saying "we have interest and we're going to make a strong offer" is a little different than saying, "we're going to give him so much money that he could own the team at the end of the contract."

To one of those statements, Parise says, "well that's nice". To the other, he gets the $ signs in his eyes like an old cartoon character, and tells Lou he's going to July 1.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:29 AM
manilaNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PariseforPresident View Post
Of course. But, it's one thing to sit down for negotiations thinking that a ton of teams are willing to pay up.
It's an entirely different thing to sit down with the full knowledge that there's a truck load of cash with your name on it.

Quote:
the guy does not work for the Wild. he has the right to state his opinion
He has the right, yes. But, he knows exactly what he's doing. He's not just having a friendly chat on the air.
I'm not crying to sic Bettman on the franchise, but I still think it's a ****** move. Because it is.

Closed Thread