HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

The All Things Parise Thread (Part III)

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 09:30 AM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
the guy does not work for the Wild. he has the right to state his opinion
It would have been different if he said, "Minnesota is probably going to offer him enough money that he could purchase the team." He stated pretty bluntly that the Wild told him directly what kind of offer they're giving him and that nobody will out-bid them. That's completely different from "stating your opinion' and I agree, Devils fans/organization has a legitimate reason to be annoyed about that and claim possible tampering.

Knowing there's another team that you probably like that really wants to sign you to a contract is one thing. Hearing on the news that the Wild directly stated they will not be outbid is another. It's probably tough to not question, "I wonder what that offer actually is..... maybe I should wait and see," and at that point, you're taking the right of exclusive negotiation away from NJD.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:30 AM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevils1 View Post
What if Lou talks with Parise and tells him we're going to trade you're negotiating rights, but DON'T sign with them Zach. Then come back and sign with us on 7/1 and we'll trade up into the top 5 of the draft.

Not sure this makes sense or is legal, but has anything like this ever happened?
No. Lou would be shunned by every GM in the league from that point on, and rightfully so.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:31 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Of course. But, it's one thing to sit down for negotiations thinking that a ton of teams are willing to pay up.
It's an entirely different thing to sit down with the full knowledge that there's a truck load of cash with your name on it.

He has the right, yes. But, he knows exactly what he's doing. He's not just having a friendly chat on the air.
I'm not crying to sic Bettman on the franchise, but I still think it's a ****** move. Because it is.
if Daneyko comes out on July 2nd and says "The Devils are going to throw a deal at Parise he cannot refuse"

we don't own his rights at that point. is that tampering?

Old
06-14-2012, 09:33 AM
HenriqueItsOver

Quote:
if Daneyko comes out on July 2nd and says "The Devils are going to throw a deal at Parise he cannot refuse"

no one can tamper as of July 1 lol. FREE agency means just that

Old
06-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevils1 View Post
What if Lou talks with Parise and tells him we're going to trade you're negotiating rights, but DON'T sign with them Zach. Then come back and sign with us on 7/1 and we'll trade up into the top 5 of the draft.

Not sure this makes sense or is legal, but has anything like this ever happened?
It's legal, but Lou doesn't trade players' rights. That would require a huge leap of faith on the part of the GM too, because there's nothing stopping the player from signing the offer he's presented.

Doesn't seem like it would be worth it to me.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:35 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:

You answered your own question.
Until July 1st, the Devils have contractual rights to Parise.
Once July 1st hits, anything goes.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:35 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Anyone who thinks Parise might sign with us before july 1st aren't paying any attention. The guy has a one in a lifetime shot at receiving close to 30 offers, so who in his right mind would rush into things whitout even wondering what's out there, when he's been waiting a entire year and we are 2 weeks away from a possible bidding war.

C'mon now people, let's be realistic here for a second. If we were in his shoes, we would've done the same thing.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:37 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
A) It was more than opinion
B) The Wild clearly used this guy to send a public message to Zach

And Saugus, I thought Lemaire's official contract ran out? If not, then yeah Tremblay would be a better example.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:38 AM
The Great Dame
Blame Pete

vCash: 316
Quote:
So what you're saying is that any GM can just go use anyone as a messenger and indirectly get his message to Zach Parise? If tampering is that easy to get around, why bother with the rule?

Old
06-14-2012, 09:41 AM
CerebralGenesis

Too much risk for that gamble to be worth it. The payoff is pretty marginal in comparison to the possible loss.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:49 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Of course. But, it's one thing to sit down for negotiations thinking that a ton of teams are willing to pay up.
It's an entirely different thing to sit down with the full knowledge that there's a truck load of cash with your name on it.
Exactly. And there's no way to take it back. Even if Minnesota gets censured for this, Parise can't "unhear" their offer. It's going to be in his mind now, interfering with our exclusive rights.

Quote:

No, because that's not the same situation. First of all, his rights won't be anybody's then, and Parise is our player to begin with. You can't tamper with your own player, by definition.

The analogous situation is if, say, M Koivu was going UFA this summer, and Daneyko said on the air tomorrow, "The Devils are planning to make a hefty offer to Mikko. It'll make Kovy's deal look like peanuts, and he could buy the team afterward if he wants."

You better believe Wild fans would be crying foul, and they'd be justified in doing so.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

He bleeds blue brah

Old
06-14-2012, 09:55 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

The guy was not stating his opinion. He was relaying information, and that's probably going to affect negotiations

Old
06-14-2012, 09:56 AM
glenngineer

Thanks for all the responses. It's appreciated.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Thanks for all the responses. It's appreciated.
No problem. Maybe you can help us out with our tampering discussion here too. Is it tampering when a former Minnesota GM says on a radio show that the Wild are going to make a "huge" offer to Parise as soon as they can? Even if they didn't contact him directly, it's still unfairly influencing his negotiations with his current team.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:14 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Either you haven't read up on all the particulars of this story, or you do not understand the difference between a "fact" and an "opinion" - my money is on the former.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:18 AM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
It's garbage and it's not an opinion. It's actual information that came straight from the top and directly influences negotiations should ZP's people get ahold of it (which you know they have).

Old
06-14-2012, 10:21 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

People that work inside the organization just can't be talking about other team's players and offers to anyone outside the organization, period. I don't care whether it's the media, a friend or the mailman in Boise, Idaho. Otherwise, you would never be able to prevent any team from pulling this crap.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:22 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Who cares !!!

Zach isn't signing before july 1st, period. The Rangers can say they'll throw a Richards type deal his way and I wouldn't be a tad nervous.

He'll get 30 offers in two weeks, so what teams are saying now will have no impact on our negotiations come july 1st. If the guy waited 11 months and 2 weeks... one would think that a extra 14 days is the route he's about to take.

No?

Old
06-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Devils86

If Parise wants blood from a stone he will not get it here, I think it will play out something like this. Lou makes an offer say in the 6.5/7 million range says this is it. We have always been an organization that can build an entire team. We may front load some but we are not going to go anywhere near Kovy waters again. July 1 comes, Zack gets offers. Lou restructures the contract a bit to make it closer but it still does not approach the monetary value of another contract and tells Zach. You are the Captain, the face of our franchise, we will put a very good team on the ice year in year out. Now the choice is yours, which is more important to you.

Of all the players who left via FA the only one to be really successful was Neids. I'm not counting Rafalski because he wanted to stay(had just finished building a house) and we did not make a competitive offer.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:27 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Either you haven't read up on all the particulars of this story, or you do not understand the difference between a "fact" and an "opinion" - my money is on the former.
if i went on the radio and said that the Wild GM told me something, does it mean its true?

it does not mean its true. its called "hearsay"

you guys are WAY too touchy on this subject. move on.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:28 AM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
if i went on the radio and said that the Wild GM told me something, does it mean its true?

You have no ties to the sutation.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

and neither does he. he does not work for the Wild.

Old
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:

Bingo.

I just don't understand why everyone is so upset when it's pretty evident he's going past july 1st whitout a deal in his pocket.

Old
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Who cares !!!

Zach isn't signing before july 1st, period. The Rangers can say they'll throw a Richards type deal his way and I wouldn't be a tad nervous.

He'll get 30 offers in two weeks, so what teams are saying now will have no impact on our negotiations come july 1st. If the guy waited 11 months and 2 weeks... one would think that a extra 14 days is the route he's about to take.

No?
Maybe, but Parise said it could get done before July 1, and DeBoer was quick to say he might not make UFA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils86 View Post
If Parise wants blood from a stone he will not get it here, I think it will play out something like this. Lou makes an offer say in the 6.5/7 million range says this is it. We have always been an organization that can build an entire team. We may front load some but we are not going to go anywhere near Kovy waters again. July 1 comes, Zack gets offers. Lou restructures the contract a bit to make it closer but it still does not approach the monetary value of another contract and tells Zach. You are the Captain, the face of our franchise, we will put a very good team on the ice year in year out. Now the choice is yours, which is more important to you.

Of all the players who left via FA the only one to be really successful was Neids. I'm not counting Rafalski because he wanted to stay(had just finished building a house) and we did not make a competitive offer.
Ya, there's no way we're going to make the highest offer to him. I just hope that everything he has said about wanting a winner and appreciating everything the Devils have done for him is real.

Also, there's a poster in the trade board Parise thread who doesn't believe me when I said that Parise's fiancee is a teacher in NJ and would prefer to stay. Since you actually know her, maybe you could back me up?

Closed Thread