HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jay McClement Headed to Free Agency

Old
06-14-2012, 01:02 AM
Duskog
Smugnorance is bliss

vCash: 500
If Jay wants more than 2.5 I think it's probably better he get it somewhere else. We have the cap room but for that term, it fills up our centers for (likely) the next 3 or 4 years and there are guys coming up in the system who can play a good bottom-6 game for much less money. I do really like Jay though and I was hoping he'd re-sign, he'll be a good fit just about anywhere. I think people might have slightly high expectations as far as offensive production and playmaking is concerned, but he's a top-notch defensive center who never took a game off. He'll get overpaid in FA, but only for a 4th center, and I can stand to see a good guy like him get paid a little more than he's worth.

Duskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:20 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Jay is gonna get paid lol. He's good and I love the guy, but you shouldn't pay 4th liners what he is about to get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
I would love to see him back on the Blues...But not if he gets paid like we know he will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
jeebus I was thinking Slater and Campbell money at 1.6, thats the going rate for 4th line Cs
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I'm a McClement fan and I've always been ever since he came up with the Blues, so I'm not gonna talk bad about him.

I'm just gonna point out how you have terrible reading skills, and how you assume that I don't think McClement is good at faceoffs, when I clearly said he was good, he just isn't great. If people think they are signing someone who is great at faceoffs, they will be disappointed.

On nhl.com, he is 84th amongst centers. There were some outliers, so I could see him being around 60-70th best in the league. That means he should be your 2nd best faceoff man.

He is a very good penalty killer, but he isn't a vital piece. We lost him and we still have a great penalty kill. You can find other options that can do just as good of a job for A LOT LESS.
Yup....ALL of this. Blues fans get it, I'm not sure why Avalanche fans don't.

The Avs could just sign a guy like Jeff Halpern to play limited minutes on the 4th line for half as much and the drop-off won't be that significant.

I don't care how much the salary cap goes up, it's a bad idea to start paying 4th line player that much money when those guys are always available July 1st or through trades for 3rd and 4th round picks.

People want to put McClement in the same class as Gaustad but he's been top 10 in faceoffs the past three years in the league while McClement is always just a tad over 50%.

There's a reason why you don't see 4th liners with $2M per year salaries.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:40 AM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

I'd be happy with him signing 2 years for 2 million

ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:42 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Dibsdibsdibsdibsdibsdibsdibsdibsdibs!

4 years for sure, I am guessing that extra year is as important to him as anything. 4 years 12M, as he asked for. He and Beagle can handle the bottom 6 C spots and Laich suddenly becomes much more expendable as a trade chip.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Anyone who thinks he'll sign for anything less than 2.5mil is delusional. He already has a 7.5mil over three years offer from the Avs and Dan Winnik (basically a winger version of Silent Jay) is supposedly asking for 2.5mil.

PS

This whole thread is based on an article by Adrian Dater, a guy that said Avs are only interested in bringing back O'Brien and according to him Jones was as good as gone. So much for his credibility.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Ceremony
like a collar

vCash: 18000
The Avs not re-signing him would be a catastrophic mistake.

Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDuck View Post
I'd be happy with him signing 2 years for 2 million
Not happening, rumor out of Denver is he turned down a 3 years 7.5M contract. Probably look for over 3M a year in the open market.

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:54 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Anyone who thinks he'll sign for anything less than 2.5mil is delusional. He already has a 7.5mil over three years offer from the Avs and Dan Winnik (basically a winger version of Silent Jay) is supposedly asking for 2.5mil.

PS

This whoel thread is based on an article by Adrian Dater, a guy that said Avs are only interested in bringing back O'Brien and according to him Jones was as good as gone. So much for his credibility.
Oh... Dater. Damn.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:55 AM
Elever
Hth

Other teams are willing to overpay for this guy and we gave that $ to Hunwick/McLeod

Kids, never let a businessman run your team, always make sure it's a hockey guy

Nielsen/Hanzal/Sutter all make around $3 M. Okay, he's not as good as them offensively but cap's gone up and he's becoming an FA.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Other teams are willing to overpay for this guy and we gave that $ to Hunwick/McLeod

Kids, never let a businessman run your team, always make sure it's a hockey guy

Nielsen/Hanzal/Sutter all make around $3 M. Okay, he's not as good as them offensively but cap's gone up and he's becoming an FA.
If we lose him because he wants to play a bigger role, I have nothing to hold against him, but if he walks away because of penny pinching I'm going to be really pissed off.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
Not happening, rumor out of Denver is he turned down a 3 years 7.5M contract. Probably look for over 3M a year in the open market.
Yea, I'm sure he wouldn't accept that, just saying I wouldn't want it any higher which means I wouldn't be getting McClement lol

ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Tor
det
buf
ott
Agreed.
I believe Buffalo actually.
The need for center depth in the organization has even been trumpeted publicly by GM Darcy Regier himself, stating that they are going to go after a big bodied center this off season.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:21 AM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post

PS

This whole thread is based on an article by Adrian Dater, a guy that said Avs are only interested in bringing back O'Brien and according to him Jones was as good as gone. So much for his credibility.
May 25: http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2012...ng-ufas/10691/

Quote:
The Avs are starting to ramp up talks with several unsigned players, including, my NHL sources say, with at least a couple of the team’s potential unrestricted free agents.
Those potential UFAs are: David Jones, Jay McClement, Cody McLeod, Shane O’Brien and Matt Hunwick.
Quote:
Of the UFAs, I think the Avs are definitely interested in bringing McClement back, along with O’Brien. Jones? Unclear still what’s going on there. I think the Avs want to talk and see what it would take, but I make no hard and fast predictions on him coming back right now.
June 1: http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2012...d-jones/10748/

Quote:
It was unclear before, but no longer: the Avalanche is interested in re-signing David Jones.
June 7: http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_...rado-avalanche

Quote:
The Avs signed the 27-year-old winger to a four-year, $16 million contract.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:25 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
It was unclear before, but no longer: the Avalanche is interested in re-signing David Jones.
When the guy writes in ebonics, how the hell are you supposed to know what he means. Looks like he said they wanted to resign Jones but who knows.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Falco5

He's coming to the sharks. All your Avs are belong to us.

Falco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
The Avs not re-signing him would be a catastrophic mistake.
...OF BIBLICAL PROPORTIONS!!!!

Yeah...hmm no.

Take ANY 4th liner OFF of ANY NHL team and it's not a catastrophy. It might suck, you probably prefer that guy still be there but you move on and maybe you bring in a guy who's a little less effective but you adapt and make it work.

Put it this way, if I had to choose between SIGNING Jay McClement to a $3 million dollar per year contract WITH TERM or NOT SIGNING him, I believe the former would be the catastrophic mistake.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
People are dreaming if they want him for 2mil per. The Avs would have signed him to that already based on what we've heard.

It'll be 2.5+ minimum.

He's a good 3rd line center who will make everyone's PK better, provide solid leadership and chip in 10g-20a for you along the way.
He should compare to Max Talbot. both play lots of PK, leadership and can get you 20-35 points. Talbot just got paid 1.75 per as a UFA. Talbot is 28...JM is 29. And people said Philly overpaid at the time. Jay should get 1.75-2. If it is more...than it's an overpayment.

Last edited by Tripod: 06-14-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
He should compare to Max Talbot. both play lots of PK, leadership and can get you 20-35 points. Talbot just got paid 1.75 per as a UFA. Talbot is 28...JM is 29. And people said Philly overpaid at the time. Jay should get 1.75-2. If it is more...than it's an overpayment.
No one said you wouldn't be overpaying, but I'd argue around 2.25 is the "sweet spot".

Doesn't change the fact though, he would have signed for around 2.5 by now if he wanted that.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:03 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
When the guy writes in ebonics, how the hell are you supposed to know what he means. Looks like he said they wanted to resign Jones but who knows.
You just don't know anything about prose.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Duskog
Smugnorance is bliss

Haha Adrien Dater. I wish we just had TwoPadStack as our beat writer

Duskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:08 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
The correct term is AAVE, or African-American Vernacular English.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:19 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
You just don't know anything about prose.
Shouldn't it be, "Ou aint no nottin bou pro."?

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:31 PM
dave babych returns

I've liked McClement for a long time but by the looks of it I wouldn't be happy winning a bidding war for his services - only because the Canucks already have Manny Malhotra at $2.5m.

Still, people calling him a 3rd/4th line tweener, that's a bit unfair. Most teams aren't fortunate enough to have Stastny/Duchene/O'Reilly down the middle, and this past season is the first one in a few where McClement didn't average well over 16 minutes a game.

If he can still play those minutes as well as he did with St. Louis I think a lot of teams without a great 1-2-3 set of centres would be able to make good use of his abilities.

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:41 PM
IWantSakicAsMyGM

As much as I agree with the other Avs fans that he should be resigned, I'd rather see Olver/Malone get a chance as the 4th line C than pay McClement $3m per year.

IWantSakicAsMyGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:13 PM
RyanCallahan24*

Please sign him Rangers. I've always liked him. He is great in PK and a real good guy to have on faceoffs. Just what we need!

RyanCallahan24* is offline   Reply With Quote