HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nail Yakupov General Discussion Thread Part 3: ... If Not Nail Then Who?

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 09:09 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
this maybe hard to do as the media seems almost unanimous that trading with toronto for gardner / schenn plus the 5th has some merit. Dregor, Mackenzie, Staples, Matheson and Gregor all believe trading down might be a smart move. That is a lot of smoke so there is probably a fire somewhere.

As much as I like the vids of Yakupov, if Stu, Tambo, and the smart hockey people think it is a good move, I am going to have to find some acceptance.
They probably all thought the Kessel trade was a good one too.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
They probably all thought the Kessel trade was a good one too.
I don't know of one single supporter of that trade. Everyone had reservations from day 1.

The reality is that even smart moves don't always turn out the way you hoped. The future is not as predictable as many of us seem to think. Hindsight tends to be a lot clearer.

Some of the smartest hockey minds seem to think moving down has merit. This is certainly an interesting situation and I think it is almost impossible to be open minded and have a strong opinion in this case.

The haters are going to bash Tambo for thinking about it. If he does nothing, they will call him Mr Dithers. The blind supporters will fall in line no matter what happens.

I was hoping they would draft Yakupov but that may not happen so I guess it is time to be open minded about the possibility of a risky trade.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:18 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
You're calling Gardiner unproven yet Yakupov is even more unproven.
Yes, i understand that 1st overalls usually pan out but still it's a funny argument that i see coming up from some Oiler fans.
Very true but Yakupov is can't miss and with d-men its harder to tell

Old
06-14-2012, 09:52 AM
dem

Trading Yakupov for Gardiner is like taking your paycheck to a check cashing place where theyre taking 20% off the top.

Gotta be a loser to do it.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:55 AM
oilfaninvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugNugget View Post
My understanding is that they both visited Edmonton but didn't get the Katz Dinner.
Interesting. That's awkward LOL

Old
06-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Thought I remembered Gardiner doing an end-to-end rush against the Oilers or some other team and thinking "welp, nobody on our blue line can do that"
He scored a nice goal in the AHL WCF against OKC like this. Took it end to end around 5 guys and buried it.

And Schultz is a better player on all accounts according to past coaches.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:04 AM
oilfaninvan

I choose to believe that the rumours stem from an offer TO already made EDM and that it's the same deal Tambo refers to in pressers where he says nothing has knocked his socks off yet. I think Tambo would say ok Gardiner and the 5th, THEN WHAT ELSE? He wants an NHL impact player on top of that. Toronto doesn't really have that, which is why they are picking 5th. (unless EDM wants phaneuf.. barf)

Tambo has already outlined his price tag, and none of the rumours match.

First round pick - 5th
NHL impact player - ??
Top prospect - Gardiner
Additional piece(s) - ??

Old
06-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Skm

Quote:
this maybe hard to do as the media seems almost unanimous that trading with toronto for gardner / schenn plus the 5th has some merit. Dregor, Mackenzie, Staples, Matheson and Gregor all believe trading down might be a smart move. That is a lot of smoke so there is probably a fire somewhere.

As much as I like the vids of Yakupov, if Stu, Tambo, and the smart hockey people think it is a good move, I am going to have to find some acceptance.
Out of all of the people you listed, there might be 1 or 2 "smart hockey people".

I actually got pissed off yesterday listening to Gregor discuss trading down for 5th + Schenn with Spector because they both thought it could be a good idea.

People knock Gagner all the time (and I know dmen develop slower) but Schenn is only 3 months younger and hasn't even established himself as a full time NHL'er yet.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Yes, but where's there is smoke....

And a LOT of the YEG sports media writers wont shut up about this right now...

Combined with BBO's ambiguous post the other day. I'm just not as convinced the Oilers are picking Yak right this moment as I was two weeks ago.

PROVE ME WRONG TAMBO!

Old
06-14-2012, 10:09 AM
smokersarejokers

If Gardiner is the key to getting Schultz, and the Leafs are worried about tampering charges, I don't see how Gardiner and the 5th would be a bad deal.

Future top 9 forwards (not even including Gagner)
Hall RNH Eberle
Paajarvi Grig/Gal Hemsky
Hartikainen Lander Pitlick

Gardiner J. Schultz
Smid Klefbom
Petry N. Schultz/Musil/Marincin/Teubert

That is a pretty good looking team.

That said, I don't think Burke will offer Gardiner, and the Oilers will take Yakupov and the Leafs will probably take Galchenyuk.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Trading Yakupov for Gardiner is like taking your paycheck to a check cashing place where theyre taking 20% off the top.

Gotta be a loser to do it.

LOL I know someone who did that for a couple of years!!!! WOW!!

Old
06-14-2012, 10:10 AM
Hemsky4PM

Wouldn't dealing the no.1 pick be like trading Ilya Kovalchuk/Pavel Bure for Wade Redden and Kyle McLaren?

It's such a ridiculous scenario at this point.

RNH
Hall
Eberle
Yakupov
Terrifying for other teams. Non of them is huge, but that's why you bring in some bigger bodies like Hartikainen, Pitlick or guys through trades to round out the scoring lines.

These guys will be scary on the pp and on the rush. Eventually, with a new arena and some success in the standings we'll be able to bring in some better veterans.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfaninvan View Post
I choose to believe that the rumours stem from an offer TO already made EDM and that it's the same deal Tambo refers to in pressers where he says nothing has knocked his socks off yet. I think Tambo would say ok Gardiner and the 5th, THEN WHAT ELSE? He wants an NHL impact player on top of that. Toronto doesn't really have that, which is why they are picking 5th. (unless EDM wants phaneuf.. barf)

Tambo has already outlined his price tag, and none of the rumours match.

First round pick - 5th
NHL impact player - ??
Top prospect - Gardiner
Additional piece(s) - ??

First round pick - 5th
NHL impact player - Kessel
Top prospect - Gardiner
Additional piece(s) - ??

Old
06-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Wouldn't dealing the no.1 pick be like trading Ilya Kovalchuk/Pavel Bure for Wade Redden and Kyle McLaren?

It's such a ridiculous scenario at this point.

RNH
Hall
Eberle
Yakupov
Terrifying for other teams. Non of them is huge, but that's why you bring in some bigger bodies like Hartikainen, Pitlick or guys through trades to round out the scoring lines.

These guys will be scary on the pp and on the rush. Eventually, with a new arena and some success in the standings we'll be able to bring in some better veterans.

Exactly, just like veterans go play in Pittsburgh for cheap.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:15 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post

Combined with BBO's ambiguous post the other day. I'm just not as convinced the Oilers are picking Yak right this moment as I was two weeks ago.

PROVE ME WRONG TAMBO!
Though last night I heard Dreger's comments. He didn't say that it was 100% sure that they were trading the 1st round pick. He basically said that they were open to it for sure.

Sounds like the Oilers are taking offers but I would still think it is going to take an offer that "blows their socks off"

Old
06-14-2012, 10:17 AM
Skm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe in Oil View Post
First round pick - 5th
NHL impact player - Kessel
Top prospect - Gardiner
Additional piece(s) - ??

As much as Kessel annoys me, he is similar to what Yakupov projects to be right now.

Could you imagine if the Leafs essentially traded what turned out to be Seguin, D. Hamilton, Gardiner, and Galchenyuk/Grigorenko for Yakupov?

Old
06-14-2012, 10:24 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:

but you know the leak is coming from the TO side, tambo has been very good at keeping his door closed, if the leafs are leaking this info of course the TO media is going to love it, its a rip off. the local guys are just reporting it because they have nothing else to report. I will be very very surpised if the oilers trade the first pick

Old
06-14-2012, 10:27 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

Quote:
I don't know of one single supporter of that trade. Everyone had reservations from day 1.

The reality is that even smart moves don't always turn out the way you hoped. The future is not as predictable as many of us seem to think. Hindsight tends to be a lot clearer.

Some of the smartest hockey minds seem to think moving down has merit. This is certainly an interesting situation and I think it is almost impossible to be open minded and have a strong opinion in this case.

The haters are going to bash Tambo for thinking about it. If he does nothing, they will call him Mr Dithers. The blind supporters will fall in line no matter what happens.

I was hoping they would draft Yakupov but that may not happen so I guess it is time to be open minded about the possibility of a risky trade.
Its a dumb ass trade. Dont need hindsight, foresight or outta sight to figure that out.

Much like the Greene + Stoll for Visnovsky was a dumba ass trade, this idea is even worse than that.

And Mactavish is just figuring out now that the Vis deal was a bad one.

Whatever, I will watch and laugh.

Schenn last year was no better than Gilbert at his worst.

And we definitely dont need that.

Especially at 3.6 for five years or whatever his stupid contract is.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:32 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post

PROVE ME WRONG TAMBO!
I wouldnt be surprised if the Oilers leaked this bogus rumour to test the waters.

No surprise that the local bootlicks would run with it.

They did the same thing with the Mact re-hire.

It was like they were reading from a script. "Smart hockey guy" "Bright mind" were the words of the day, just like ****ing Sesame Street.

You would think we just brought in Scotty Bowman or Ken Holland, not some failed reject who came crawling back because he couldnt get a job with another organization.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Hemsky is a gangsta
Hemsky is a gangsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

Much like the Greene + Stoll for Visnovsky was a dumba ass trade, this idea is even worse than that.

And Mactavish is just figuring out now that the Vis deal was a bad one.
The Oilers won that trade. They got the best player, an elite PP+EV dman for a couple complimentary pieces. The problem was not finding a 3rd line C to replace Stoll or Reasoner that summer...3rd line C's are a much more available commodity compared to dmen like Visnovsky.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:39 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky is a gangsta View Post
The Oilers won that trade. They got the best player, an elite PP+EV dman for a couple complimentary pieces. The problem was not finding a 3rd line C to replace Stoll or Reasoner that summer...3rd line C's are a much more available commodity compared to dmen like Visnovsky.
Ok then.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I like what HF has to say about Yakupov and the Oilers drafting him:

"The Oilers have an organizational imbalance and need to add a couple of NHL defensemen, but that won't be addressed with this year's top pick. They are better doing that through trade or free agency. In Yakupov they get an elite talent and top level goal scorer who can step in and contribute immediately. Along with Hall, Eberle, and Nugent-Hopkins he gives them an embarrassment of riches up front."

Old
06-14-2012, 10:46 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

As a couple people have noted, Burke did say he has not had discussions with
Edmonton involving Schenn.

Could be he offered 5th & Gardiner.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
As a couple people have noted, Burke did say he has not had discussions with
Edmonton involving Schenn.

Could be he offered 5th & Gardiner.
Why would he offer Gardiner, a better, cheaper player on the rise and not Schenn who's declining and just signed a gross contract?

Old
06-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky is a gangsta View Post
Last time I checked LA won a SC, Vis lives by the beach and we have a one legged Bostonian.

Closed Thread