HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers interested in Justin Schultz, Part II - The "Fans Praying" Edition

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to guarantee Schultz an NHL spot to get him to sign?
Yes 101 64.74%
No 55 35.26%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Schultz reminds me of Shattenkirk. Both are righties. Can skate. Can move the puck. Smart players. Need to get a little stronger. Their offensive abilities are their strengths.

Hope they can sign him.
And I hope the Rangers fans are willing to put up with the kinds of defensive mistakes that Shattenkirk made his first couple of years. That's not a knock on Shattenkirk, who I think is awesome. It's just a statement of reality about young D, especially young offensive D. In Shattenkirk's case, he makes up for it with offense. It's why you saw him as a +7 in his short time in STL in 2011 once he was playing in front of decent goaltending and his +20 last year. If we sign him, Schultz may make the team next season, but he's going to make rookie mistakes. Expect it.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:26 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Schultz has played 3 years of college hockey in the WCHA. NHL lockout in the fall will allow Schultz to get whatever seasoning he needs in the AHL. Stop comparing him to Matt Gilroy. I have seen Schultz more than most people here and he is very good. The Rangers must like him if he is one of their top targets and he is probably their top target because he is 22 years old and will be a top D in the league. Those guys cost $4M when they reach arbitraton. The Rangers can offer him the max bonuses allowed and give him the best opprtunity to reach those bonuses than any other team playing with Staal or McDonagh.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRangers89 View Post
Yea because then he leaves the board for good. He is being overhyped and people have hardons for the kid and he has no NHL experience at all, can't wait till he signs.
You've never seen him play.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:05 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Schultz played with Cody Gouloubef in his freshman year. Both of them are righties. Gouloubef played the left. They also had 2 lefties in McDonagh and Gardiner as a pair with Gardiner playing the righ side. The Badgers haven't been very good the last 2 years. Their D was still good with Schultz,Ramage,McCabe and Simonielli(spelled his name wrong). McCabe should be a 2nd or 3rd round pick later this month.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:18 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers said Erixon was on the McDonagh program. Go the AHL and come back in the new year. McD turned pro 3 years after he was drafted and needed 30 plus games in the AHL. Erixon turned pro after 2 years. Shattenkirk spent played some games in his rookie year in 10-11 when he was still with Colorado. He never saw the AHL again. Gardiner played some AHL games this season and then played in the playoffs. Erixon will get some more AHL games in the fall with the probable lockout. Rundblad spent the year in the AHL.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
Schultz has played 3 years of college hockey in the WCHA. NHL lockout in the fall will allow Schultz to get whatever seasoning he needs in the AHL. Stop comparing him to Matt Gilroy. I have seen Schultz more than most people here and he is very good. The Rangers must like him if he is one of their top targets and he is probably their top target because he is 22 years old and will be a top D in the league. Those guys cost $4M when they reach arbitraton. The Rangers can offer him the max bonuses allowed and give him the best opprtunity to reach those bonuses than any other team playing with Staal or McDonagh.
If you have seen him quite a bit than I would value your opinion more than most.
Most fans catch the occasional game on ESPNU and have maybe seen him once or twice.

I am not comparing them as players as I've hardly seen Schultz play. I am comparing the hype though. Gilroy was smooth skating offensive defnsemen who was going to solve our PP QB problems. Free agent we had to have.

I read an article yesterday (I think it was on ProHockey Talk) speculating that several teams will guarantee Schultz roster spot and if you are not willing to do that, you likely won't be in the conversation.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:57 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 View Post
If you have seen him quite a bit than I would value your opinion more than most.
Most fans catch the occasional game on ESPNU and have maybe seen him once or twice.

I am not comparing them as players as I've hardly seen Schultz play. I am comparing the hype though. Gilroy was smooth skating offensive defnsemen who was going to solve our PP QB problems. Free agent we had to have.

I read an article yesterday (I think it was on ProHockey Talk) speculating that several teams will guarantee Schultz roster spot and if you are not willing to do that, you likely won't be in the conversation.
I'd agree that the hype here was comparable with Gilroy to what we are now seeing with Schultz. Key difference for me is that some posters I respect are so high on Schultz this time around.

If in fact the guy wants a guaranteed spot, and our failure to commit to that takes us out of the discussion, then so be it.

I'm not worried about it. If he is talking with his former team mates, then he knows the deal.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:15 PM
GAGLine

Quote:

Gilroy and Schultz are comparable in that they were/are both defensemen, both played in the NCAA and both free agents.

However, they are not comparable in several very important ways:

1) Schultz is 22. Gilroy was 25.
2) Schultz was a 2nd round pick. Gilroy was undrafted.
3) Schultz scored more than a PPG in both his sophomore and junior seasons. Gilroy didn't break out until his senior year and was never a PPG player.
4) Schultz has played defense all his life. Gilroy started out as a forward and switched to defense in college.

Schultz is much more comparable to Blake Wheeler than he is to Gilroy. And if he busts, so what? We aren't spending any assets to acquire him. Gilroy was an experiment that didn't work out, but the Rangers are no worse off now than they would have been if they didn't sign him. There is absolutely no downside to signing Schultz.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:34 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Gilroy also had his best / Hobey season in a ridiculously weak year for college hockey. I was naysaying that signing from the beginning but who's counting right.

06-14-2012, 01:39 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:

Brian Lawton said that. Jim Matheson had a response

Quote:
I don't see any NHL team guaranteeing unsigned free-agent D-man Justin Schultz a spot on their team to sign. It is a competition. No?.
https://twitter.com/NHLbyMatty/statu...55514345615361

Old
06-14-2012, 02:06 PM
nsvoyageurs

If they do sign this kid, you cannot guarantee him a roster spot. If he has a great training camp/preseason, then great, keep him. With the probable NHL lockout this fall, the player will probably start the season in the AHL anyway, no matter which team signs him, a chance to get his feet wet before making the jump. Edmonton has holes on their defence, both for now and in the immediate future as they don't have many if any defencemen prospects in their system. He'd probably make their lineup before he'd make the Ranger lineup. As much as I'd like the Rangers to sign him, I'm not getting too pumped; a lot can happen.

Old
06-14-2012, 02:11 PM
bernmeister

Not only do I guarantee him a spot on the roster, I tell him he's actually playing 3rd pair 6th D (not 7th D mostly sitting down) w/full opportunity to advance as partner w/McDonagh assuming he can demonstrate he can cut that mustard.

Old
06-14-2012, 02:24 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Not only do I guarantee him a spot on the roster, I tell him he's actually playing 3rd pair 6th D (not 7th D mostly sitting down) w/full opportunity to advance as partner w/McDonagh assuming he can demonstrate he can cut that mustard.
Staal - Girardi
McD - Schultz
MDZ - Sarich/Kubina

Erixon either starts in CT or is on the big club right away
But he needs to play
Maybe resign Strålman on a one year deal as 7th D if Sauer is far away

Bickel is 8th D/14th fwd signed for cheap on a one way deal

If things go well - then at the deadline we can make a deal worthy of Monty Hall maybe?

Old
06-14-2012, 02:32 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Absolutely no to the notion of bringing sarich or kubina. We dont need slow footed past their prime defensemen. Rather let Erixon play and have growing pains.

And no guaranteeing spots

Old
06-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
The Rangers said Erixon was on the McDonagh program. Go the AHL and come back in the new year. McD turned pro 3 years after he was drafted and needed 30 plus games in the AHL. Erixon turned pro after 2 years. Shattenkirk spent played some games in his rookie year in 10-11 when he was still with Colorado. He never saw the AHL again. Gardiner played some AHL games this season and then played in the playoffs. Erixon will get some more AHL games in the fall with the probable lockout. Rundblad spent the year in the AHL.
Wouldn't mind having Erixon and Schultz play together on the top pairing in the AHL to begin the season, then both come up when the lockout is over (if there is a lockout) to be our 3rd pairing.

For the time being, let's say no substantial trades are made, MDZ would have to play on the right side with Staal. At some point Schultz will have to move up to the 2nd pairing because MDZ is a real liability playing the right side.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Vitto79

so if they sign Schultz is that it on the D? I mean McD, Girardi, Staal, Schultz, DZ, Erixon.............McIlrath, Vernance in the minors

Old
06-14-2012, 05:13 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
so if they sign Schultz is that it on the D? I mean McD, Girardi, Staal, Schultz, DZ, Erixon.............McIlrath, Vernance in the minors
I still think they sign a cheap depth guy for the third pairing RD position.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:18 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Absolutely no to the notion of bringing sarich or kubina.
Don't know enough about Sarich but I guarantee the Rangers were scouting him heavily last spring. No to Kubina, he's finished.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Chief

As much as I would like to bring some more grit to the blueline, I'm going to throw out a bargain bin idea: Alex Sulzer. Good two way Dman who hadn't had much of an opportunity to show his offensive game playing behind Weber and Suter in Nashville for a few years. Bounced around a little bit the last two seasons but showed some offense in Buff where he scored 8 pts. in 15 games. 28 years old and a righty shot. Could be a nice partner for Erixon. And in case Torts is reading: 90 blocked shots in 67 games last two seasons.

Old
06-15-2012, 10:19 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

i just want to see this kid with mcdonagh on the power play. seems like they'd have great synergy. mcdonagh is already a 30 point guy w/o playing the the power play. they'd bring strong d. he'd be able to mentor schultz on the system, and schultz would help mcd's offensive game-- and they might have some chemistry from their earlier days.

ideally next season imo:
girardi/staal
schultz/mcdonagh
del zotto/mcilrath(if ready)/ erixon(if mcilrath is not)/ sauer(if healthy and conditioned)/ stralman(as 7th)/ bickel(if stralman isn't 7th)

Old
06-15-2012, 12:01 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
ideally next season imo:
girardi/staal
schultz/mcdonagh
del zotto/mcilrath(if ready)/ erixon(if mcilrath is not)/ sauer(if healthy and conditioned)/ stralman(as 7th)/ bickel(if stralman isn't 7th)
Not sure that is ideal at all. Starting with an uproven kid from college as a top 4 defenseman is a recipe for disaster. I cannot see Mclgrath being ready. And Erixon, unless he really wows at camp, will more than likely open the year in Hartford.

Bickel should be brought back. He can play the role of a 6th/7 defenseman and 13th forward.

Old
06-15-2012, 12:11 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Not sure that is ideal at all. Starting with an uproven kid from college as a top 4 defenseman is a recipe for disaster. I cannot see Mclgrath being ready. And Erixon, unless he really wows at camp, will more than likely open the year in Hartford.

Bickel should be brought back. He can play the role of a 6th/7 defenseman and 13th forward.
him being able to come in and be a top 4 defenseman on this team as an unproven kid from college would be ideal-- whether he does or doesn't does not change what the ideal situation is... just the actual situation.

i agree on mcilrath needing some time down in the minors, but once again. ideal situation is that he's ready.. if he's not sauer, erixon, stralman, and bickel fit.

erixon's only problem really was his size. he needs to bulk up. pretty sure it was torts who mentioned it in a press conference-- he get pushed off the puck too easily. i could see him in hartford as well, but i don't think it's more or less likely. just depends on his offseason work.

i'd like bickel back, but not over stralman if we end up filling the 6 w/o him. stral seems content on being back with his family though so you're right... bickel will likely be brought back (especially w/ the ability to be a forward in tight situations-- basically gives us a free depth guy)

going forward either way we need to make sure that we have options available.

and i guess i could just say ideally all our defenseman will come in and be +50s next season scoring 60 goals and getting 90 assists too... but idk lol. can't read too much into it. ideally we get schultz and he works out. if he works out, then there is a strong chance that he becomes a top 4 guy.

Old
06-15-2012, 12:21 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
him being able to come in and be a top 4 defenseman on this team as an unproven kid from college would be ideal-- whether he does or doesn't does not change what the ideal situation is... just the actual situation.

i agree on mcilrath needing some time down in the minors, but once again. ideal situation is that he's ready.. if he's not sauer, erixon, stralman, and bickel fit.

erixon's only problem really was his size. he needs to bulk up. pretty sure it was torts who mentioned it in a press conference-- he get pushed off the puck too easily. i could see him in hartford as well, but i don't think it's more or less likely. just depends on his offseason work.

i'd like bickel back, but not over stralman if we end up filling the 6 w/o him. stral seems content on being back with his family though so you're right... bickel will likely be brought back (especially w/ the ability to be a forward in tight situations-- basically gives us a free depth guy)

going forward either way we need to make sure that we have options available.

and i guess i could just say ideally all our defenseman will come in and be +50s next season scoring 60 goals and getting 90 assists too... but idk lol. can't read too much into it. ideally we get schultz and he works out. if he works out, then there is a strong chance that he becomes a top 4 guy.
I don't want Bickel back, at all. There is ZERO chance we go into the playoffs next year with Bickel. ZERO.

I understand he can play forward also, and he fights and is a good team guy, blah blah blah. But let's be honest here, he's not good at either. Sure, he did actually play fairly decent at the end of the season, but as soon as the playoffs started, I think it's fair to say he was completely overmatched.

Hopefully we add Schultz, and then with Sauer (hopefully), Erixon, and McIlrath almost ready...we don't need a guy like Bickel. He's an AHL player.

Old
06-15-2012, 01:03 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
I don't want Bickel back, at all. There is ZERO chance we go into the playoffs next year with Bickel. ZERO.

I understand he can play forward also, and he fights and is a good team guy, blah blah blah. But let's be honest here, he's not good at either. Sure, he did actually play fairly decent at the end of the season, but as soon as the playoffs started, I think it's fair to say he was completely overmatched.

Hopefully we add Schultz, and then with Sauer (hopefully), Erixon, and McIlrath almost ready...we don't need a guy like Bickel. He's an AHL player.
didn't bickel go 5 months without having a goal scored against him while he was on the ice? imo he just wasn't conditioned for the end of the season + his confidence dwindled because any mistake while he was on the ice he got the blame. (del zotto's random turnovers/failure to cover his man+staal pinching in randomly while bickel was already in the zone.. etc.) i don't think bickel was bad at all. i think he had a few bad months be it from conditioning, rest, or mental. he was great for months for what he costs. hell bickel makes the defensive save of the playoffs against ottawa and the next game he has a bad turnover recovers and breaks up 2 of the 3 on a 3 on 2 and del zotto fails to cover his man and bickel gets benched. he's not that bad at all. to say zero chance of making the playoffs with him is just ignorant. especially with the season he had outside of that. we had people saying "i really hope torts knows what he has with bickel" then come playoffs "HES DAMAGED GOODS! GET RID OF HIM!!!"

we def have better coming up, but the guy had a good season. let's not make it sound like he's the reason we lost.

Old
06-15-2012, 02:27 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
What is wrong with having your #6 defenseman play like a 6th defenseman?

Closed Thread