HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Los Angeles Kings - Stanley Cup Champions. Say it, and Believe it

Old
06-14-2012, 09:32 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

vCash: 500
Los Angeles Kings - Stanley Cup Champions. Say it, and Believe it

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-spk...2796101.column

"It's a sea change in Kings history: 45 years of bitter disappointment and bad memories consigned to the deep. None of that matters anymore. Strange and surreal as it sounds, they really are NHL champs.

The Kings are Stanley Cup champions. And after watching this team for the better part of two decades though not nearly as long as many die-hards there is no way to express how surreal it is to write those words in that order while sober.

Let's bury that curved stick somewhere at sea and with it dump all the angst and bitterness of 45 years of striving but failing, of building around veterans then reversing course to emphasize youth and then starting all over again. They finally got it right, starting with Dave Taylor as the general manager who put the core players in place and finished off by Dean Lombardi, who applied the necessary final touches.

Consign to the deep all the regrets over the long-ago policy of trading first-round draft picks that became other teams' Hall of Fame players for veterans who had little long-term impact. They drafted well and used trades and free agency to fill holes they couldn't plug from within, the only sound strategy in a salary-cap era.

Push aside the sadness that the powerful Bob Pulford-coached teams always encountered a playoff roadblock and never advanced as far as they should have. Honor that memory, but don't agonize over it anymore."

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:50 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

I completely agree. The Kings' organization needed a complete exorcism and change in culture. No more ex-players or other people from their past making the player personnel decisions and they got that 6 years ago when Leiweke found the courage to bring in someone new and go an entirely different direction.

The culture has been changed for the better and it's time for the Kings to move on and act like champions. Expectations for every person in the organization need to be raised at this point. Losing is not acceptable, being anything other than their best is not acceptable.

I don't need to see any more clips of the Miracle on Manchester or Adam Deadmarsh's OT goal against Detroit. Nice moments, but they hardly compare.

As long time fans of the Los Angeles Kings, we deserve this.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:55 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

The Kings won as many playoff series in the last two months as they did in the previous 19 years.

Something else. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around what just happened.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:00 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

The 1993 team went 13-11 in the playoffs.

This team left no doubt that it is the best Kings team ever. It wasn't a collection of stars, it was a team with home a ton of home grown talent and the right mix of players acquired in other ways.

Instead of bringing in star power the Kings were finally patient enough to develop their own stars in Quick, Kopitar, Brown, and Doughty. Patience (remember that word?) pays.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:23 AM
nocturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
The Kings won as many playoff series in the last two months as they did in the previous 19 years.

Something else. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around what just happened.
Me too x1000.

While I was watching the last 30 seconds of the game with my wife and daughter, they just kept looking at me....looking at me....looking at me, waiting for me to either burst into tears of joy or jump around like a lunatic. I just sat there for 3 hours after and didnt say a word. My wife, just yesterday, asked me "Sooooo, are you stoked OR WHAT!? SAY SOMETHING!" I just looked at her and said "I need a week or two to wrap my head around everything." She just looked at me like WTF? You've been waiting 36 years for this and thats all you have?

Its A LOT of emotion to filter through. A TON in fact. Its just within the past 24 hours starting to "wash over" me. Its hard to explain. Its not like a switch has been flipped and 36 years of torment and disappointment have just dissapeared....just like that. For me, this is going to take a while to marinate...

nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote