HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Keeping this Team together.....

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2012, 07:21 PM
niomosy

vCash: 500
Already mentioned in the Parise thread but Parise says he'd like to stay in NJ.

Now whether or not that's true, who knows. I can certainly see him staying put.

Old
06-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Duc620

Can we at least allow the players to get over their hangovers before we start casting them aside? Because chemistry, role players, and team play is underrated compared to stats and opinions.

I'm all for letting these guys stick together and do it again. Did any of you notice the feeling in Penner's eyes and face when he spoke about staying with a Championship team? Did you hear the feeling and energy in Richards voice when he spoke about this team and these players and their room? What do you think built Detroit's franchise? Just all stars?

Nope. It's character and battle more than talent. And then hanging around long enough to pass it along to the next group.
We have something very special here. I know Lombardi and Sutter, and these players will keep it going.

Old
06-13-2012, 07:32 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
Can we at least allow the players to get over their hangovers before we start casting them aside? Because chemistry, role players, and team play is underrated compared to stats and opinions.

I'm all for letting these guys stick together and do it again. Did any of you notice the feeling in Penner's eyes and face when he spoke about staying with a Championship team? Did you hear the feeling and energy in Richards voice when he spoke about this team and these players and their room? What do you think built Detroit's franchise? Just all stars?

Nope. It's character and battle more than talent. And then hanging around long enough to pass it along to the next group.
We have something very special here. I know Lombardi and Sutter, and these players will keep it going.
I agree with you to a large extent, but every team has some turnover. Penner played well for the Kings in the playoffs, but he has a major sales job, including offering his services at a reduced rate, in order to convince Dean to keep him.

I think Penner really wants to stay with the Kings and I would love to have him if we get playoff Penner for say 60 regular season games out of the 82.

Old
06-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Monarchist

2013-14 lineup: fitting Suter under the cap, keeping most of the team together, having the best fourth line in the league:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Dustin Brown ($3.175m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)
Dustin Penner ($3.500m) / Andrei Loktionov ($1.500m) / Jeff Carter ($5.273m)
Dwight King ($1.000m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Jordan Nolan ($1.000m)
Clifford Kyle ($1.500m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.000m) / Trevor Lewis ($1.500m)
Kevin Westgarth ($0.725m)

DEFENSEMEN
Drew Doughty ($7.000m) / Ryan Suter ($6.500m)
Voynov Slava ($2.000m) / Willie Mitchell ($3.500m)
Matt Greene ($2.950m) / Martinez Alec ($1.500m)
Thomas Hickey ($0.827m) /

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($6.000m)
Martin Jones ($0.526m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,900,157; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $399,843

Old
06-13-2012, 07:38 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 1888
New CBA could destroy that cap plan and maybe even the team we have now so we have to be very careful.

Quote:
The problem is that the beginning of the frenzied offseason starts next Friday. It's not out of want that this is being talked about, but because it's right there. Could get used to our seasons ending very late

I hope we keep it all together for a year or two, but it has to be at the right prices.

Old
06-13-2012, 07:41 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
2013-14 lineup: fitting Suter under the cap, keeping most of the team together, having the best fourth line in the league:

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($6.000m)
Martin Jones ($0.526m)
------
I like Loktionov a lot, but he doesn't get that kind of promotion without earning it. Plus I think Lombardi will take a long look at re-signing Fraser for 1 or 2 seasons. He played his ass off for the Kings.

Old
06-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I like Loktionov a lot, but he doesn't get that kind of promotion without earning it. Plus I think Lombardi will take a long look at re-signing Fraser for 1 or 2 seasons. He played his ass off for the Kings.
I agree about Fraser... he raised his personal standard of play and is a great role model for younger players in terms of grit and overcoming barriers and obstacles.

Lokti is a bit longer term project. I think you agree with that idea... his got some great hands and playmaking vision. A bit more maturity and muscle and he'll be a handful.

Old
06-13-2012, 07:55 PM
RAZZIE King
Registered redophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
Do we really have that many homegrown guys?

Let's see... Kopi, Brown, King, Lewis, Nolan, Doughty, Voynov, Martinez, Quick

Not counting the guys on the bench. It's all right, nothing crazy.
Don't forget our splinter collector...Bernier...

Old
06-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
isn't their prospect pool barren.

and if DL was looking for someone on the sharks i would want clowe.
Eh it's a side effect of having great regular seasons and trading away 1rsts in attempts to win the cup. If the Sharks really needed to they could easily refill the prospect pool fast with a couple of trades. But even with that we've managed to do ok with guys like Wingels, Desjardins, Demers, and Braun making the team and being able to contribute. None of them are top pairing d or top 6 forwards but for now we have the top D and top forward spots filled.

And hey, Clowe just so happens to be one of the players we're looking at moving! What would you be willing to offer for him?

Old
06-13-2012, 08:03 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
I agree about Fraser... he raised his personal standard of play and is a great role model for younger players in terms of grit and overcoming barriers and obstacles.

Lokti is a bit longer term project. I think you agree with that idea... his got some great hands and playmaking vision. A bit more maturity and muscle and he'll be a handful.
Yeah I do, which is why I think he will be the extra forward on the roster next season and Brad Richardson's time here is done.

I do believe that Loktionov is out of options, but maybe I am wrong. Can he go down to Manchester for one more season?

Old
06-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Yeah I do, which is why I think he will be the extra forward on the roster next season and Brad Richardson's time here is done.

I do believe that Loktionov is out of options, but maybe I am wrong. Can he go down to Manchester for one more season?
You know, I think he can stay one more season... but I'm the worst when it comes to that kind of thing. Ziggy's probably got it memorized.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:46 AM
Rusty Batch

Quote:

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($6.000m)
Martin Jones ($0.526m)
------
This is almost exactly what I have been thinking.

Only a couple of changes that I would make...

Penner-Kopi-Williams
King-Carter-Lokti
Brown-Richards-Nolan
Clifford-Stoll-Lewis

The top 3 lines would be basically interchangeable. I Really love Brown and Richards but also feel that they arent great "set-up" guys. I think they are playmakers but only in the sense that they can make something happen out of nothing. Both are however turn-over prone and tend to always try for the big play. Thus they arent ideal guys to play with other goal scorers. But I think they would wreak havoc together, putting Nolan with them gives them a guy who has pretty soft hands and will go to the net. I could see Nolan occasionaly setting them up or finishing tip ins that are created by them. It also puts a guy on their line who will drop the gloves after they cream someone.

Williams is all hustle and can both setup and finish opportunities. I think he would fit great with Penner who can do the same thing in a different way, and Kopi who does it all. I could see Penner being a better fit for Kopitar then Brown.

Moving Carter back to center would probably improve his game, and Loktionov as a true pass first guy would really benefit from playing with Carter, King would add the grit to that line while also being able to capitilize on chances created by Carter/Lokti.

I think one thing we didnt see enough of was Carter getting the puck in great shooting zones. A return to center and a pairing with Lokti and King (underrated passer) would do wonders for him.

Rolling a top 3 lines like that would be unbelievable. And then the 4th would be downright nasty.

A Doughty/Suter pairing would be epic and probably the best 1st pairing in the NHL for the next 5 years.

Id move Scuderi and Gagne for draft picks. Both of them are not going to be with us after their contracts expire and both of them would be easily replaced in this scenario (scuderi for Suter) and a year from now (Gagne for Toffoli).

Old
06-14-2012, 04:15 AM
Monarchist

Quote:
This is a 2013-14 lineup, to show signing Suter works medium-term. It is compatible with one year of Fraser, and it's hard to project ahead without assuming either Loktionov does or doesn't earn a promotion, and either is possible. But by 2013 one center could be someone drafted very soon, maybe Gaunce, Sissons, or Prokhorkin, and Loktionov could be traded.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:30 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
Quick is a team-first guy and very, very humble. I've been saying this all year long and maybe even parts of the previous year: Quick will sign a multi-year deal for $4.75m per year.

Is he worth more than that? Absolutely! But Quick's not just humble, but smart enough to realize that this team has the perfect opportunity to be a "dynasty team" and that individual greed has the potential to derail a Stanley Cup dynasty.

Call me crazy.

Flame away.

$4.75 million per. You shall see!
I don't think the NHLPA would let him do that.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:35 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post
Did you guys not see Penner's interview on Kings Live? He genuinely sounded like he wanted desperately to come back next year. Said that he knows the feeling of leaving a Cup winning team the following year and wanted to experience what it felt like to actually stick around. Said that he would be talking to his agent about trying to make that happen.

If you can get Stoll and Penner back at a reasonable cost, I think you do it. I don't think that precludes you from trying to sign a Parise or someone else if you can, but at not at anything exorbitant. We don't know what Simon does in the offseason as well.

One thing is this team as it stands has only been together for about about 50 games including the playoffs. At full strength under Sutter, this team is ridiculously good, so I don't think it's a bad thing to keep things status quo. Especially, given the youth on this team. Anyway, this is the latest I've ever even thought about the offseason...good times ahead.
This. I think Penner understands the media, especially after this season, and he knows he would get crucified in Toronto or any major hockey media market. Really, LA is perfect for him if he can keep up his level of play.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:39 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by niomosy View Post

I think he re-signs with NJ, but it would be pretty damn sweet to stick it to the Devils for the Kovy BS.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:08 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
I think he re-signs with NJ, but it would be pretty damn sweet to stick it to the Devils for the Kovy BS.
I think we already did. You know, this thing:

Old
06-14-2012, 07:21 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by niomosy View Post

Every player says that...until July 1st, then they talk about how excited they are to be in their new location. I doubt Parise is back in NJ...NJ just does not have the real world money to give him, his money is going to Kovy (who's pay goes from 6 million this season to 11 million next year). Brodeur wants to be back and with his ego you sure as hell know he is not taking a paycut.

The funniest thing is how EVERYBODY keeps telling me how LA has no chance to keep their team together Sigh. Oh well, I guess people will just be so dissapointed when this whole team is back next year.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:43 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Every player says that...until July 1st, then they talk about how excited they are to be in their new location. I doubt Parise is back in NJ...NJ just does not have the real world money to give him, his money is going to Kovy (who's pay goes from 6 million this season to 11 million next year). Brodeur wants to be back and with his ego you sure as hell know he is not taking a paycut.

The funniest thing is how EVERYBODY keeps telling me how LA has no chance to keep their team together Sigh. Oh well, I guess people will just be so dissapointed when this whole team is back next year.
Just proves once again, that EAST Coast people don't watch ANY OTHER HOCKEY what so ever.

They have no clue about anything Kings related. I always love making fun of East Coasters. My first response to their drivle is "Wow I am shocked you even know who the Kings are".

I was listening to Canucks radio 1040 two mornings ago(they have good shows).

I swear to god this happened you can even listen to the podcast. The Canucks launch podcast had a Ranger fan call in; He said " It's fitting that Chicago has goalie problems" "That is what they get for letting Quick go instead of promoting him"............

The radio hosts started dying "You do know sir that Quick was drafted by the Kings".......

Classic East Coaster.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:43 AM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
This is a 2013-14 lineup, to show signing Suter works medium-term. It is compatible with one year of Fraser, and it's hard to project ahead without assuming either Loktionov does or doesn't earn a promotion, and either is possible. But by 2013 one center could be someone drafted very soon, maybe Gaunce, Sissons, or Prokhorkin, and Loktionov could be traded.
That it could work if the cap stays at 70.3M which is very unlikely.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:46 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Just proves once again, that EAST Coast people don't watch ANY OTHER HOCKEY what so ever.

They have no clue about anything Kings related. I always love making fun of East Coasters. My first response to their drivle is "Wow I am shocked you even know who Quick is".

I was listening to Canucks radio 1040 this morning (they have good shows).

I swear to god this happened you can even listen to the podcast. The Canucks launch podcast had a Ranger fan call in; He said " It's fitting that Chicago has goalie problems" "That is what they get for letting Quick go instead of promoting him"............

The radio hosts started dying "You do know sir that Quick was drafted by the Kings".......

Classic East Coaster.
I overheard somebody the other day telling his buddy "did you see what the Kings did at the deadline? They have no chance to keep all these guys together, Richards, Carter, Quick, Penner, Stoll all these key guys they picked up at the deadline this year will all leave in free agency this summer"... At least Penner and Stoll are UFA's this year, but still, just wow.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:04 AM
AKAY47
Philly West Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I overheard somebody the other day telling his buddy "did you see what the Kings did at the deadline? They have no chance to keep all these guys together, Richards, Carter, Quick, Penner, Stoll all these key guys they picked up at the deadline this year will all leave in free agency this summer"... At least Penner and Stoll are UFA's this year, but still, just wow.
Bandwagon fans for sure!!

Old
06-14-2012, 10:31 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Ah ok, I didn't realize you were talking about the season after next. My mistake.

Closed Thread