Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia

Vladimir Krutov - R.I.P

Old
06-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Yakushev72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Makarov View Post
As a player, Larionov was way worse than Krutov. It was Larionov the one who was beneficed of centering two of the greatest players of all time.
Agreed. Maybe I wouldn't say "way worse," but in my mind Krutov was definitely the better of the two. Larionov was strictly a finesse player, while Krutov was tough and strong and could battle in the crease.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 09:37 AM
BMann

Thanks for all the great pleasure you gave and artistry you showed on the ice.

Far too young. Rather numbing news.

Last edited by BMann: 06-12-2012 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Grammar
BMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:43 AM
XO

vCash: 50
My favorite out of the Russian Five. I used to watch the documentary 'CCCP Hockey' ALOT when I was younger. As I'm borned 90 I didnt get to see all of them that much but from what I've seen and read, they were so damn good. Respect.

R.I.P Krutov

XO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 05:12 AM
BleedinBlueSince1972
More Cowbell!!!

vCash: 1010
R.I.P. Krutov, you left us way too young , 52 just 5 years older then myself.

I remember the hoopla when Krutov and Larionov came to North America in 1989, to play for Vancouver. Krutov drank and ate his way back to Russia after just the 1989-90 season. while Larionov went on to also play for San Jose and Detroit where Larionov won 3 Cups and was voted into the NHL Hockey Hall of Fame in 2008.

BleedinBlueSince1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:08 AM
duga

R.I.P Krutov

He was one of the reasons I fell in love with hockey mid 80's.

And having seen him live in Zurich with my favourite Club (where his son has played too) is for the eternity.

Thanks for the golden memories!

duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
R.I.P. Krutov, you left us way too young , 52 just 5 years older then myself.

I remember the hoopla when Krutov and Larionov came to North America in 1989, to play for Vancouver. Krutov drank and ate his way back to Russia after just the 1989-90 season. while Larionov went on to also play for San Jose and Detroit where Larionov won 3 Cups and was voted into the NHL Hockey Hall of Fame in 2008.
It's unfortunate that you seemed to add a somewhat negative note to this otherwise respectful and sad thread. I don't think those of us who respected him as one of the best ever wanted to hear that he "ate and drank his way back to Russia." Of the Five who came to the NHL for the 89-90 season, Volodya was the only one who really seemed to have no genuine interest in playing in the NHL. I don't think he was motivated by the money as much as his cohorts, nor did it seem that playing in the NHL felt right to him. He was seemingly happy with his decision to leave. Those who admire him don't even consider his short NHL stint. Despite the fact that he played a very narrow and undecisive role for the Soviets and in the NHL, congratulations to Larionov for his accomplishments and accolades.

Old
06-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Sergei Makarov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
It's unfortunate that you seemed to add a somewhat negative note to this otherwise respectful and sad thread. I don't think those of us who respected him as one of the best ever wanted to hear that he "ate and drank his way back to Russia." Of the Five who came to the NHL for the 89-90 season, Volodya was the only one who really seemed to have no genuine interest in playing in the NHL. I don't think he was motivated by the money as much as his cohorts, nor did it seem that playing in the NHL felt right to him. He was seemingly happy with his decision to leave. Those who admire him don't even consider his short NHL stint. Despite the fact that he played a very narrow and undecisive role for the Soviets and in the NHL, congratulations to Larionov for his accomplishments and accolades.

Ironically, neither player of the Canucks had a better point per time on the ice percent than Krutov that season. That tells you how good he was: without motivation, out of shape, he still could be an ace.

Sergei Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Makarov View Post
Ironically, neither player of the Canucks had a better point per time on the ice percent than Krutov that season. That tells you how good he was: without motivation, out of shape, he still could be an ace.
It was a huge adjustment for all of the guys who came in the 89-90 season, culturally and hockey-wise. Krutov seemed to conclude that the NHL was not for him. He had proved his greatness against the very best of the hockey world, including Canadian national teams that had the very best NHL players, so he had nothing left to prove.

Old
06-12-2012, 06:35 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
After his NHL stint he wenty over here in Östersund, Sweden and played 4 seasons (Brunflo is just 10 kilometers away).

One really felt for him, he showed such a gratidtude that the small and economical weak organisation cared for him, saw to that he had a flat, paid the rent for him and fixed so that he had a car in the contract (iirc it was on the contract).

He was one of the real superstars when I grow up and he all of a sudden turned up in my home town and played hockey while topping it with being really humble and overall a nice guy - although hard to get to know according to the local fellow players.

The league was really bad and so was the team, but he just dominated by skating around and scoring at leisure, even while being far from his past game.

One guy who played with him then said that Krutov used to shout "Move, move, skate, skate!" he did and got the puck on the blade up forward just as it was magic.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
After his NHL stint he wenty over here in Östersund, Sweden and played 4 seasons (Brunflo is just 10 kilometers away).

One really felt for him, he showed such a gratidtude that the small and economical weak organisation cared for him, saw to that he had a flat, paid the rent for him and fixed so that he had a car in the contract (iirc it was on the contract).

He was one of the real superstars when I grow up and he all of a sudden turned up in my home town and played hockey while topping it with being really humble and overall a nice guy - although hard to get to know according to the local fellow players.

The league was really bad and so was the team, but he just dominated by skating around and scoring at leisure, even while being far from his past game.

One guy who played with him then said that Krutov used to shout "Move, move, skate, skate!" he did and got the puck on the blade up forward just as it was magic.
Sounds like, after all those years playing under intense pressure and a brutal training regimen, he just wanted to end up his career playing the game he loved just for the fun the game offers. That is a nice story. Thank you for telling us about it.