HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft (All NON-Ranger Prospect Discussion Thread - Part II)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-14-2012, 10:16 AM
  #101
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,598
vCash: 500
Looking at this way--not likely in this draft that we're going to get a game breaker of a forward at 28--or you could say in this draft that's it's just about as likely to get one at 58 as at 28 because after the top 10-12 forwards it's pretty much anyone's guess. OTOH if AV (easier than spelling out Vasilevskiy every time) is clearly the best at his position and very projectable as a starting NHL goalie I think it's worthy of consideration especially since we don't really have any great prospects at that position. Even Henrik isn't going to last forever.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:36 AM
  #102
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Looking at this way--not likely in this draft that we're going to get a game breaker of a forward at 28--or you could say in this draft that's it's just about as likely to get one at 58 as at 28 because after the top 10-12 forwards it's pretty much anyone's guess. OTOH if AV (easier than spelling out Vasilevskiy every time) is clearly the best at his position and very projectable as a starting NHL goalie I think it's worthy of consideration especially since we don't really have any great prospects at that position. Even Henrik isn't going to last forever.
The older I get the shorter forever becomes

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:41 AM
  #103
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
The older I get the shorter forever becomes
Tell me about it. I'm 54. It does have some advantages. I hope to be retired by this time next year or maybe even sooner. God--I don't want to work any more.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:03 AM
  #104
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,106
vCash: 500
youre not oging to find a Henrik Lundqvist in the draft. i say, trade for a goalie when the time comes. Henrik will be here for another 7-10 years.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:04 AM
  #105
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Tell me about it. I'm 54. It does have some advantages. I hope to be retired by this time next year or maybe even sooner. God--I don't want to work any more.

Great news on the impending retirement ! Take my Slats, please

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:13 AM
  #106
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
youre not oging to find a Henrik Lundqvist in the draft.
We already did. And we got him in the 7th round. No really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
i say, trade for a goalie when the time comes.
So you want to wait until the last moment when EVERYONE knows our need and the price is driven up higher? Not exactly good planning or asset management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Henrik will be here for another 7-10 years.
Knock on wood please.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:14 AM
  #107
CM PUNK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,294
vCash: 500
i HATE the idea of picking a goalie in the 1st 2 rounds...if there are no good skaters available or we add extra picks thats different, but there will be skaters available to replenish the system that are bigger needs then a goalie to replace hank in 8 years.

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:17 AM
  #108
CM PUNK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
So you want to wait until the last moment when EVERYONE knows our need and the price is driven up higher? Not exactly good planning or asset management.
wait until the last minute? no. but WASTE a 1st round pick on a guy that we might need in 7 years? hell no.

and it will be a waste of a pick because if a guy is good enough to be a 1st round pick, then he will be nhl ready long before hank needs to be replaced and we'll end up trading that guy...the guys that will take 4-5 years to develop normally aren't 1st round picks

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:17 AM
  #109
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Great news on the impending retirement ! Take my Slats, please
Slats loves his job. What's his face will have to fire him.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:27 AM
  #110
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
wait until the last minute? no. but WASTE a 1st round pick on a guy that we might need in 7 years? hell no.

and it will be a waste of a pick because if a guy is good enough to be a 1st round pick, then he will be nhl ready long before hank needs to be replaced and we'll end up trading that guy...the guys that will take 4-5 years to develop normally aren't 1st round picks
You don't keep all your money in the bank do you? No, you spend some of it. Same with prospects. You keep some, you trade some. If AV becomes a world class goalie prospect we have a valuable chip to trade. Or would you rather deal Kreider, Mcilrath or Fast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Slats loves his job. What's his face will have to fire him.
After next years Cup he'll go out a weiner !

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:30 AM
  #111
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
wait until the last minute? no. but WASTE a 1st round pick on a guy that we might need in 7 years? hell no.

and it will be a waste of a pick because if a guy is good enough to be a 1st round pick, then he will be nhl ready long before hank needs to be replaced and we'll end up trading that guy...the guys that will take 4-5 years to develop normally aren't 1st round picks
Cory Schneider is just now about to get a starting job in the NHL. #26 in 2004.

Tuuka Rask is just now about to get a starting job in the NHL. #21 in 2005.

Jonathan Bernier is still in a backup role for LA and awaiting a starting job. #11 in 2006.

Riku Helenius just signed a deal with Tampa Bay, who drafted him 15th overall in 2006. Should get every opportunity to start this year.

There are 4 examples that debunk your theory. 3 of whom are considered to be among the elite young goalies in the NHL.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:56 AM
  #112
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,168
vCash: 500
I don't normally like to take goalies in the first three rounds. But, if the opportunity presents itself, and the Rangers could trade down, add an additional 2nd, and then get both a forward with offensive upside, and add AV, whom they could allow to develop overseas, I'd be satisfied.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:12 PM
  #113
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,598
vCash: 500
Dan Blackburn and Al Montoya both were set back by injuries. Blackburn could be one of the best goalies in the league today if it weren't for a really freak injury.

We've repeated the mantra so many times that a goalie should never be picked in the first round that it's taken on a life of its own--with some coming here eviscerating the idea of it all with an almost religious like intensity. It just can't be done--never--ever. And why not?

So Blackburn and Montoya didn't work out. They join the club of Cherneski, Jessiman, Michael Stewart, Jay More, Brendl, Lundmark etc. etc. Just names off the top of my head of former 1st rounders that crapped out. Not always the player's fault--as in Cherneski's and Blackburn's cases--sometimes it's just crappy drafting--Brendl, Jessiman.

I'm not going to have problem if the Rangers pick a Kerdiles or Hart or Skjei or some other skater whether he's a forward or a defensemen. There will probably be some good ones left to roll the dice with--keeping in mind that at least twenty some other teams will already be figuring/hoping they've gotten a better player than we're going to get. And there is not much you can do about players that are gone before you had a shot at them.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:41 PM
  #114
CM PUNK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
You don't keep all your money in the bank do you? No, you spend some of it. Same with prospects. You keep some, you trade some. If AV becomes a world class goalie prospect we have a valuable chip to trade. Or would you rather deal Kreider, Mcilrath or Fast?
goalies have terrible trade value

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:47 PM
  #115
CM PUNK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I don't normally like to take goalies in the first three rounds. But, if the opportunity presents itself, and the Rangers could trade down, add an additional 2nd, and then get both a forward with offensive upside, and add AV, whom they could allow to develop overseas, I'd be satisfied.
totally agree...would feel alot better about it if it was an extra pick. with only 4 picks in the 7 rounds it would be nice to add some more picks if we can

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:48 PM
  #116
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
goalies have terrible trade value
That's the spirit !

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:49 PM
  #117
CM PUNK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
That's the spirit !
lol trying to look on the bright side

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:57 PM
  #118
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,728
vCash: 500
Sorry, I thought you said they had value especially when offers are running even and you need to add something a competitor cannot

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:25 PM
  #119
SaveByLundqvist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
I hope we draft Frk... Imagine the NHL.com headlines if he ever scores a big goal or something... "Frk'n Amazing"

SaveByLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:29 PM
  #120
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveByLundqvist View Post
I hope we draft Frk... Imagine the NHL.com headlines if he ever scores a big goal or something... "Frk'n Amazing"
Sometimes I watch Frk and think, "Man, this kid could be a stud." Then I'll watch him again a few days later and say, "Man, this guy is a schlub." Such a polarizing player.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:06 PM
  #121
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,865
vCash: 500
There is a Boston kid from Jeff Gorton's hometown of Reading,Mass. Sam Kurker. He played on the same midget/pee wee hockey team(Valley Jr. Warriors) as Chris Kreider. Massachusetts prep school kid. Going to BU in the fall. He was supposed to attend BU in the fall of 2013. 36th overall by Central Scouting.

Quote:
“In my mind with Kurker,” the scout said, “if things go well at BU, and I’m glad he’s going next year instead of doing a year of juniors, because I think he’s ready, I don’t think he’s ever going to be a top-six guy, but he will be a good crash-and-bang type of winger.”
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/h...&position=also

Quote:
Kurker describes himself as a power forward who opens up space for his linemates but also has the kind of scoring touch to be a good option in any situation. At least one NHL scout who has seen him pretty much agrees with the youngster’s assessment.

“Kurker has a big, wide frame and the strength to take the puck to the net and fight through checks,” the scout said. “I like when he plays with an edge, because when he gets that chip on his shoulder, he’s a real load to handle, especially at the level he’s at.”
http://hockeyjournal.com/news/prep/2...ep_star_Kurker

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospect...Rank&year=2012

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:11 PM
  #122
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,925
vCash: 500
Malcolm Subban reminds me of MA Fleury. Great athletic tools and lightening quick but lacking more solid goaltending fundamentals and prone to occasional mental lapses.

I imagine if he pans out to be as good as MA any team would be happy to have him late 1st round.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:55 PM
  #123
Jacques Strap
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Cory Schneider is just now about to get a starting job in the NHL. #26 in 2004.

Tuuka Rask is just now about to get a starting job in the NHL. #21 in 2005.

Jonathan Bernier is still in a backup role for LA and awaiting a starting job. #11 in 2006.

Riku Helenius just signed a deal with Tampa Bay, who drafted him 15th overall in 2006. Should get every opportunity to start this year.

There are 4 examples that debunk your theory. 3 of whom are considered to be among the elite young goalies in the NHL.

I really don't expect the Rangers to draft a goalie yet, but if we do, Andrei Vasilevski would be a good pick. He is the best goalie prospect in the draft. We have to remember that we are drafting at the 28th spot and some people have Andrei Vasilevski rated inside their top 10. Actually, RedLine Report has him at #10. So to think that we can get as highly rated a prospect as that at number 28, he surely would be the best player available.

Jacques Strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:58 PM
  #124
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
If we draft a goaltender in the first round, I'm going to fling feces at my TV.

Especially if Kerdiles is still in the board.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:16 PM
  #125
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
If we draft a goaltender in the first round, I'm going to fling feces at my TV.

Especially if Kerdiles is still in the board.
Are goalies typically drafted in the first round?

We made out like bandits with Lundqvist in the seventh.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.