HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Lightest Youth Helmet?

Old
06-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Oak
Hockey fan

vCash: 50
Lightest Youth Helmet?

Hi Everyone,

So my son has been using a hand-me-down Easton S7 helmet for the past 6 months in his mini-mites program. I've noticed that occasionally when going slow he will just tumble forward, and somebody suggested that the helmet may be a bit too heavy for him.

Does anyone have any experience with youth helmets and can recommend the lightest one? We've gotten a lot of generous hand-me-downs but I guess it's about time I start spending money on his gear since all he ever wants to do is skate/play.

Thanks guys/gals.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:30 PM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
It's not the helmet's problem, it's balance on skates plain and simple. As long as the S7 fits well and is snug, you shouldn't have to worry.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Oak
Hockey fan

Thanks for your opinion.

You might be right, but I do think there is a possibility that it can make a difference on a 3 year old body.

Regardless if anyone has any info I'd love to hear it. At the least I can just compare them and see if there is any difference in feel. If there isn't then no harm done.

Old
06-12-2012, 04:02 PM
rayuelo
Have Wheeling Probs

I agree with AIREAYE. I have two kids, now into their 5th and 4th year of hockey that have worn all kinds of lids. The difference in the heaviest and the lightest helmets should not cause balance problems especially with a relatively heavy cage attached.

If you think a different helmet will help, why not check the retailers, either live or online to check weights.

rayuelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Oak
Hockey fan

It's hard to get any information on weight online. I was hoping people could chime in with some real experience.

I guess the consensus is becoming that weight is not a deal breaker. Thanks guys.

Old
06-12-2012, 04:14 PM
jsykes

I'm really surprised you have an S7 fitting on a 3 year old. Are you sure it fits properly because most kids that age require an actual youth helmet such as the Bauer Lil' Sport.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Oak
Hockey fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
I'm really surprised you have an S7 fitting on a 3 year old. Are you sure it fits properly because most kids that age require an actual youth helmet such as the Bauer Lil' Sport.
I was told it is a youth helmet, but I'm not sure what the official size is. I am 100% sure it fits him snug but the front cage area is slightly big. There is a 1 finger gap between his chin and the cushion.

Old
06-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah my 3 year old only fits into the Lil Sport helmet. Are you sure the helmet fits properly?

Weight won't be a concern here.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:20 PM
rayuelo
Have Wheeling Probs

Forgot to mention, the round, non adjustable Itech helmet for little kids was pretty light.

Not sure where you are, but they sell them at Canadian Tire north of the border.

rayuelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:26 PM
AIREAYE

Hmm, the only advertised 'youth' helmets out there are the Bauer Lil Sports (non adjustable bowling balls) like the others have said and the new Bauer 2100 JR.

By your description, there a bit too much room between chin and cup.

Old
06-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Oak
Hockey fan

Thanks for the info everyone.

I will look to see if they have the 2100 junior at the rink this weekend and see how it works on him. I think I prefer it to the lil sport due to the way you adjust the size more easily.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:23 PM
theFinn

The ITech (Lil Sport Jr Helmet) that rayuelo mentions is very light, and pretty inexpensive, but as mentioned the cage on it is going to be what adds most of the weight. Both my kids used the Bauer M10 helmet at that age and didn't have any weight issues with it. The littlest girl on my younger sons initiation team also uses it without issue and she's TINY. It's a pretty good helmet, very durable. My oldest son played 4 years with it before he outgrew it.

That said, I also doubt it's the weight of the helmet. 3 year olds fall on the they're face all the time, often for no reason at all. It's perfectly normal.

theFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:49 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by theFinn View Post
The ITech (Lil Sport Jr Helmet) that rayuelo mentions is very light, and pretty inexpensive, but as mentioned the cage on it is going to be what adds most of the weight. Both my kids used the Bauer M10 helmet at that age and didn't have any weight issues with it. The littlest girl on my younger sons initiation team also uses it without issue and she's TINY. It's a pretty good helmet, very durable. My oldest son played 4 years with it before he outgrew it.

That said, I also doubt it's the weight of the helmet. 3 year olds fall on the they're face all the time, often for no reason at all. It's perfectly normal.
They've had repeated issues with the button holding the straps of the cage to the helmet as they've been tearing out since there isn't a female end on the inside. Try not to yank too hard or at an gle when taking off the cage from the helmet.

Old
06-14-2012, 02:47 PM
theFinn

Interesting, never had that problem myself though the adjustable plastic bit on the cage strap themselves broke a couple times when my kids tried to yank it off by the end of the strap...

theFinn is offline   Reply With Quote