HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phoenix Coyotes 2012 draft preview

Old
06-14-2012, 01:25 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Phoenix Coyotes 2012 draft preview

The Phoenix Coyotes surprising run to the Western Conference Finals may have dropped them a few places in this year's NHL Draft, but you certainly won't hear them complaining. The Coyotes hold the 27h overall pick in the draft and will be selecting outside of the top 10 for the third straight year-proving the club's success over that span.

Top 10 Prospects:

1. David Rundblad, D
2. Brandon Gormley, D
3. Connor Murphy, D
4. Chris Summers, D
5. Andy Miele, C
6. Michael Stone, D
7. Mark Visentin, G
8. Brett MacLean, LW
9.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:24 AM
DesertDawg

Well I've read the articles, the ratings are close, but some I disagree about.

I also wonder if Lindberg's name will scroll across the board for another year. He did just sign his ELC for the Rangers after being traded to them over a year ago...

DesertDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:09 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Another area that has become a concern for the organization is in goal. Mike Smith appears to being developing into a star, but behind him things get very thin. 2010 first-round pick Mark Visentin is the top goaltending prospect and has enjoyed a stellar OHL career, but is still not considered to be a definite future number one netminder.
Not sure I agree with this. Visentin clearly projects as a NHL goaltender. Not definite (very few goalie prospects are!) but he's solid. Then Domingue and Mike Lee look to have a ton of potential. To be honest I dont remember the Coyotes having a trio of goalie prospects I liked better.

The only way I could see this as lacking depth is if you're looking for a NHL goaltender right now, looking at the AHL level for someone who's ready to step up. However all three are ready to start in the AHL next season so this could change within a few months.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:38 AM
DangleAngle

I strongly disagree that Rundblad is our #1 prospect. I would have him well down on that list. I was not overly impressed with him this year. I think he has a long ways to go to be a steady NHL player. I think Gormley is clearly our best prospect.

DangleAngle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

What was once seen as a great prospect pool now looks like mostly crap.

Gormley Miele and Vits are only 3 at each section of the game that have the best shot of making it into the NHL one day.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:21 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
What was once seen as a great prospect pool now looks like mostly crap.

Gormley Miele and Vits are only 3 at each section of the game that have the best shot of making it into the NHL one day.
I don't think that's fair. Gormley is among the best defensive prospects in the league, and behind him, you've got Rundblad and Murphy, who both project to be very good top four defensemen. Summers and Stone should make a formidable bottom pairing, too.

Visentin has done just about everything one can do at the CHL level, and while he's not as far along as some top flight goalie prospects (like Markstrom, Lack and Lehner, for example), he's almost peerless in his age group. Domingue and Lee could both develop into contributors as well. At defense and in goal, the Coyotes have one of the deepest prospect pools in the league.

It's at forward that things get dicey, but let's recall this was also Boedker's first real full season (the Gretzky one doesn't count), and he improved by leaps and bounds over the course of the year. MacLean is probably never going to make an impact at the NHL level, but Miele, Lessio, Shinnimin and Arnold could all be top nine players (though it's unlikely any will be top scorers). It's obviously the most pressing need, but if it weren't, we'd be talking about one of the top five prospect pools in the league. As it stands, it's still probably in the top half.

That all said, take a look at the current roster of the reigning Pacific Division champs. How many of those players were drafted by the Coyotes? Not counting guys like Stone and Summers who only played a handful of games, I see only five (Doan, Hanzal, Boedker, Yandle, OEL), and no two from the same year. The draft is valuable for budget teams like the Coyotes, but it's only one component of building a team.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:34 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
Not sure I agree with this. Visentin clearly projects as a NHL goaltender. Not definite (very few goalie prospects are!) but he's solid. Then Domingue and Mike Lee look to have a ton of potential. To be honest I dont remember the Coyotes having a trio of goalie prospects I liked better.

The only way I could see this as lacking depth is if you're looking for a NHL goaltender right now, looking at the AHL level for someone who's ready to step up. However all three are ready to start in the AHL next season so this could change within a few months.
Goal isn't a weakness for Phoenix. Smith is bridging the gap for when one of the next generation (Lee, Visentin, Domingue) is ready to take over. Besides how does one judge the quality of goaltending prospects? Visentin was OHL goalie of the year last year and arguably should have repeated this year.

It's fitting this goalie discussion comes at this time of year. I still haven't done my list but you can bet that I will have talked myself into taking Dansk or Subban by that point and one will be in my top 27. Draft is littered with first round picks in goal who didn't meet expectations. Goalie is the absolute hardest position to predict given the 4-6 year development time before they make the jump to the NHL.

Also some of the published draft lists were just awful. Dallas's Campbell is viewed as an elite prospect according to THN yet his stats are mediocre and he really hasn't done much outside of a strong World Juniors his draft year. One tournament does not make you a NHL star. I believe we learned that lesson with Montoya who had a hard time backing up at the AHL level before finding a niche in Long Island.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:37 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangleAngle View Post
I strongly disagree that Rundblad is our #1 prospect. I would have him well down on that list. I was not overly impressed with him this year. I think he has a long ways to go to be a steady NHL player. I think Gormley is clearly our best prospect.

Gormely is the #1 but Rundblad has elite puckhandling and on-ice vision. It's a completely different skill set and let's face it Senators fans threw the strength of Rundblad's SEL MVP season in everyone's face last summer so we are still seeing that reflected in some rankings. THN had Gormely in the top 10 and Rundblad in the top 15 so we can't be overly shocked that someone might have their rankings reversed. It's closer than most of us want to admit to.

Rundblad is a defensive liability but offensively I don't think there is a D man out there with his sort of upside. How good would he look in Edmonton playing with their kids?

Old
06-16-2012, 02:16 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

We have a fantastic pool of prospects.

From the net out. Visentin, Domingue, and Lee give us tremendous prospect depth at that position.

OEL might be one of the best defensemen in the NHL in a few years. Gormley is the best D prospect in the world. Rundblad destroyed the 2nd best league in the world last season, and this season had an adjustment period to the North American game. Summers and Stone made huge strides and look like sure fire NHLers. Murphy has as much upside potential as anyone.

At forward I like Brown and Lessio a lot. Both could end up valuable third liners and PK contributers. Miele and Shinniman are decent long shot types. We need more forward prospects.

All and all, its a very, very solid group.

06-16-2012, 02:17 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF Article View Post

The Phoenix Coyotes surprising run to the Western Conference Finals may have dropped them a few places in this year's NHL Draft, but you certainly won't hear them complaining. The Coyotes hold the 27h overall pick in the draft and will be selecting outside of the top 10 for the third straight year-proving the club's success over that span.

Top 10 Prospects:

1. David Rundblad, D
2. Brandon Gormley, D
3.*Connor Murphy, D
4.*Chris Summers, D
5. Andy Miele, C
6. Michael Stone, D
7. Mark Visentin, G
8. Brett MacLean, LW
9. read more

More...
Brett MacLean is waiver fodder NOT a top ten prospect. Let go of the past.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
I see only five (Doan, Hanzal, Boedker, Yandle, OEL), and no two from the same year. The draft is valuable for budget teams like the Coyotes, but it's only one component of building a team.
Yandle and Hanzal are both from the 2005 draft class.

Its arguable there's a visible correlation between an improvement at the draft and the performance of the Coyotes. Yandle, Hanzal and OEL form the heart of the team under Doan's leadership. But 2005 was 7 years ago, the draft is certainly not a single magic ingredient.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:47 PM
_Del_

Quote:
That all said, take a look at the current roster of the reigning Pacific Division champs. How many of those players were drafted by the Coyotes? Not counting guys like Stone and Summers who only played a handful of games, I see only five (Doan, Hanzal, Boedker, Yandle, OEL), and no two from the same year. The draft is valuable for budget teams like the Coyotes, but it's only one component of building a team.
The thing is that if you asked everyone to list their top eight players on the team last year, those five would be on everylist. That's why drafting well is important. It's easier to add top players via draft than through trade or free agency.

_Del_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:55 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_ View Post
The thing is that if you asked everyone to list their top eight players on the team last year, those five would be on everylist. That's why drafting well is important. It's easier to add top players via draft than through trade or free agency.
I think it also highlights the importance of aiming for top line/top pairing players. You might have a higher hit rate drafting "safe" players with mid-line upside, but those guys are (as Maloney has demonstrated) very easy to find on the free agent market. There's little tangible benefit for drafting a Boyd Gordon or Kyle Chipchura over just signing one or trading a mid-rounder for one, but drafting a Yandle or OEL or even a Boedker is much, much better than having to acquire one.

Old
06-17-2012, 09:00 AM
zerekstar

We could never afford to trade to get the equivalent of Yandle or OEL. If we were not able to draft them, we could never have enough assets to trade to get them.

zerekstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
I don't think that's fair. Gormley is among the best defensive prospects in the league, and behind him, you've got Rundblad and Murphy, who both project to be very good top four defensemen. Summers and Stone should make a formidable bottom pairing, too.

Visentin has done just about everything one can do at the CHL level, and while he's not as far along as some top flight goalie prospects (like Markstrom, Lack and Lehner, for example), he's almost peerless in his age group. Domingue and Lee could both develop into contributors as well. At defense and in goal, the Coyotes have one of the deepest prospect pools in the league.

It's at forward that things get dicey, but let's recall this was also Boedker's first real full season (the Gretzky one doesn't count), and he improved by leaps and bounds over the course of the year. MacLean is probably never going to make an impact at the NHL level, but Miele, Lessio, Shinnimin and Arnold could all be top nine players (though it's unlikely any will be top scorers). It's obviously the most pressing need, but if it weren't, we'd be talking about one of the top five prospect pools in the league. As it stands, it's still probably in the top half.

Fair enough. If anything I see building a winning team based on 70% though the draft, 15% trades, and 15% though free agency.

Old
06-17-2012, 12:06 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I think it also highlights the importance of aiming for top line/top pairing players. You might have a higher hit rate drafting "safe" players with mid-line upside, but those guys are (as Maloney has demonstrated) very easy to find on the free agent market. There's little tangible benefit for drafting a Boyd Gordon or Kyle Chipchura over just signing one or trading a mid-rounder for one, but drafting a Yandle or OEL or even a Boedker is much, much better than having to acquire one.
Thing is, everyone who drafts a Chipchura, Gordon, or Pyatt is hoping they become a Richards, Kesler, or Doan.

Old
06-17-2012, 12:12 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

I think we took that sort of gamble with Murphy. That bad knee made him slide a bit and we took a chance on the talent over the question marks with the knee. Now we just need to do the same thing to try and get that star forward we need so badly.

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
I think we took that sort of gamble with Murphy. That bad knee made him slide a bit and we took a chance on the talent over the question marks with the knee. Now we just need to do the same thing to try and get that star forward we need so badly.
I thought it was Gormley that had a severe knee injury and Murphy had back problems no?

Old
06-17-2012, 02:56 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Thing is, everyone who drafts a Chipchura, Gordon, or Pyatt is hoping they become a Richards, Kesler, or Doan.
I don't think that's always true. Maybe this is hindsight, but I recall both Chipchura and Gordon being drafted for their low risk in spite of their lack of upside. Neither was supposed to a point-per-game player, but I think the Habs and Caps thought they'd be getting a stud 2nd line center who put up 50-60 points and would contend for the Selke a few times. That said, both Richards and Kesler were drafted with a similar upside in mind, and both have far exceeded those expectations. It's not an exact science.

Old
06-17-2012, 04:43 PM
hbk

Well, I'm probably on my fiftieth iteration of my draft rankings in anticipation of my favorite day of the year.

This is an incredibly hard draft to rank for Coyote fans. After the acquisition of Rundblad, emergence of OEL at the NHL level (there should be a rule on how many Edmonton Oiler offers can be made on the main board for OEL in a given month), and strong development of Gormely and to a lesser extent last year's first rounder Conner Murphy we absolutely don't really need another top D prospect. I will make this one comment. There isn't a d man available that I think has an upside significantly greater than Gormely. Because of this, for the purposes of my rankings I tended to sway towards forward ahead of defense if I felt players held similar upside.

Truthfully it would have been better for me to simply do separate rankings for Forwards and Defense rather than put together a Top 30 listing. Regardless, here's my list.

1) LW Yakupov - Top talent available
2) C Galchenyuk - His position places him just slightly ahead of Forsberg on my list.
3) RW Forsberg - Safest pick at forward
4) LW Teraivainen - I've ranked him anywhere from 4th to 9th. His upside is Claude Giroux and we desperately need impact forwards.
5) D Murphy - consensus top rated D man
6) D Reilly - Top skating D man
7) D Dumba - He's Bryan Marchmant with offense.
8) D Trouba - All he does is win
9) RW Grigorenko - Top talent but Alexei Kovalev work ethic.
10) D Reinhart - Doesn't use his size effectively which is why I'm not as enamored with him as some.
11) D Maata - Strong playoffs.
12) D Ceci - A favorite of mine on the blueline.
13) C/LW Kerdiles - Top 2 line Center
14) LW Faksa - Decent powerforward
15) C Girgensons - Comparisons to Doan I like. His decision to play in Vermont will cause him to fall in the draft.
16) D Pouliot - Great offensive instincts
17) LW Aberg - 1st line potential
18) C Gaunce - Character 2nd or 3rd line center. If he's the former he goes earlier.
19) RW Colberg
20) D Lindholm
21) C Samuelsson - Huge improvement and seemed to get better as he adjusted to the WHL game.
22) C Laughton
23) LW Hertl
24) D Koekkock
25) RW Wilson - 9 goals. I keep getting stuck on that number
26) D Finn - I'm probably underrating him.
27) G Subban - may God have mercy on my soul
28) LW Matteau
29) LW DiGuiseppe - I like what he did last year at the NCAA level
30) LW Bozon

Old
06-18-2012, 01:14 AM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Well, I'm probably on my fiftieth iteration of my draft rankings in anticipation of my favorite day of the year.

This is an incredibly hard draft to rank for Coyote fans. After the acquisition of Rundblad, emergence of OEL at the NHL level (there should be a rule on how many Edmonton Oiler offers can be made on the main board for OEL in a given month), and strong development of Gormely and to a lesser extent last year's first rounder Conner Murphy we absolutely don't really need another top D prospect. I will make this one comment. There isn't a d man available that I think has an upside significantly greater than Gormely. Because of this, for the purposes of my rankings I tended to sway towards forward ahead of defense if I felt players held similar upside.

Truthfully it would have been better for me to simply do separate rankings for Forwards and Defense rather than put together a Top 30 listing. Regardless, here's my list.

1) LW Yakupov - Top talent available
2) C Galchenyuk - His position places him just slightly ahead of Forsberg on my list.
3) RW Forsberg - Safest pick at forward
4) LW Teraivainen - I've ranked him anywhere from 4th to 9th. His upside is Claude Giroux and we desperately need impact forwards.
5) D Murphy - consensus top rated D man
6) D Reilly - Top skating D man
7) D Dumba - He's Bryan Marchmant with offense.
8) D Trouba - All he does is win
9) RW Grigorenko - Top talent but Alexei Kovalev work ethic.
10) D Reinhart - Doesn't use his size effectively which is why I'm not as enamored with him as some.
11) D Maata - Strong playoffs.
12) D Ceci - A favorite of mine on the blueline.
13) C/LW Kerdiles - Top 2 line Center
14) LW Faksa - Decent powerforward
15) C Girgensons - Comparisons to Doan I like. His decision to play in Vermont will cause him to fall in the draft.
16) D Pouliot - Great offensive instincts
17) LW Aberg - 1st line potential
18) C Gaunce - Character 2nd or 3rd line center. If he's the former he goes earlier.
19) RW Colberg
20) D Lindholm
21) C Samuelsson - Huge improvement and seemed to get better as he adjusted to the WHL game.
22) C Laughton
23) LW Hertl
24) D Koekkock
25) RW Wilson - 9 goals. I keep getting stuck on that number
26) D Finn - I'm probably underrating him.
27) G Subban - may God have mercy on my soul
28) LW Matteau
29) LW DiGuiseppe - I like what he did last year at the NCAA level
30) LW Bozon
There's no way on this green earth we're going to select a goalie in the first round. We may draft a dman, but it won't be a goalie.

I'm now hoping for 4 players (Hertl, Samuelsson, Laughton or Bozon) I'd like us to package Schlemko and Ross to move up in the 2nd to take another forward prospect, maybe Winther.

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:00 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I ended up taking Thrower in the mock I'm participating in now. Hertl and Samuelsson went the two picks before me. Kerdiles and Di Guisseppe were both gone, too. Matteau, Wilson, Bozon and Laughton were still on the board. It really came down to either Laughton or Thrower. I can't see Laughton being a second liner but I can see Thrower being a second pairing D. Higher value in the end I guess. He's always criticized for being small. He's 5'11 and 3/4 inch and weighs 200lbs. Those are the official combine stats. Despite his good size, he looks like he has a lot of room to get much stronger, based on an interview I saw of him at the combine. I could see him being a 6'0, 210lb wrecking ball. Being a RHD with dangerous offensive talent (at least at the amateur level), having a penchant for throwing huge, highlight reel open ice hits, and being a willing and talented fighter, makes for a guy who might have a whole lot of trade value some day. That or a guy who makes someone else expendible. Anyway, both he and Murphy are at least two or three years from the bigs, anyway. I really didn't want a D, but I had to go with Thrower because Laughton just seemed a little too safe.

Old
06-18-2012, 02:40 AM
OOEEL

Didn't PDG and Chris Brown play on the power play together at Michigan? If he's still around in the second round would it be worth it to grab him to reunite those two down the road? Combined with Summers and we have a nice little collection of former Navy and Maizers.

Now if only we still had Porter and Kolarik...

OOEEL is offline   Reply With Quote