HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Glen Sather looking at free agency - "We don't trade kids"

Old
06-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
The last person I remember saying something three times in succession was St. Peter. You all know how that one turned out.
Sorry, not my religion so I don't know how it turned out. Now back to the matter at hand.

I don't think Parise is playing games, I think he really wants to re-sign with the Devils and if that's not an option because of their financial situation (which I doubt because the Devils are much more marketable with Parise in the lineup and will do everything possible to get it done) he will go somewhere closer to home in the Midwest.

Ruling the Rangers out doesn't effect his ability to get a long term contract at a very favorable salary--he is the best forward out there and only 27 to boot--so I don't see why anyone should doubt what the guy is saying. But, hey, I'm sure there will be plenty of posters here who continue to pencil him into the Rangers lineup, at least for the next few weeks.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
The last person I remember saying something three times in succession was St. Peter. You all know how that one turned out.
The last person you remember saying something three times in succession is from 2000 years ago? You're not trying very hard.

BEETLEJUICE BEETLEJUICE BEETLEJUICE

And so forth.

Grumpy Humphrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:27 PM
NewYorkRangers89*

One thing is for sure, Parise isn't worth 7 mil per year, more like 5.5-6 mil.

NewYorkRangers89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:48 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRangers89 View Post
Bingo!

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:19 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
Even if that's the case, he will easily get 7+ on the open market.

06-14-2012, 08:14 AM
Chief

Quote:
Parise has scored over 90 pts. and over 80 pts. in 2 of the last 3 seasons. The only way he's not "worth" $7MM+ is if you find out he's damaged goods following a season ending injury last year (which does not seem to be the case).

Add to that the fact that he's only 27 and the fact that he is by far the most talented forward available as a UFA this summer and you have the recipe for a huge contract.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:36 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Parise has scored over 90 pts. and over 80 pts. in 2 of the last 3 seasons. The only way he's not "worth" $7MM+ is if you find out he's damaged goods following a season ending injury last year (which does not seem to be the case).

Add to that the fact that he's only 27 and the fact that he is by far the most talented forward available as a UFA this summer and you have the recipe for a huge contract.
agree with the above.

That said, not sure that Parise is what the Rangers need.

I think they need more pure offence from the LW spot.

I like the overall make up of the team in terms of leadership, but I feel we need more pure offence and Parise scores most of his goals on hard work and effort.

offensive talent, sniper ability.

While I would concede Parise is the better player, I think that Nash is a better fit.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
agree with the above.

That said, not sure that Parise is what the Rangers need.

I think they need more pure offence from the LW spot.

I like the overall make up of the team in terms of leadership, but I feel we need more pure offence and Parise scores most of his goals on hard work and effort.

offensive talent, sniper ability.

While I would concede Parise is the better player, I think that Nash is a better fit.
I don't really think there's a team in the NHL that doesn't get better with either player. If they were both UFA's, I wouldn't be against adding either.

When people bring up the skill vs. hard work argument, to me, the only skill that matters is the bottom line. If the guy is scoring 30 or 40 goals and getting over 40 assists, that's enough skill for me. I used to have this argument with a friend and I used to tell him, I want guys who help win hockey games, not skills competitions.

Last 3 full seasons:

Parise - 114 goals + 131 assists = 245 points

Nash - 95 goals + 67 assists = 162 points

And the disparity can't be blamed on linemates. In Parise's 94 pt. season he was playing mostly with Zajac and Gionta.

I think Parise is still underrated. has been ever since his draft year.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:08 PM
NewYorkRangers89*

Wow, Nash and Parise are two different kinds of players, how are you gonna compare their stats when they don't even score the same type of goals?

NewYorkRangers89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Quote:
Wow, Nash and Parise are two different kinds of players, how are you gonna compare their stats when they don't even score the same type of goals?
That doesn't make any sense at all. Are HL reel goals awarded extra bonus points or something? Goals are goals and they all count the same.

Ruotsalainen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:35 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruotsalainen29 View Post
That doesn't make any sense at all. Are HL reel goals awarded extra bonus points or something? Goals are goals and they all count the same.
Exactly. That might have been one of the dumbest things said on this board in a long time. When the playoffs come and Parise scores a garbage goal in ot im sure no one will care if it has a flare for the dramatics when were heading to the SCF

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:50 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billionaire Bot View Post
The last person you remember saying something three times in succession is from 2000 years ago? You're not trying very hard.

BEETLEJUICE BEETLEJUICE BEETLEJUICE

And so forth.
Biggie Smalls Biggie Smalls Biggie Smalls

-31- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:22 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Slats made the "we don't trade kids' comment after a GMs meeting. You get the feeling Sather spoke to Howson at that meeting and he demanded Kreider(again) plus others for Nash. The Columbus Dispatch beat writer Aaron Portzline in a chat today indicated the BJs don't want a D as the main piece coming back but a forward as the centerpiece. That's Kreider. Sather already offered them Miller. They want multiple forwards but they want a specific player as "the guy". The crowning piece.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:03 PM
ThisYearsModel

Perhaps the Rangers should get Semin. He is a pure sniper. Sure would wind up Torts!

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Perhaps the Rangers should get Semin. He is a pure sniper. Sure would wind up Torts!
Torts would have no hair by the end of game 1.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:24 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I'd be lying if I said a wasn't disappointed after reading Parise's comments. But...I guess one sigh of relief would be that at least we as fans know that Sather can't grossly overpay for him.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:34 PM
Chief

The more I think about the Nash situation, the more I think the Flyer rumors will win out and Nash joins Philly. It would be such a typical Flyer move and they have the assets. I wonder whether Holmgren parts with JVR, but if his health issues are resolved, JVR, Read and Bobrovsky would be a nice package. Columbus gets a "replacement" for Nash in JVR, another scoring winger in Read and they get a young goalie.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
The more I think about the Nash situation, the more I think the Flyer rumors will win out and Nash joins Philly. It would be such a typical Flyer move and they have the assets. I wonder whether Holmgren parts with JVR, but if his health issues are resolved, JVR, Read and Bobrovsky would be a nice package. Columbus gets a "replacement" for Nash in JVR, another scoring winger in Read and they get a young goalie.
I'd enjoy having JVR on NY.

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:17 PM
KingWantsCup
United we stand

vCash: 50
Parise is not a game breaker. You can't rely on "dirty" goals as much in the playoffs because the ice gets smaller, metaphorically speaking. Albeit he is very good at getting it in the net, it's the way he tends to get it in the net that makes me hesitant about him. He deflects, rebounds, etc. He doesn't make his own chances nearly as much as Nash for instance. We need someone who is talented enough to carry the puck by himself and is a big time sniper. That's what gets you through in the playoffs. I am in favor of Nash, at a reasonable price.

2012 1st
Miller
Dubinsky
Erixon

That is the right price in my book. You NEVER get equal value for a superstar. With that said I think this is as fair of a deal Sather will offer. He's very high on Miller particularly. That's 3 first rounders and a guy who is worth a first rounder.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:20 PM
Lexus Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Torts would have no hair by the end of game 1.

Really? Again, Semin played fine for Dale Hunter (similar system to Torts'). Backchecking, defensively responsible, still a threat on offense. What in the world makes you think it wouldn't work?

Lexus Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:34 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

In all honesty, I think we're likely to see a lineup like this to start the season:

Sign Semin
Sign Schultz

Kreider Richards Semin
Dubinsky Stepan Gaborik
Hagelin Anisimov Callahan
Rupp Boyle Prust
Mitchell

Staal Girardi
McDonagh Schultz
Del Zotto Erixon / McIlrath / Sauer / Stralman

Lundqvist
Biron

Then we re-evaluate our needs in January / February before the deadline and act accordingly.

And in all honesty, I'd be happy with that. Semin has been in Ovechkin's shadow his entire career. He could be the guy WE set up for one-timer after one-timer on the PP and he could score 40-50 playing with Richie and Kreids. I think his attitude/work ethic issues are overblown and he's maturing just like Kovalchuk is as he gets older. I'd give Semin a 3-4 year deal at 5 million cap-hit. I think that's fair for all parties involved.

Thoughts?

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:34 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus Dog View Post
Really? Again, Semin played fine for Dale Hunter (similar system to Torts'). Backchecking, defensively responsible, still a threat on offense. What in the world makes you think it wouldn't work?
His offensive abilities are exactly what the Rangers need, but I'm not sure they'd even take a flyer on him.

He got paid $6.7 M this past season.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:37 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
His offensive abilities are exactly what the Rangers need, but I'm not sure they'd even take a flyer on him.

He only scored 21 goals and 50-something points in the contract year. He can either take a 1year deal to try to up his value, or sign a 3-4 year deal at lower than he's actually worth. Either way works out well for the Rangers, IMO.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:40 PM
Lexus Dog

Quote:

I don't think there's a team out there that gives him that (no not even the Laffs). He should know he's getting a slight paycut...he didn't exactly have a banner year, so maybe down to $5M. Much higher than that and I wouldn't be comfortable.

To me, however, he showed something when he played under Hunter. If he was still floating around the defensive zone doing his best Wolski impression I wouldn't be interested, but I was impressed with his adaptability.

Lexus Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:59 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

I've been quiet on Semin. 2 to 3 year deal with a paycut. Doesn't pan out? Other teams will want.

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote