HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

v19: off-season '12 - Landry Fields agrees to offer sheet (3 years, 19 million)

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ey...deal-no-2-pick

Quote:
The Charlotte Bobcats are eyeing the possibility of dealing the No. 2 overall pick in a trade that would bring a more established player, multiple sources told CBSSports.com.

Rod Higgins and Rich Cho understand that the Bobcats need more than just a talented rookie, whether it be Bradley Beal, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Harrison Barnes, Thomas Robinson or even Andre Drummond -- to make the Bobcats competitive from their laughingstock of a season.

One source said that Oklahoma City's James Harden could be in play due to the Thunder's salary situation following next season. GM Sam Presti already has Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook on the books for more than $29 million next season -- and both Harden and Serge Ibaka will command huge contracts after the 2012-13 campaign.

06-14-2012, 02:42 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Our first + Derozan for their first? Or is that too little?

Old
06-14-2012, 03:05 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Our first + Derozan for their first? Or is that too little?
Might be too little, and might not fit with what they want given they have a ball-dominating combo guard in Kemba Walker, which reduces the backcourt touches for DeRozan.

I wonder if 8th + Davis + 2nd rounder might work. Davis gives them a frontcourt piece to pair with Biyombo, plus he will have some local interest because he went to UNC. And since he's younger than DeRozan, he would appear to have more potential than DeRozan might.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
06-14-2012, 03:08 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Might be too little, and might not fit with what they want given they have a ball-dominating combo guard in Kemba Walker, which reduces the backcourt touches for DeRozan.

I wonder if 8th + Davis + 2nd rounder might work. Davis gives them a frontcourt piece to pair with Biyombo, plus he will have some local interest because he went to UNC. And since he's younger than DeRozan, he would appear to have more potential than DeRozan might.
Yeah plus they'd be getting more then just one piece back. Davis might be able to turn into something with some playing time.. Plus they'd move down a few spots to get another piece. I don't think OKC would be willing to break up their team so quickly. I think they'd try to go for a repeat if they win it this year..

Old
06-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/2012/06/...h_tim_and_sid/

Dwane Casey likes Harrison Barnes, Austin Rivers, Jeremy Lamb, and Dion Waiters at the 8 position.

Says they need to improve the 3 position and would like to find another backup point guard. Not sure what that means for Bayless..

The Raps are modelling their program after OKC.

06-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Bargs + 8th
for
2nd + DJ Augustin

What about that? Too much from us? Too much from them?

Old
06-14-2012, 03:48 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post

Dwane Casey likes Harrison Barnes, Austin Rivers, Jeremy Lamb, and Dion Waiters at the 8 position.

Says they need to improve the 3 position and would like to find another backup point guard. Not sure what that means for Bayless..

I think finding another PG is likely a sign that they would consider trading Calderon, or at least not retaining him after next season. Plus the fact that both Calderon and Bayless have potential injury risks would make for a compelling reason to have a little more insurance at the position. We saw what happened last season in those situations. Gary Forbes running the point, or d-league scrubs like Ben Uzoh or Justin Dentman are not the answer.

and I could live with Barnes, Lamb, or Waiters. Don't want Rivers though.

Quote:
Bargs + 8th
for
2nd + DJ Augustin

What about that? Too much from us? Too much from them?
Ehhhhh..... Not big on Augustin. He's a bad defender and doesn't really stand out as either a scoring PG or a floor general.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:09 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Hypothetically if we do get #2 overall, who do we take?

Beal? MKG(who I'm a big fan of)? Robinson?

Old
06-14-2012, 04:43 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:

I'd take Beal. We need a scorer to take the pressure off Bargs (or whoever else is here if he were to be traded in this scenario). MKG provides lots of other skills, but whether or not he's a top flight scorer is a question mark for him. Robinson is in a similar boat in that he provides a lot of versatility in the front court, but he's maybe not got the upside to be a top-end option.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:

Beal. We need high ceiling talent and a big time scorer. I like MKG but I feel like he's got more of a lower ceiling and is a support type player. He will bring great defense, rebound, great hustle and some scoring. It sounds a little bit like Gerald Wallace which isn't bad but Raps need a guy that can take over the game towards the end and create plays for himself and others.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:35 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

I would kill if the Raptors could somehow get the #2 and swipe Kyle Lowry away from the Rockets.

Maybe:

To Charlotte
8th overall
Ed Davis
2012 2nd

To Toronto
2nd overall (draft Beal)
Tyrus Thomas (bad contract/salary offload from Charlotte)

and

To Houston
Pau Gasol (from LA)

To Los Angeles Lakers
Jose Calderon (from Toronto)
Luis Scola (from Houston)

To Toronto
Kyle Lowry (from Houston)
RFA rights to SF Chase Budinger (from Houston)

New lineup

Lowry/Bayless
DeRozan/Beal/Forbes
J. Johnson/Budinger/Kleiza
Bargnani/Thomas
Gray/Valanciunas
+ Amir as a 4/5 hybrid player.

Yes please.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:05 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

I'll give it a shot:

To Charlotte:
Bargnani
8th overall

To Toronto:
2nd overall
Augustin

To Houston:
Augustin
Toronto 1st 2013 (top-10 protected)

To Toronto:
Kyle Lowry
2nd 2012

To Portland:
PG Jose Calderon

To Toronto:
RFA PF JJ Hickson
SF Luke Babbitt

Lowry/Bayless
DeRozan/Beal
Johnson/Babbitt
Hickson/Davis/Amir
Valanciunas/Gray/Amir

Now before people kill me over Hickson, let me explain. Before the nightmare season in Sacremento, Hickson was developing into a pretty good player. With Portland he went 15 and 8, and in Cleveland before that he went 14 and 8. In Sacremento he sucked no doubt, but he didn't get a lot of game time. The guy attacks the rim, scores off high percentage shots, can grab boards and gives 110% every game. He's also decent on the defensive end.

Have at it.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:21 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Austin Rivers really sucked up to Toronto toady after workouts. He talked up how much he would like to be with teh Raptors, how he thinks he could fit in well, how much he likes the city, and how much his dad likes the city/team and Coach Casey.

The dumb thing is that it kinda worked. I'm less venomously against picking him now than I was this afternoon. Granted I still don't really want him to be taken if there are any # of other guys on the board, but I think that if it did happen now, I could probably live with it.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:29 PM
Eytinge

I don't see Davis+8th+2nd being enough. 2nd rounders in the nba are meh.

I don't know what Casey means when he said our team is being built like OKC. OKC did the smart thing and got real bad and spent minimum time in the lottery, but picked very high. Durant 2nd, Westbrook 4th, Harden 3rd.

This team has spent 4 years being in late lottery contention save for last year. And none of demar, ED or Val come close to any of OKC's big three. I'd kill to get James Harden though. He's everything you want in a SG. Big, strong, fast, has a sick handle, can shoot from deep, drive the lane and a good playmaker. Too bad BC made the Marion trade and he helped our team slip outta that range with that 9-4 run to end that year.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:42 PM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Austin Rivers really sucked up to Toronto toady after workouts. He talked up how much he would like to be with teh Raptors, how he thinks he could fit in well, how much he likes the city, and how much his dad likes the city/team and Coach Casey.

The dumb thing is that it kinda worked. I'm less venomously against picking him now than I was this afternoon. Granted I still don't really want him to be taken if there are any # of other guys on the board, but I think that if it did happen now, I could probably live with it.
I wont mind him at all either.

06-15-2012, 12:25 AM
Eytinge

Don't let that talk fool you. No matter how well he speaks of Toronto, he's still a chucker with bad court vision and terrible defense. He really should have stayed another year with Coach K.

Old
06-15-2012, 05:04 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Michael Wilbon is a fool. On the half-time show he said the Thunder have absolutely no chance in coming back... well, what happened? You never GIVE up! Never!

Old
06-15-2012, 08:45 AM
philb613

It's to bad Lamb got hurt in the workout yesterday I really think he or PJIII should be the pick at 8 they're both athletic and extremely talented, they also fill holes on this team a guy in Lamb who can flat out score and PJIII could turn into a poor man's Kevin Durant. The only issue with these guys and why they aren't projected to go higher is character and I think coach Casey could light a fire under both of them so I don't see it being an issue.

Old
06-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

I like Rivers. He has a lot of upside, he just needs some good coaching, which I am now confident we have.

Old
06-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post

Surprised no mention of Lilliard. Been seeing him mocked to us a lot lately.

Old
06-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

If we are staying at 8, I'd rather pick Lamb than go for Rivers or Waiters.

Old
06-15-2012, 08:53 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

just for kicks, here's a look around the media world for how they see the Raptors using that #8 pick if they do indeed keep it:

ESPN (Chad Ford) (Requires Insider subscription)
Dion Waiters

Yahoo Sports/Draftexpress.com
Jeremy Lamb

CBS Sports (Jeff Goodman)
Jeremy Lamb

NBA.com (Scott Howard Cooper)

Dion Waiters

Hoopsworld.com (4 contributing writers)
2x Damian Lillard (Joel Brigham & Steve Kyler)
2x Jeremy Lamb (Yannis Koutroupis & Alex Raskin)

Hoopshype.com/NBAdraft.net (Aran Smith)
Jeremy Lamb

If you've got other suggestions for reputable media sites that do mocks (NBC doesn't seem to offer one. And Bleacher Report sucks), lemme know and I'll append the list.

Consensus seems to be Lamb, then Waiters, then Lillard.

Old
06-16-2012, 12:44 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...rk-knicks-team

Quote:
"I wasn't gonna take that job; that's for sure," he told HBO's "Real Sports" in an interview scheduled to air Tuesday night.

Jackson -- who won 11 championships as coach of the Bulls and Lakers -- said Knicks owner James Dolan never called him about the job.

Jackson, 66, was a member of two Knicks championship teams and said he has thought about coaching in New York, but wouldn't want to lead the current team because it's "clumsy."

"They don't fit together well. (Amare) Stoudemire doesn't fit well with Carmelo (Anthony)," said Jackson, when asked to expand on "clumsy." "Stoudemire's a really good player. But he's gotta play in a certain system and a way.

"Carmelo has to be a better passer. And the ball can't stop every time it hits his hands. They need to have someone come in that can kinda blend that group together."
lol, burn.

Old
06-16-2012, 01:07 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Love Phil Jackson.

What do you guys think of SG Terrence Ross from Washington? He's the one guy I might take instead of Lamb if we stay at 8.

Also, Cavs interested in Weems. We hold his rights.

Old
06-16-2012, 01:16 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

it's hilarious that the Knicks were basically so full of themselves that all their fans believed they'd assemble their own big 3 and get Phil Jackson and crush the league like Miami. And what do they have to show for themselves? No coach, the broken shell of Amare Stoudemire, the horribly inefficient offensive black hole that is Carmelo Anthony, and the conviction that Jeremy Lin is their savior and superstar-in-waiting.

Closed Thread