HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Roster Thoughts and Offseason Speculation for the 2012-2013 Season

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2012, 03:38 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
IPS. watch the handshake line at the end, Sutter whispers something in Parise's ear and Parise pulls back, smiles and laughs, then skates away. I wonder what he told him hahahaha
"After the morning drills at training camp, we will be heading down to the beach for picnics everyday." "We also have pie and punch after the afternoon practice."

Old
06-13-2012, 04:12 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

"Up next for the Los Angeles Kings: First, a parade. Then, the pursuit of free agent Zach Parise come July 1."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../19868161.html

'The Devils defence couldn’t match the Los Angeles defence in the Final. And the Kings now hope to replicate that kind of honest intensity, but that’s the real challenge going forward. Just ask the Boston Bruins about that. They seemed set a year ago to make another Cup push. But they couldn’t find the collective team hunger a year later. The Kings are hoping to go to school on the Bruins one year run.

Which is why Parise is so important to them. They love the way he competes. They love his skill level and natural leadership. While Parise has yet to speak openly about his future, the word that has filtered down to NHL general managers is that his No. 1 consideration in choosing a location next year is finding a team that just won’t challenge for the Stanley Cup next year, but will challenge every year.

What team is better set up to win than the Kings? Maybe the Penguins, but their need is on defence. Maybe the Red Wings, but they just lost Nick Lidstrom and Brad Stuart. Maybe the Rangers, but they’re thin up front when compared to Los Angeles. "

The Los Angeles Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions
Old
06-13-2012, 04:24 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Whatever happens, it should be interesting. LA has more to offer UFAs besides beaches and warm weather now!

Old
06-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Los Angeles View Post
this is what im doing if im DL. invite zach and the fiancee out for a few days and show them their next possible house right on the beach. then have a dinner with mike richards (who seems to have been able to transition from the east coast ok) and have him describe what its like to be able to have a large group of fans while not being bothered by the masses(like how it is for east coast stars i asssume). he also describes what its like to live in Los Angeles. then you show the finacee rodeo drive and the shopping and the restaurants that are available on it. then you let them take a look at the schools. say hardvard westlake or loyola or mayfield when it comes time to send their child to high school.

DL is going to need to use all the leverage of being located in one of the most desired places to live on the globe to be able to get zach
Just put the Stanley Cup on Dean's desk.

Old
06-14-2012, 02:35 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Parise this, Suter that.

July 1st will be ruled by one man and his name is Jeff Finger.

Old
06-14-2012, 02:51 AM
Ron
Kings Fan Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Parise this, Suter that.

July 1st will be ruled by one man and his name is Jeff Finger.
Ha ha, you got me to look him up.

Yeesh.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:03 AM
SCARFACE909

Parise would be great but you think they'd be able to afford him at 7M? They need to sign Quick and Brown is up in 2 years as well, also don't assume the cap will be 70.3M as of right now it will be but I bet after a new CBA is worked out it's going to drop so you have to be aware and careful of that. Parise would be nice, but not if it means one of Brown or Quick has to go because of it.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:57 AM
AKAY47
Philly West Fan

Let's all be honest, even though we don't have room for him, we all know Lombardi has a man-crush on Mike Knuble and will try his hardest to sign him

Old
06-14-2012, 08:03 AM
AKAY47
Philly West Fan

Also, it's nice to know that if Stoll decides to take more money elsewhere, there are guys like Chris Kelly (who's 4 year/12M didn't go through) and Paul Gaustad are on the market.

I don't like the idea of just sitting back and not doing anything on July 1st simply because we won the Cup. This team still has holes, whether you like it or not, I mean LW2 was a mess all season long, Penner was horrendous and Gagné is never healthy. The team has potential to be successful for several years and I know Quick and Brown's contract are coming up but we have 16M in cap space as it is. I don't think we re-sign Penner, but Stoll should depending on if it's a good deal (2-3M?). This is why I think getting Parise would be the perfect fit

Old
06-14-2012, 08:30 AM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Also, it's nice to know that if Stoll decides to take more money elsewhere, there are guys like Chris Kelly (who's 4 year/12M didn't go through) and Paul Gaustad are on the market.

I don't like the idea of just sitting back and not doing anything on July 1st simply because we won the Cup. This team still has holes, whether you like it or not, I mean LW2 was a mess all season long, Penner was horrendous and Gagné is never healthy. The team has potential to be successful for several years and I know Quick and Brown's contract are coming up but we have 16M in cap space as it is. I don't think we re-sign Penner, but Stoll should depending on if it's a good deal (2-3M?). This is why I think getting Parise would be the perfect fit
Kelly is signed it just can't be official until July 1st.

Again the 16M in cap space is tricky because more than likely the cap will be going down after the new CBA, Parise would be nice but not if it means trouble re-signing Quick and Brown.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:36 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../19868161.html

While Parise has yet to speak openly about his future, the word that has filtered down to NHL general managers is that his No. 1 consideration in choosing a location next year is finding a team that just won’t challenge for the Stanley Cup next year, but will challenge every year.

If this is true, then there's no reason for him to re-sign with the Devils and 40-year-old Brodeur. It's obviously our team, and no, that's not an opinion.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:00 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
I don't like the idea of just sitting back and not doing anything on July 1st simply because we won the Cup.
The Kings won't do nothing. But, the chances of Parise are as good as the chances of a team winning 10 consecutive road games, and going up 3-0 against 4 different teams in the same post-season.

Both just based on history. Teams don't do what the Kings did in the playoffs. Free agents of Parise's caliber don't sign too far west.

If Parise actually ends up on the Kings, great. It would go against history though. Which the Kings have already done once in this season, so we'll see where that lightning strikes.

Old
06-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

http://twitter.com/curtiszupke/statu...67904073289728
Quote:
Dustin Penner on the chances of him re-signing: "I’d say they’re pretty good. I want to be back."

Old
06-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
As true as that statement could be, it comes down to which GM will throw mad money at his face; temptation to take the money and run is and will always be there.

Old
06-14-2012, 03:50 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
As true as that statement could be, it comes down to which GM will throw mad money at his face; temptation to take the money and run is and will always be there.
I may be reading Penner all wrong, but I think he feels he made a big mistake in leaving Anaheim for Edmonton, and he doesn't want to repeat it.

Does Dean want him back though?

Old
06-14-2012, 03:54 PM
KingCanadain1976

I don't see both stoll and penner coming back and taking a run at parise or another name player. As much as i would love to see dustin come back ( i really think he will turn it around next year at minimum 20 20 40 points with the right team or hear) if its between him and stoll we need stoll alot more. His penalty kill and face wins are just to important to this team.

Old
06-14-2012, 03:56 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

It is very possible for Penner to respond with a strong and productive season under the coaching and motivation of Darryl Sutter and with a spot on LA's second scoring line with Richards and Carter for a full season.

If Penner accepts a reasonable contract at around $3M to $3.5M, it may be worth it to bring him back. He showed his strengths during the playoffs in fending off defensemen and protecting the puck with his body. He adds the size and strength needed on the second line.

Old
06-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I may be reading Penner all wrong, but I think he feels he made a big mistake in leaving Anaheim for Edmonton, and he doesn't want to repeat it.

And I hope that is the case with Penner, I'm hoping he understands that the Kings, unlike the Ducks and Hawks, have a great young core signed for the foreseeable future. I've always had faith in him even when he was having trouble in the regular season, struggling with a divorce and all. No doubt he came up big in the playoffs, I know Dean understands that. Dustin worked hard in the off-season to trim weight and lost plenty of pounds doing so, which showed his commitment.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:35 PM
SLang

I must be in the minority. I think Penner's gonna sign with us, and on a cap-friendly deal, too.

I think Stoll's more likely to go elsewhere, new house notwithstanding. Although a whipping boy here many times, I think other teams covet his skills.

Would be happy if both stayed. Stoll's slotted in a place where he can succeed (plus you can't underscore the importance of FO wins and how they relate to possession), and I have a wierd feeling Penner's turned the corner.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
And I hope that is the case with Penner, I'm hoping he understands that the Kings, unlike the Ducks and Hawks, have a great young core signed for the foreseeable future. I've always had faith in him even when he was having trouble in the regular season, struggling with a divorce and all. No doubt he came up big in the playoffs, I know Dean understands that. Dustin worked hard in the off-season to trim weight and lost plenty of pounds doing so, which showed his commitment.
Sutter was the best thing to happen to Penner this season.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 1888
I don't think Penner would be saying this unless he's already talked with Dean in some fashion about returning.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:

Thats the impression I get from him too.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:44 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

As I said earlier if we can get "playoff Penner" for 60 of the 82 regular season games, then I am all for having him back on something like a 2 year deal that has a cap hit of around $3M.

The guy would score 20 goals quite easily playing with Richards and Carter if he is well motivated.

BTW, someone over on LGK that claims to have a connection to Stoll says that he will re-sign with the Kings.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:59 PM
DaAnimal

Quote:
PS. watch the handshake line at the end, Sutter whispers something in Parise's ear and Parise pulls back, smiles and laughs, then skates away. I wonder what he told him hahahaha
"Hey Zacho, we're headed to vegas after our Stanley Cup parade, I look forward to seeing you there and we'll show you a good time."

Old
06-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
As I said earlier if we can get "playoff Penner" for 60 of the 82 regular season games, then I am all for having him back on something like a 2 year deal that has a cap hit of around $3M.

The guy would score 20 goals quite easily playing with Richards and Carter if he is well motivated.

BTW, someone over on LGK that claims to have a connection to Stoll says that he will re-sign with the Kings.
The Stoll bit doesn't surprise me one bit. Dean Lombardi and Ron Hextall have both spoken highly of him and his leadership and willingness to do anything for the team. It was almost accepted by many that he'd be re-signed.

As for Penner, I could definitely see him gaining his scoring touch again with a 25+ goal season. These guys are no longer going to be handcuffed by a restrictive system that stifles a free flowing attack in the offensive zone.

Closed Thread