HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eric Gelinas

Old
06-14-2012, 01:21 PM
EnglishDevil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidRobot View Post
Ahhh, the Urbom hype train was awesome. He was our big, fast #1 PMD with a rocket from the point.

Then he stepped on the ice.
Not quite sure i'd ever use that word to describe Urbom; although it's probably a bit premature to write him off entirely. He seemed reasonably decent offensively in his short stints with us, but coned defensively on multiple occasions by faster/skilled forwards.

Still, he might eventually find himself a role in the NHL, though i do remember some of the more optimistic expectations for him I think at this point i'd settle for him being a solid bottom pairing guy, although with our logjam on defence and Merrill, Larsson, Gelinas and others passing him on our prospect depth chart at the same position; it's increasing unlikely he'll ever get a real shot with us.

EnglishDevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:23 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Our Urbom hype thread was similar to the Rags' Erixon + Sens' Rundblad threads

DID WELL IN SWEDEN/JUNIOR

DEMOLISH NHL

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Buggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishDevil View Post
Not quite sure i'd ever use that word to describe Urbom; although it's probably a bit premature to write him off entirely. He seemed reasonably decent offensively in his short stints with us, but coned defensively on multiple occasions by faster/skilled forwards.

Still, he might eventually find himself a role in the NHL, though i do remember some of the more optimistic expectations for him I think at this point i'd settle for him being a solid bottom pairing guy, although with our logjam on defence and Merrill, Larsson, Gelinas and others passing him on our prospect depth chart at the same position; it's increasing unlikely he'll ever get a real shot with us.
I could be wrong, but was Urbom not in a top-pairing, shut-down role for us? Doesn't seem like Gelinas has surpassed him. Merrill hasn't even played pro yet.

Buggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:34 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Urbom is ahead in the pecking order. BEhind Taormina, but that can quickly change and I expect it will @ camp

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
To be fair, part of the Urbom hypetrain was due to comments made by Lou and Lemaire that identified him as our best prospect. If we can't go by their judgment, whose can we trust?

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Devils731

Urbom is also only 21 with 10 or so NHL games under his belt, and 2 solid AHL seasons, that's not a bad resume for a 21 year old defenseman.

Devils731 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:47 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

i still have very high hopes for urbom. the next 1-2 years of his development will be crucial

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:49 PM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils731 View Post
Urbom is also only 21 with 10 or so NHL games under his belt, and 2 solid AHL seasons, that's not a bad resume for a 21 year old defenseman.
Urbom's going to be real solid for us.
I saw both of his goals at The Rock too.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:42 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Urbom is a lock to be a smooth skating shutdown defenseman that can move the puck, in my opinion. Tallinder's actually a great comp.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:14 PM
SteveCangialosi123

LOL@ people who think Urbom is a bust. HE'S 21! It takes years for defensemen to develop, people. I don't think any of Urbom, Gelinas, or Burlon will get a spot on the roster for at least 2 years. Not being able to make a Stanley Cup contending team as a 21 or 22 year old isn't the end of the world, guys. My prediction is that Urbom becomes a slightly less mobile and more physical Tallinder in his prime and Gelinas becomes a number 4 or 5 defenseman who can play the PP. Both will be big parts of this team in the future in my opinion.

SteveCangialosi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Urbom is a lock to be a smooth skating shutdown defenseman that can move the puck, in my opinion. Tallinder's actually a great comp.
I agree. Hopefully he can be a tad more physical than Tallinder, but that's gravy.

Rob Nieds work ethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
I'd be very happy with that result, although I think Urbom is more aggressive in his mentality than Tallinder. He loves to pinch deep, and has the skating ability to do it. In DeBoer's system he could thrive.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote