HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Suter's Preferred Destinations in the West

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 04:53 PM
hockeyball

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
So all EC teams are out, Canadian teams are out, Big cities are out.

Sounds like it's pretty much down to Detroit and Nashville, with Minnesota and Colorado as unlikely third parties.
I want to forget the Red Wings exist too, but we've heard Doug Wilson is deffinetly planning on making a pitch (why wouldn't he). So why does San Jose not fit in that description?

Old
06-14-2012, 04:54 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Odd comment, great as the Kings are defenisvely I think that they still only have one legitimate top pairing d-man. it's very rare that a teams defence is so good they'd have "absolutely zero need" for a guy who is probably a top 10 or 15 d-man in the league. And LA surely isn't a situation like that.

But hey, nothing new for cup winning teams to grossly overrate everything about their team.
Quite an arrogant comment. Most King fans that watched the entire season know we have a few holes but also know defense probably isnt one of them. Voynov and Martinez are young and already playing competently. Defense is the least of our issues.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
Nashville, Detroit, Minnesota, St Louis or Colorado.
Pretty much this, although I still dont understand why people are naming Detroit, but I guess they will go hard for him, I just highly doubt he will want to go there.

I think he ends up in Minnesota, but would be like a kid on christmas if he signed with the Avs. Dont think St Louis makes a play for him either though, they seem pretty happy with there Defense with Pietrangelo and Shatty.

Way I see it % wise its like this.

30% Minnesota
20% Detroit
20% Colorado
20% Nashville
5% San Jose
5% Other teams in the West.

At this point, its all but gurnanteed he wont go East and wont go North the border.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
mark off any cities like LA, philly, chicago... and any team from the east
Why? Did he say he didn't want to play for a big city?

I'll admit I havent followed the rumor mill concerning him lately, because honestly the second Lidstrom retired, it made it all but certain he'd be a wing IMO.

Anyone think there's a chance he goes to Anaheim? Desperate need for him there

Old
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Conflicting logic!

But seriously, he'll be a Wing. Lidstrom's replacement. I'm certain of it.
Treat him or anyone else as Lidstrom's "Replacement" and you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Suter will be Suter.

Old
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
It's very refreshing to see a guy refuse to go to the east for his payday. Even if that means he's pretty much already signed in Detroit, which is basically an EC team.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:58 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Pretty much this, although I still dont understand why people are naming Detroit, but I guess they will go hard for him, I just highly doubt he will want to go there.

I think he ends up in Minnesota, but would be like a kid on christmas if he signed with the Avs. Dont think St Louis makes a play for him either though, they seem pretty happy with there Defense with Pietrangelo and Shatty.
Way I see it % wise its like this.

30% Minnesota
20% Detroit
20% Colorado
20% Nashville
5% San Jose
5% Other teams in the West.

At this point, its all but gurnanteed he wont go East and wont go North the border.
While we are extremely happy with Petro and Shatty we still need a top pairing LD to play with Petro, the need is there, the money is another story though.

Old
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by LombardiTool View Post
Quite an arrogant comment. Most King fans that watched the entire season know we have a few holes but also know defense probably isnt one of them. Voynov and Martinez are young and already playing competently. Defense is the least of our issues.
Exactly, which is why i stated that there is no need for Suter when we still need a forward of Parise's caliber to be stanley cup contenders every year for the foreseeable future.

Old
RogerRoeper*

I think Detroit could end up with both Suter and Parise.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:00 PM
The Pwnerer
We are never give up

I doubt he goes to Detroit, old team, playing under the pressure to fill Lidstroms shoes, former teams rival. Yea...just doesn't seem ideal.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Lagoon View Post
Ok, for those of you who say Minnesota, what is the reasoning?
Lots of family there, small city, not alot of media, type of outdoor city he wants to live in, and most importantly, LOTS of Family there.

Seriously, Suter values his family ALOT in this decision, he wants to go somewhere to raise a family, its why he's named out alot of the big cities, they just arent what he wants, for him and his family.

Which, by logic would absolutly rule out Detroit, but with Lidstrom retiring it technically just makes to much sense for it not to happen. But I dont think he ends up there, I think he'll realize that without him Detroit doesnt look very good, and are going down without him and more help in the future, plus Its not the type of city he wants to live in/raise a family.

So, if I were to guess, I would say Minny Nashville, and Colorado, with Minny have the advantage if July 1st comes and he hasnt signed or been traded.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
So all EC teams are out, Canadian teams are out, Big cities are out.

Sounds like it's pretty much down to Detroit and Nashville, with Minnesota and Colorado as unlikely third parties.
I'd suggest that St. Louis, Dallas, and Columbus would also theoretically merit mention in the "unlikely third parties" list (as you have it stated). St. Louis in particular would find him very welcome as a partner for Pietrangelo.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
06-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
It's very refreshing to see a guy refuse to go to the east for his payday. Even if that means he's pretty much already signed in Detroit, which is basically an EC team.
Makes you wonder if it's about location or some difference he sees between conferences.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:02 PM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Bob Mackenzie thinks Edmonton will go hard for Suter...I can't see him signing in Canada though. Or with a non-contender.
I imagine every team will.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
While we are extremely happy with Petro and Shatty we still need a top pairing LD to play with Petro, the need is there, the money is another story though.
Yea well that to haha. I also dont think the need is there as much as the other Teams. Detroit is in the worst shape of all for Dmen, if they dont get Suter, there defense would be attrocious next year. Minny doesnt have a whole lot either, they have some promising young guys who could turn out great, but right now they dont really have a #1 or #2, so Suter would really help. The Avs do have a #1, but right now he's definatly not a Top #1 Dman, more like #1/2 tweener, so adding Suter would not only give us a True #1 Defensive machine, but would also make EJ a #1 to playing next to him.

The Blues already have a #1, and a pretty good one as it is. Plus Shattenkirk who is still young and could easily devellop into a Top pairing guy to.

So, between the Blues salary cap and there current Defense, I just dont think they'll make a huge play for Suter, but I could easily be wrong.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:07 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pwnerer View Post
I doubt he goes to Detroit, old team, playing under the pressure to fill Lidstroms shoes, former teams rival. Yea...just doesn't seem ideal.
Detroit are younger than the 2008 cup year. Team rival doesn't really make sense. Lots of players have gone to rival teams.

Jagr / Philly.
Talbot / Philly.
Chelios / Wings.
Hossa / Hawks.

I could go on all day.

Old
TrillMike

I wonder how big of an offer Dallas will give him. We have lots of cap space and a new owner who's willing to spend.

Old
Hemsky4PM

I can see Minnesota pulling some deals to clear some salary for a big push for both Parise and Suter.

Backstrom ($6M) to Toronto or Tampa Bay.
P-M Bouchard somewhere for a pick.

Then sign Parise and Suter each for about a 6.75M cap hit on very long cap-circumventing deals.

I wouldn't be shocked.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:09 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post
No chance he comes back to music city?
zero.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

???

Although it is worth mentioning that all those signing turned out horribly for the team. Makes you wonder if it's actually worth it to spend big money on UFAs.

Last edited by Muffin: 06-14-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old
06-14-2012, 05:12 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Lagoon View Post
Ok, for those of you who say Minnesota, what is the reasoning?
wife works close to there.. has a farm in wisconsin. minnesota is closest team to there .. and you can real rule out alot of teams and cities by suters personality.

ive met him multiple times.. really nice and laid back. poile confirmed what alot thought and said zero chance he goes anywhere like LA, philly, etc (big cities)

Old
06-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
But I dont think he ends up there, I think he'll realize that without him Detroit doesnt look very good, and are going down without him and more help in the future, plus Its not the type of city he wants to live in/raise a family.
Seriously?
Do you really think Gary is going to be living in south Detroit?
That would be similar to saying he will not go to New York because he does not want to raise his children in South Bronx.

He will live in Grosse Pointe ore anothere similare suburbe. (sorry, my unnecessary "E"'s got away from me there)

Now, the rest of your points (entire defense hinging on him especially) certainly merit consideration.
Quote:
So, if I were to guess, I would say Minny Nashville, and Colorado, with Minny have the advantage if July 1st comes and he hasnt signed or been traded.
I really do not see Colorado having a better than average chance. They are an up and coming team, but I think he is going to want to be on a team which is looking for deep playoff runs now.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:17 PM
J22

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
I can see Minnesota pulling some deals to clear some salary for a big push for both Parise and Suter.

Backstrom ($6M) to Toronto or Tampa Bay.
P-M Bouchard somewhere for a pick.

Then sign Parise and Suter each for about a 6.75M cap hit on very long cap-circumventing deals.

I wouldn't be shocked.
Minnesota could offer both of them 8M per and not have to give the cap a 2nd thought.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:18 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
Minnesota could offer both of them 8M per and not have to give the cap a 2nd thought.
Until their ELC's expire and they have to deal with that nightmare.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Go Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
I think Detroit could end up with both Suter and Parise.
That would be nice. But we'll see what happens who knows.

Closed Thread