HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gomez: What's Being Done?

Old
06-14-2012, 04:08 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 500
Gomez: What's Being Done?

Hello Habs fans,

Sorry to have to create a thread for this, but a bunch of the Habs fans at my office have been talking about this "rumour" that the Habs were in the process of deciding if they would buyout Gomez' contract or keep him.

I've checked the Hab threads for the last couple days and haven't seen anything mentioned (forgive me if I left some rocks un-turned).

Is there any actual news on what's going on?

Personally I would think Gomez is given a chance to play under the new coach before a decision is made (new coach, new system) because I've heard it said that Gomez doesn't play well under the dump-and-chase system that Martin/Cunneyworth employed, and Therrien may have better performances from him.

Thanks for the help/clarifications.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:11 PM
EnglishHab

Forget the new coach and system philosophy! For what this guy has been paid over the course of his contract, if he hasn't produced yet, i think it is clearly time to bite the bullet and can his ass!!!

New Coach and new system, well lets move on from the poorer players within our roster and start looking to add more reliable and better valued pieces!!!

EnglishHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Bergevin said in a report that there's been no decision on Gomez yet.

There's the whole summer and iirc the habs can go up to 10% over the cap without penalty until the season starts.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:12 PM
windycity

My understanding is that Fat Tony will take care of him . . .

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Coldplay
Courage

If we're in a cap crunch, he'll be taken care of. If not, he'll probably be back. IMO.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:20 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Last chance for me imo, assuming he gets the chance under Therrien. Like honestly wtf would we do if he flourished under Therrien and found some chemistry with his linemates...

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4life74 View Post
Last chance for me imo, assuming he gets the chance under Therrien. Like honestly wtf would we do if he flourished under Therrien and found some chemistry with his linemates...
We'd be...happy? lol.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Stradale

I have a feeling hes gonna be back.

Hope not though.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:23 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
I have a feeling hes gonna be back.

Hope not though.
Not to defend him (laugh if you wish), since my expectations are so low, but...it would be amazing if Therrien found a way to revive his career.

I still don't think that'll happen here, but hey, I think Therrien would win a lot of people over if that happened.

More realistically: he needs to go somewhere on a cheap, low-term deal and prove himself again, out of the spotlight.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:27 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

If the Habs bring in enough guys through free agency or trade that his contract needs to be moved they'll either waive him to the AHL, waive him to re-entry and take the 3.7 sting for 2 years, or waive him and allow him to find any team in the league to play for.

Or maybe there's a one time thing (not likely) or buyout rules are changed or modified so it wouldn't hurt as much.

But as it stands it would be a 3.5ish cap hit next year, and a 4.5 cap hit the year after and then you have to use X amount of dollars to fill the roster space you're losing with him bought out...makes no sense so a buy out won't happen.

Also, wouldn't shock me if he just plays wiht th Habs. The trade market is rough and free agency even worse.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Its really hard to speculate anything until the new CBA is decided on. You really can't say what options the team will have yet.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:33 PM
HeShootsHeScores

Keeping him would be a bad business move and a bad hockey move. And I was one of those who thought he'd be a good asset for the team when he was traded here. I thought having gomez and gionta back together was obvious and great actually.

Not so much now.

HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Hello Habs fans,

Sorry to have to create a thread for this, but a bunch of the Habs fans at my office have been talking about this "rumour" that the Habs were in the process of deciding if they would buyout Gomez' contract or keep him.

I've checked the Hab threads for the last couple days and haven't seen anything mentioned (forgive me if I left some rocks un-turned).

Is there any actual news on what's going on?

Personally I would think Gomez is given a chance to play under the new coach before a decision is made (new coach, new system) because I've heard it said that Gomez doesn't play well under the dump-and-chase system that Martin/Cunneyworth employed, and Therrien may have better performances from him.

Thanks for the help/clarifications.
I think that ship has sailed. I like our centers 1-3 and hope we draft another next Friday(Galcheyuk). The only solution for Gomez is to bite the bullet and waive him late summer and allow him to find a spot to play anywhere in the world.

We need his cap room in order to not have to rush young players and bounce back from last year's crappy season.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Its really hard to speculate anything until the new CBA is decided on. You really can't say what options the team will have yet.
Not really.

You can have plan A and plan B...both freeing his 7.35 mil from the 12-13 cap.

Plan A...new CBA has a "free buyout" for 1 player with no cap hit.

Plan B...otherwise spend to 77 mil cap hit and waive him in August. Let him play anywhere he wants other than NHL.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:41 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It would be a mistake to buy him out.

Bury him in the minors where he can still play (as much as ppl dislike him, he has never been known for being a cancer in the locker room), and wait to see what the new CBA says.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Not really.

You can have plan A and plan B...both freeing his 7.35 mil from the 12-13 cap.

Plan A...new CBA has a "free buyout" for 1 player with no cap hit.

Plan B...otherwise spend to 77 mil cap hit and waive him in August. Let him play anywhere he wants other than NHL.
There has been talk of killing the AHL waiver loophole for this CBA, a few low budget teams don't want the high budget ones to have that advantage.

What you can do about that contract really is completely up in the air at this point. You might end up with a painless amnesty buyout, you might end up with less options like a regular buyout, trade or eating the deal for 2 more years. Right now you can't do anything but be prepared to use the best method the new CBA affords you, whatever it ends up being.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:45 PM
LaTenderness

Can u not politely ask him to restructure his contract? It happens all the time in the NFL. If not bury him in the Hammer.

LaTenderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:46 PM
HTTP 400 Bad Request

vCash: 13362
If I'm not mistaken, the Habs can buy him out only during the "buy out window" witch is usually the 2 last weeks of June.

IMO, there's 2 reasons why he might not be bought out :

1) Gomez is well liked in the dressing room, and they might want to see how he will react to a new coach.

2) They might want to wait for the new CBA, and see if it will give them more interesting options.

Personally, I wouldn't be so surprised to see Gomez in a Habs jersey for the training camp.

HTTP 400 Bad Request is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:49 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTenderness View Post
Can u not politely ask him to restructure his contract? It happens all the time in the NFL. If not bury him in the Hammer.
For somebody that craps on others for "watching the games not the boxscores" you should brush up on the rules. In the NHL you can't re-negotiate contracts, the only option is to buy them out which in this case is a bad idea.

I prefer having him play in Europe or for another AHL team so it doesn't cut into our prospects ice time.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
There has been talk of killing the AHL waiver loophole for this CBA, a few low budget teams don't want the high budget ones to have that advantage.

What you can do about that contract really is completely up in the air at this point. You might end up with a painless amnesty buyout, you might end up with less options like a regular buyout, trade or eating the deal for 2 more years. Right now you can't do anything but be prepared to use the best method the new CBA affords you, whatever it ends up being.
Closing the "loophole" could be the best thing. If they do that I'm sure there will be an "amnesty buyout" before the new rules take place. I can't see them changing the rules and not giving teams a should window to get rid of old contracts.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:00 PM
LaTenderness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
For somebody that craps on others for "watching the games not the boxscores" you should brush up on the rules. In the NHL you can't re-negotiate contracts, the only option is to buy them out which in this case is a bad idea.

I prefer having him play in Europe or for another AHL team so it doesn't cut into our prospects ice time.

Haha ok there arms. I was asking the question cause I obviously don't study the rules as closely as you do.

Thanks for the tough guy answer tho

LaTenderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 05:09 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTenderness View Post
Good Luck! There's no "Way In Hell" the players Union would ever let a player do that under the current CBA.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:17 PM
sampollock

as the band Chillawack sang "gone so long, you been gone so long"

see ya

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:27 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:

Getting rid of the AHL loophole would just mean a much higher cap. Killing the AHL loophole would only give more of an advantage to higher budget teams.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:38 PM
charlie

vCash: 358
Does anyone remember watching him over the last couple years. He has totally lost it and a new coach aint going to help.
Hell I cant remember that last time I said "WOW" that Gomez can sure pass the puck as I remember that is what he was brought in to do.
He has been one of the worst puck possession players I have ever seen, sure he can skate down the ice with the puck but that is it.

Nothing is going to change that.
I personally dont want this team going forward with Gomez.
Do whatever we can to start next year Gomezless.

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote