HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadiens sign forward Steve Quailer to entry-level contract

Old
06-14-2012, 03:31 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
Meh, alright prospect.
Lol, you had to make a post to write that?

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:33 PM
northeastern

Sorry for trolling but was just looking for details on this singing. I'm glad to see he signed. I use to talk to him every once in a while when he was at northeastern - lived right down the hall from him freshman year. I will have to poke around once in a while and see how he's doing.

Hopefully he'll grow into a solid nhl player. and then you can trade him to the b's

northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:39 PM
ngc_5128

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Is it? Are there any going in the top 5 with late enough birthdays to go straight to the AHL after 1 more year of Junior?
I was under the impression that junior players can play in the AHL when their junior season is over, even if they are not old enough...is this impression wrong?

ngc_5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:39 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Lol, you had to make a post to write that?
Yes, I really don't get what's the hype about this guy.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

This guy was highly regarded by some posters here before that unfortunate injury he had in a exhibition game. This year he had close to a PPG (25 pts in 26 GP) so if he keeps progressing maybe we can have our own version of Blake Wheeler.

Chris Cutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:50 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Looks great on paper, but it still needs some vet blood in there to keep it honest. Very excited.
Hopefully Gomez will bring that presence..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Trying to make lines for Hamilton gave me a headache though. So many candidates:

Could be in the NHL or back on the farm:

Blake Geoffrion
Louis Leblanc
Aaron Palushaj

Arriving:

Steve Quailer
Brendan Gallagher
Michael Bournival
Patrick Holland

Still under contract:

Alexander Avtsin
Alain Berger
Gabriel Dumont
Philippe Lefebvre
Joonas Nättinen
Ian Schultz

RFAs

Andrew Conboy
Hunter Bishop (Serious non-tender candidate)
Andreas Engqvist (Perhaps back to Sweden?)
Olivier Fortier (non-tender candidate)
Danny Massé (non-tender candidate)
Robert Slaney (Serious non-tender candidate)

Plus with such a young team adding a quality veteran is a must.
I mentioned it in another thread, but if the habs draft Pearson he could go there too. Same if we take Forsberg.

I could definitely see us drafting both.

I was intrigued by Qualier.. I wonder if Walsh will get signed ?

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:53 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngc_5128 View Post
I was under the impression that junior players can play in the AHL when their junior season is over, even if they are not old enough...is this impression wrong?
Not newly drafted kids. Beaulieu could because he has a late birthday. Gallagher could have this year (not last year), but remember that he was drafted a year before Beaulieu. Google 'AHL CHL rule'.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:54 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
If it wasn't for his injury, he'd be a better prospect. Seems obvious, but many are hoping his original projection is still a possibility.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:55 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Hamilton just keeps on getting better. We should Email RDS and have them televise a few games
I'm sure we can play it off like Qualier is a french name.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:57 PM
ngc_5128

Quote:
Not newly drafted kids. Beaulieu could because he has a late birthday. Gallagher could have this year (not last year), but remember that he was drafted a year before Beaulieu. Google 'AHL CHL rule'.
I think I worded that wrong, as I am familiar with the rule. Let me try this again

I don't mean playing in the AHL for good, but just for the last 3 or 4 games + playoffs, then back to junior the next year.

ngc_5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:58 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Okay...

So do you just not get excited about any prospects?

Have you ever actually seen Quailer play?

I haven't. I know he's a 6 foot 4 hockey player who suffered an injury that cost him a year, and upon returning from that injury he managed just 13 points in 38 games. This year he had nearly a PPG status and the Habs just signed him to an ELC which I have to presume means they are at the very least not disgusted with how horribly this prospect has turned out.

So I mean, where's the hype? I've seen long shot and dark horse thrown around in conversations about him today.

Obviously everyone is free to their opinion, Quailer could be demoted to the ECHL by January for all I know...but if you're complaining about the "hype" a habs draftee is getting you're in the wrong place.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:00 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'm sure we can play it off like Qualier is a french name.
I believe Hamilton will Abbbotsford at least 2 times next year, for probably 4 games really excited about seeing them play.

Saw Gallagher play a couple times last year, but didn't see a single Hamilton game as their line up was so underwhelming.

Now looking forward to the Habs signing a guy who will give them the depth to allow Leblanc to play in the AHL next year.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
I think they're allowed to play in the AHL after their CHL season's finished. They can't play in the AHL otherwise. For example Stuart Percy from the 2011 draft played 1 regular season AHL game and 3 AHL playoff games as a 1993 born:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=122896

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:32 PM
SkinsFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
This guy was highly regarded by some posters here before that unfortunate injury he had in a exhibition game. This year he had close to a PPG (25 pts in 26 GP) so if he keeps progressing maybe we can have our own version of Blake Wheeler.
Quailer was by far the most valuable player for Northeastern this year. PP, PK, even strength, all over the ice. He got hurt in the middle of the season which pretty much killed NU's season. The game he came back they looked like a completely different team.

SkinsFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Et le But

I think I'm more excited about Hamilton than the Habs this year.

Is this what Leafs fans feel like?

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Always been a fan of Quailer. Really happy for him and now I am REALLY looking forward to the Bulldogs' upcoming season. Man, is that's a Calder Cup calibre team or what?
In a few years perhaps but with all these rookies, don't expect them to win that many games.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:47 PM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I think I'm more excited about Hamilton than the Habs this year.

Is this what Leafs fans feel like?
No they are excited every year until they are eliminated from entering the playoffs.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
Quailer was by far the most valuable player for Northeastern this year. PP, PK, even strength, all over the ice. He got hurt in the middle of the season which pretty much killed NU's season. The game he came back they looked like a completely different team.
If you project his numbers over a full season he would have been in the top 10 or close at year end.

Kreider Hockey East 11-12

45 GP 23-22-45 66 PIMs

Quailer Hockey East 11-12

26 GP 8-17-25 34 PIMs

Plus Kreider had 5 teammates at 36 points or more. Quailer's best teammate had 26 points.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Bud2790

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Only Forsberg or Teravainen could join and Kristo if North Dakota doesn't make the Final Four.ND has Jordan Schmaltz signed for next season which will give their team a huge boost on defence.Quailer is going to be a great addition for Hamilton,he would look good on a line with Holland and Gallagher.
Even if makes it to the final four, I think he can still join. Kreider joined the Rangers after winning the championship.

Bud2790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Scotianhab

Great to see Quailer sign. It will definitely be fun to see all these rookies in Hamilton this year.

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 05:00 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
That's really exciting to hear.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:02 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 64
We all knew he was a long shot.

He kinda looks like Dagenais lol

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Only Forsberg or Teravainen could join and Kristo if North Dakota doesn't make the Final Four.ND has Jordan Schmaltz signed for next season which will give their team a huge boost on defence.Quailer is going to be a great addition for Hamilton,he would look good on a line with Holland and Gallagher.
Actually, I think a junior eligible player can still join the AHL team after his junior team is eliminated. Years ago, I remember Turner Stevenson doing it. Although things might have changed since then. Turner played the year in Seattle. Played the playoffs in Fredericton. Played the next season in Seattle again. Then he didn't come back for Fredericton's playoffs as his Seattle went deaper in the WHL playoffs.

I'd be surprised if the Bulldogs were a good team next year. Too big of a turnover, and the team is too young. Although those young guys will get some valuable experience playing some important minutes this year. For those looking at this as a development team, it should be a good year. Those looking for results could be disappointed.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 05:16 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
Actually, I think a junior eligible player can still join the AHL team after his junior team is eliminated. Years ago, I remember Turner Stevenson doing it. Although things might have changed since then. Turner played the year in Seattle. Played the playoffs in Fredericton. Played the next season in Seattle again. Then he didn't come back for Fredericton's playoffs as his Seattle went deaper in the WHL playoffs.

I'd be surprised if the Bulldogs were a good team next year. Too big of a turnover, and the team is too young. Although those young guys will get some valuable experience playing some important minutes this year. For those looking at this as a development team, it should be a good year. Those looking for results could be disappointed.
I wouldn't be so sure of that at all. I'm sure the Habs will bring in some AHL veteran guys and they have a few returnees who should put up big big minutes as well, who aren't overly old either.

Lots of healthy competition in Hamilton next year for sure either way though.