HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Suter's Preferred Destinations in the West

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

vCash: 500
Suter is maximizing his leverage here because he knows he'll get what he wants to play where he wants-and that's even by drastically reducing the number of potential markets (i.e. no east coast, big cities, etc.). To me, Nashville seems like the ideal location for a guy like him, but there must be something holding him back. Not wanting to play second fiddle to Weber? Detroit also makes a lot of sense, as does the Wild.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:20 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Odd comment, great as the Kings are defenisvely I think that they still only have one legitimate top pairing d-man. it's very rare that a teams defence is so good they'd have "absolutely zero need" for a guy who is probably a top 10 or 15 d-man in the league. And LA surely isn't a situation like that.

But hey, nothing new for cup winning teams to grossly overrate everything about their team.
I agree the kings don't have a need for him. They have a young group of defenseman coming to offset the costs of signing others to raises as suderi greene and mitchell depart. The kings have one defensive defenseman and one offensive defenseman together. I would argue if u use this system suderi is one of the best defensive defenseman there is. Thus making him a legit top pairing defenseman. Just cause the defenseman isnt putting up 50 points doesnt mean hes any less of a top pairing defenseman. The 6+ millon to sign sutter would be better spent on a lw and saved for the raise quick deserves

Old
06-14-2012, 04:21 PM
J22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Until their ELC's expire and they have to deal with that nightmare.
Backstrom, Cullen, and Bouchard clear almost 14M next year. Heatley's $ comes off or atleast down the following year.

Old
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Seriously, Suter values his family ALOT in this decision, he wants to go somewhere to raise a family, its why he's named out alot of the big cities, they just arent what he wants, for him and his family.

Which, by logic would absolutly rule out Detroit, but with Lidstrom retiring it technically just makes to much sense for it not to happen. But I dont think he ends up there, I think he'll realize that without him Detroit doesnt look very good, and are going down without him and more help in the future, plus Its not the type of city he wants to live in/raise a family.
Will this be the millionth time Bloomfield Hills is mentioned to extinguish this stupid point?

Old
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
wife works close to there.. has a farm in wisconsin. minnesota is closest team to there .. and you can real rule out alot of teams and cities by suters personality.

ive met him multiple times.. really nice and laid back. poile confirmed what alot thought and said zero chance he goes anywhere like LA, philly, etc (big cities)
Okay, but is Suter already thinking about his retirement home at 27? I figure he'd leave Nashville because of a better chance to win. Minnesota has an interesting farm but the current team is average and all in all it's a sideway move at best for the next five years compared to Nashville.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:22 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
zero.
Based on what? Your own, uneducated opinion? You've been pooping out the mouth about this for months on the Nashville board, but when you post it where other people can see it, it starts getting treated as fact-- which it's not.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:23 PM
Noldo

Quote:
Well, before Minny's important ELCs (Granlund, Brodin, this years 7th overall pick) expire, practically every other deal with exception of Koivu's have expired as well, so that will not be an issue. Whether paying Suter and Parise 8 per is smart thing to do is nevertheless another question.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:24 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
Minnesota could offer both of them 8M per and not have to give the cap a 2nd thought.
Hope they do, Minny has a few young players I would love to have on my team when they have to fire sale off all their young star players because of overpaying the other two.

Please Minny, do it!!! Be the next Chicago

Old
06-14-2012, 04:27 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
By then, we'll probably have Bäckström's $6 million contract of the books as well as Pierre-Marc's $4+ millions. That gives us $10 million to sign our kids + whatever gap we have left IF we sign Suter/Parise/both.

Then again, if Latendresse signs to Minnesota (he's RFA but we won't most likely qualify him for $2,5 million due to his injury history) and GMCF offers him a 1 year "prove it" contract and he succeeds, he will get a significant raise as well.

Realistically, I could see Minnesota offering Parise $8 million/5 year contract and Suter $7,25 million/8 year contract.

Old
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Okay, but is Suter already thinking about his retirement home at 27? I figure he'd leave Nashville because of a better chance to win. Minnesota has an interesting farm but the current team is average and all in all it's a sideway move at best for the next five years compared to Nashville.
suter said whoever he signs with, he wants to end his career there

Old
hockeyball

Quote:
Apparently he wants wherever he signs to be his final team, even at 27. Which is another reason I'm am kind of suspicious that he would choose Detroit.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:28 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Based on what? Your own, uneducated opinion? You've been pooping out the mouth about this for months on the Nashville board, but when you post it where other people can see it, it starts getting treated as fact-- which it's not.
call it a strong hunch.

i understand where you are coming from.. PM me. im not able to

Old
06-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Forgot about Heatley's contract coming off the books, my bad.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

vCash: 622
I'll revise my list. I still think Nashville is by far the most likely team to sign him (the only team that actually can sign him for quite a while, just a matter of getting the contract sorted out), but I trust the knowledgable Nashville poster quite a bit. So I'm conflicted, but I'll take his word for the purpose of this very official list.

Suter's Probable Destinations:
Minnesota - 35%
Detroit - 30%
St Louis - 15%
Colorado - 15%
San Jose - 5%

Old
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
I've read a lot about Suter's unwillingness to play under any unnecessary pressure (replacing a certain legend in a certain NHL city might be just that IMHO). Is there any truth in that Preds fans?

Old
Falco5

Quote:
Actually this is the one thing we do know to be true. He has stated that he wants the next city he plays in to be his last. He wants to settle down there.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:31 PM
cubsfan999

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Odd comment, great as the Kings are defenisvely I think that they still only have one legitimate top pairing d-man. it's very rare that a teams defence is so good they'd have "absolutely zero need" for a guy who is probably a top 10 or 15 d-man in the league. And LA surely isn't a situation like that.

But hey, nothing new for cup winning teams to grossly overrate everything about their team.
But hey, nothing new for you to trash talk LA.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
apparently he wants wherever he signs to be his final team, even at 27. Which is another reason i'm am kind of suspicious that he would choose detroit.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:32 PM
StarsCaptainOU

Dallas will throw a lot of money at him and we all know money talks.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post
I'll revise my list. I still think Nashville is by far the most likely team to sign him (the only team that actually can sign him for quite a while, just a matter of getting the contract sorted out), but I trust the knowledgable Nashville poster quite a bit. So I'm conflicted, but I'll take his word for the purpose of this very official list.

Suter's Probable Destinations:
Minnesota - 35%
Detroit - 30%
St Louis - 15%
Colorado - 15%
San Jose - 5%
My feeling is that he wants to see what's he can get on the market.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsCaptainOU View Post
Dallas will throw a lot of money at him and we all know money talks.
Lots of farm land in that area, not to mention a Cup contending team.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:34 PM
NoNecksCurse

its odd to be able to narrow a list down before july 1st like this with a marquee guy like suter.. but all signs, quotes, etc point to it being a short list.

im guessing minnesota or detroit as the final two. and whoever has the better deal in terms of lengths and specifics. im expecting the money per year to be about equal from most teams (7.5-8 million).. unless the cap goes down

Old
06-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Jerzey Devil

What exactly is a "Well placed source"?

Not saying the rumor isn't true but that sounds a little fishy.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Unagi

I hope Ducks GM Bob Murray at least calls him/his agent.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:42 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Unlike others, I don't mean it in a 'detroit sucks' kind of way. I just mean it seems like an odd place for someone to choose to 'retire' to, especially with what it sounds like Suter is looking for. I realize they have suburbs and nice areas, but it still isnt a place I would choose (and I have similar preferences to what it sounds like Suter has for a place to live, I live in Reno NV at the moment for instance).

It just seems like Minnesota, Colorado, San Jose, St Louis... sound like better places to raise a family from his perspective.

Closed Thread