HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Suter's Preferred Destinations in the West

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Bob Mackenzie thinks Edmonton will go hard for Suter...I can't see him signing in Canada though. Or with a non-contender.
I don't think he likes the publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Suter's going to Detroit, Parise's staying in New Jersey. Book it.
HockeyTown USA....nope

My darkhorse pick....... Dallas. Big city yes, but not much publicity for hockey there

Old
06-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Unagi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
It just seems like Minnesota... sound like better places to raise a family from his perspective.
I agree. Since he is from there and provided he had a happy childhood, he could want the same for his children. It is only logical.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Unlike others, I don't mean it in a 'detroit sucks' kind of way. I just mean it seems like an odd place for someone to choose to 'retire' to, especially with what it sounds like Suter is looking for. I realize they have suburbs and nice areas, but it still isnt a place I would choose (and I have similar preferences to what it sounds like Suter has for a place to live, I live in Reno NV at the moment for instance).

It just seems like Minnesota, Colorado, San Jose, St Louis... sound like better places to raise a family from his perspective.
St. Louis isn't much better of a city than Detroit. Not too long ago they were competing for murder/crime capital of the U.S. (Which I believe belongs to ATL now)

Bloomfield Hills is a good area, the education quality in the burbs is insane. One of my friends has a relative that teaches in the area and actually taught a class with Eminem's daughter. The most I've heard is that she is taken care of "very well".

And to boot, if he were to retire in Detroit he's pretty much guaranteed a job in the organization if he wants one.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Arrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
I'll play devils advocate and argue the point that players can just live in the suburbs.

That's true with every NHL city. He would still spend a lot of his time in a main city with practice, games, charity events or other activities with his family. It's not just a matter of where he and his family sleep at night.

With that said, while it is short sided to say He can just live in the nice neighborhood, it's just as bad saying he'll base his decision off of the city's perception alone. Detroit may be the butt of all the jokes, but that's not going to stop him from doing research to see how true it is or if it even applies to his situation.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:46 PM
TrillMike

Quote:
Lots of farm land in that area, not to mention a Cup contending team.
It sure is a better area of the country to live. Especially compared to Detroit. I'll take not living in one of the top places to become broke or get murdered any day of the week.

Old
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNoire View Post
I agree. Since he is from there and provided he had a happy childhood, he could want the same for his children. It is only logical.
Did the other guy misspell Wisconsin?

Old
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Will this be the millionth time Bloomfield Hills is mentioned to extinguish this stupid point?
Well, its a terrible argument really, so theres no point to keep saying it.

Every single city in the world is going to have its rich, safe suburbs, but that doesnt change the fact that Detroit in general is a dangerous city(in relative terms). Denver will have neighborhoods just like Bloomfield Hills in Detroit. The difference, Denver as an entire city is pretty safe, small, and has a great backdoors for Suter to enjoy. Detroit, simply put, does not.

Again, you dont need to go cry, Im sure Detroit still has a good shot at signing Suter, but if everything thats been said about Suters preferences is true, then Detroit would be one of the last teams he would want to sign with. Without Suter, theres nothing going for them at this point, With Suter its a different story.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
It sure is a better area of the country to live. Especially compared to Detroit. I'll take not living in one of the top places to become broke or get murdered any day of the week.
Because Suter is definitely worried about becoming broke and the one violent crime that took place in BF Hills in 2010.

Last edited by Wingsfan2965*: 06-14-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old
06-14-2012, 04:49 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
Until their ELC's expire and they have to deal with that nightmare.
That's when Backstrom (6M), Cullen (3M), Bouchard (4M) and Heatley (7M) are off the books. I don't think we need to worry too hard about the cap, atm.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Really hoping GMJN gets the green light to throw some good money at Suter, come July 1st.

Could even see the Stars trading for his rights, just to get that first crack at him.

06-14-2012, 04:54 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Well, its a terrible argument really, so theres no point to keep saying it.

Every single city in the world is going to have its rich, safe suburbs, but that doesnt change the fact that Detroit in general is a dangerous city(in relative terms). Denver will have neighborhoods just like Bloomfield Hills in Detroit. The difference, Denver as an entire city is pretty safe, small, and has a great backdoors for Suter to enjoy. Detroit, simply put, does not.

Again, you dont need to go cry, Im sure Detroit still has a good shot at signing Suter, but if everything thats been said about Suters preferences is true, then Detroit would be one of the last teams he would want to sign with. Without Suter, theres nothing going for them at this point, With Suter its a different story.
And yet oddly enough they're still always around the top of the player's poll....

Old
06-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Why would SJ offer him anything?

They already have a pretty much set D core.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confound View Post

Boyle isn't getting much younger...

Old
06-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
He is going to Chicago, St. Louis, Minnesota, or Detroit. The nearest cities from his hometown Madison.

Chicago does not have capspace, and not so big need for him. Also Suter doesn't like big Cities.

Minnesota plays at Northwest, maybe he doesn't want to go to Canada that often.

Maybe St. Louis aren't willing to spend that much money yet.

I think he likes to stay at Central and goes to Detroit.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:02 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
St. Louis isn't much better of a city than Detroit. Not too long ago they were competing for murder/crime capital of the U.S. (Which I believe belongs to ATL now)

Bloomfield Hills is a good area, the education quality in the burbs is insane. One of my friends has a relative that teaches in the area and actually taught a class with Eminem's daughter. The most I've heard is that she is taken care of "very well".

And to boot, if he were to retire in Detroit he's pretty much guaranteed a job in the organization if he wants one.
I live in St. Louis and can tell you that you have to go WAY OUT OF YOUR WAY to get into the kind of trouble you're talking about. A guy like Suter wouldn't come close (unless he frequented the east side..... )

Old
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
He is going to St. Louis, Minnesota, or Detroit.
Wasn't there rumors of STL having a budget?

Old
NoNecksCurse

Quote:

his uncle, gary, made a comment on a sharks broadcast this past season about ryan signing in san jose and how he would love for it to happen if it could... something like that. can't remember the specifics.

also, when a guy like suter is a free agent and you are not on the list where he wouldnt sign, you at least make a call ..

Old
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser

Quote:

Suter's really good, and his uncle loved playing for us. If we can get him at a fair price we could trade Murray and/or Boyle to replenish our horrendous farm system or fill out our forwards. Boyle only because he's getting old and his defense has slipped a bit recently. He's definitely a weapon offensively, but if DW can get Suter at a reasonable price and he wants to retire here there's no reason not to sign him.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Vitto79

I say he's back in NSH

Old
06-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I live in St. Louis and can tell you that you have to go WAY OUT OF YOUR WAY to get into the kind of trouble you're talking about. A guy like Suter wouldn't come close (unless he frequented the east side..... )
Meh, there's good a bad parts of every city. Unless Suter's out trying to score coke or at the nearest 7/11 at 2 A.M. he should be fine wherever he is.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:06 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Quote:

That's East St. Louis, Illinois. An hour outside of St. Louis in any direction will lead you into a bunch of cornfields.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:07 PM
BamaWing

vCash: 598
Just let us know what number you want Suter, we'll have it waiting on you in Hockeytown

Old
06-14-2012, 05:07 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
I'll play devils advocate and argue the point that players can just live in the suburbs.

That's true with every NHL city. He would still spend a lot of his time in a main city with practice, games, charity events or other activities with his family. It's not just a matter of where he and his family sleep at night.

With that said, while it is short sided to say He can just live in the nice neighborhood, it's just as bad saying he'll base his decision off of the city's perception alone. Detroit may be the butt of all the jokes, but that's not going to stop him from doing research to see how true it is or if it even applies to his situation.
He can ask every Detroit player to retire in Detroit if that is true. Even current players or former players who still live in Michigan.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:09 PM
ericnut

He doesn't like publicity? People won't even recognize him in Anaheim.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:09 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Quote:
Wasn't there rumors of STL having a budget?
Yes, we just don't know what that number is lol...For the record, St. Louis can sign him for around 7 million and still stay right around the same salary if they let Arnott, Langenbrunner, and Jackman go.

Closed Thread