HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stewart re-signed, 1 yr/3M

Old
06-14-2012, 03:28 PM
h22prelude93

vCash: 500
Really excited to see how Stewart responds this next season. It will be a fresh start for everyone.

Army's Comments:

"This is a huge year for Chris Stewart, not only as a St. Louis Blue but as an NHL hockey player," Blues general manager Doug Armstrong said this week. "He's a player at (age) 22 and 23 had 28 goals in this league. It's a difficult goal-scoring league. He didn't have a season that he had hoped to have, or we expected him to have. But I don't think it would be wise for us to throw the baby out with the bath water.
"The easiest thing is to trade someone or make a change, but you better bring someone in more competent than the one you're leaving. I believe 'Stewy' has a chance to be what he wants to be and now it's up to him to become that. I think he can be one of the elite power forwards in the game."

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:10 PM
BlueDream

Love it. We're basically saving money since he's taking less than last year, AND have a chance to be rewarded if he rebounds. Great deal, basically a no-lose situation.

So we signed Stewart, Avs letting McClement walk...Good trade for us.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:12 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Army may be foreshadowing a bit there mentioning the ease of trading a struggling player that has big potential.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:15 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Army may be foreshadowing a bit there mentioning the ease of trading a struggling player that has big potential.
I don't think he meant it like that. I think by easiest, he meant, he could trade him and no one would be upset about it, and by easiest he doesn't mean best.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:19 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Your statement just goes to show you people here what they want to hear. I don't think Armstrong could have been much clearer in he has no intention of trading Stewart unless he gets an offer he can't refuse.

He stated it would be easy to trade Stewart after a bad year but not smart to do it all. Armstrong stated his thinks Stewart can be one of the Elite powerforwards in the game why would you trade someone like that? Unless it is a massive over payment coming back....

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:20 PM
CarvinSigX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I don't think he meant it like that. I think by easiest, he meant, he could trade him and no one would be upset about it, and by easiest he doesn't mean best.
I agree, but I still think he has something up his sleeve. Doesn't mean anything good will come to fruition though. lol

Old
06-14-2012, 04:24 PM
CarvinSigX

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Your statement just goes to show you people here what they want to hear. I don't think Armstrong could have been much clearer in he has no intention of trading Stewart unless he gets an offer he can't refuse.

He stated it would be easy to trade Stewart after a bad year but not smart to do it all.
I don't hear what I want to hear, I try to really process everything in a statement and take every possibility into account. The fact that he brought it up at all leads me to believe that it has been discussed. Take that however you wish, as it's just a thought. Don't dig too deep on how I interpret something like that. It's just one of my many thoughts on where this team could be headed. lol

Old
06-14-2012, 04:39 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
I don't hear what I want to hear, I try to really process everything in a statement and take every possibility into account. The fact that he brought it up at all leads me to believe that it has been discussed. Take that however you wish, as it's just a thought. Don't dig too deep on how I interpret something like that. It's just one of my many thoughts on where this team could be headed. lol
We can break down the statement if you like.

Army's Comments:

"This is a huge year for Chris Stewart, not only as a St. Louis Blue but as an NHL hockey player," Blues general manager Doug Armstrong said this week. "He's a player at (age) 22 and 23 had 28 goals in this league. It's a difficult goal-scoring league. He didn't have a season that he had hoped to have, or we expected him to have. But I don't think it would be wise for us to throw the baby out with the bath water. Is an old saying which means - inadvertently losing or getting rid of something of value while getting rid of something of no value; making a mistake in judgement; an unintended consequence. Or that after one bad season trading Stewart would be a mistake because Stewart is a very talented valuable player still...

"The easiest thing is to trade someone or make a change, but you better bring someone in more competent than the one you're leaving.Sure it would be easy to say Stewart isn't a fit and trade him but if you are going to trade him you need to get a player that you know will perform better then Stewart will next season I believe 'Stewy' has a chance to be what he wants to be and now it's up to him to become that. I think he can be one of the elite power forwards in the game."Yes that is pretty literal that he really thinks Stewart can be one of the best powerwards in the game the reason he traded for him in the first place. His talent and ability are still there. He knew what he was doing when he hired Hitchcock if he truly felt Stewart wasn't a fit in Hitchcock's system he would have traded him by now.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:45 PM
CarvinSigX

Do you expect him to say anything differently? Yes, we're shopping him and we want a better player back even if we have to add. We both know he can't come out and say that without lowering his value. You said it yourself on the main boards. I'm not saying he's going to sell him just to do it, don't think that. My money is on a Stewart+ deal for a better player. Is that so hard to accept?

Old
06-14-2012, 04:55 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Well the X factor is how Tarasenko plays. To me, saying you better bring in a player better means that if Tarasenko outperforms Stewart then we have a different situation. Then you have brought in a better player. If Tarasenko outperforms Stewart then I think Stewart is still traded.

The quote that comes to mind is, "We feel that Hobbs can fill your position very needily." Let's hope Bartholomew "Bump" Stewart doesn't go crashing through the end boards chasing a puck any time soon.

Last edited by PocketNines: 06-14-2012 at 05:00 PM.
PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:59 PM
BleedBlue42

Quote:
Do you expect him to say anything differently? Yes, we're shopping him and we want a better player back even if we have to add. We both know he can't come out and say that without lowering his value. You said it yourself on the main boards. I'm not saying he's going to sell him just to do it, don't think that. My money is on a Stewart+ deal for a better player. Is that so hard to accept?
But do you think Armstrong would risk ruining his reputation and that of the Blues' organization by trading Stewart after saying that? I doubt it. Sure, professionals say good things about their organization when things are going bad by creating a pretense, but there is a difference between claiming to do something and making their organization sound good.

"Stewart has a lot of potential, and it's not smart to trade him after one bad year. That's not something we are going to do."

vs.

"Stewart has a lot of potential underneath him. We have confidence that he will return back to his old form."

See the difference?

Army would not say that they are going to keep Stewart and then trade him like that. That's not happening. Mark my words.

BleedBlue42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:59 PM
CarvinSigX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Well the X factor is how Tarasenko plays. To me, saying you better bring in a player better means that if Tarasenko outperforms Stewart then we have a different situation. Then you have brought in a better player. If Tarasenko outperforms Stewart then I think Stewart is still traded.
There's always that too. LOL If Tarasenko hits 20 goals you may as well kiss Stewart's ass goodbye. There's no way they pay $3 million to a 3rd liner that's not Steen.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:07 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
There's always that too. LOL If Tarasenko hits 20 goals you may as well kiss Stewart's ass goodbye. There's no way they pay $3 million to a 3rd liner that's not Steen.
You really are under the impression that Stewart wont hit 20 plus goals. What is Tarasenko hits 20 and Stewart hits 30. Stewart was awful last season no doubt about it. We all know he can be a much better player then he showed. I don't buy the system doesn't fit him. Stewart has the talent to perform in any system. Really is Backes more talented then Stewart? Backes took a while to develop into the player he is.

I am very disappointed in Stewart's season. I am not ready to give up on him though. I think even under Hitchcock Stewart can hit 30 goals. I think if Stewart gets to play with McDonald or Perron enough they may be the playmakers he needs to perform.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:15 PM
CarvinSigX

That's a bridge we'll cross if it comes up and a good bridge at that. My problem with Stewart is his play when he's not scoring. Is he a good playmaker? Nope. Is he a beast on the boards? Nope. Does he backcheck with authority? Nope. Is he a good zone defender? Nope. He's a Perron that can't pass and won't go to the corners.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:19 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

If Stewart has a big season it opens up options because he will still be a RFA and his trade value will be very high again. I think for us showing faith in him rebounding, we would have a good chance at resigning him at a good deal if he does come back strong though.

Stewart needs to get his confidence back, and hopefully over the summer he finds it.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:25 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Look, if Stewart reaches 30 goals in this Blues system I'd love to eat that crow. I really would. I'm no different than anybody else having high expectations for the guy heading into this last year. Whatever helps the Blues win more games and be a stronger team I'm for. Him doubling his goal output would be awesome. Would love to see it. Have many doubts.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:34 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

I thought we were told he couldn't sign for less than his QFA?

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 05:34 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Look, if Stewart reaches 30 goals in this Blues system I'd love to eat that crow. I really would. I'm no different than anybody else having high expectations for the guy heading into this last year. Whatever helps the Blues win more games and be a stronger team I'm for. Him doubling his goal output would be awesome. Would love to see it. Have many doubts.
I'm not saying he will or wont. I do think we will see Stewart perform better then he did last season. He knows that this season can make or break his career.

I get the impression that Stewart is a good guy off the ice. I get the impression he wants to prove himself. Keeping him one more year I see it as we have nothing to lose. I don't think Stewart holds high enough trade value to trade him currently. Sure i would love to be able to package Stewart for Marc Staal. It just is not an option though. Stewart playing up to his potential is worth more then anything we would get in trade.

Stewart really gives me the impression he wants to be a St Louis Blue. As a fan that right there has me willing to be more patient with a player.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:36 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
You can sign for less just players normally don't They know that is the min a team has to offer to retain their rights so most players wont sign for anything less.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:41 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Our qualify offer had to be 3.25, but Stewart could always agree to sign for less.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:49 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
The Blues could not have submitted a qualifying offer for less than 3.25M. But they never reached that stage. My read on it is this: Stewart knows the Blues will indeed qualify him. He isn't required to take less than 3.25M unless he's ok with it if the Blues offer. Apparently they did offer this and he signed the deal. It's very likely they discussed scenarios for how the season would play out and what they'd do this time next year under a variety of circumstances. If he'd taken a steeper discount I'm sure the players union would've been none too pleased but this isn't that big a cut, and it's over his cap hit average from the past two seasons.

The bigger signal is that Stewart is genuinely focused on his offseason stuff and just wanted certainty now. Perhaps the Blues hinted that if he would only sign for the QO amount they might be more open to trading him at the draft. He knows he's certainly a trade candidate with the winger situation. He wanted the certainty and it was worth it to him to get the deal behind him and exclusively onto the offseason stuff. Didn't work with Berglund last year but maybe it will for Stewart.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:57 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
I'm not saying he will or wont. I do think we will see Stewart perform better then he did last season. He knows that this season can make or break his career.

I get the impression that Stewart is a good guy off the ice. I get the impression he wants to prove himself. Keeping him one more year I see it as we have nothing to lose. I don't think Stewart holds high enough trade value to trade him currently. Sure i would love to be able to package Stewart for Marc Staal. It just is not an option though. Stewart playing up to his potential is worth more then anything we would get in trade.

Stewart really gives me the impression he wants to be a St Louis Blue. As a fan that right there has me willing to be more patient with a player.
For me I'm not pro or anti patience, what has me on the trade him side of the fence is the unique combination of 1) winger glut and 2) lack of evidence he's ever been successful scoring in a system of this type. Tarasenko's performance in the system vs. Stewart's performance is going to be really interesting to watch. We'll know soon enough if offseason rededication was enough to do the trick for Stewart. Since I never thought motivation was his problem I don't think extra motivation will solve the issue.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:35 PM
BleedBlue42

Quote:
If Stewart has a big season it opens up options because he will still be a RFA and his trade value will be very high again. I think for us showing faith in him rebounding, we would have a good chance at resigning him at a good deal if he does come back strong though.

Stewart needs to get his confidence back, and hopefully over the summer he finds it.
If Stewart has a big season again and returns to his old near 30 goal self, why would we want to trade him?

I don't understand...

Old
06-14-2012, 06:42 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredBrathwaite View Post
If Stewart has a big season again and returns to his old near 30 goal self, why would we want to trade him?

I don't understand...
If Tarasenko has a big season, we can use Stewart to fill other holes. We won't have the budget to pay everyone. If Stewart's trade value goes back to what it was, we can get our top pairing LHD. We have Oshie, Tarasenko, and Rattie who all play RW, so at least one of them will be gone in the future. Two of those will be cost controlled, Oshie is a great fit. Even if Stewart bounces back, he will still be a bad fit.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:55 PM
BleedBlue42

Quote:
If Tarasenko has a big season, we can use Stewart to fill other holes. We won't have the budget to pay everyone. If Stewart's trade value goes back to what it was, we can get our top pairing LHD. We have Oshie, Tarasenko, and Rattie who all play RW, so at least one of them will be gone in the future. Two of those will be cost controlled, Oshie is a great fit. Even if Stewart bounces back, he will still be a bad fit.
Um…What?

If Stewart produces 30-35-65 points consistently, then I am not trading that. I would rather trade D'Agistini and Rattie over him. Plus, keep in mind that McDonald won't be on our team forever, and he is making 4.7M per year. Once he is gone, assuming we have a similar budget, we can still afford Stewart.

Plus, we'll have to see if we can get our LHD this offseason. If we get said LHD, then there is really no need to trade Stewart the following offseason.