HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Suter's Preferred Destinations in the West

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaWing View Post
Just let us know what number you want Suter, we'll have it waiting on you in Hockeytown
40, 13, 5, 19, 1, 7, 9, 10, 12 or he's not signing.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Arrch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confound View Post
Why would SJ offer him anything?

They already have a pretty much set D core.
I know others have answered, but to put it bluntly:

Suter + Boyle's return > Boyle.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Dylbot

Is it merely coincidental that he's not interested in any eastern teams, or does he not want to play in the East in general?

If it's the latter, what would his reasoning be? Because of travel it makes sense not to want to play in the West, but what could he have against the East?

Old
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
40, 13, 5, 19, 1, 7, 9, 10, 12 or he's not signing.
I'll bet an arrangement can be made to give him seven and nine.

Old
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confound View Post
Why would SJ offer him anything?

They already have a pretty much set D core.
Boyle's 35.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:18 PM
boredmale

Old
06-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D

Detroit has a huge history of scaring off high end FAs.

Oh wait, no it doesn't.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Boyle's 35.
Stuart's not far behind.

Though I'd be interested to hear Sharks fans opinion on the future of the team.

Do you try to keep pushing ahead or do you dump Thornton/Marleau/Havlat/Boyle for picks and prospects? I know their prospect pool is one of the worst and most of their core is over 30, I've heard a few Sharks fans say they'd like to blow up the team and shorten the rebuild a little bit less than it would take to leave it how it is.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:21 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Dallas, Detroit, Colorado, St.Louis or Minnesota all seem like logical choices

Old
06-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaWing View Post
Just let us know what number you want Suter, we'll have it waiting on you in Hockeytown
Drew Miller has his #20.

Houston, we have a problem!

Old
06-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylbot View Post
Is it merely coincidental that he's not interested in any eastern teams, or does he not want to play in the East in general?

If it's the latter, what would his reasoning be? Because of travel it makes sense not to want to play in the West, but what could he have against the East?
The culture/manners of the people who live there? Not everyone likes the east coast lifestyle.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:29 PM
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Stuart's not far behind.

Do you try to keep pushing ahead or do you dump Thornton/Marleau/Havlat/Boyle for picks and prospects? I know their prospect pool is one of the worst and most of their core is over 30, I've heard a few Sharks fans say they'd like to blow up the team and shorten the rebuild a little bit less than it would take to leave it how it is.
Stuart's a #4 defenseman, so he doesn't need to be a large future piece.

Havlat, Thornton, and Marleau all likely have at least a few good years ahead of them. Boyle is the one who it's either trade him now or we probably won't get much for him. If we get Suter, he'll get traded. If not, we'll likely keep him. None of the players have to be traded, but there are situations and returns that could make it happen. The ideal is Suter+ Boy;e's return whether it be picks and prospects, or young roster players.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:32 PM
Jerzey Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
The culture/manners of the people who live there? Not everyone likes the east coast lifestyle.
Is that something he actually said or is that something you just made up?

Do you really think the culture and people's mannerisms are the same from Maine to Miami?

Old
06-14-2012, 05:32 PM
lakai17

Erik Johnson - Ryan Suter would be sick.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:33 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnarkAttack View Post
Stuart's a #4 defenseman, so he doesn't need to be a large future piece.

Havlat, Thornton, and Marleau all likely have at least a few good years ahead of them. Boyle is the one who it's either trade him now or we probably won't get much for him. If we get Suter, he'll get traded. If not, we'll likely keep him. None of the players have to be traded, but there are situations and returns that could make it happen. The ideal is Suter+ Boy;e's return whether it be picks and prospects, or young roster players.
Pretty much this. Plus our younger core -> Burns, Couture, Vlasic, Pavelski, Demers, Braun are all under 27 so Suter would fit nicely in.

If Boyle is dealt, we'd get a young top 6 fwd (or two if there's a high draft pick) and that would help shape the Sharks future after 2014 when Marleau and Thornton's deals are up. The Sharks aren't obviously stacked with young prospects but the future isn't complete **** either if DW can navigate the next 2 offseasons well.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:33 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
And yet oddly enough they're still always around the top of the player's poll....
Didn't you know? HF experts who have never been to Detroit know more about it than players who have actually visited the city.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:34 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
Erik Johnson - Ryan Suter would be sick.

Would feel like a kid on Christmas morning if that happened.

But, I think he ends up in Minny or Smashville again.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:34 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzey Devil View Post

Do you really think the culture and people's mannerisms are the same from Maine to Miami?
the reality is that just like you and I can have (and probably do) have some illogical preferences, so likely does Suter. I for one would not like to live on the east coast. I can't even explain why, I just can't picture myself living anywhere besides the west.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Jerzey Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
the reality is that just like you and I can have (and probably do) have some illogical preferences, so likely does Suter. I for one would not like to live on the east coast. I can't even explain why, I just can't picture myself living anywhere besides the west.
I can understand that but did Suter actually say anything of the sort or are we just speculating here?

I've never heard of anyone being against playing on entire side of the country before.

And isn't Detroit actually further East than Nashville (not that he's settled on Detroit yet)?

Old
06-14-2012, 05:39 PM
crazyforhockey

Van has cap and we are willing to spend millions to build a replica of madison...next door to Vancouver...with a special fast transit train for his own private (family)use

this way he gets a place just like home

and maybe next year we ca get his old partner Weber to sign with us.....hey we can dream

Old
06-14-2012, 05:40 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Stuart's not far behind.

Stuart isn't a core player.

It really depends on the fan you ask. Personally, I think the window is closed and we should trade Thornton/Boyle/Clowe/Niemi for a ton of young assets. I don't think this is the place to explain why those guys over Marleau/Havlat. The Sharks are in a position right now where they do have the assets to do a major overhaul without tanking, but they have to act now to avoid getting to a Flames situation.

As for our core, Thornton/Marleau/Boyle are over 30, so that sucks, but Burns/Pavelski are 27, Couture is 23, Vlasic is 25, Clowe is 29, and we have quite a few young roster players like Wingels, Desjardins, Demers, and Braun, who are all on the rise. That's a top defensive pair and centers #1 and #2 all entering their primes. We're not nearly as screwed as HF likes to think.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Freaky Styley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
I really do not see Colorado having a better than average chance. They are an up and coming team, but I think he is going to want to be on a team which is looking for deep playoff runs now.
While a team like Detroit might be closer to winning a cup *now* don't you think if he was signing somewhere he would want the team to be competitive on the long term basis? I am not doubting that Detroit will be competitive because of their management but with Lidstrom retiring and Datsyuk and Zetterberg on the downswing of their careers, they are going in the opposite direction of the Avs.

I might be a little biased here but from all of the things I have heard/read from the Suter camp, I think Colorado has a damn good chance. Let's look at the facts:

- Colorado has the most cap space to sign him and can match any offer
- He has said he wants to be in a place with a lot of nature and farmland and I hear Denver is a beautiful city with many outdoor activities
- He will (likely) want to sign with a team that has a chance to win the cup in the near future. With at least one young, potential franchise player at each position the Avs have a wealth of young talent which will continue to improve and just missed out on the playoffs this year. They will likely make the playoffs next year even without Suter.
- He is familiar with several American teammates already on the Avs like Stastny, EJ, and Mueller
- He wants to stay West

Of the possible teams like Detroit, St. Louis, Minnesota or Nashville I don't think any team can match all of these factors. I think St. Louis, Nashville and the Avs have the best chance from all of the factors I have heard. Nashville needs more skill up front, and Minny is still a couple pieces away from being a contender, as people are citing family is the main reason he would move there. Well the Avs play minny 6 times a year so he would still get a chance to see them.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Stuart isn't a core player.

It really depends on the fan you ask. Personally, I think the window is closed and we should trade Thornton/Boyle/Clowe/Niemi for a ton of young assets. I don't think this is the place to explain why those guys over Marleau/Havlat. The Sharks are in a position right now where they do have the assets to do a major overhaul without tanking, but they have to act now to avoid getting to a Flames situation.

As for our core, Thornton/Marleau/Boyle are over 30, so that sucks, but Burns/Pavelski are 27, Couture is 23, Vlasic is 25, Clowe is 29, and we have quite a few young roster players like Wingels, Desjardins, Demers, and Braun, who are all on the rise. That's a top defensive pair and centers #1 and #2 all entering their primes. We're not nearly as screwed as HF likes to think.
Interesting to see things rather split between those of you that have answered. I was thinking dump the over 30 guys and build around Pavelski and Couture. Obviously I don't think it'll happen (At least not this year) so it should be interesting to see how things play out.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzey Devil View Post

The question I answered was "what could he have against the east?"

I gave a reason someone COULD have against the east. There are at least tens of millions of people that share that reason. It's just as real as the people who feel all art, education and culture ends with the Alleghenies. So it's A REASON. A careful read will point out I never said it was THE reason.

And outside of Florida, Tampa and Carolina, yes I think the cultures of the other 12 towns are pretty similar compared to Western and Midwestern towns. And yes, I've visited or lived in all but one of those cities. Dial it down, it wasn't a personal attack.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:49 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Interesting to see things rather split between those of you that have answered. I was thinking dump the over 30 guys and build around Pavelski and Couture. Obviously I don't think it'll happen (At least not this year) so it should be interesting to see how things play out.
I've proposed that idea myself. I think the best course of action is a mini rebuild. Getting Suter would be a huge boon to that cause. Get Suter and you can trade Boyle for a decent package. Then trade Clowe, Niemi, Murray, and get rid of Handzus however you can. Trading Joe or Marleau isn't necessary, especially with their NTC, but I think you at least explore the idea and see whats out there. Either way, after all that the team should be younger, faster, and our prospect pool should be significantly improved.

Closed Thread