HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Suter's Preferred Destinations in the West

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 06:49 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

vCash: 500
Gotta get an obligatory mention in of my team here, as everyone else has. In all seriousness, though, Orange County in general seems exactly what he's looking for, and overall Anaheim's a pretty good fit.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:49 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
The difference, Denver as an entire city is pretty safe, small, and has a great backdoors for Suter to enjoy. Detroit, simply put, does not.
I am not sure what you mean here.
I know what I hear in my head when I read it, which of course just made me almost choke on my water...but I suspect you mean something different.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:53 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
While a team like Detroit might be closer to winning a cup *now* don't you think if he was signing somewhere he would want the team to be competitive on the long term basis? I am not doubting that Detroit will be competitive because of their management but with Lidstrom retiring and Datsyuk and Zetterberg on the downswing of their careers, they are going in the opposite direction of the Avs.

I might be a little biased here but from all of the things I have heard/read from the Suter camp, I think Colorado has a damn good chance. Let's look at the facts:

- Colorado has the most cap space to sign him and can match any offer
- He has said he wants to be in a place with a lot of nature and farmland and I hear Denver is a beautiful city with many outdoor activities
- He will (likely) want to sign with a team that has a chance to win the cup in the near future. With at least one young, potential franchise player at each position the Avs have a wealth of young talent which will continue to improve and just missed out on the playoffs this year. They will likely make the playoffs next year even without Suter.
- He is familiar with several American teammates already on the Avs like Stastny, EJ, and Mueller
- He wants to stay West

Of the possible teams like Detroit, St. Louis, Minnesota or Nashville I don't think any team can match all of these factors. I think St. Louis, Nashville and the Avs have the best chance from all of the factors I have heard. Nashville needs more skill up front, and Minny is still a couple pieces away from being a contender, as people are citing family is the main reason he would move there. Well the Avs play minny 6 times a year so he would still get a chance to see them.
Colorado has the most cap space because they have the most roster spots to fill. By the time they get Johnson, Duchene, and O'Reilly signed they're right down in the same ball park as Detroit in terms of cap space.

Detroit, IMO, is around the same type of era they were in around 2001. Their current core is aging, they've got good prospects coming in to fill roster spots (Nyquist, Smith) and money to spend. (Which they did, on Hull and Hasek)

Am I saying they're undoubtedly gonna win the Cup next year? No, but Datsyuk and Zetterberg are still very effective NHL players, Smith and Nyquist look promising, and Filppula has (finally) broken out. So to say they're a "slim chance" at another Cup in the near future would be incredibly short-sighted. Yes they're lacking a bit on defense now, but signing the man in question himself would go a long way to plug that hole.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:53 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Interesting to see things rather split between those of you that have answered. I was thinking dump the over 30 guys and build around Pavelski and Couture. Obviously I don't think it'll happen (At least not this year) so it should be interesting to see how things play out.
Frankly, neither Couture nor Pavelski are good enough players to "build" around. They aren't and will never be the caliber of player Thornton or Marleau are. If the Sharks pick one player to build around, it will be Brent Burns. He's much closer and much more likely to be a true top-tier #1D than Couture or Pavelski is to being a true top-tier #1C. Add in that Vlasic is 25 and Burns' perfect compliment, and you have a steady top-pair for a long time, and that is extremely valuable.

As far as "dumping the over-30 guys", it's not that simple. Boyle, Clowe, Murray, I can see all of them potentially being gone this off-season (although I'd stick an 'unlikely' to Boyle). Thornton and Marleau, on the other hand, aren't so clear-cut. First of all, both of them have NMCs and are unlikely to waive, especially Marleau. Thornton talks all the time about how he "hopes to be a Shark in ten years", and Marleau's family is as settled in SJ as they come.

You're right though; it'll be a very interesting off-season for the Sharks. Doug Wilson is runs perhaps the tightest ship of any GM, so we've heard next to nothing about what the team's plan is.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:55 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Colorado has the most cap space because they have the most roster spots to fill. By the time they get Johnson, Duchene, and O'Reilly signed they're right down in the same ball park as Detroit in terms of cap space.

Detroit, IMO, is around the same type of era they were in around 2001. Their current core is aging, they've got good prospects coming in to fill roster spots (Nyquist, Smith) and money to spend. (Which they did, on Hull and Hasek)

Am I saying they're undoubtedly gonna win the Cup next year? No, but Datsyuk and Zetterberg are still very effective NHL players, Smith and Nyquist look promising, and Filppula has (finally) broken out. So to say they're a "slim chance" at another Cup in the near future would be incredibly short-sighted. Yes they're lacking a bit on defense now, but signing the man in question himself would go a long way to plug that hole.
They most certainly aren't.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
They most certainly aren't.
Like I said, core aging, prospects coming up, money to spend.

Same template.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Jerzey Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
The question I answered was "what could he have against the east?"

I gave a reason someone COULD have against the east. There are at least tens of millions of people that share that reason. It's just as real as the people who feel all art, education and culture ends with the Alleghenies. So it's A REASON. A careful read will point out I never said it was THE reason.

And outside of Florida, Tampa and Carolina, yes I think the cultures of the other 12 towns are pretty similar compared to Western and Midwestern towns. And yes, I've visited or lived in all but one of those cities. Dial it down, it wasn't a personal attack.
Clearly you should be able to understand why someone might be offended when you generalize half a country.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:59 PM
Freaky Styley

Quote:

I do think Detroit has a good chance, mainly because of their management. I was just thinking that if I'm Suter, I don't see it as an attractive destination as Colorado because of all of the factors listed above. I will most likely be wrong, but I think Colorado has a much better chance than most people think.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:59 PM
WILDTATE10

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Where do you see that? Because it's certainly not in this thread...
was gonna say the same thing

Old
06-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

He'll end up in Detroit.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Ceremony
I will swim

vCash: 23500
#20 is free in Denver....

Old
06-14-2012, 07:01 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Like I said, core aging, prospects coming up, money to spend.

Same template.
Nyquist and Tartar aren't Zetterberg and Datsyuk...

Old
06-14-2012, 07:02 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Nyquist and Tartar aren't Zetterberg and Datsyuk...
Tatar isn't even getting promoted this year...

And just for the sake of making the point, up until the year he joined the Wings Zetterberg was regarded as a lesser prospect than guys like Raffi Torres...

Old
06-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

I wouldn't be surprised to see St. Louis on his list, as it seems to posess a number of qualities that he seems to desire, namely:
  • It's a baseball town, so he can stay out of the spotlight
  • Small-town feel; very family oriented
  • Team has recently emerged from a rebuild; should be competitive for years
  • Would still be on a Norris-caliber pairing with Pietrangelo

Of course, there are downsides:
  • Not a cap team; might not be able to take the next step towards a Cup
  • Internal cap might preclude his signing altogether
  • Would have to compete with Pietrangelo to be "the guy" (much like with Weber)
  • If he's tired if Nashville, St. Louis wouldn't be any different

It's be awesome if he came to St. Louis, but I just can't see him ignoring the buckets of cash that Minnesota and Detroit are going to be able to throw at him, as well as the 'close to family' thing:

Detroit: 40%
Minnesota: 30%
Dallas, St. Louis, Colorado, and Nashville: 20%
Canada, Chicago, California, and Phoenix: 10%

Old
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
While a team like Detroit might be closer to winning a cup *now* don't you think if he was signing somewhere he would want the team to be competitive on the long term basis? I am not doubting that Detroit will be competitive because of their management but with Lidstrom retiring and Datsyuk and Zetterberg on the downswing of their careers, they are going in the opposite direction of the Avs.
I was not necessarily arguing in favor of Detroit, although your point does stand.

Quote:
I might be a little biased here but from all of the things I have heard/read from the Suter camp, I think Colorado has a damn good chance.
I think you are misunderstanding my "better than average chance".

Essentially, by the supposed construct of this list, he is looking at Western teams below the border. That leaves the three California teams, Colorado, Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit, Nashville, STL, Phoenix, and Columbus

We can presume Chicago, Phoenix and Columbus are out (differing reasons obviously).
Detroit you make a good point against earlier (although if they can sign him and Parise and convince him that Smith is a true #1 in the making...)
Leaves LA, SJ, Anaheim, Dallas, Colorado, Minny, Nash and STL
I have a difficult time imagining him calling Colorado a clear favorite in that case. They are not in a better position than LA, STL, Nash. Dallas has a very bright future as well, Minny is close to his home. San Jose has been a contender for some time now, whether they are slowing down or not I cannot truly say. Anaheim has definite possibilities as well.

Quote:
- He has said he wants to be in a place with a lot of nature and farmland and I hear Denver is a beautiful city with many outdoor activities
True, but not a lot of farmland in Colorado in comparison to some of the other cities listed previously. If he is really serious about that it becomes Dallas/STL/Minny/Nash.

Quote:
Well the Avs play minny 6 times a year so he would still get a chance to see them.
This is reaching.

Old
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
I do think Detroit has a good chance, mainly because of their management. I was just thinking that if I'm Suter, I don't see it as an attractive destination as Colorado because of all of the factors listed above. I will most likely be wrong, but I think Colorado has a much better chance than most people think.
I can understand all those factors except the potential for a cup in the near future. Other than youth, what have they shown in the past few years as far as success goes?

Aren't they sticking with their head coach? From what I understand he was an issue in Colorado as far as getting his players to play up to their potential.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:07 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
I can understand all those factors except the potential for a cup in the near future. Other than youth, what have they shown in the past few years as far as success goes?

Aren't they sticking with their head coach? From what I understand he was an issue in Colorado as far as getting his players to play up to their potential.
Sacco is an odd story to me. One year he's getting people calling him Adams' caliber, the next they want him fired.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:09 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzey Devil View Post
Clearly you should be able to understand why someone might be offended when you generalize half a country.
First, it's not half the country. Second, why would it be a surprise or offensive to you that the people that the northeast looks down on reciprocate the feeling? You don't have to like everyone in life and they don't have to like you. Some players don't want to live in California. I respect their opinion and will still sleep at night just fine.

This is way OT. Please just accept that there are people in life that are different and move on.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:09 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Odd that there haven't been more serious suggestions for Chicago.

I personally think it would be a stupid move by Bowman (Depth and goaltending is what he should target) but they do have the money for it and the need for a good defender that is good on the PP.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:10 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

I think Chicago is likely rather gun-shy after the Campbell signing.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
First, it's not half the country. Second, why would it be a surprise or offensive to you that the people that the northeast looks down on reciprocate the feeling? You don't have to like everyone in life and they don't have to like you. Some players don't want to live in California. I respect their opinion and will still sleep at night just fine.

This is way OT. Please just accept that there are people in life that are different and move on.
This may not help my case for Suter coming here but (Being from Michigan) I found that people in Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, NC and SC were far more polite that the people in any Eastern/Northern state I've been to.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Barney Gumble

I don't the answer but what's the AVs ownership view with respect to the cap - are they will to spend up to the limit? (if so, they should be a player in the sweepstakes).

Old
06-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Jerzey Devil

Quote:

Why do you think people from the North East look down on people from the West Coast? I've never heard anything like that outside of Biggie/Tupac. We're too busy hating each other to care about you people out west.

I don't need life lessons from you, I just think you're being unreasonable.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:17 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
I don't the answer but what's the AVs ownership view with respect to the cap - are they will to spend up to the limit? (if so, they should be a player in the sweepstakes).
They're saying they're going to spend when the time is right and our GM said he had permission to spend up to cap.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:18 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzey Devil View Post
Why do you think people from the North East look down on people from the West Coast? I've never heard anything like that outside of Biggie/Tupac. We're too busy hating each other to care about you people out west.

I don't need life lessons from you, I just think you're being unreasonable.
The tension stretches from Calliifffooorrnniiia, to the New York isslllannndds.

By the way, *****es ain't **** but hoes and tricks.

Closed Thread