Notices

AHL Affiliate Discussion: Norfolk Admirals

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2012, 08:10 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

vCash: 500
Never should have left Portland. Had a good thing going there with the Pirates.

Old
06-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Kind of related.

Old
06-08-2012, 10:49 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Poor goaltending

Old
06-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

That`s for Schultz, mothe*****ers!

Old
06-10-2012, 06:11 PM
James Franco

Any news about our new affiliate now the the Calder cup is over?

Old
06-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Paul4587

Not officially but it's all but guaranteed to be Norfolk from what I've read.

Old
06-11-2012, 02:27 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

We have pretty big shoes to fill now.

Old
06-11-2012, 07:03 AM
crunchrulz

If you take a look at the Crunch record after Yawney took over, the team played as a team and were decent enuff to come from the league basement to make the playoffs. Just fill a couple of holes with vets, and the team should be fine.
Must fill is on ice leadership. Guenin was up with the Ducks a lot last year and that left a leadership void at Captain. Even when he was here he seemed out of place in the leadership role with the Crunch.
Toughness is another issue. The Crunch put up decent total fight numbers, you can probably count the wins from that total on both hands. Both teams in the finals had legit heavies (Nor-Laibre and Neilsen/Tor-Orr and Rosehill) and their toughness was never questioned.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:16 AM
jthubble

Hey all. Norfolk Admirals fan here. It looks all but sewn up that the Ducks will be sending their AHL players here next season as they dropped our championship banner yesterday during the parade. That being said, wondering what the future looks like between the pipes. I've seen that Tarrki has signed to play overseas. Wondering if Bobkov could play in AHL next year?

And just a little nugget of history ... the last AHL team that won the Calder Cup and moved affiliation city the following year, the team that came in to replace them went on to win the Calder Cup. Here's to hoping that history repeats itself!

Old
06-14-2012, 08:36 AM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthubble View Post
Hey all. Norfolk Admirals fan here. It looks all but sewn up that the Ducks will be sending their AHL players here next season as they dropped our championship banner yesterday during the parade. That being said, wondering what the future looks like between the pipes. I've seen that Tarrki has signed to play overseas. Wondering if Bobkov could play in AHL next year?

And just a little nugget of history ... the last AHL team that won the Calder Cup and moved affiliation city the following year, the team that came in to replace them went on to win the Calder Cup. Here's to hoping that history repeats itself!
Right now it seems that the goalie tandem for the Ducks in the AHL will be Bobkov and J.D. Deslauriers. JDD could beat our new European backup goalie, Fasth, at camp but it seems unlikely at this point. It's possible that the Ducks sign another goalie on a two-way contract.

Looking forward to hearing more about this affiliation deal.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthubble View Post

Welcome on board.

To answer your question, Big Bob has played some games in A, but he is not ready to be a starter imo. But who knows, now he`ll start his first full season as a pro.
All indications are that JD Deslauriers will be a starter, but the bad thing is that he plays bad on A level. The situation with goalies is pretty complicated.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:45 AM
randyc

More the Imminent

I was at the celebration yesterday along with jt. And when the team dropped that championship banner, I along with most everyone else knew for sure that the Bolts were not coming back.

In fact a few in the crowd started quacking like ducks.

I look forward to coming here to learn about what kind of team we will have in Norfolk next season.

I may suggest that you may want to visit admiralszone.net. Good info and some great posters. Just a word of caution, many over there are going through a period of loss, so try to be gentle with them.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:57 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

I just hope that the expectations for next season aren't skyhigh, as I don't think we'll be able to do quite as well as the Bolts did with Norfolk this season just yet.

Then again Norfolk could have players like Etem coming into AHL which could provide a big impact.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:14 AM
randyc

Reduced Expectations

I don't think any team that plays in Norfolk next season, whether it's the Bolts prospects or the Ducks or anyone else for that matter, will be able to match what this team did this year.

I talked with a number of fans yesterday and the celebration, and we all agreed that we would never see another team be this successful in Norfolk in our lifetimes.

So no I don't think any of us in Norfolk expect the Ducks to come to town and meet much less exceed what this year's Admirals team did. We played Syracuse this year in Scope and so most of us got a taste of what is to come.

What our expectations are is that the team give a 60 minute effort and play with heart. Mistakes are expected. Also for the parent club to secure the services of some good AHL veteran players.

It is now official, the Bolts to Syracuse and Ken Young is negotiating a long term deal with the Ducks.

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/06/admi...-syracuse-team

Last edited by randyc: 06-14-2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: addtional information
Old
06-14-2012, 01:59 PM
Adsprincess

Hi Guys!

Looks like you are getting an Admirals fan overload today! I am the third to migrate over here from Tampas boards.

Can't wait to see what Anaheim has in store for us!

Old
06-14-2012, 02:04 PM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adsprincess View Post
Hi Guys!

Looks like you are getting an Admirals fan overload today! I am the third to migrate over here from Tampas boards.

The more the merrier. Can't wait to start the new season.

Sidenote: Syracuse "officially" signs with TB

Old
06-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

You`d be interested in watching Palmieri in play, he was the best scorer in AHL last season, but now is most likely in for full time NHL.

There`s a good chance you`ll see promising players like CHL best scorer (61 goals) Emerson Etem and last two year best SM-liiga defnseman Sami Vatanen, though.

Old
06-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc View Post
I don't think any team that plays in Norfolk next season, whether it's the Bolts prospects or the Ducks or anyone else for that matter, will be able to match what this team did this year.

I talked with a number of fans yesterday and the celebration, and we all agreed that we would never see another team be this successful in Norfolk in our lifetimes.

So no I don't think any of us in Norfolk expect the Ducks to come to town and meet much less exceed what this year's Admirals team did. We played Syracuse this year in Scope and so most of us got a taste of what is to come.

What our expectations are is that the team give a 60 minute effort and play with heart. Mistakes are expected. Also for the parent club to secure the services of some good AHL veteran players.

It is now official, the Bolts to Syracuse and Ken Young is negotiating a long term deal with the Ducks.

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/06/admi...-syracuse-team
I hate to be this guy but.....you may be disappointed based on what I took from Crunch fans last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adsprincess View Post
Hi Guys!

WELCOME!!!

Old
06-14-2012, 04:22 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
Really hope it's true that the affiliation deal will be for 5 years. This club has been desperate for some stability.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:02 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

I was thinking just the opposite. A 5 year plan means that the Western teams have given up all hope of having west coast AHL affiliates.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:09 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
I was thinking just the opposite. A 5 year plan means that the Western teams have given up all hope of having west coast AHL affiliates.
I thought we did a while ago.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Exit Dose

Welcome aboard, guys.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:34 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Great to have you on board, Admirals fans. The more pairs of eyes we have around here to look at our kids the better. Looking forward to hearing from you and just generally having you around. Cheers!

Old
06-14-2012, 07:03 PM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

So how ugly can we make Norfolk's uniforms look.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:32 PM
randyc

Away jerseys

You would be hard pressed to make the Ads away jerseys any worse.

Closed Thread