HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Suter's Preferred Destinations in the West

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 06:18 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Like I said, core aging, prospects coming up, money to spend.

Same template.
No Lidstrom or Stevie Y makes a lot of difference.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:19 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

vCash: 500
Quote:
The tension stretches from Calliifffooorrnniiia, to the New York isslllannndds.
I almost choked on my soda.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:19 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
I don't the answer but what's the AVs ownership view with respect to the cap - are they will to spend up to the limit? (if so, they should be a player in the sweepstakes).
Nobody knows. Avs beat writer (who is often wrong) says the Avs most likely won't be going after Suter or Parise because of the uncertainty with the CBA. Avs cap number should be going up significantly because of the raises for the RFAs but they might not spend too much on UFAs.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Can't replace them. Pretending you can is where you'll fail. Signing other stars is where you compensate and move on.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:23 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Yzerman only played 52 games that season and his impact wasn't felt until the playoffs.

Plenty of time for a Zetterberg, Datsyuk, or other to make that impact.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:23 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Yzerman only played 52 games that season and his impact wasn't felt until the playoffs.

Plenty of time for a Zetterberg, Datsyuk, or other to make that impact.
Zetterberg didn't even play in 01-02.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:24 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
I was not necessarily arguing in favor of Detroit, although your point does stand.

I think you are misunderstanding my "better than average chance".

Essentially, by the supposed construct of this list, he is looking at Western teams below the border. That leaves the three California teams, Colorado, Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit, Nashville, STL, Phoenix, and Columbus

We can presume Chicago, Phoenix and Columbus are out (differing reasons obviously).
Detroit you make a good point against earlier (although if they can sign him and Parise and convince him that Smith is a true #1 in the making...)
Leaves LA, SJ, Anaheim, Dallas, Colorado, Minny, Nash and STL
I have a difficult time imagining him calling Colorado a clear favorite in that case. They are not in a better position than LA, STL, Nash. Dallas has a very bright future as well, Minny is close to his home. San Jose has been a contender for some time now, whether they are slowing down or not I cannot truly say. Anaheim has definite possibilities as well.

True, but not a lot of farmland in Colorado in comparison to some of the other cities listed previously. If he is really serious about that it becomes Dallas/STL/Minny/Nash.

This is reaching.
California has lots of farmland outside of the cities, and absolutely beautiful natural wonders. Never discount the lure of the pacific coast, Monterey, Tahoe, Yosemite, etc all within a very short drive from San Jose. It's not like if he moves to Minnesotta he's going to live on a farm, he's still going to live in the city, and San Jose is a fantastic place to live.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:25 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Zetterberg didn't even play in 01-02.
Another good point. Plus Datsyuk was only a 4th liner rook when he played in that season.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Another good point. Plus Datsyuk was only a 4th liner rook when he played in that season.
Ehh, I believe he was third line and spent a lot of time with Hull.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Go Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Drew Miller has his #20.

Houston, we have a problem!
Drew can you switch numbers so that Suter can have your number...sure.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:30 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Ehh, I believe he was third line and spent a lot of time with Hull.
I was under the impression that was their fourth line, as far as ice time went.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
California has lots of farmland outside of the cities, and absolutely beautiful natural wonders. Never discount the lure of the pacific coast, Monterey, Tahoe, Yosemite, etc all within a very short drive from San Jose. It's not like if he moves to Minnesotta he's going to live on a farm, he's still going to live in the city, and San Jose is a fantastic place to live.
Hey now, in Detroit you can see the ruins of a late 5th century theater.

Wait... Did I say 5th century?

Old
06-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
My point was that 01/02 Red Wings had elite talent on every position (not one elite player per position but multiple) on their hockey team, compairing this Red Wings team to that team just isn't possible IMHO.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:33 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
My point was that 01/02 Red Wings had elite talent on every position (not one elite player per position but multiple) on their hockey team, compairing this Red Wings team to that team just isn't possible IMHO.
He is comparing the situation.

Detroit had money to spend then with a team that had multiple disappointing years and with young talent to help out and they can do it again now.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:35 PM
NWAvs

Why the Avs? Anyone link or anything? I just got real excited

Old
06-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Freaky Styley

Quote:
I can understand all those factors except the potential for a cup in the near future. Other than youth, what have they shown in the past few years as far as success goes?

Aren't they sticking with their head coach? From what I understand he was an issue in Colorado as far as getting his players to play up to their potential.
With the youngest roster in the league they were only a few points out of a playoff spot this year. Like I said, it is likely that with or without Suter they make the playoffs next year. They are on the verge of recapturing the franchise's earlier success that was diminished by the cap.. and they have young stars in each and every position that will continue to grow and improve.

Sacco will be on a short leash.. many wanted him fired last year (including myself) but it seems that management has given him the benefit of the doubt likely because he was working with the youngest team in the league that was also at the salary floor. IMO if we sign Suter we will be solid at every position and Sacco will be our weakest link if we falter.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:45 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

The more I think about us having a chance to sign him, the more I realize it's a real possibility. There's a lot of great suburbs to live in just outside of St. Paul, the Wild will throw tons of money at him, probably more than any other team, and if his kids want to play hockey, there's no better state in the country to do so than Minnesota.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Sports
bedroom eyes

Quote:
Hey now, in Detroit you can see the ruins of a late 5th century theater.

Wait... Did I say 5th century?
That, and a few more square miles of ruins, eh?

Old
06-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
He is comparing the situation.

Detroit had money to spend then with a team that had multiple disappointing years and with young talent to help out and they can do it again now.
Situation is comaparble only considering the money avaliable to spend. That Red Wings team had a much higher appeal to FA because of the players that were already on the roster IMHO.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
The more I think about us having a chance to sign him, the more I realize it's a real possibility. There's a lot of great suburbs to live in just outside of St. Paul, the Wild will throw tons of money at him, probably more than any other team, and if his kids want to play hockey, there's no better state in the country to do so than Minnesota.
I'd lay $10 on Detroit outbidding Minnesota for Suter, kinda have to when your #2 defenseman is now between Ian White and Jonathan Ericsson...

And if Parise is on the market come July 1st I think you can pretty much remove Minnesota from the Suter Sweepstakes. From the sound of it 100% of their interests will be put into Parise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided View Post
That, and a few more square miles of ruins, eh?

No, most of what's not historical ruins has been bulldozed. Land for Ryan to build his farm.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:53 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Doesn't Leopold have some ties to Nashville still from his days of owning the Predators?

But yeah Minnesota could use a top 2 guy and if Suter wants to join our team, more power to him.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:54 PM
TatteredTornNFrayed
ocelot spleens, ...

He was born in the summer of his 27th year,
coming home to a place he'd never been before

Old
06-14-2012, 06:54 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
LoL, well when theyre Top 5 in USA cities from crime rates, I think its safe to say its not a nice place to live.

But hey, while your trying to sleep to the sounds of Police every 5 secconds and gun fire all while someone is trying to break into your house, just keep telling youself its a great city to live in.......
It's quite clear you've never been to Detroit, and you've never moved on out of the 90s Detroit-Colorado rivalry.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatteredTornNFrayed View Post

He was born in the summer of his 27th year,
coming home to a place he'd never been before
As Jim Carey once said, "That John Denver is full of **** man".

Old
06-14-2012, 06:59 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
And if Parise is on the market come July 1st I think you can pretty much remove Minnesota from the Suter Sweepstakes. From the sound of it 100% of their interests will be put into Parise.
I think that if Nashville does not come to an agreement with Suter and is willing to trade his rights, the Wild will do so. The thinking would be that if Parise decides to test the market, this makes them a tad more viable in his eyes if they somehow get Suter signed. And if Suter is going to narrow down his options this much, who knows, maybe he genuinely wants to play there and the Wild could indeed get him signed. (Not that I'd say it's likely seeing as I don't know why a FA of Suter's caliber would sign just before he finally hits the market)

It's a whole lot of ifs that would need to materialize, but the Wild have made it pretty clear they'll heavily target both players. And given how the Wild's entire franchise make-up sits right now, a defenseman like Suter would be a much larger need. Given Nashville's propensity to move player's rights, I think it's a possibility the Wild would want to get out in front of it all.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Closed Thread