HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Suter's Preferred Destinations in the West

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Wingsfan2965*

vCash: 500
Poile said he wouldn't trade his rights, not that that means anything.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:05 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Tatar isn't even getting promoted this year...

And just for the sake of making the point, up until the year he joined the Wings Zetterberg was regarded as a lesser prospect than guys like Raffi Torres...
I was just using Tartar as an example of a forward prospect, and I can't be bothered to look up the name of the dude who's name starts with a J that I can't spell.

But honestly, it just isn't the same. Scouting was a lot different back then. IIRC, Torres was a top-10 pick, and Zetterberg was a 7th rounder. At the time, and considering the lack of resources, it wasn't uncommon to see things like that happen.

The problem I have with your logic is that you're assuming Suter will look and say "wow, looks like the Wings are gearing up for another prime run, because their prospects will be as good now as they were then with Zetterberg and Datsyuk".

I'm not saying Detroit won't sign him, because I have Detroit's chances at about 60%, but thinking that the Wings are gearing up for another era of terror is unrealistic.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:05 PM
Top Cheese Danish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Suter's going to Detroit, Parise's staying in New Jersey. Book it.
This.

I'll be shocked if anything different happens.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:07 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagne Come Back View Post
This.

I'll be shocked if anything different happens.
So for the sake of asking, which would surprise you more, Suter not in Detroit, or Parise not in NJ?

Old
06-14-2012, 08:08 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I was just using Tartar as an example of a forward prospect, and I can't be bothered to look up the name of the dude who's name starts with a J that I can't spell.

But honestly, it just isn't the same. Scouting was a lot different back then. IIRC, Torres was a top-10 pick, and Zetterberg was a 7th rounder. At the time, and considering the lack of resources, it wasn't uncommon to see things like that happen.

The problem I have with your logic is that you're assuming Suter will look and say "wow, looks like the Wings are gearing up for another prime run, because their prospects will be as good now as they were then with Zetterberg and Datsyuk".

I'm not saying Detroit won't sign him, because I have Detroit's chances at about 60%, but thinking that the Wings are gearing up for another era of terror is unrealistic.
Ehh, you can't make any guarantees, but I think Jarnkrok will end up being a very good player, and Jurco could be as well.

I think a low end projection for Nyquist would be 40 points annually, looks really good other than the fact that he seriously needs to gain weight.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
I'd lay $10 on Detroit outbidding Minnesota for Suter, kinda have to when your #2 defenseman is now between Ian White and Jonathan Ericsson...

And if Parise is on the market come July 1st I think you can pretty much remove Minnesota from the Suter Sweepstakes. From the sound of it 100% of their interests will be put into Parise.
Umm. . . . . hello? Without Suter our #2 d-man will be Spurgeon or Scandella. Our defense is much worse than yours.

Also, like Detroit, the Wild will have room to sign both, although I'd much rather sign Suter if we could only sign one.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Umm. . . . . hello? Without Suter our #2 d-man will be Spurgeon or Scandella. Our defense is much worse than yours.

Also, like Detroit, the Wild will have room to sign both, although I'd much rather sign Suter if we could only sign one.
Right, but I think there's a difference between trying to improve and trying not to decline.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:24 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
The Blues have a need and could easily afford him. They have Jackman, Colaiacova, Arnott and Langenbrunner coming off the books this year (around 12 million) and Andy McDonald (4.7 million) next year. Plus useless Chris Stewart and his 3 million could be moved. Plenty of money and a new owner who might want to make a splash. Oshie, Perron and Shatty will need extended, but they will be manageable. Petro will sign a long term deal for big money, but they will still be in good shape. They have no bad contracts currently.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:25 PM
Petes2424

Quote:

Props if the Wild actually get into the bidding for either Parise or Suter but let's be honest. The only reason Suter would sign with the Wild would simply be financial. If not, he'd stay in Nashville, who's core is much better.

Having said that, I thoroughly expect Detroit to sign BOTH players if they hit the open market. Illitch is getting up there and he's gonna reload with guns blazzin....

Old
06-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvs View Post
Why the Avs? Anyone link or anything? I just got real excited
They have cap space.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:31 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Bah...it's all posturing for their retirement contracts--he and Parise both intend to stay put but want the hard written offers from free agency to negotiate the best terms.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:32 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
The Blues have a need and could easily afford him. They have Jackman, Colaiacova, Arnott and Langenbrunner coming off the books this year (around 12 million) and Andy McDonald (4.7 million) next year. Plus useless Chris Stewart and his 3 million could be moved. Plenty of money and a new owner who might want to make a splash. Oshie, Perron and Shatty will need extended, but they will be manageable. Petro will sign a long term deal for big money, but they will still be in good shape. They have no bad contracts currently.
You can never have enough good players but with Pietrangelo and Shattenpants I wouldn't really say they have a "need".

There's also speculation that the Blues are on a somewhat tight budget.

And moving players you literally just signed is not an appealing quality to free agents.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Props if the Wild actually get into the bidding for either Parise or Suter but let's be honest. The only reason Suter would sign with the Wild would simply be financial. If not, he'd stay in Nashville, who's core is much better.

Having said that, I thoroughly expect Detroit to sign BOTH players if they hit the open market. Illitch is getting up there and he's gonna reload with guns blazzin....
You do realize that a big part of Suter's decision is going to be his family right? Minnesota is a great place to live and if his kids want to play hockey, Minnesota beats everyone.

Suter has also said that whatever team he signs with, he wants to retire with. Minnesota is an upcoming team and is only going to get better in the coming years. Teams like Detroit however, are more on the decline than the rise.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
St. Louis isn't much better of a city than Detroit. Not too long ago they were competing for murder/crime capital of the U.S. (Which I believe belongs to ATL now)

Bloomfield Hills is a good area, the education quality in the burbs is insane. One of my friends has a relative that teaches in the area and actually taught a class with Eminem's daughter. The most I've heard is that she is taken care of "very well".

And to boot, if he were to retire in Detroit he's pretty much guaranteed a job in the organization if he wants one.

That's because of East St.Louis, which is actually in Illinois. You don't want to go across the river at night. The burbs in St.Louis are as good as any in the country.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:34 PM
Robert Theodorson

Hockey players,

The only people on Earth that can say, "I want to live in Detroit" with a straight face.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:35 PM
Kershaw

1. Detroit
2. Colorado
3. Minnesota

Old
06-14-2012, 08:37 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Hockey players,

The only people on Earth that can say, "I want to live in Detroit" with a straight face.
The Burbs in detroit are on par with any other cities. Yeah, the downtown's a hole, but living in the Burb's in detroit is liking living in the Burb's anywhere. It really is. And the commute from a nice surbarban gated community to downtown isn't nearly as bad as Chicago or NYC. If you skip rush hour you can get to the arena in 20 minutes easy.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
You can never have enough good players but with Pietrangelo and Shattenpants I wouldn't really say they have a "need".

There's also speculation that the Blues are on a somewhat tight budget.

And moving players you literally just signed is not an appealing quality to free agents.

Petro, Shatty and Polak all play on the right, the Blues need a stud LHD to pair with Petro.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:39 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Ehh, you can't make any guarantees, but I think Jarnkrok will end up being a very good player, and Jurco could be as well.

I think a low end projection for Nyquist would be 40 points annually, looks really good other than the fact that he seriously needs to gain weight.
I'm not saying that they won't be great players. But they aren't Datsyuk and Zetterberg. They aren't franchise players. Obviously they could come out of the blue and turn into PPG two-way beasts. But I think sometimes with Wings prospects, it's just taken for granted that they will.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:40 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
You do realize that a big part of Suter's decision is going to be his family right? Minnesota is a great place to live and if his kids want to play hockey, Minnesota beats everyone.

Suter has also said that whatever team he signs with, he wants to retire with. Minnesota is an upcoming team and is only going to get better in the coming years. Teams like Detroit however, are more on the decline than the rise.
Michigan's hockey is no doubt on par with anyone. Doesnt hurt that the Illitch family still runs Little Ceasars AAA program. That coupled with Detroit being a team with a reputation of taking care of their guys, etc. And we've also heard Detroit being on the decline for 20 years now.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:

Lol, people have been saying the Wings are on the decline for years now and it hasn't kept players from saying they'd like to go there.

More importantly, signing players like Suter helps stop any "decline" that people think they're headed towards...

Last edited by Wingsfan2965*: 06-14-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old
06-14-2012, 08:52 PM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Well, its a terrible argument really, so theres no point to keep saying it.

Every single city in the world is going to have its rich, safe suburbs, but that doesnt change the fact that Detroit in general is a dangerous city(in relative terms). Denver will have neighborhoods just like Bloomfield Hills in Detroit. The difference, Denver as an entire city is pretty safe, small, and has a great backdoors for Suter to enjoy. Detroit, simply put, does not.

Again, you dont need to go cry, Im sure Detroit still has a good shot at signing Suter, but if everything thats been said about Suters preferences is true, then Detroit would be one of the last teams he would want to sign with. Without Suter, theres nothing going for them at this point, With Suter its a different story.
Man, I'm an Avs fan (that lives in Detroit), and you sound so IGNORANT lol. You honestly know nothing about this area so stop spewing crap. The metro Detroit area is awesome, and Suter can go up north and to the Upper Peninsula to do his hunting. A ton of people in this area have cottages up north in the State where they go and hunt and fish and all that stuff.

Detroit is very much a player in the Suter sweepstakes and stop trying to sell this city short. Yikes.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

I would think Detroit would be his preferred destination....

Old
06-14-2012, 08:54 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

not saying it would be a huge factor or anything but I'd think the spotlight would be a bigger detractor for Suter in Detroit than any perceived decline in talent. It would go away after a while but while he's fresh there it'd be annoying to keep getting compared to Lidstrom. You know it's going to happen constantly. Any other FA defenseman Detroit could pull in wouldn't even merit the comparison so it wouldn't be an issue. If Suter is the quiet sort he's going to hate that.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:03 PM
NJRangers35

Suter and Parise package deal to Minnesota. I really believe it will happen

Closed Thread