HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

James van Riemsdyk

Old
06-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
Is it even a sure thing Jagr is back in Philly next season? Wasn't it a one year contract?
He's a UFA, but by most accounts enjoyed his time in Philadelphia. There seems to be strong mutual interest in having him back--though I have some reservations about his play down the stretch and in the playoffs.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 05:05 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
The Flyers are loaded with forwards and do not need Nash and his contract. Back to JVR. Due to a concussion and foot injury, JVR lost most of last season to injury and now is facing off-season shoulder surgery. While he was gone, he has fallen way down the depth chart. Assuming that he stays, where does he play?

The real question is, how does Philly fit under the cap next yr? They are up against it right now (assuming Carle has AiP). It's temporarily set at $70M, but it's unlikely to stay that high under a new CBA. They still have to re-sign Jagr, Voracek and JVRs big contract sets in. I think they have to move him, or someone others for cap reasons (similar to last yr).

SunshineRays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 06:08 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
The real question is, how does Philly fit under the cap next yr? They are up against it right now (assuming Carle has AiP). It's temporarily set at $70M, but it's unlikely to stay that high under a new CBA. They still have to re-sign Jagr, Voracek and JVRs big contract sets in. I think they have to move him, or someone others for cap reasons (similar to last yr).
They are fine under the cap, actually.

They could actually add either Parise or Suter without too much trouble--essentially, let Jagr or Carle walk, put Pronger on LTIR, etc.

They certainly don't need to dump salary just to resign their current guys.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:59 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
They are fine under the cap, actually.

They could actually add either Parise or Suter without too much trouble--essentially, let Jagr or Carle walk, put Pronger on LTIR, etc.

They certainly don't need to dump salary just to resign their current guys.
The cap is temp. set at $70M next season, it was $64.3M this season. Under a new CBA, its likely next yrs cap will prob be around $65M or less (much less if owners get their way).

According to Capgeek, Philly is already at $61.2M for next season (top 4 teams in league with least cap space next season). They still have Voracek, Carle, Jagr, Kabina, Bourdon to sign (if they want). They could place Pronger on LTIR and save $5M of cap space, but then they have to replace him also (thus reducing available cap space).

If cap is $65M next yr, they'd only have $3.5M of cap space to sign all the above guys. Carle himself will demand much more than that.
Keep in mind they also have major contracts due next summer (Hartnell, Simmonds, Timmo). They are going to have cap issues again next yr (just like last yr).

SunshineRays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:22 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
The cap is temp. set at $70M next season, it was $64.3M this season. Under a new CBA, its likely next yrs cap will prob be around $65M or less (much less if owners get their way).

According to Capgeek, Philly is already at $61.2M for next season (top 4 teams in league with least cap space next season). They still have Voracek, Carle, Jagr, Kabina, Bourdon to sign (if they want). They could place Pronger on LTIR and save $5M of cap space, but then they have to replace him also (thus reducing available cap space).

If cap is $65M next yr, they'd only have $3.5M of cap space to sign all the above guys. Carle himself will demand much more than that.
Keep in mind they also have major contracts due next summer (Hartnell, Simmonds, Timmo). They are going to have cap issues again next yr (just like last yr).
I don't think anyone seriosuly believes that the owners are going to be able to reduce the players' share of revenues that dramatically. The only other way to bring the cap down would be, I guess, to give some money back to NBC, or cut ticket prices. Neither seems likely to me.

More likely is a tweaking of the formula re: cap and floor. There is also no reason to believe that the bonus cushion won't be re-instituted, so you can reduce some of the cap hits considerably.

Re: the Flyers situation, you have things generally right. A few points. Kubina won't be back. he was horrible. Pronger will be on LTIR, so factor that in. Voracek does need a modest raise (to ~$3 million). Timonen will either retire or return to Finland after next year by most accounts, and his money will be used for Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, etc. Ditto Briere a few years later.

If you look at the team, the salary structure really is not bad at all. Briere is the only truly "bad" contract.

Even if you assume the bonus cushion is out, and the cap is $65, the Flyers can still ice the following roster--basically, everyone by Jagr, who I'm not sure I want back anyway.

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($3.250m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Danny Briere ($6.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m)
Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Eric Wellwood ($0.580m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m)
Jody Shelley ($1.100m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Matt Carle ($4.500m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Marc-Andre Bourdon ($0.875m)
Andreas Lilja ($0.738m) /

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,921,944; BONUSES: $3,555,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $5,378,056

Like I said, the Flyers really don't have any cap issues to speak of. This doesn't even include obvious cost-cutting measures--dumping Shelley, trading Bobrovsky and signing a $1 million backup, etc.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:51 PM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

If clb traded Nash to phi, the return would need to at least be....

Schenn or Couturier
JVR
2012 1st

.....anything less would not be worth it.

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:54 PM
cheesesteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrazor12 View Post

Schenn or Couturier
JVR
2012 1st

I don't even want Nash in the first place with that cap hit and for that price hell no.

cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:14 PM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I don't even want Nash in the first place with that cap hit and for that price hell no.
I agree with you. I don't think phi and clb make good trading partners. Phi has no reason to trade for Nash. They have all the offense in the world. If they wanted to trade JVR, it should be for a top ten pick or a solid d prospect with equal potential.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:

Schenn or Couturier
JVR
2012 1st

Nash wants out. Where is Poile's leverage to get that kind of price?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:41 PM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Nash wants out. Where is Poile's leverage to get that kind of price?
He is not demanding a trade. He said he would agree to a trade if Poile could make it mutual beneficial. Clb will be a better team next year, especially if they can get some decent goaltending. You don't trade Nash for spare parts for the sake of trading him. Nash has the talent to be a top ten winger in the league. Guys like him don't come around often. He will not be traded unless there is significant pieces coming back.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
He is not demanding a trade. He said he would agree to a trade if Poile could make it mutual beneficial. Clb will be a better team next year, especially if they can get some decent goaltending. You don't trade Nash for spare parts for the sake of trading him. Nash has the talent to be a top ten winger in the league. Guys like him don't come around often. He will not be traded unless there is significant pieces coming back.
This sounds like someone trying to put a nice spin on Rick Nash asking for a trade. If it were up to me (which of course it isn't), I wouldn't be willing to part with more than two of the three assets you asked for, unless one of them was the first, in which case I might throw in another pick. That's just my opinion, and I'm not saying you'd be nuts to ask for more. The Flyers certainly have needs, but they just don't have a need for Nash's skills at that price and salary. Surely there would be other interested teams. Toronto maybe.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Nash wants out.
Wrong. "Willing" is not the same as "eager".

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:58 PM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

Quote:
This sounds like someone trying to put a nice spin on Rick Nash asking for a trade. If it were up to me (which of course it isn't), I wouldn't be willing to part with more than two of the three assets you asked for, unless one of them was the first, in which case I might throw in another pick. That's just my opinion, and I'm not saying you'd be nuts to ask for more. The Flyers certainly have needs, but they just don't have a need for Nash's skills at that price and salary. Surely there would be other interested teams. Toronto maybe.

Like I said earlier, phi does not need Nash.

Im not saying they would give up that package for Nash. I'm saying clb will not take less.

I actually see only a handful of teams being solid trading partners with clb for Nash.

STL, OTT, and NYI. TOR could be a fit but they need a center first. But it Burke so who knows.

The first three teams have the assets to acquire someone like Nash without gutting their current squad.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Wrong. "Willing" is not the same as "eager".
Didn't Howson have a press conference after the trade deadline where he came right out and said "Rick Nash asked for a trade". That's pretty cut and dried, unless I'm delusional?

EDIT: "He approached us and asked us to consider trading him." - Scott Howson

That was right after the trade deadline. Dude asked for a trade. Like I said, Nash wants out. You can sugar coat it with gentle language all you want, but it's crystal clear. You don't risk going to your boss suggesting a change a scenery unless your mind is made up. And Howson certainly doesn't want someone playing for him who's heart is clearly not in Columbus anymore. Any other perspective than this just seems like willful denial. Howson can dress it up as diplomatically an tactfully as he wants, it is what it is.

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 06-14-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old
06-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Frodo Baggins

JVR does NOT need hip surgery "cue the trade rumors"

Dreger reports that JVR does not need hip surgery (Eskin must be full of it) and will be ready for training camp.

Does this increase his value?

Trade coming to CBJ?

Also:

Aaron Portzline, a writer for CBJ stated the following on twitter:

http://cl.ly/3N0M2M411l0Q0F0F1D1c/Sc...11.23%20PM.png

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline
Many have asked about #CBJ - #Flyers rumors. Could Nash be traded to Philly? Absolutely. Could/would James VanRiemsdyk be part of return?

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline
Absolutely. But was told earlier this week - and TSN confirmed it tonight - that Van Riemsdyk was NOT delaying surgery to avoid being traded

Okay, so if a writer for CBJ is being told anything by a source regarding JVR of the Flyers not holding up a trade to the CBJ because of a surgery, doesn't that sort of indicate that there is something there linking CBJ and JVR?

Why else would he be told that JVR isn't delaying a trade to the Blue Jackets...

Interesting, I think.

Last edited by Frodo Baggins: 06-14-2012 at 10:18 PM. Reason: More information
Frodo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:19 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
For the love of God, I hope Nash is moved soon. It's starting to feel like Kaberle 2.0.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
For the love of God, I hope Nash is moved soon. It's starting to feel like Kaberle 2.0.
Aye, such is the nature of these boards, no?

Old
06-14-2012, 09:22 PM
650X2

Quote:
1 week to go.

650X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Quote:
Nah feels nothing like that

Kaberle drama dragged on for many years/trade deadlines

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:25 PM
Top Cheese Danish

So his hip just... magically got better? Just in time for July 1st?

I see what you did there, Holmgren.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:26 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 2507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagne Come Back View Post
So his hip just... magically got better? Just in time for July 1st?

I see what you did there, Holmgren.
The gm would make sure the trade is pending physical. I'm not sure if all trades are pending physical as it is anyways.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:28 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Eskin full of it?

you don't say.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:28 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

That's true. Man, I remember all that. What was it, like three years and at least two deadlines and offseasons?

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:31 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

And Nash is much more valuable and younger than Kaberle at this point.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Colton2233

Jvr for lou... Give Briz some under the table $ to go and play in KHL. Free up his cap hit if he goes I believe.

Colton2233 is offline   Reply With Quote