HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gallant hired as Therrien's first assistant Coach

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-14-2012, 08:30 PM
  #101
Vi Nc E x13x
Registered User
 
Vi Nc E x13x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
I think it has something to do with his history of his teams giving up ~40 shots per game.
its okay gorges will cut it down to 33 a game

Vi Nc E x13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:45 PM
  #102
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,132
vCash: 500
Not a fan of the entire coaching staff so far but I'm willing to give them a chance.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:50 PM
  #103
Subban76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Screams " positive discrimination towards anglo coaches " to me. Gallant was, Q-wise, a middle-of-the-pack coach at the very best.

Maybe he has redeeming qualities as an assistant?
?

You do know that Gallant is an anglophone? Barelly speaks french!

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:03 PM
  #104
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
?

You do know that Gallant is an anglophone? Barelly speaks french!
...Can you read?

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:09 PM
  #105
Subban76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
...Can you read?
I'm french. I don't get every single english post right. I was sure you were implying that Gallant is french. Sorry.

I guess it's the ''positive'' that makes it ok?

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:09 PM
  #106
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, cālisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
The knock on gallant is that he was gifted power house teams, and even then they still managed to underwhelm in certain instances, as recently as this year's memorial cup.
1000% right. He ALMOST lost the Q championship last season against a much weaker Gatineau team. Got outcoached by Groulx like you wouldn't have believed it. Couldn't figure out Groulx' matchup strategy. And it almost blew up in his face.

This year, with the most talented lineup at the Mem Cup, his team just didn't show up at all.

Don't like that. The guys that didn't want Patrick Roy as coach, well, to be honest, Gerard Gallant was much worse than him. He had the best lineup a Q coach had since probably the Burns years in Hull.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:11 PM
  #107
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, cālisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Come on...The PLAYERS were the men behind their sucess...not the coaching staff. This is the Juniors we are talking about. And when you are stacked, you just are. Where was Mike Kelly in the Mem Cup?

The real man in the Q is J-F Houle. Nobody else.
Ben Groulx says hi.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:19 PM
  #108
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Ben Groulx says hi.
Personnally, I have Houle ahead of Groulx while he's not THAT far behind. Houle is also younger and you would have more room to groom him slowly from let say assistant in Hamilton to coach and then join the NHL....unless somebody grabs him Boucher style which would not surprise me at all.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:23 PM
  #109
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
1000% right. He ALMOST lost the Q championship last season against a much weaker Gatineau team. Got outcoached by Groulx like you wouldn't have believed it. Couldn't figure out Groulx' matchup strategy. And it almost blew up in his face.

This year, with the most talented lineup at the Mem Cup, his team just didn't show up at all.

Don't like that. The guys that didn't want Patrick Roy as coach, well, to be honest, Gerard Gallant was much worse than him. He had the best lineup a Q coach had since probably the Burns years in Hull.
Don't disagree with any of this. Yet, I have a hard time seeing how Mike Kelly was THE man behind the success in St.John while some will say his St.John team underperformed....so what is it? When they played great it's all on Kelly, but when they underperformed, it's all on Gallant? I'm not ecstatic about that acquisition. I believe that if they go on a 2 assistants mode, that Jodoin would have been preferable than him based on the fact that he's a very well known tactician, and knows a lot of the guys we have here and are about to have. And then you add the d-man specialist/young guy in Daigneault for example. But my concern is bringing Jodoin and Gallant. Don't see the complementary skills....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:24 PM
  #110
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, cālisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Personnally, I have Houle ahead of Groulx while he's not THAT far behind. Houle is also younger and you would have more room to groom him slowly from let say assistant in Hamilton to coach and then join the NHL....unless somebody grabs him Boucher style which would not surprise me at all.
Houle is not ahead of Groulx, man. Wow, the kid is just starting. And the other guy has warped the league for many years. He's good, but not Groulx-like. Groulx SHOULDN'T even be in the Q. He's wasting his time if you ask me. And I think he's getting bored coaching in the Q.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:35 PM
  #111
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Houle is not ahead of Groulx, man. Wow, the kid is just starting. And the other guy has warped the league for many years. He's good, but not Groulx-like. Groulx SHOULDN'T even be in the Q. He's wasting his time if you ask me. And I think he's getting bored coaching in the Q.
Well that's my understanding of Houle's potential. Let just say that I did go often in Blainville this year, and happened to be quite a few times behind the bench. Talked to a lot of people, saw and heard him work a bench, saw what he did with Lewiston, saw what he did with Blainville, he's CLEARLY a guy I don't want the Habs to let go. There are some questions marks with Groulx as far as being a tactician is concerned. And I personnally prefer Houle's approach as a player's coach than Groulx. Again, though, it's not like I'm talking about Bowman versus Bob Berry here. Just that I prefer, for the long run, to see the Habs retaining Houle than Groulx. But would have take those 2 guys with us any day of the week. My ideal trio in Hamilton would have been to see Lefebvre going with Houle and Groulx. Both of whom I have ahead of Tourigny.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:46 PM
  #112
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, cālisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well that's my understanding of Houle's potential. Let just say that I did go often in Blainville this year, and happened to be quite a few times behind the bench. Talked to a lot of people, saw and heard him work a bench, saw what he did with Lewiston, saw what he did with Blainville, he's CLEARLY a guy I don't want the Habs to let go. There are some questions marks with Groulx as far as being a tactician is concerned. And I personnally prefer Houle's approach as a player's coach than Groulx. Again, though, it's not like I'm talking about Bowman versus Bob Berry here. Just that I prefer, for the long run, to see the Habs retaining Houle than Groulx. But would have take those 2 guys with us any day of the week. My ideal trio in Hamilton would have been to see Lefebvre going with Houle and Groulx. Both of whom I have ahead of Tourigny.
Do they invite coaches from other leagues to the combines, like they just did with Houle?

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:55 PM
  #113
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In space..with goats
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,314
vCash: 500
Huberdeau congratulated Gallant on Twitter before it's announced.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:59 PM
  #114
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Do they invite coaches from other leagues to the combines, like they just did with Houle?
I believe that this is coming from plenty of journalists that were asking for that to happen. It is the first time that I see this, usually they use the Lawson of this work for skating and all, and Q junior coaches with no affiliations? I believe it's the first time but I may be wrong. They are just doing a favor to Q coaches in need of more things to learn. Great for them to do that. I hope they see Houle as more than that. I hope that he used his time to talk to Lefebvre.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:01 PM
  #115
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,589
vCash: 500
And another things.....we need a calming influence behind the bench. If they indeed go with 2 assistants only, well at least, Jodoin will be that calming influence. 'Cause frankly, I don't want to replace the bench penalties for too many men on the ice by bench penalties for unsportsmanlike conduct. Gallant showed a whole lot of stupidity in the last Mem Cup when he put his team down 5 on 3 in a key situation because he was name calling the refs over and over and over again.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:09 PM
  #116
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Would not have been my choice. Not that I dislike this hiring as is, but this is not how I portray a coaching staff unless we do intent to go with 4 assistant coaches. 1 upstairs and 2 beside Therrien, if so, I don't have that much of a problem with. If not, and if you bring Jodoin on top of that, there's 2 things missing....1 guy that will teach our d-men (and don't say Brisebois will do it please...) and 1 younger guy like Mulller or Gélinas who does have NHL experience and CLEARLY be the player's coach.

My ideal assistant duo would have been Laperričre and 1 of Daigneault or Robinson. Now, it surely looks like it would be Jodoin and Gallant...again....hoping it becomes 3 assistants with room for either the D specialist or the younger guy. Mind you, you get Daigneault, and you get the younger d-man guy....perfect choice in those circumstances....Somehow, I don't hold my breath.
Well the way I see is that the Habs have Therrien for veteran coach, then you add an up and coming coach(they chose Gallant) then you pick a former player for the D. That's where they could pick JJ Daigneault. And if they want Jodoin could be the guy upstairs.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:13 PM
  #117
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well that's my understanding of Houle's potential. Let just say that I did go often in Blainville this year, and happened to be quite a few times behind the bench. Talked to a lot of people, saw and heard him work a bench, saw what he did with Lewiston, saw what he did with Blainville, he's CLEARLY a guy I don't want the Habs to let go. There are some questions marks with Groulx as far as being a tactician is concerned. And I personnally prefer Houle's approach as a player's coach than Groulx. Again, though, it's not like I'm talking about Bowman versus Bob Berry here. Just that I prefer, for the long run, to see the Habs retaining Houle than Groulx. But would have take those 2 guys with us any day of the week. My ideal trio in Hamilton would have been to see Lefebvre going with Houle and Groulx. Both of whom I have ahead of Tourigny.
I doubt that Groulx would work as assistant in Hamilton though.

About Houle, he's good but he's just starting, the Habs will have plenty of time to get him.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:19 PM
  #118
Belso
Registered User
 
Belso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,699
vCash: 500
The guy knows his hockey. 2 time CHL coach of the year, 3 time president trophy winner and won a memorial cup.

This move I like...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:57 PM
  #119
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And another things.....we need a calming influence behind the bench. If they indeed go with 2 assistants only, well at least, Jodoin will be that calming influence. 'Cause frankly, I don't want to replace the bench penalties for too many men on the ice by bench penalties for unsportsmanlike conduct. Gallant showed a whole lot of stupidity in the last Mem Cup when he put his team down 5 on 3 in a key situation because he was name calling the refs over and over and over again.
As a player Gallant didn't live up to his name.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:15 PM
  #120
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In space..with goats
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Come on...The PLAYERS were the men behind their sucess...not the coaching staff. This is the Juniors we are talking about. And when you are stacked, you just are. Where was Mike Kelly in the Mem Cup?

The real man in the Q is J-F Houle. Nobody else.
Uhhhh Kelly was lifting the Mem Cup after his hard work as GM who built this team through strong drafting and solid trades.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:28 AM
  #121
JohnnyB11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saint John, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
No, with the Sea Dogs he was absolutely terrible. He had an enormously stacked team in Saint John. It would have taken a special kind of idiot to mess up that roster.

I was a Sea Dog ticket holder and trust me when I say he was terrible. If it weren't for Mike Kelly things most likely would have gotten ugly.

I am not thrilled by this move. His answers will be a lot like Therrien's, working harder will be the solution for everything.
Well, just to balance things out I too was a Sea Dog season ticket holder and I thought he was absolutely brilliant. That's not taking anything away from Mike Kelly, but Gerard Gallant did a hell of a job in SJ.

And I'm not the only one who thinks so - In spite of being 'absolutely terrible', He was nominated for the Ron Lapointe Trophy all three years he was here, winning the award twice. But obviously, like the Habs, the Q brass didn't have a clue either, is that what you're saying??

Players loved playing for him, in fact just yesterday Mike Kelly was quoted saying " It's imperative that a head coach establish an environment where players are having fun and enjoying the experience yet still held accountable. He brings that as well as anyone I've seen".

As a STH, you must have seen the Dogs play the odd listless period as I did. I knew full well they'd come back out like madmen after Gallant had a word with them, and that's exactly the way it worked. Again, no credit to Gallant though, right?

The amount of negativity surrounding this hire baffles me. I for one am thrilled with the admin team being assembled here, right from Bergevin on down. Sad that after last seasons mess, the clean up is in full effect and there is still complaints. I guess that's just the way it always will be in Habland.


Last edited by JohnnyB11: 06-15-2012 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention he won the Kilrea award once too, CHL coach of the year. Despite being 'absolutely terrible'. What a joke.
JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:33 AM
  #122
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,385
vCash: 500
Good hire, he essentially replaces Muller, really, a players coach with some fire and passion...

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:37 AM
  #123
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
Well, just to balance things out I too was a Sea Dog season ticket holder and I thought he was absolutely brilliant. That's not taking anything away from Mike Kelly, but Gerard Gallant did a hell of a job in SJ.

And I'm not the only one who thinks so - In spite of being 'absolutely terrible', He was nominated for the Ron Lapointe Trophy all three years he was here, winning the award twice. But obviously, like the Habs, the Q brass didn't have a clue either, is that what you're saying??

Players loved playing for him, in fact just yesterday Mike Kelly was quoted saying " It's imperative that a head coach establish an environment where players are having fun and enjoying the experience yet still held accountable. He brings that as well as anyone I've seen".

As a STH, you must have seen the Dogs play the odd listless period as I did. I knew full well they'd come back out like madmen after Gallant had a word with them, and that's exactly the way it worked. Again, no credit to Gallant though, right?

The amount of negativity surrounding this hire baffles me. I for one am thrilled with the admin team being assembled here, right from Bergevin on down. Sad that after last seasons mess, the clean up is in full effect and there is still complaints. I guess that's just the way it always will be in Habland.
No, I didn't say that the Q brass doesn't have a clue, but like many awards, a teams record plays a huge role in the decision making. I could of won coach of the year with that team. Gallants practices and in game tactical strategies were amateurish at best. Kelly was the x's and o's guy without question. This isn't even debatable.

Gallant brings more of exactly what Therrien brings and that include very little system and more work harder, work harder mantra.

I am not complaining about everything. I am, however, very skeptical of some of the recent hirings. Gallant being one of the worst.

habsfanatics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:39 AM
  #124
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,484
vCash: 500
Arpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu
#Habs make it official, announce hiring of Gerrard Gallant as assistant coach

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:26 AM
  #125
JohnnyB11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saint John, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
No, I didn't say that the Q brass doesn't have a clue, but like many awards, a teams record plays a huge role in the decision making. I could of won coach of the year with that team. Gallants practices and in game tactical strategies were amateurish at best. Kelly was the x's and o's guy without question. This isn't even debatable.

Gallant brings more of exactly what Therrien brings and that include very little system and more work harder, work harder mantra.

I am not complaining about everything. I am, however, very skeptical of some of the recent hirings. Gallant being one of the worst.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. I feel you seem to think a talented team will run itself - a lot of egos there, even as teenagers (or maybe I should say 'especially' as teenagers). A lot of these kids were the superstars of their teams growing up, and without superior coaching you can have a real mess on your hands. Think about this past season, how much time was missed by the teams top talent, and still able to take top spot in the Q. Have a look at the names in the box scores if you don't remember, again coaching has a lot to do with that. And just as I don't shortchange Kelly in all that, you can't just skip over Gallant's role.

Your team doesn't have to have the best record to have a coach be considered for a coaching award. At the same time, you can't penalize a coach if his team is terrific and call his coaching absolutely terrible.

And with all due respect, I highly doubt that you could have won coach of the year with the Sea Dogs, any more than I could have.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.