HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez: What's Being Done?

Old
06-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Player 61
#Winning

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
The end of last season. sure the Habs were out! But he stopped taking games serious, when you lace up the skates you take them all serious!

He may have stayed out past 3AM on game nights, heard it all before So did Shayne Corson, but Shayne never stopped playing & showed up for work everyday!!! Also if Shayne didn't score, he fought! Gomex brings Zero to this team or this City!

Gomez must leave, no matter what! Just way to negative at this point. Nuff Said!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Valois

He just doesn't seem to have a spot on the team now. The thing is, a lot of guys play worse under a coach - we see that with Kovalev and Gonchar under Clouston. But Gomez went a full year without scoring a goal - you've gotta think there's something else going on.

He seems like a good guy, and I'd love it if he found his stride again, but the team's gotta use that 7 million on someone who can help them.

Valois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:33 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
My understanding is that Fat Tony will take care of him . . .
Marinaro?

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:35 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Marinaro?
Ha! Ha! Simpsons, Never saw the Montreal connection to it till now.
That's it Marinaro is "Fat Tony" from now on...

Old
06-14-2012, 08:40 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Bergevin said in a report that there's been no decision on Gomez yet.

There's the whole summer and iirc the habs can go up to 10% over the cap without penalty until the season starts.
Exactly. The smart thing to do is go over the cap in summer(Flyers do it all the time) with UFA signings, float Gomer for 2 months and see if we can get anyone to take him until just before camp, then gas him if no one takes him. Ideally don't have him at camp, a distraction to to say the least.

Although: keeping him through camp increases the chance another team has a big injury at center, and gets desperate.

If they act early on Gomer, then they are foolish. I'll be pissed off.

Don't expect anything until September, unless Gomer or another team initiates it.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Et le But

Gomez wants to stay to help us get Mackinnon.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:37 PM
nhlfan9191

Bergy will take him behind the shed.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPac67 View Post
The end of last season. sure the Habs were out! But he stopped taking games serious, when you lace up the skates you take them all serious!

He may have stayed out past 3AM on game nights, heard it all before So did Shayne Corson, but Shayne never stopped playing & showed up for work everyday!!! Also if Shayne didn't score, he fought! Gomex brings Zero to this team or this City!

Gomez must leave, no matter what! Just way to negative at this point. Nuff Said!
Not to defend Gomez, but RC did not use one single forward properly.
He put three guys that he liked together because they created offensive pressure and refused to separate them even though they weren't making us win. He even refused to break them up on the PP despite us having one of the worst one in the NHL. He used Gomez on the 4th line but gave him regular PP shifts. He broke up the Eller-AK duo that worked all season, turned AK into a 4th liner, dropping his value to the lowest. He used scrappers on top 6. He benched Eller after giving him a task he was bound to fail (shutting down Datsyuk). He benched Eller for the whole 3rd period and OT only to use him as the 3rd shooter in the Shootout. He turned Plekanec into a 3rd line center.

Really, not making excuses for anybody, but when you have a coach that takes so many bad decisions, and you're clearly out of the POs, it's not surprising players weren't motivated.

As for Gomez, there's no point in just wasting him away now. I'm hoping management will build the team as if he's off the cap. If they fail to bring in free agents (or simply judge to wait due to lack of talent available), then maybe they can keep him here and figure out how to use him properly. They can ship him down to minors whenever they feel he's a nuisance.

Last edited by Kriss E: 06-14-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:55 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Not to defend Gomez, but RC did not use one single forward properly.
He put three guys that he liked together because they created offensive pressure and refused to separate them even though they weren't making us win. He even refused to break them up on the PP despite us having one of the worst one in the NHL. He used Gomez on the 4th line but gave him regular PP shifts. He broke up the Eller-AK duo that worked all season, turned AK into a 4th liner, dropping his value to the lowest. He used scrappers on top 6. He benched Eller after giving him a task he was bound to fail (shutting down Datsyuk). He benched Eller for the whole 3rd period and OT only to use him as the 3rd shooter in the Shootout. He turned Plekanec into a 3rd line center.

Really, not making excuses for anybody, but when you have a coach that takes so many bad decisions, and you're clearly out of the POs, it's not surprising players weren't motivated.
A Rookie Coach that was thrown under the bus. Still as a league veteran you gotta have some respect for the Sweater, the Symbol & yourself! As a Native Montreal'er it males me sad to see players like that!

Old
06-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
A Rookie Coach that was thrown under the bus. Still as a league veteran you gotta have some respect for the Sweater, the Symbol & yourself! As a Native Montreal'er it males me sad to see players like that!
I don't care how green RC was. He was an AHL for years, there's no excuse for some of his in-game decisions.
I understand your pride, but I don't think it's as simple as that. Anyways, it's in the past.

For next year, there's no point in doing anything with Gomez yet.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:15 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't care how green RC was. He was an AHL for years, there's no excuse for some of his in-game decisions.
I understand your pride, but I don't think it's as simple as that. Anyways, it's in the past.

For next year, there's no point in doing anything with Gomez yet.
With Respect! Gomez is all at fault! Injured or not, he wasn't at end of season, you don't Dog it in Montreal. This ain't Tampa, this is the Island that invented the freaking game!

If you don't want to play Hockey, then voluntary retire!

Old
06-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
With Respect! Gomez is all at fault! Injured or not, he wasn't at end of season, you don't Dog it in Montreal. This ain't Tampa, this is the Island that invented the freaking game!

If you don't want to play Hockey, then voluntary retire!
Dude, easier said than done. What if Gomez just doesn't have it anymore? What if he's just not as good as he used to? What if what you were seeing is actually him trying?

I've been a trainer for 2-3years now, and trust me, I've had all kinds of clients. You can tell which are being lazy, which just don't have much to give and which are trying but are lacking motivation. All we're seeing is Gomez through a camera. We don't know the guy, his life, his views, his ambitions, his actual physical condition, we pretty much don't know jack.

Again, I'm not trying to defend him and I understand your pride. I just don't think it's as easy as ''You wear the CH, well you're supposed to give it your all ALL THE TIME. If you don't then it means you're purposely dogging it.''

Old
06-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Teufelsdreck

NEWSFLASH

Bergevin called an exorcist.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:30 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Marc Bergevin has Martin Lapointe, Patrice Brisebois, Rick Dudley, Scott Melanby, Larry Carrière, Pierre Gervais and a team of cracked up lawyers reading this thread, reporting all possible options back

In a shorter way: Nothing.

You know it's June 14 right? There is no rush and that's the only answer coming from the GM IIRC.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:29 AM
JSBach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Not to defend him (laugh if you wish), since my expectations are so low, but...it would be amazing if Therrien found a way to revive his career.

I still don't think that'll happen here, but hey, I think Therrien would win a lot of people over if that happened.

More realistically: he needs to go somewhere on a cheap, low-term deal and prove himself again, out of the spotlight.
I could see him finishing off as a consistent 50 point guy for the rest of his career in a new environment, could even be a valuable addition to a team if he has a reasonable salary; seems like a good team guy and has as much experience as anyone could ask for. It's not going to work here, though.

JSBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:31 AM
Kikizaz

Please leave him behind!! However, he still produced more than Bourque and we plan on keeping him...

god i hate that trade.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:35 AM
habfaninvictoria

His contract is ****.... but lets pretend we keep him cause no teams stooopid enough to take his contract and/or we don't sign the big fish free agent.

If you pretend that his contract has one less zero in it, then he's actually a pretty good player.... if only we could pretend.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:39 AM
Kikizaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
His contract is ****.... but lets pretend we keep him cause no teams stooopid enough to take his contract and/or we don't sign the big fish free agent.

If you pretend that his contract has one less zero in it, then he's actually a pretty good player.... if only we could pretend.
woah, another habs fan in victoria :O

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 05:02 AM
wedge

the wise thing to do would be to wait until a new CBA is signed. If there's an amnesty clause, he would be bought out without a doubt.

The rest is just about money. And in the end, it'll be Geoff Molson's decision.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 06:21 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
Please leave him behind!! However, he still produced more than Bourque and we plan on keeping him...

god i hate that trade.
Bourque makes 3.3 mil and Gomez makes 7.35 mil in terms of cap hit...it's a joke they are mentionned in the same sentence. It would be dumb to move Bourque at this point, I think he can be a cap bargain if he bounces back, 25 goal scorers usually cost 5 mil not 3.3 mil.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 06:47 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
We'd be...happy? lol.
this board does not know the meaning of the word

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:18 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post

Thing is he's not even a good hockey player anymore, honestly if he could've became a third line centre who was solid defensively and chipped in with points it wouldn't be as big of a deal... but he's flat out awful and doesn't do anything that can help our team out.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:31 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Thing is he's not even a good hockey player anymore, honestly if he could've became a third line centre who was solid defensively and chipped in with points it wouldn't be as big of a deal... but he's flat out awful and doesn't do anything that can help our team out.
The erosion factor of Gomez's talent has been insane, he lost it over the past couple of seasons right in front of everyone's eyes....not even Gomez himself knows what happened..

There is no way he is on the Habs next year, he will flee to Europe and we will get to spend the money elsewhere...I hope...

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:36 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
The erosion factor of Gomez's talent has been insane, he lost it over the past couple of seasons right in front of everyone's eyes....not even Gomez himself knows what happened..

There is no way he is on the Habs next year, he will flee to Europe and we will get to spend the money elsewhere...I hope...
I don't think he has necessarily lost his skill but he can't be effective in Montreal, the contract and trade(McDonagh) is too heavy a burden. If he was to get a fresh start elswhere he would probably bounce back pretty good, unfortunately the habs can't afford that in terms of buyout(8 mil cap room down the toilet for 12-13 and 13-14) or re-entry waivers(3.67 mil cap hit each of the next two years, 7.35 mil total).

I think it would not be fair of G.Molson to ask that of his rookie GM to start out 4 mil short in cap room the next 2 years trying to "fix" the team with a weak UFA class to boot.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:07 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Well, we've hit the opening of the buyout period, anyway. Not that there is any big expectation that a buyout would be the answer, but if that's the way management was leaning they could get on it now. We'll soon be able to cross that option off the list, if nothing else.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote