HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Roster Thoughts and Offseason Speculation for the 2012-2013 Season

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 07:16 PM
bobafettish*

vCash: 500
what can bernier, lotki and clifford land?

Old
06-14-2012, 07:29 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I don't see the Kings moving Clifford at all. He's still so young and he's a good depth forward to carry on the roster in case they need some size and toughness in the lineup. Loktionov may have to spend another season in Manchester as I can't see his value being too high right now and the Monarchs do need a highly skilled center like him to carry the team's offense. As far as Bernier goes, I'm thinking Lombardi replenishes the cupboard with some high draft picks.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

I'm all for resigning Penner. You don't want to break up a line like Penner-Richards-Carter; they have alot of chemistry and have everything you need. Hit hard, the line can cycle or take it to the net, Penner clears room for players like Richards to pass to Carter. Sutter is loved by Penner and he seems to have brought the best out of the powerforward. That might also be the end of his divorce helping him. But the fact remains Penner loves it on this team and loves Sutter as a coach. I say he resigns for 2 years at 2.5 to 3.3 million per.

Signing Penner would put ut out of the market for a winger. With Brown, Williams, Penner, Carter, King, Gagne, Nolan, Lewis, Clifford, and Nolan the Kings won't need another wing.

I think Stoll may come back but I'd like to see what we could do without him. Would let Carter and Richards play center full time and spread the talent even more. Or we call up Loktionov and have a skilled 3rd line with King and Gagne. We don't need that line to be the shutdown line with the Kopitar and Richards lines doing that alot this year. And Sutter loves that Fraser line against anyone. I would have confidence in Nolan-Fraser-Lewis against any line.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:26 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
Well there was a thread on the main where bernier and muzzin for connelly and 19th overall was generally agreed apon. Lotki s name come up in a thread with dallas and they seemed fine trading for him giving up Glennie or 2nd and 4th picks. Clifford i wouldn't be suprized to see a 2nd offered

Old
06-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Craig MacTavish discusses what a mistake it was to let Matt Greene and Jarret Stoll go:
http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_deman...-Interview.mp3

When you hear other NHL execs speak that highly of your players, then you start to appreciate just how special these guys are. Some of us (myself included) sometimes get hung up on some simple mistakes and lose sight of the big picture with the impact these role players have on the team.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:58 PM
deeshamrock

As much as I like Penner and think the more that line plays together, the better they'll be (esp since they seem to be tight off the ice, good frends) And I think he seems to be a very good teammate, it appears he's very popular , a funny guy who keeps the lockeroom loose. As much as he wants to stay a King, I think DL is going to go after Parise. He won't sign both and what if someone else offers Penner a nice piece of change?

Stoll- good third line fit, great PK'er and was terrific in the playoffs, esp against the devils. I liked that line, and think King esp. will have a great year next year. I think he loves LA and would want to stay, but he's a valuable asset and there are teams that might put a good offer in , like the Hawks for example.

I guess we'll find out soon enough July1 is only a couple weeks away.

What about Toffoli? When does he get a shot?

Old
06-14-2012, 10:16 PM
gonnaneedsomewine

I do not want Penner back at all. Thanks for your contributions during the playoffs, but see ya.

He upped his game in the playoffs and made some big plays for us, but I would not let myself get lured in. I think the only reason he turned it on down the stretch was to set himself up for his next contract. That's just the type of guy he is. He hasn't changed or had an epiphany. As soon as he gets his next deal, he'll throttle it down just like he always has.

You give him the security of a 2-3 year deal and you will see the dog in Penner come out again. He'll come into camp out of shape and loaf around the ice until his next contract year. Penner is antithetical to what Dean has been trying to build here.

Don't let the Stanley Cup win erase how much of a colossal disaster Penner was for basically his whole tenure in LA.

I'd rather spend the cap space elsewhere.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:31 PM
KingLB

Quote:
For what purpose?

(besides Bernier)

Old
06-14-2012, 10:59 PM
no name

It's crazy that we're even discussing this but if I had to choose between Penner and Stoll at similiar contracts I take Penner. Penner has a better chance of outproducing his contract. Stoll is safer.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:14 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
For what purpose?

(besides Bernier)
uh we have a glut of forwards, can't play them all. with nolan and king, clifford is redundant. i also think a lot of teams would covet him. lotki is never gonna fit on the 3rd line.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:23 PM
KingLB

Quote:
uh we have a glut of forwards, can't play them all. with nolan and king, clifford is redundant. i also think a lot of teams would covet him. lotki is never gonna fit on the 3rd line.
Clifford is 21?? King was redundant with Penner in the system, good thing we didn't move him. Nolan was redundant with Simmonds in the system....VV was redundant with JJ/Hickey/JD in the system. Muzzin is redundant with WM/Greene in the system....Lewis was redundant with Richardson on the team. Quick was redundant with Bernier almost ready a few years ago.....etc....etc

Why can't Loki be a third line center?? Briere and Giroux each took turns at third line center for Philly the year they went to the cup. Also with Richards injury history and Stolls arthritis, why would you not have a back up plan in place? Look how important having guys from the minors were to the team this year.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:51 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Clifford is 21?? King was redundant with Penner in the system, good thing we didn't move him. Nolan was redundant with Simmonds in the system....VV was redundant with JJ/Hickey/JD in the system. Muzzin is redundant with WM/Greene in the system....Lewis was redundant with Richardson on the team. Quick was redundant with Bernier almost ready a few years ago.....etc....etc

Why can't Loki be a third line center?? Briere and Giroux each took turns at third line center for Philly the year they went to the cup. Also with Richards injury history and Stolls arthritis, why would you not have a back up plan in place? Look how important having guys from the minors were to the team this year.
I agree with this. I'd start both Clifford and Loki in Manchester next year and they would no doubt spend time in LA during the season. The guys I can see being traded are Bernier and Hickey. Hickey would either be in the Bernier trade, or as a swap for another prospect who needs a change of scenery.

Old
06-15-2012, 12:46 AM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
I agree with this. I'd start both Clifford and Loki in Manchester next year and they would no doubt spend time in LA during the season. The guys I can see being traded are Bernier and Hickey. Hickey would either be in the Bernier trade, or as a swap for another prospect who needs a change of scenery.
This x1000. Please for the love of my heart, don't move Lokti. Give him an actual fresh start next year with Sutts and hopefully a new assistant when Kompon is fired.

I actually would not be sad whatsoever if Clifford is gone but then again, I'd rather send him to the A to try and re-find his game.

Old
06-15-2012, 01:02 AM
Martyros

Clifford? Redundant? There is only one Clifford on this team, and he stays.

Old
06-15-2012, 01:46 AM
gonnaneedsomewine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
Despite the complications Lombardi had with Edmonton regarding the Smyth trade, I'd love to see what they'd want for Magnus Paajarvi.

When you look at the vast amount of offensive talent they have, as well as the fact that they are likely going to take Yakupov #1 overall and still need significant help on the back end, I wonder if they'd be interested in swapping Hickey for Magnus Paajarvi.

Both have not lived up to their expectations and are seemingly running out of time/space with their current organizations. Both guys could use a change of scenery, and Edmonton could definitely use the help on D while LA could easily use a young speedy winger with some big time scoring upside.

Old
06-15-2012, 02:20 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Clifford will be in the AHL next year imo. It will be better for him to get a full year down there, than only play 30 games on the 4th line with the big club

Old
06-15-2012, 04:49 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

As much as I love to have Parise, I think its time we let another youngster to have a chance. A guy like Toffoli or Vey, maybe Kitsyn. We can't risk signing big contracts/ caps. We have to keep it stable because the Max cap will decline.

Old
06-15-2012, 05:18 AM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
As much as I love to have Parise, I think its time we let another youngster to have a chance. A guy like Toffoli or Vey, maybe Kitsyn. We can't risk signing big contracts/ caps. We have to keep it stable because the Max cap will decline.
Toffoli IMO has zero shot next year. At MINIMUM he needs a year in the A. I'd say 2-3 will serve him better if he ever does pan out. Vey I'm not sure. I think it's in his best interest to start the year in the A logging big minutes and if he tears it up, give him a cup of coffee. He's only got one year as a pro. Kitsyn still has a year on his deal in Russia. He's obviously got no out clause or the Kings probably would have had him come over this year so I'm not so sure any of those 3 are NHL ready next year but I would say Vey is definitely the closest to being there.

Old
06-15-2012, 05:18 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARFACE909 View Post
Parise would be great but you think they'd be able to afford him at 7M? They need to sign Quick and Brown is up in 2 years as well, also don't assume the cap will be 70.3M as of right now it will be but I bet after a new CBA is worked out it's going to drop so you have to be aware and careful of that. Parise would be nice, but not if it means one of Brown or Quick has to go because of it.
I don't think we have to worry about Brown, he seems to have reached Luc levels of embracing the city and I think he'll sign another cap friendly contract to stay. In his interview just minutes after winning the Cup, he talked about the city just as much as he did what it meant to him or the team and then at the rally he runs back up to the podium to talk about Bob.

I really think that he loves LA and feels a connection with the fans.

Old
06-15-2012, 09:30 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Any interest in signing Parros for the 4th line?

Old
06-15-2012, 09:51 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
I disagree 100%, Toffoli isn't coming in to become a RW2 or a LW2 right away, it doesn't work that way in Lombardi's books (we all know that). I see Toffoli eventually taking over maybe Justin Williams' spot when his contract his up, something like that. Parise is the perfect fit for the top 6, if he comes on a cap-friendly number (not likely), we could be dominant for years to come. Imagine a top 6 of

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Parise-Richards-Carter

Old
06-15-2012, 09:52 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Any interest in signing Parros for the 4th line?
Good lord no. Seems like the time of the designated heavyweights are coming to an end, even if Parros is one of the better ones.

Old
06-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Fishhead

I see Gagne penciled in for a lot of the lineups, but I'm not sure he is coming back. If I were him, I would seriously consider retiring. Then again, I just didn't win a cup - and if I'm on cloud 9 imagine what these guys feel. These guys are so flying high right now I'm sure all of them want to defend the title. We'll probably hear before July 1st if he is hanging them up or not.

Old
06-15-2012, 10:19 AM
SLang

Under a new CBA, if the salary cap is reduced, do they also reduce current salaries by whatever percentage is required to get them to fit under the new cap? Isn't that always a big sticking point in the negotiation of the new CBA? I seem to remember this being a case in the previous lockout.

I ask because I'm wondering about how important it really is for DL to consider what the new cap might be in determining what he offers to any FA. Doesn't he really just have to be concerned with the current salary cap?

Old
06-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnaneedsomewine View Post
I do not want Penner back at all. Thanks for your contributions during the playoffs, but see ya.

He upped his game in the playoffs and made some big plays for us, but I would not let myself get lured in. I think the only reason he turned it on down the stretch was to set himself up for his next contract. That's just the type of guy he is. He hasn't changed or had an epiphany. As soon as he gets his next deal, he'll throttle it down just like he always has.

You give him the security of a 2-3 year deal and you will see the dog in Penner come out again. He'll come into camp out of shape and loaf around the ice until his next contract year. Penner is antithetical to what Dean has been trying to build here.

Don't let the Stanley Cup win erase how much of a colossal disaster Penner was for basically his whole tenure in LA.

I'd rather spend the cap space elsewhere.
I totally disagree.

Penner "upped his game" when Sutter shoved a hockey stick in his ass. Penner has as much admitted to this, and is very appreciate of Sutter's actions and his faith in him down the stretch and well into the playoffs.

The fact that Penner was one of the player speakers at the really (the first speaker, in fact) is very telling.

He is a clubhouse leader, no doubt in my mind. He wants to play here, as he is on record as willing to take a pay cut to do so.

We keep him, IMO.

Closed Thread