HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Suter's Preferred Destinations in the West

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 09:14 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylbot View Post
Any significant UFA signings where someone "went home"?
Hamhuis is the only one I can recall right now.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:19 PM
BeersHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaffran View Post
Many of our top players bypass there junior and senior years and play junior hockey. If want to add in Midget AAA and Prep Schools in, the top 3 and 6 of the top 10 are from Minnesota. Also in the delopment program from this year there was only one more guy from Michigan then Minnesota.
Same with Michigan re: top players leaving for Juniors. Also, can't really count Prep - for example of the 20 players on Shattuck's prep team, 15 are from outside Minnesota, one from Latvia. Obviously, both states are top amateur hockey states. Both produce top tier players. I don't think amateur hockey is going sway where Suter signs.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:19 PM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Here's my question: Why would Suter (or Parise for that matter) prefer a team that is currently a contender IF they want to sign a life long deal?

Seems counter-intelligent. Long term deals would be best served on up and coming or young contenders. Current contenders will have their windows fading in the coming years.
Why not. For example, let's say one of them signs with Pens.

We are contenders now. Do you really think Pens won't be contenders in the next ten years?

If you have young core players in contending team, it should be a no-brainer.

If I were a player I would prefer contender before rebuilding team. The chance would be higher to me, to win the cup.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:20 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Campbell had a NTC with limited teams from what I remember not a NMC
You're right. But trading Campbell sets a bad precedent for Suter anyway. I'm sure Campbell thought he was going to be a Blackhawk for the rest of his career. While a NNC means that the player can't be forced to go anywhere, it doesn't mean that you won't be traded at all.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
You're right. But trading Campbell sets a bad precedent for Suter anyway. I'm sure Campbell thought he was going to be a Blackhawk for the rest of his career. While a NNC means that the player can't be forced to go anywhere, it doesn't mean that you won't be traded at all.
Signing 8 yr contract doesn't scream

Hawk for life ,, And a NMC put all control in your hands

Suter wont go anywhere if he doesn't want too

Old
06-14-2012, 09:40 PM
Winky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
Seriously?
Do you really think Gary is going to be living in south Detroit?
That would be similar to saying he will not go to New York because he does not want to raise his children in South Bronx.

He will live in Grosse Pointe ore anothere similare suburbe. (sorry, my unnecessary "E"'s got away from me there)

Now, the rest of your points (entire defense hinging on him especially) certainly merit consideration.

I really do not see Colorado having a better than average chance. They are an up and coming team, but I think he is going to want to be on a team which is looking for deep playoff runs now.
Who's Gary?

Old
06-14-2012, 09:47 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche View Post
Jessica Biel did grow up in Colorado
That explains the mountains.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:50 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
It would be a joy to drop your kids off at school in a glitzy suburb, then drive by nearly 20% unemployment and horrible social problems on your way to work. That would make me feel good about my millions, especially when my kids were old enough to ask why.
No UFAs have seemed to care before.

And you're not driving by a bunch of social problems. Just empty burned out houses and several billboards asking, "Do you know who your baby's daddy is?" Call 800-DNA Test.

Look, the making fun of Detroit thing is just ridiculous. I've seen many worse areas in the U.S.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeersHockey View Post
Same with Michigan re: top players leaving for Juniors. Also, can't really count Prep - for example of the 20 players on Shattuck's prep team, 15 are from outside Minnesota, one from Latvia. Obviously, both states are top amateur hockey states. Both produce top tier players. I don't think amateur hockey is going sway where Suter signs.
And generally Shattuck's best players are from outside Minnesota.

There's a reason Shattuck plays most tournaments against the MWEHL or whatever they've changed their name to now. Major AAA hockey is still where it's at and Michigan is right at the top with any other state. Anyone who would debate that is not looking at things in perspective or is simply not in tune with USA Hockey.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky View Post
Who's Gary?
Gary Sutter, one of the very lesser known Sutter brothers...that is who we are talking about here right?

(Want to know when you are getting old? When you mix up uncle and nephew, start to formulate a sarcastic response then realize Gary Suter has been retired for...oh...a decade or so thus invalidating said planned response)

(Now someone fetch my prune juice)

Old
06-14-2012, 10:10 PM
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
To be fair if the Sharks signed him we'd probably have to trade Boyle...

Old
06-14-2012, 10:24 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
I talked to Ryan Suter's agent Neil Sheehy. Reports Suter has supplied list of teams he'd allow his rights to be traded to are "100% untrue"
http://twitter.com/Russostrib/status/213469581501673473

Old
06-14-2012, 10:26 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
In other words, "True, but we'll still use those teams to up the bidding".

Old
06-14-2012, 10:58 PM
KovalSNIPE

Not trying to be biased but the only East team I could see Suter sign with would be the Devils because he has stated how he'd love to play with Parise. But regardless, when it comes down to business too, I see him sign with a team out West most likely.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:05 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
In other words, "True, but we'll still use those teams to up the bidding".
I don't get how you came to that conclusion from that tweet?

Old
06-14-2012, 11:21 PM
cgf

Suter wants to join Staz, EJ and Mueller in Colorado to re-create their olympic glory. But he needs to make other teams think they have a chance at him so the Avs don't get accused of tampering.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:32 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post

And you're not driving by a bunch of social problems. Just empty burned out houses and several billboards asking, "Do you know who your baby's daddy is?" Call 800-DNA Test.

Look, the making fun of Detroit thing is just ridiculous. I've seen many worse areas in the U.S.
Not making fun at all - this is serious **** to me. I've been to Detroit. I'd live in Detroit if I had a role to help improve the city; but you are probably right. Most hockey free-agents roll to a different beat.

Old
06-15-2012, 12:21 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I don't get how you came to that conclusion from that tweet?
Of course you don't.

Old
06-15-2012, 12:52 AM
Happyhary9

Reading this thread is kinda funny.

First some people need to learn to read a map as some posters seem to think Minny is the closest team to his farm but it is actually close to twice the distance then the closest team. Its Chicago, although I don't think Chicago goes after him.

Second some people must only stay in their town and look up crime rates to judge other places. Any half way major cities has bad parts, but they also have very very nice parts to. Where the heck do you think a NHL player will live the very nice part or the ghetto?

When it comes down to it I think Suter is a bit of a farm boy at heart and stays in the mid-west to be close to his farm.

Old
06-15-2012, 01:20 AM
Human
cynic

I'd be surprised if he didn't sign with the Wings this summer...

Old
06-15-2012, 01:21 AM
Sportsfan1

To be honest as a Wild fan I never really thought we had a shot at Suter, and while i still think Parise is a more likely (albeit) slim bet to go to Minnesota, Suter's not as far fetched as i thought.

Old
06-15-2012, 01:49 AM
Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post

Which is why I laugh at ignorance such as that.

Why people believe signing with another franchise is like a city and/or government job where you're required to live in the city is beyond me. Perhaps these posters are just young and naive or just plain ignorant, I don't know. But it sure is hilarious.

If you put a good product on the field, are willing to spend and have strong leaders, you'll have no problem. This has been the case with Detroit for not only the NHL but MLB, NBA and NFL.

This isn't Cleveland people

Old
06-15-2012, 04:33 AM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

vCash: 449
I can't see Suter wanting to sign in Chicago because a stud in his prime like him wants to be the number one guy there, and unless Q is open to breaking up Keith-Seabrook, he would be playing on the second pairing.

Detroit seems very likely, but the weight on his shoulders to take over for Lidstrom is huge pressure.

I think he will be an Avalanche. He knows Johnson and Stastny from Team USA, they have a bright future with Duchene, Landeskog, and Varlamov, and the Denver area is a great place to live. Avs are an instant playoff lock with him IMO.

Old
06-15-2012, 04:50 AM
Master Shake

Minnesota or Nashville. I dont think Detroit has a chance.

He wants to move to a good area to raise a family and his wife is from Minnesota

Old
06-15-2012, 04:53 AM
Master Shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Which is why I laugh at ignorance such as that.

Why people believe signing with another franchise is like a city and/or government job where you're required to live in the city is beyond me. Perhaps these posters are just young and naive or just plain ignorant, I don't know. But it sure is hilarious.

If you put a good product on the field, are willing to spend and have strong leaders, you'll have no problem. This has been the case with Detroit for not only the NHL but MLB, NBA and NFL.

This isn't Cleveland people

Closed Thread