HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penner wants to return; will take salary cut to do so

Old
06-14-2012, 11:50 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

vCash: 500
Penner wants to return; will take salary cut to do so

What a turnaround for this organization. Remember when we begged and couldn't get free agents to sign here? Now we're a top-of-the-list destination. First Gagne, then Mitchell and Williams extensions, now Penner's pleading to stay even if it means a pay cut.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...id=DL|NHL|home

"Penner said Thursday that he wants to re-sign with the Los Angeles Kings and indicated he would take less money to do so. Penner is set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

Penner said of the chances of returning to the Stanley Cup champions, "I'd say they're pretty good. I want to be back." Asked if he would settle for something different in regards to his salary, he said yes."

Last edited by TonySCV: 06-14-2012 at 11:56 PM.
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:51 PM
bobafettish*

2/4million.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:17 AM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

If he had kept the stache he had at the Dodgers game I would have hoped he got 500k more

But it'll be great if he's back, and have a great regular season

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:19 AM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

I could see a 2 year deal worth 7.5 to 8 mil

But that's only if we miss out on parise

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:19 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Stoll and Penner will be back.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:20 AM
DaAnimal

Penner is a good guy. I know we had our differences but its hard not to like him. Definitely the team clown. He's so witty and hilarious on Twitter.

Like I said, we should have a tradition of throwing pancakes on the ice whenever he scores

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:24 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrazor12 View Post
Ugh, I hope not. I appreciate what he did in the playoffs, but he's got to take less then that after having a 17 point regular season and being awful when we got him last year. He's got to show he can bring that kinda effort a little more often.

Last edited by ScoreZeGoals: 06-15-2012 at 12:30 AM.
ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:24 AM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
Penner is a good guy. I know we had our differences but its hard not to like him. Definitely the team clown. He's so witty and hilarious on Twitter.

Like I said, we should have a tradition of throwing pancakes on the ice whenever he scores
I like that idea

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:27 AM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

We need more pancakes! Re-sign penner!

Who would've guessed this would be the over whelming opinion by Kings fans 6 months ago!. Hockey has a funny way of letting you redeem yourself!

CTKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:39 AM
Alisa
Quickie fangirl

The look in his eyes is different since his game started picking up. I think he is one of the guys Sutter's influence has affected the most, and if we keep him, I think we get a better season out of him next year.

I'd like to see him return.

I also really would like to get to throw a pancake on the ice.

Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:43 AM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:

God I hope you're kidding. At MOST, one year, $2M. He wants more, don't let the door hit your fat ass on the way out. He was good in the playoffs but he sucked when we first traded for him, sucked in the playoffs last year, sucked this regular season. 20 game good stretch for us. You can't just forget that he was bad before this playoffs. If he wants that deal, I'm all for it. But anymore than $2M or $2.5M TOPS, I'd be very upset with.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:43 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:

If he's getting 7.5m to 8m, he's giving AT LEAST four years.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:46 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
If he's getting 7.5m to 8m, he's giving AT LEAST four years.
And there's no way he gets a 4 year contract. Period.

Old
06-15-2012, 12:47 AM
Martyros

I'd venture to guess that Lombardi would ask if he could wait so Dean can check out the market and see what holes he can fix (along with Parise) and see what he's got left to spend, something that he tried with Blake before he went to San Jose.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:49 AM
Wooty

Good for him and the Kings.
Size and toughness that has talent is very valuable in the NHL. He is a unique player

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:54 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
God I hope you're kidding. At MOST, one year, $2M. He wants more, don't let the door hit your fat ass on the way out. He was good in the playoffs but he sucked when we first traded for him, sucked in the playoffs last year, sucked this regular season. 20 game good stretch for us. You can't just forget that he was bad before this playoffs. If he wants that deal, I'm all for it. But anymore than $2M or $2.5M TOPS, I'd be very upset with.
This. A one year $2M "prove it" contract sounds appropriate

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:10 AM
Shellz

Really nice to hear.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:18 AM
Fishhead

Doubt it would be a low as $2M. I'd say $3M/year for 2-3 years. Stoll just looks so freakin happy all the time, I see him doing something of the same.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:47 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

He will get a minumum of 3 million book it.

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:11 AM
Jetteroheller

I would really like to see Penner return, i believe he feels he has something to prove still and we will the the new playoff Penner from here on in.

Jetteroheller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:47 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
I think the whole divorce thing messed him up big time, and he's finally put it past him and gone back to beast mode Penner.

Could this entire team return next year? I could see Stoll, Penner, and Fraser all staying with LA. That would be amazing.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:59 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
I think the whole divorce thing messed him up big time, and he's finally put it past him and gone back to beast mode Penner.

Could this entire team return next year? I could see Stoll, Penner, and Fraser all staying with LA. That would be amazing.
It very well could have but he had a job to do and at the end of the day, he has push aside the distractions and play hockey and he didn't do that this year. I hope it's in the past and I hope he can turn in to a great player with us because with his size and skill, he can EASILY do it. This playoffs was the first time I've ever seen him actually play like he's 6'4 240.

As for the other two, I think everyone knows how I feel on Stoll. I don't WANT him back but at this point, it's all but inevitable. He had a decent playoffs but he MUST ****ing stop with all the completely terrible penalties. He's got such a terrible hockey IQ. I don't think the points are even as big of a concern to me as the dumb plays are. If he can cut those out, I'm fine with him back. He should have never been relied upon as an offensive threat and he was. Again, one year deal tops.

As for Fras, I'd much rather go after other guys. Would LOVE to have McClement if he'd fit cap wise after the main guys, IE Quick, Pens, Stoll if those two are re-signed. McClement would make our PK go from one of the best to THE best as well as adding more offense to the 4th line. If we can't get McClement, I'd be fine with Fras coming back and having him battle it out with prospects for the 4th line role. Worst comes to worst, Fras is a fine 13th forward.

Old
06-15-2012, 02:59 AM
damacles1156

Lombardi would be dumb, not to return the entire team. I could see him doing it.

Not a fan of plugging Cliche in Colin's role. Cliche is just not an NHL player.

Where are you going to find a player of Penner's pedigree for 3m ?

Despite is awful reg seasons here (two cups, size , skill). The Kings have ZERO of that in the minors.

Stoll finally embraced his role, he is the perfect third line center.

Loki is just not ready, he needs about two more years.

I know people are worried about cap space ETC. But when has Lombardi screwed up the cap space ? (Never).

Parise is not coming here guys, he is an east coast guy. Parise is a Devil (through and through). Also Parise is getting married, he is going to want his family close to home.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:07 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post

Parise is not coming here guys, he is an east coast guy. Parise is a Devil (through and through). Also Parise is getting married, he is going to want his family close to home.
I NEVER saw Parise at all as realistic. I'd love it....but not happening. But I wouldn't count out him leaving. I know he just lost in the finals but the appeal to go to the Wings has to be huge. They'll have ridiculous amounts of cap space, meaning he could collude with Suter to go there. Suter helps fill the black hole left by the legend Liddy retiring and Parise would get to play with Datsyuk. Not only that but Detroit is filled with history more than most teams. People keep saying he could go to Minny but IMO it's Devils 60/Wings 40.

Old
06-15-2012, 03:19 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
I NEVER saw Parise at all as realistic. I'd love it....but not happening. But I wouldn't count out him leaving. I know he just lost in the finals but the appeal to go to the Wings has to be huge. They'll have ridiculous amounts of cap space, meaning he could collude with Suter to go there. Suter helps fill the black hole left by the legend Liddy retiring and Parise would get to play with Datsyuk. Not only that but Detroit is filled with history more than most teams. People keep saying he could go to Minny but IMO it's Devils 60/Wings 40.
I agree about the Wings, but lets face it the Wings might as well be an East Coast team. Puddle jump flights.

Travel is a HUGE deal to East Coast guys.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote