HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cracked tooth, questions within.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:21 PM
kovatroll*
David Clarkson ✘👎

vCash: 500
Cracked tooth, questions within.

Hello, Leafs fan here encroaching on Hab turf to put forth several non-hockey related enquiries.

A couple months back, mid April-ish, I got hit in the face with a kayak paddle on a trip and cracked a molar, as well as had half my face swell up like a puffer fish. For the next couple of months I ignored it due to the stress of finals as well as it not hurting.

However the past few days, maybe a week now, I've been experiencing pain, getting worse at time goes by to the point where I constantly wake up with headaches and am probably od'ing on extra strength, rapid relief Tylenol to curb them. Tonight has been the worst so far, though a couple of home remedies have helped a bit, such as swishing with salt water and applying toothpaste to the cracked area.

It seems like at this point now that I'm free for a couple months now would be as good a time as ever to go to the dentist and have a check-up, take some x-rays to see what needs to be done. I plan on going down and scheduling an appointment for tomorrow.

This is where the couple of questions come in for you guys, well one for anyone, and one for people more in the Montreal/Quebec region.

1. If the so far mentioned home remedies start to fail, does anyone have any tried and true alternatives?

2. For anyone in Quebec as I've been unable to find a good source through googling, what would be standard costs of a filling? (Apparently if I was a youth that would be free.)
Or and I really hope it isn't this, the cost of a root canal, from what I've been able to find online it's way outside my price range unless it's an extreme emergency in which I've developed a possible fatal infection.

kovatroll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:28 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Get your family doctor to recommend you a dentist.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:30 PM
patsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookeyMonster View Post
1. If the so far mentioned home remedies start to fail, does anyone have any tried and true alternatives?
Oragel, but it is short-lasting and you get receptor desensitization pretty rapidly; it is a very short term solution.

When I had my wisdom teeth remove (8 of them), I had no dental plan, it cost roughly ~900$; I'm no dentist, but I believe it might cost you less, no? Do not quote me,

Good luck

patsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:35 PM
Shred

I work in health care and all I can say is see a dentist ASAP, waiting or taking pills to help the pain is only going to make the problem worse, whatever it is.

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:38 PM
vesperal

Who are you, Don Draper ? Get to a dentist asap before you start hallucinating about your dead brother.

vesperal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:42 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred View Post
I work in health care and all I can say is see a dentist ASAP, waiting or taking pills to help the pain is only going to make the problem worse, whatever it is.
this. you need to stop with the painkillers and get x-rays. you might have a concussion. in terms of helping a cracked tooth, you can dissolve an aspirin on the crack - it's anti-inflammatory and will help, but more than anything you need to get it checked ASAP. The tooth is one thing but to not deal with severe swelling that is causing neuro / physio conditions like insomnia, headaches etc is worrying. pain and aches are an indicator your body is not well. do not ignore them

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:43 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I never had a cracked tooth but I have had some tooth pain in my day. If you have a pain that's relieved by swishing/rinsing the area with salt water, you might have an infection. At least for me, the only time salt water provided any relief was when I had an infection.

Icing the tooth directly always worked best for me, but it's not very comfortable and the relief doesn't last very long. Otherwise, Oragel and Aspirin is probably your best bet. Or a sleeping pill if you have anything like that to get you through the night.

I've tried some of the other, "out there" home remedies (apply garlic to the tooth, rinse with whiskey, etc) and none helped me much, but you can give em a shot.

There are lots of urgent dental clinics around so if you can't stand the pain, it's definitely worth looking around to see if you can get in with one tomorrow. Even if they can't do the work immediately they might be able to give you something for the pain.

One thing is absolutely certain with teeth - if you're in pain, it never gets better on its own. Ever. It just gets worse until you get to a professional, so do that ASAP.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:44 PM

I don't want to hijack your thread bro but..

HF dentists,
My dentist told me like more than a year ago that I need to get my wisdom teeth removed ASAP. I didn't go with it though (too lazy) but now I'm starting to have some pain sometimes like if my wisdom teeth are pushing my other teeth. What's the worst that can happen if I don't get surgery?

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:47 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
I don't want to hijack your thread bro but..

HF dentists,
My dentist told me like more than a year ago that I need to get my wisdom teeth removed ASAP. I didn't go with it though (too lazy) but now I'm starting to have some pain sometimes like if my wisdom teeth are pushing my other teeth. What's the worst that can happen if I don't get surgery?
crooked teeth, crowding - and then gum issues followed by potential nerve damage as roots press into nerve in your jaw...sometimes it is unnecessary but if it's causing pain

http://cyberanto.wordpress.com/2008/...e-not-removed/

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
crooked teeth, crowding - and then gum issues followed by potential nerve damage as roots press into nerve in your jaw...sometimes it is unnecessary but if it's causing pain

http://cyberanto.wordpress.com/2008/...e-not-removed/
Holy ****.

Thanks CHill Seeker.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:56 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

I doubt you'll get a filling or a root canal (I've had both, the root canals from a bicycle accident).

One of my wisdom teeth cracked from eating an apple and when the dentist pulled my wisdom tooth out, there was an incredible amount of pain and swelling for a couple of days. I had my others pulled out and they were nothing like that.

If you want my guess, either they'll file your tooth down and cap it or they'll yank it and/or maybe not replace it with a false tooth.

That's a dentist's call, not mine to make.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:58 PM
HabsHockey

Go to the dentist college, it'll be free if you let a student work on it.

HabsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:10 AM
kovatroll*
David Clarkson ✘👎

Thanks for the sound advice guys, like most people mentioned one of the first things I plan on doing is going to the dentist's office tomorrow to make an appointment, though living in a town with a only 1 office and 10000+ people it will probably be a week or two just to get to the appointment.

Looking online it seems that most pharmacies, and wal-mart carry over the counter temporary fillings. It seems like the worst of the pain comes from cool liquids and air so I figure until I can get something done it would be a possible fix. Anyone have experience with stuff like that?

Old
06-15-2012, 12:14 AM
noway

See a dentist ASAP. Call now and tell him this is an emergency due to pain. An extraction might be in the cards. If there is a short delay after seeing him but before getting the work done (ie. over the weekend), ask for some decent painkillers like Percocet (which can generally be taken for a short period without addiction problems) and some antibiotics if there is an infection. Over-the-counter pain relievers like Tylenol, Advil, etc. are not sufficiently strong enough for severe tooth pain.

noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:38 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsHockey View Post
Go to the dentist college, it'll be free if you let a student work on it.
I've heard some real horror stories about student dentists.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 04:43 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

If you have pain from a 2 month old fractured tooth you probably have complications that might require you to have a root canal. The thing is by now you probably have an absess which is caused by infection which is probably doing other things , like causing you bad breath.

Don't fool around, see dentist ASAP. If you can't afford it then extract the tooth or work out a payment schedule with your dentist. There are lots of dentists, canada411 and google are our friend.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 06:17 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Your first mistake was not going to a dentist immediately after the tooth got cracked.

Over the time it took you to come to this decision, bacteria most likely filled it up and went straight to the root, which will likely mean you'll need a root canal. Orajel works temporarily but I am wary of suggesting it. My wife had the same problem and we didn't have the money to shell out for a dentist. So she used orajel and after a month, she woke up with her face twice the size it normally is. She had an abssess and it could have been fatal had it not been dealt with right away.

Seriously, go to a dentist. I think a root canal where I go is roughly about $350 (although I pay a fraction of that due to my benefits at work). No home remedies, no orajel. Go to a dentist, pay the $100 bucks to get a check-up and a cleaning and have the dentist evaluate what the exact problem is. Then, if you do not have the money, start saving and go as soon as you can.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:08 PM
sammy d

Cracked my tooth several months ago, went to dentist. Options were getting a root canal, filling and a crown. Before I could get in it became infected with a abscess. while draining the abscess it was determined that tooth could not be repaired, they had to pull it. I suffered in pain for over a month, definitely get to dentist asap.

sammy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:58 PM
guest1467

It really amazes me how neglectful people can be of their teeth. You only got one set.

Go to the dentist.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:19 AM
overlords
Hfboards

This really reminds me of those old irc jokes where some dude's room would be on fire but he'd log on with his mIRC client to let his buddies know before doing the smart thing.

Go see a dentist, dude.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:36 AM
Youpi ki yay

Go to the dentist as others have said.

I had a tooth problem where nothing would help. Ambesol did nothing, ice didn't help... the only thing that got me through the night was Vodka. I took a big mouthful and let it sit on the tooth. Hurt like crazy for a few seconds but then it numbed the pain. Had to repeat every 20-30 minutes or so, but like I said, it got me through the night.

Youpi ki yay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:27 AM
TomPlex

My experience sounds very familiar to you, and that's not good news...

When I was young (probably 10ish), I smashed my 2 front teeth on the front supporting pole of a small Catamaran. There was a dentist on the trip and he said to get it checked out when I get back home. I did. The dentist fixed the crack a bit, but nothing else was done.

A few months later, I had terrible pain. Turns out one of the teeth was completely dead and the root needed to be removed. A few months later, same thing with the other tooth.

After a couple of years, the teeth both started decaying even with the occasional touch up with cement. On occasion, the teeth would literally just break, and they would have to fill the broken parts with cement.

Long story short, my 2 front teeth are now fake...

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:34 AM
Patrice Brisebois

Jesus, man. Go to a dentist

Patrice Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:04 AM
kovatroll*
David Clarkson ✘👎

I had an appointment on for Friday. It got bumped up for today due to a cancellation, a small time slot like this one was isn't enough for most things people go in for, so I got lucky I guess.

Old
06-18-2012, 02:12 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
While we're talking about it, anyone ever had bone spurs in their gums? I had a wisdom tooth taken out few weeks ago and now I have one pushing through my gum below where the wisdom tooth was.

Apparently it's pretty normal after getting a wisdom tooth out and they work themselves out eventually (or they can be fairly easily extracted).

I have an appointment on Saturday and I'm not in pain anyway so I'll ask my dentist regardless, but I was just wondering if anyone had experience with them.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote