HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glen Sather looking at free agency - "We don't trade kids"

Old
06-15-2012, 12:04 AM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
If nothing else goes right and for some reason Semin is still out there, I wouldn't mind taking a shot at him. Similar to Frolov. I think Semin is a lot better than Frolov, though, and I'm pretty sure someone will grab him on July 1st.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:17 AM
mcsauer2738

vCash: 500
if I'm slats, after what parise said about he'll never play for the rangers, i'd offer him a 10 year 100 million dollar contract to bid up his asking price from the devils and break them financially

mcsauer2738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:00 AM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Parise is not a game breaker. You can't rely on "dirty" goals as much in the playoffs because the ice gets smaller, metaphorically speaking. Albeit he is very good at getting it in the net, it's the way he tends to get it in the net that makes me hesitant about him. He deflects, rebounds, etc. He doesn't make his own chances nearly as much as Nash for instance. We need someone who is talented enough to carry the puck by himself and is a big time sniper. That's what gets you through in the playoffs.
How can you say that when Parise and D. Brown are both tied for the league lead in playoff scoring and their teams just went to the Finals???

Last edited by Chief: 06-15-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 05:19 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Parise is not a game breaker. You can't rely on "dirty" goals as much in the playoffs because the ice gets smaller, metaphorically speaking. Albeit he is very good at getting it in the net, it's the way he tends to get it in the net that makes me hesitant about him. He deflects, rebounds, etc. He doesn't make his own chances nearly as much as Nash for instance. We need someone who is talented enough to carry the puck by himself and is a big time sniper. That's what gets you through in the playoffs. I am in favor of Nash, at a reasonable price.
Completely disagree. Because there is less space, you need players who go to the net and can score the dirty goals. How many pretty goals did Gabby have in the playoffs this year? Parise would fit perfectly on this team.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:33 AM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
How can you say that when Parise and D. Brown are both tied for the league lead in playoff scoring and their teams just went to the Finals???
I think that what he means is that in order to score those "dirty" goals, you need someone to create the opportunity, which Rangers lack...

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:47 AM
NYR Viper

I will be beyond pissed off if the Rangers go after Semin....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:11 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
He's still waiting for Brendl to break out and score some pretty ones..

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:32 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohf View Post
I think that what he means is that in order to score those "dirty" goals, you need someone to create the opportunity, which Rangers lack...
Parise creates opportunities by always being in the right place at the right time, by working hard and by thinking the game. You don't need to dangle around people to create opportunities.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:40 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I will be beyond pissed off if the Rangers go after Semin....
I second this..

He is the antithesis of this team's identity.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:23 AM
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
I second this..

He is the antithesis of this team's identity.
I agreed 100%, but I also think he's the lesser of two evils between himself and Radulov.

irishlaxburger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:37 AM
NYR Viper

People need to realize that it is NOT a good idea to just settle on a player. There is a hole in the offense, but trying to have a square peg fit in a round hole DOES NOT WORK.

Old
06-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

I think if the Rangers acquire Semin, it's because they feel like he could work here. It'd be a questionable move, but I think the days of throwing money at big stars just to have big stars is over.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:42 AM
NikC

your offense should comprise different dynamics so that it doesn't become predictable. Sure you need an identity. we have that already.

doesn't mean we shouldn't open our horizons to players who score in different ways. I'd pursue other options before Semin, but I wouldn't say no, if he were one of the few available. He's a very dangerous player.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:45 AM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

I think Semin would seem to benefit more from being in BR's wing than Gabby.

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:45 AM
NYR Viper

I would take Radulov over Semin 10x out of 10

Old
06-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

i want nothing to do with semin. i feel like he'd be way too much money. if the price was fair then maybe...

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:42 AM
NYRKING30

I don't want Semin and I doubt he would want us unless we give him substantial amount of cash which isn't happening either. I just can't see him figuring it out here, he is probably best suited to go to Detroit.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:55 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Jeff Carter the *******, wild, disappearing, party boy sure made a difference for the Kings.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
People need to realize that it is NOT a good idea to just settle on a player. There is a hole in the offense, but trying to have a square peg fit in a round hole DOES NOT WORK.
so we get a lot of squares until the circle hole breaks

But in all seriousness we can't sit down on 1 player we need to look at all options.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:55 PM
nsvoyageurs

Apparently, the Rick Nash trade discussions with Columbus are starting to heat up, with significant talks having been taking place over the last 10 days, according to the QMI Agency newspapers. It lists the Rangers as the top contender, but San Jose, Philadelphia, Toronto and Carolina as being interested. I don't think the Flyers need him (they need defence and goaltending); I thought I heard Toronto was on his no-trade list, and why Carolina would be interested, or why he'd go there, I don't know. San Jose and Philadelphia are the two likeliest in my opinion, the Sharks blew up their core last summer, the Flyers need goaltending not offence (they haven't had a goaltender since Bernie Parent); they'll probably make a big push for him.

My top choice would be one of the Anaheim three (Ryan, Getzlaf, or Perry) but the price would be possibly more than for Nash, though if Nash winds up a Ranger, I wouldn't be upset (depending on the price, that that he'll be cheap in terms of assets going to CBJ, we already know the cap cost is exhorbinant). Maybe playing for a contender gives him a little extra jump, has to be depressing playing with an team going nowhere and will be rebuilding for the next so many years. Would Sather inquire about Jordan Staal from the Penguins? I'd think the Penguins would prefer to trade him to a Western Conference team.

nsvoyageurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
If the weight of these two total Nash trade rumor talks was cumulative instead of merely reiterative, the sheer weight of it would bring hf community crashing to the ground.

Still, it bugs me that Sather is so willing to throw guys out to land an unproven playoff player.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
If the weight of these two total Nash trade rumor talks was cumulative instead of merely reiterative, the sheer weight of it would bring hf community crashing to the ground.

Still, it bugs me that Sather is so willing to throw guys out to land an unproven playoff player.
Theres nothing to suggest that Sather has offered more than Dubinsky and a bunch of prospects.

So, we're supposed to protect kids who have not proven themselves at all in the NHL (and some who are far away from doing so)?....speaking of unproven.

Dont get me wrong, I agree we should stay as far away from Nash as possible, but losing JT Miller is about 23rd on my list as to reasons why.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Chief

Just because there was a report that said Sather had offered Miller, Erixon, etc...doesn't mean the report was accurate. My memory of Sather's trade history is that such a package would be out of character.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 04:22 PM
nsvoyageurs

This might be in another thread, but for a possible Lundqvist replacement, Nashville just traded Anders Lindback, Kyle Wilson, and a 2012 7th round pick to Tampa for 2 second round picks in 2012, a 3rd round choice in 2013, Sebastien Caron.

nsvoyageurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 05:06 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsvoyageurs View Post
Apparently, the Rick Nash trade discussions with Columbus are starting to heat up, with significant talks having been taking place over the last 10 days, according to the QMI Agency newspapers. It lists the Rangers as the top contender, but San Jose, Philadelphia, Toronto and Carolina as being interested. I don't think the Flyers need him (they need defence and goaltending); I thought I heard Toronto was on his no-trade list, and why Carolina would be interested, or why he'd go there, I don't know. San Jose and Philadelphia are the two likeliest in my opinion, the Sharks blew up their core last summer, the Flyers need goaltending not offence (they haven't had a goaltender since Bernie Parent); they'll probably make a big push for him.

My top choice would be one of the Anaheim three (Ryan, Getzlaf, or Perry) but the price would be possibly more than for Nash, though if Nash winds up a Ranger, I wouldn't be upset (depending on the price, that that he'll be cheap in terms of assets going to CBJ, we already know the cap cost is exhorbinant). Maybe playing for a contender gives him a little extra jump, has to be depressing playing with an team going nowhere and will be rebuilding for the next so many years. Would Sather inquire about Jordan Staal from the Penguins? I'd think the Penguins would prefer to trade him to a Western Conference team.
The Flyers have a goaltender for another 8 years unless theres another amnesty buyout just like in 05 otherwise he stays in Philly.

The Pens would have to be blown away for them to trade us Staal as much as i would love to have him on the team.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote