HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glass half-empty, according to Gary Lawless.

Old
06-15-2012, 05:37 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 50
Glass half-empty, according to Gary Lawless.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...159161805.html

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:18 AM
King Woodballs
#FHRITP

vCash: 375
I would give him 1mil max over 2 or 3 years

nothing more.

if he wants more... peace out

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:50 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

So two days ago when Slater re-signed Glass said the deal was 80-85% done, now his agent says the following,

Quote:
Agent Ross Gurney told the Free Press Wednesday negotiations with the Jets had just begun.

"We've had preliminary discussions only," Gurney said via email. "We're a long prairie mile apart."

I wouldn't want to go over 1 million. He is a dime a dozen player, they're everywhere.

I'd just as much rather Jordin Tootoo.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:52 AM
BomberJets

vCash: 500
For sure a million but not much more. He's great at his role but if he wants the big bucks he needs to put the puck behind the keeper.

BomberJets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:53 AM
BomberJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
So two days ago when Slater re-signed Glass said the deal was 80-85% done, now his agent says the following,

I wouldn't want to go over 1 million. He is a dime a dozen player, they're everywhere.

Tootoo would be a beaut...

BomberJets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:09 AM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
Cya Glass! Don't let the door hit you on the way out

bigplay41* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:31 AM
Huffer

It pains me to write this, but this might be the 1st Lawless article that I read that I agree with, and doesn't make me want to poke out my own eyeballs.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:46 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
It pains me to write this, but this might be the 1st Lawless article that I read that I agree with, and doesn't make me want to poke out my own eyeballs.
Agree. When I read the title I actually thought it was going to be an article from Lawless explaining how the Jets future and/or heading into the offseason is " glass half-empty". I was fully prepared for an article full of negativity and criticism on whatever he could possibly find fault with as we head into the active (or not) part of the offseason.

Old
06-15-2012, 08:57 AM
TCsmyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetNation View Post
Cya Glass! Don't let the door hit you on the way out
I am kinda in agreement with this. Tanner and his agent have to realize what he is in the NHL, unfortunately the stars are gonna get really big dough, and the Glass guys of the world are gonna get a lot less...albeit big dough in my world!

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:03 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
I am kinda in agreement with this. Tanner and his agent have to realize what he is in the NHL, unfortunately the stars are gonna get really big dough, and the Glass guys of the world are gonna get a lot less...albeit big dough in my world!
Also, he should know that there is a guy within the organization right now who is (likely) ready for a 4th line role, Spencer Machacek.

Glass is easily replaceable, in my opinion. Whether it be Machacek, Tootoo or another UFA... dime a dozen in this league. They grow on trees.

My max offer would be a 3 year deal, 3.3 million (1, 1.1 and 1.2). But again, I would rather not go over 1 million for Tanner Glass.

Old
06-15-2012, 09:28 AM
GermanJetsFan
Beaver Jedi

Glass wants 1 milion+??

Hi Spencer =)

GermanJetsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:35 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Also, he should know that there is a guy within the organization right now who is (likely) ready for a 4th line role, Spencer Machacek.

Glass is easily replaceable, in my opinion. Whether it be Machacek, Tootoo or another UFA... dime a dozen in this league. They grow on trees.

My max offer would be a 3 year deal, 3.3 million (1, 1.1 and 1.2). But again, I would rather not go over 1 million for Tanner Glass.
Agreed, but I don't like being tied to guys like Glass for 3 years though, that is my problem with a deal like that. Same reason I am not a fan of Thorburn's contract.

Glass works his ass off, but he is a still a 12th/13th forward, IMO. He does his best to block shots and finish his checks, but often struggles to get the puck out, make a breakout pass or takeaway the defenseman as a passing option. He adds basically zero offense, struggles with puck on the rush, does not have the speed to carry the puck through the neutral zone. There are plenty of players who can do the job he does cheaper and we don't have commit ourselves to a long deal with a guy who wouldn't crack a good roster.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:44 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I like Glass, but there's nothing he does that Cormier or Machacek can't.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:00 AM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
I like Glass, but there's nothing he does that Cormier or Machacek can't.
Don't sell Machacek short he may actually put the puck in the net something Glass doesn't do very well. Not a fan of Glass.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
Glass is by all accounts both a good teammate and a good member of the community. If he doesn't sign with the Jets he'll find employment elsewhere. To suggest "don't let the door hit you on the way out" or to refer to him as a "dime a dozen" type is a bit unfair. He isn't a dime a dozen player, he is an NHL player and very few of those jobs are available. Every single one of you would kill to trade places with him.

I'm pretty much ambivalent as to whether or not he stays; regardless, he accorded himself very well in Winnipeg during his time as a Jet and had nothing but positive things to say about the city and the organization during his time here.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Glass is by all accounts both a good teammate and a good member of the community. If he doesn't sign with the Jets he'll find employment elsewhere. To suggest "don't let the door hit you on the way out" or to refer to him as a "dime a dozen" type is a bit unfair. He isn't a dime a dozen player, he is an NHL player and very few of those jobs are available. Every single one of you would kill to trade places with him.

I'm pretty much ambivalent as to whether or not he stays; regardless, he accorded himself very well in Winnipeg during his time as a Jet and had nothing but positive things to say about the city and the organization during his time here.
Don't take what I am saying too far out of context. My intent is that Tanner Glass is a dime a dozen player IN the NHL IN the role he plays. They're everywhere. They grow on trees.

In my opinion, and I am NOT trying to discredit Tanner Glass, but I think I could name an abundance of comparable players to Tanner Glass that are UFA in 2 weeks, not to mention the abundance playing in the league right now. Again, no disrespect intended, but 4th line players, crashers and bangers, your lunch pail and hard hat guys... are the absolute easiest piece of the puzzle to acquire and have, in my opinion.

Edit; I do not intend to undervalue the sort of player Glass is and the role he plays, perhaps it's the most difficult both physically and emotionally that there is in this great game. But I still believe these type of players are easy to find and acquire.

Last edited by Guerzy: 06-15-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old
06-15-2012, 10:16 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
I'm not taking anything out of context; I agree he is replaceable.

Was actually just providing some additional context to a thread about a guy that has been nothing but supportive to both Winnipeg and to the Jets organization during his time here.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:20 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
I'm not taking anything out of context; I agree he is replaceable.

Was actually just providing some additional context to a thread about a guy that has been nothing but supportive to both Winnipeg and to the Jets organization during his time here.
Which is great, by all means.

This is where I find it comforting to see Chevy and the org. not be loyal to a fault. We could easily give Glass a Slater type contract and be done with it, but that doesn't appear to be the case. This actually provides me some comfort in my hunch of our org. being too loyal to players who are rather replaceable or who we may be better off without (not saying we're better off without Glass).

Old
06-15-2012, 10:21 AM
roccerfeller
whiteout bromantic

from the article

Quote:

The GM recently told me: "We're not about leverage. We're about negotiating from a position of what's fair."

Word up Chevy.

I think he's a terrific GM, has some more learning to do, but for a young GM, TNSE certainly made a good choice.

roccerfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
from the article

Word up Chevy.

I think he's a terrific GM, has some more learning to do, but for a young GM, TNSE certainly made a good choice.
This actually may be mashing a bit with what Glass just said the other day in terms of using becoming a UFA to his advantage as a tool in negotiations, which by all means is acceptable, but as Chevy says, it's not just about leverage, it's about what is fair, and I have no doubt Chevy is being fair in terms of market value for a player such as Tanner Glass and the role he occupies.

There is market value, then there is salary inflation market value driven up due by UFA rights. Generally paying the inflated price due to UFA rights makes you regret it, especially on guys who play 4th line roles, there is no need to overpay for that role. Slater could have easily gotten 2 million on the open market, in my opinion, maybe even 2.2-2.5 if a team wanted him as their third line center, but he didn't go that route. Not every player will do that, and I respect that and see why, but I am very happy with what Slater did.

Last edited by Guerzy: 06-15-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old
06-15-2012, 10:45 AM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
This actually may be mashing a bit with what Glass just said the other day in terms of using becoming a UFA to his advantage as a tool in negotiations, which by all means is acceptable, but as Chevy says, it's not just about leverage, it's about what is fair, and I have no doubt Chevy is being fair in terms of market value for a player such as Tanner Glass and the role he occupies.

There is market value, then there is salary inflation market value driven up due by UFA rights. Generally paying the inflated price due to UFA rights makes you regret it, especially on guys who play 4th line roles, there is no need to overpay for that role. Slater could have easily gotten 2 million on the open market, in my opinion, maybe even 2.2-2.5 if a team wanted him as their third line center, but he didn't go that route. Not every player will do that, and I respect that and see why, but I am very happy with what Slater did.
Yes. I was beginning to think that franchise players and loyalty came second to how much they can make in another market. Slater's been with the Thrasherjet organisation since being drafted.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:47 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 234
I really like Glass but I have to agree with everyone else here. The Jets can't afford to pay someone who's limited to 4th line duties much over $1M/yr. $1.2M/yr over 3 years would probably be the biggest contract I'd be alright with for Glass. The unfortunate reality of the role of a checker is that there's always a million players like that looking for work in the NHL.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:14 PM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Agreed, but I don't like being tied to guys like Glass for 3 years though, that is my problem with a deal like that. Same reason I am not a fan of Thorburn's contract.

Glass works his ass off, but he is a still a 12th/13th forward, IMO. He does his best to block shots and finish his checks, but often struggles to get the puck out, make a breakout pass or takeaway the defenseman as a passing option. He adds basically zero offense, struggles with puck on the rush, does not have the speed to carry the puck through the neutral zone. There are plenty of players who can do the job he does cheaper and we don't have commit ourselves to a long deal with a guy who wouldn't crack a good roster.
His biggest weakness last season. Nail on the head with that one. We probably can find someone much cheaper that feels the same role. I wouldn't want to pay Glass anymore then Thorburn makes.

BigTuna49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
This a hundred times.

We need a player with Tootoo's grit, and this season has proven that he can produce well for a fourth liner. A line of Thorburn-Slater-Tootoo would be dynamite, and would intimidate other teams without question.

I can also see Tootoo wanting to play in Winnipeg. He was born in Churchill, and his family lives in Rankin Inlet. It's extremely expensive to fly south from Rankin. Winnipeg (along with Edmonton) is, by far, the cheapest city to fly to from there. Tootoo is the kind of guy who loves the cold weather, and who would fit in perfectly here.

As I said months ago, I really, really want Tootoo on this team.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
This a hundred times.

We need a player with Tootoo's grit, and this season has proven that he can produce well for a fourth liner. A line of Thorburn-Slater-Tootoo would be dynamite, and would intimidate other teams without question.

I can also see Tootoo wanting to play in Winnipeg. He was born in Churchill, and his family lives in Rankin Inlet. It's extremely expensive to fly south from Rankin. Winnipeg (along with Edmonton) is, by far, the cheapest city to fly to from there. Tootoo is the kind of guy who loves the cold weather, and who would fit in perfectly here.

As I said months ago, I really, really want Tootoo on this team.
I can echo this, not only do I want Tootoo here, I would love Tootoo here.